Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?

mscdivina2016

Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?

• NO
    • Yes but only with adult supervision at all times
    • Yes but with Adults only times for the pool
    • Yes, but not in the pool
    • yes, but have an attendant on duty who is not tipped

Of course NCL designed the area for families. The whole ship is designed for families of all shapes and sizes. Some travel with young children, but others with teens, adult siblings, and older parents. To imply that they designed it for little kids is a stretch. The 2nd bedroom is not decorated in a children's theme, there are no slides or play areas in the Haven.

There are plenty of places for kids to play on the ships other than the Haven. I should know, I've been sailing in the Haven with my son for over 10 years. When he's in the Haven, he reads, listens to music with headphones, plays games on his electronic devices, and swims QUIETLY in the pool. When he wants to be more active, we LEAVE the Haven. It's no hardship. Good parenting doesn't involve just entertaining your children, but not imposing them on others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, kids need to play! Isn't it wonderful that on NCL's ships there are water slides, rock climbing walls, ropes courses, zip lines, mini-golf, arcades, sport zones, and kids clubs. That's a truly amazing assortment of activities. Yet, NCL didn't put any of those things in the Haven. If the Haven had a water slide, I'd say that would send a clear message that the space was meant for child's play. But it doesn't. The advertising photos for the Haven show a quiet retreat, not a playground.

I'm an elementary school teacher and mother. I LOVE kids. But, there's a time an place for shouting and running around. The Haven is too small of a place for kids to do that without disturbing other guests.

Agree 100% with you. The advertising photos for the Haven show a quiet retreat, not a playground. Let the kids have their fun outside the Haven where NCL put their playground.

Here's a link to NCL's promotional video on their YouTube channel advertising the Haven. It is marketed as being TRANQUIL. Doesn't look like the young children's playground a few of you say it is.

Don't know if you noticed, but in the Haven pool in that video were children jumping up and down.

And no, I'm not taking my 4 year old to the main pool deck when I paid Haven prices so she could swim in a safe pool. She will not be yelling or running, but she will be swimming and likely talking to me in a normal conversational tone.

If that offends you, perhaps the problem is not my 4 year old.

Edited by Starflyr3

Here's a link to NCL's promotional video on their YouTube channel advertising the Haven. It is marketed as being TRANQUIL. Doesn't look like the young children's playground a few of you say it is.

Just going to point out that they do specifically call out children in the second bedroom in their promotional materials.

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-accommodations/the-haven

Look at the description of the Family villa.

I also want to point out all those fun things you pointed out with the exception of the kid's clubs are for everyone on the ship, not just children just like Haven amenities are for everyone that paid to stay there.

My daughter will be using the Haven pool as will the children of my friends that are also staying Haven. All the kids are well behaved but I don't expect them to sit around on a towel and stare off into empty space like some kind of stepford TV child either.

We paid to stay in the Haven and we are going to use the facilities we paid for which include the safer pool and not having to fight everyone and their precious place saving book for a seat on deck nowhere near the "family pool".

Edited by Tasm3n

And how do you know who bought upsells?

A. Many are posting here

B. Some have told me on board about their deals

I was speaking in general terms that not all that in the haven paid a bundle.

Of course NCL designed the area for families. The whole ship is designed for families of all shapes and sizes. Some travel with young children, but others with teens, adult siblings, and older parents. To imply that they designed it for little kids is a stretch. The 2nd bedroom is not decorated in a children's theme, there are no slides or play areas in the Haven.

There are plenty of places for kids to play on the ships other than the Haven. I should know, I've been sailing in the Haven with my son for over 10 years. When he's in the Haven, he reads, listens to music with headphones, plays games on his electronic devices, and swims QUIETLY in the pool. When he wants to be more active, we LEAVE the Haven. It's no hardship. Good parenting doesn't involve just entertaining your children, but not imposing them on others.

You are my favorite poster today.

Then perhaps they should have made a safer family pool and put the 2 bedrooms suites outside of the Haven. Just saying...

No, maybe parents should make sure their kids are respectful of others and not running thru the Haven (which isn't safe anyway). Swimming and playing in the pool is fine and normal to me. Running and throwing things and possibly knocking people down outside of the pool is just wrong.

I have never stayed in the Haven, but it seems people are reporting completely unsupervised young kids. Where are these parents? Aren't they worried their kids could get hurt or in trouble? Or is it just easier to not care and let them bother other people? I guess as long as they aren't bothering their parents, it is cool by them?

No, maybe parents should make sure their kids are respectful of others and not running thru the Haven (which isn't safe anyway). Swimming and playing in the pool is fine and normal to me. Running and throwing things and possibly knocking people down outside of the pool is just wrong.

I have never stayed in the Haven, but it seems people are reporting completely unsupervised young kids. Where are these parents? Aren't they worried their kids could get hurt or in trouble? Or is it just easier to not care and let them bother other people? I guess as long as they aren't bothering their parents, it is cool by them?

I don't disagree about parents watching their children. They absolutely SHOULD do that. Unsupervised children is not ok.

Well behaved (though given this thread that appears to be a very subjective idea) children and adults for that matter should not be a problem for anyone. But for some folks in this thread, the mere presence of a child, regardless of behavior, is not acceptable in the Haven.

I don't believe I saw anyone in this thread condoning a live action version of 'Lord of the Flies' in the Haven. Those of us with kids that booked Haven simply don't want to get the stink eye for deigning to have our children there nor do we appreciate that implication that somehow this means we aren't parenting correctly.

Children are NOT the issue. Adults are.

Adults that don't watch their kids.

Adults that don't watch their own behavior.

Adults that think they are more important than anyone else on the same boat.

Perhaps rather then just having people follow the rules(who reads those boards on the wall anyway? I mean I do but general masses I have found not so much) is as part of that introduction to the Haven's talk they also go over guidelines of how parents should supervise their children along with the rules they are to follow in the havens spaces. That way not only can the parents learn what they need to do, the kids learn what is expected of them, and others without kids also know what to expect in the space.

At that point they go over no running in the lounges or pool, no splashing outside of the pool, no diving/cannon balls/belly flops into the pool, no throwing things, and no hot tub without your parent in the hot tub with you unless you are 16 or older(which I get is the jest of the rules) which are all actually pretty common sense things in a small pool like you all explain. After completing the brief the children get a wrist band and parents and children sign a agreement to follow the rules. Consequences would be

1st infraction, warning and their wristband would get a punch.

2nd infraction in the same day, extraction from the Haven area for the day.

2 days of being "kicked out" of the Haven spaces for the day and they loose their wristband and ability to use the Haven space.

A pool is not a baby sitter, and your kids running through several places means they clearly are not supervised hence you fail in your duties as a parent which is to keep your children safe. While it says you need to supervise your own children how many would sue the pants off NCL if their little one was damaged due to slipping from running, or drowning while unsupervised swimming? Every last one.

Lastly, I have never been in the Havens and though I had contemplated it now thing my money is best spent elsewhere since what I thought the Havens was, is not what they actually are. Perhaps Vibe...

I like kids, I raised mine. He was always respectful and the Grandma's and Grandpa's LOVED him on our Azamara cruise(1 of the last before they no longer allowed children) but he certainly did not run, jump or dive and was always with me(no kids club) because that is my job as a parent.

Don't want to watch or pay attention to your kids, get your mom and dad or a sitter to watch them and don't bring them(will save you some dough too!!). Parenting doesn't stop until one or the other of you is dead.

Edited by tgirl25

In reference to the earlier post I made (#29), here's a photo to show where the boy was jumping from - he climbed over the railing on the deck above and was trying to jump into the tiny pool below.

d8ba94c7c418bbfa8d8d0d6d19201dc4.jpg

Also, it's fine to have kids swim in the pool, but these courtyards are not as big as they look. If a child is doing anything more than quietly swimming in the pool, that guy on the Bali bed is going to get splashed. (Admittedly, the newer Courtyards are bigger, but still not huge). dd3098d306d02281ca99e85d80963e51.jpg

I don't have a problem with kids swimming in the pool or being in the Haven. I bring my own son! But some kids are out of control and nothing is being done.

Why can't NCL have Adult Only hours or some kind of guidelines posted? Why does it have to be all or nothing/black or white? The argument that "I'm paying a fortune for this cruise, so I'm going to do whatever I want" is selfish. Most people are paying the big bucks. Seems like no one wants to compromise.

Edited by cruisewmn

I know the Haven has the reputation (and it IS a reputation) of out-of-control children at certain times of the year.

Also, there are posts here that complain that the Haven people get early dibs on the Vibe passes. That, to me, is just crazy. You pay so much for a Haven and still have to pay more for Vibe passes. :confused:

So we booked MSC's Yacht Club.

Is there a chance we will have children there also?

Yes. I don't have a problem/or a worry about that.

Out of control. Maybe. Although there doesn't seem to be many reviews complaining of that.

MSC Yacht Club. It's more reasonably priced also.

I'll let you know how it is when we get back.:)

I just cancelled what would have been my first MSC cruise, also Yacht Club, was less expensive than a regular balcony cabin on DCL for similar itinerary. Doing UK/Iceland. Doing an Alaskan NCL (also first time) instead..but look forward to MSC in 2018!

OP- I travel alone with my small child. After this opportunity with NCL came up I have been trying to research the line.. If our cruise was a different itinerary I would consider the Haven. If you google "best cruise lines for families" Norwegian will be one of them. There are several lines that are not. If I had my way we would be doing Azamara, but I don't want dirty looks from the rest of the passengers during the entire trip.

Edited by disneygirl10

Why can't NCL have Adult Only hours or some kind of guidelines posted? Why does it have to be all or nothing/black or white? The argument that "I'm paying a fortune for this cruise, so I'm going to do whatever I want" is selfish. Most people are paying the big bucks. Seems like no one wants to compromise.

Maybe a good compromise would be to have a children hours (parents would be allowed), adult hours and everyone hours. This way kids and can be kids without bothering anyone and adults can be adults without bothering anyone.

Maybe a good compromise would be to have a children hours (parents would be allowed), adult hours and everyone hours. This way kids and can be kids without bothering anyone and adults can be adults without bothering anyone.

Great idea!

Don't know if you noticed, but in the Haven pool in that video were children jumping up and down.

And no, I'm not taking my 4 year old to the main pool deck when I paid Haven prices so she could swim in a safe pool. She will not be yelling or running, but she will be swimming and likely talking to me in a normal conversational tone.

If that offends you, perhaps the problem is not my 4 year old.

I've reviewed the the video several times and can't see what you're talking about. I saw kids swimming in the pool, but I didn't see any children jumping up and down. Just normal, completely appropriate behavior.

I have no problem with your 4 year old, but I do have a problem with you trying to make this personal. People should be able to disagree without attacking each other.

You left out a key answer, that being a simple YES with no qualification.

Wow it took all of 1 post to point out the obvious . I am impressed !

If I was willing and able( not anytime soon ) to spend the money for Haven with my kids of grandkids ,

I would certainly except no restriction on them at the pool . The question itself is ridiculous .

Edited to add there should be the normal restrictions that minors face in other parts of the ship .

Edited by richstowe

PERFECT. two for two :) Gerry.

Yes, kids need to play! Isn't it wonderful that on NCL's ships there are water slides, rock climbing walls, ropes courses, zip lines, mini-golf, arcades, sport zones, and kids clubs. That's a truly amazing assortment of activities. Yet, NCL didn't put any of those things in the Haven. If the Haven had a water slide, I'd say that would send a clear message that the space was meant for child's play. But it doesn't. The advertising photos for the Haven show a quiet retreat, not a playground.

I'm an elementary school teacher and mother. I LOVE kids. But, there's a time an place for shouting and running around. The Haven is too small of a place for kids to do that without disturbing other guests.

I don't disagree about parents watching their children. They absolutely SHOULD do that. Unsupervised children is not ok.

Well behaved (though given this thread that appears to be a very subjective idea) children and adults for that matter should not be a problem for anyone. But for some folks in this thread, the mere presence of a child, regardless of behavior, is not acceptable in the Haven.

I don't believe I saw anyone in this thread condoning a live action version of 'Lord of the Flies' in the Haven. Those of us with kids that booked Haven simply don't want to get the stink eye for deigning to have our children there nor do we appreciate that implication that somehow this means we aren't parenting correctly.

Children are NOT the issue. Adults are.

Adults that don't watch their kids.

Adults that don't watch their own behavior.

Adults that think they are more important than anyone else on the same boat.

Agreed

In reference to the earlier post I made (#29), here's a photo to show where the boy was jumping from - he climbed over the railing on the deck above and was trying to jump into the tiny pool below.

d8ba94c7c418bbfa8d8d0d6d19201dc4.jpg

Also, it's fine to have kids swim in the pool, but these courtyards are not as big as they look. If a child is doing anything more than quietly swimming in the pool, that guy on the Bali bed is going to get splashed. (Admittedly, the newer Courtyards are bigger, but still not huge). dd3098d306d02281ca99e85d80963e51.jpg

I don't have a problem with kids swimming in the pool or being in the Haven. I bring my own son! But some kids are out of control and nothing is being done.

Seriously? The kid climbed over the railing up above?? Where in the world were the parents?? I can't stand safety issues because it makes me so nervous to see a kid possible break his neck. I would not have reenable to relax at all. I don't want to be responsible for keeping other people's kids safe (especially around water) while the parents are out partying or doing whatever it is when people aren't watching their kids in pools.

Lots of places have dangers if you stray away from sensible. A cruise ship can be quite high on the danger spectrum. The ship designers try to make the ship as safe as possible for everyone, but there are always those who see the safety restrictions as a challenge. Excess alcohol can easily blind adults from taking the sort of risks that that would not take when sober.

Children have a really serious problem with danger because they think they are immortal. Supervision is the built-in animal process that counters that reduces that danger. I have to assume that the youngster trying to fly from the balcony into that pool would not be trying it if his parents were around.

As parents it is up to us to educate our offspring how to behave sensibly when we are not around, and it is up to us to decide when to supervise and when to let them explore the world of danger that is growing up.

The Haven actually has two items with fairly deep water that would represent an attraction to any immortal being, so everyone in that category should be properly supervised. So for me children yes, but not without their responsible adult being within sight and awake.

Can we kick out some of the adults...because some behave worse than some kids...

Hours for adults in the pool only...come on... I would say 80% of the time I was in the Haven there was no one in the pool (except my kids...and maybe one more) and hardly anyone in the pool area... so if there were "selected" hours and no one using it, the kids would just have to wait???

As per how to find out who's Haven and who's upsell...just ask but that's just rude in my opinion. Those who had the upsell would not have all the perks...figure that out then you will know...

Why would children allowed to be sidelined as no other group? There are lots of other ways to slice the population. This is just an attempt by people without children to get more from their fare than people with children. If there is an unruly customer, that customer should be dealt with, but no one should be singled out as inappropriate a setting that is appropriate for all.

Some adults need supervision more than the kids.

Look if you don't want kids around cruise during the off season. You get much fewer children in general on the ship and much lower prices. Stay in a Haven spa cabin no kids, buy a vibe pass no kids.

Stay away from summer break, spring break and winter break.

Even sailing on a full ship with a the Haven full of large family groups and yes the horror of kids laughing and playing in the pool. The Haven is still a quiet retreat from the roar and chaos of the pool deck. Its a much different environment with 5 kids playing than 500.

There are quiet areas in the Haven at least on Escape up on deck 19. Its beautiful with no kids.

If you don't want to set eyes on anyone under 4 ft tall without a credit card. You better get off the ships with water slides ropes course and look into another cruise line because NCL is not for you period.

Just like I won't book a HAL cruise because its not a good fit for us my kids well teens would be bored to tears all week. You have to find the line that works for you. But you can not have both worlds sorry no water slides and nightlife without kids around.

Seriously? The kid climbed over the railing up above?? Where in the world were the parents?? I can't stand safety issues because it makes me so nervous to see a kid possible break his neck. I would not have reenable to relax at all. I don't want to be responsible for keeping other people's kids safe (especially around water) while the parents are out partying or doing whatever it is when people aren't watching their kids in pools.

You are NOT responsible for other people's children. And if you "took action" and something went wrong, you could face consequences.

The best thing is "tell the parent". If the parent isn't there, it isn't your problem.

There are times when people get involved, with good intentions but the results are disastrous and the good samaritan gets blamed.