Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?

mscdivina2016

Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?

• NO
    • Yes but only with adult supervision at all times
    • Yes but with Adults only times for the pool
    • Yes, but not in the pool
    • yes, but have an attendant on duty who is not tipped

Wow so many rude responses.....The OP put up his own poll...if you didn't like it why even respond? People who respond negatively tend to be the ones who let their children act like wild animals regardless of Haven or not. You don't need to be part of the "Hilton Family" to like some peace and quiet from their kids or others on a vacation.....Now Playing Devils advocate I personally don't care if kids are in the Haven because 1, I haven't had a bad experience with kids in the Haven area...all were always well behaved and 2, I like kids and grew up with a huge extended family so I understand what it is like with kids wanting to play and families wanting to enjoy luxury as well. Eventually you just have to ask is being on a cruise the right fit for you or a Sandals Adults only resort is better. Or honestly the time of the year also plays a big factor....don't go during Summer, or School vacations which would probably help with that as well.

I thought cruising between the school holidays would be ideal; I was wrong. I didn't consider foreign vacationers!

On my Escape cruise a few groups with kids took much of the courtyard space. Seems as though they parked there for the day. The decibel level was high. Kids with their flippers, goggles, tubes and like apparatus were ever present in pool and hot tubs. There was screaming, running, wet hands in the candy jars.

I avoided the courtyard area the entire cruise and it was not a hardship. Kids were being kids and I do not expect them to be quiet "angels". The upper deck w/ hot tub, loungers,and good service was sufficient. Fortunately we had great weather.

It's silly to think it will ever be adults only. I follow quite a few ships/cruises and, in general, there are usually many cabins available 6 weeks out (sometimes with price reductions). Then the up sells start sometime after with significant discounts. IMO, the pricing has become ridiculously high in many instances.

Ever since the Epic's expanded Haven areas, NCL has been downsizing them while adding cabins. I understand business, as in you want to capitalize of the popular areas, but I think they took it too far and it appears to me to be greedy.

Come to think of it, they have been downsizing the main pool area(s) too. I still am puzzled as to how small the pool and deck areas are on the Escape. IMO, it's claustrophobic. I would think that is one of the most popular areas on any cruise ship.

I have he same thoughts about the Atrium.

I think a compromise is needed the Haven courtyard area. At the very least ban all toys, goggles, flippers and the like, in the hot tubs. Make one of the two hot tubs adults only.

The kids do have heir own pool area on the ship, but my understanding is parents don't like it due to lack of seating/viewing area. Might be something for NCL to think about "fixing".

My last cruise on the Pearl, I had to stop a 10 year old child who had climbed over the railing on the upstairs sundeck and was about to jump into the courtyard pool a deck below. His parents were no where to be found. On another cruise, kids had an M&M and gummy bear fight spreading candy all over the haven. I don't mind well behaved kids in the pool, but this is ridiculous. On Seabourn, we had a letter waiting in our cabin upon embarkation stating that our son should follow the rules: no running or shouting in the hallways and no splashing in the pool. There were quite a few kids onboard - so many that Seabourn set up a kid's club. We never saw bad behavior. Why can't NCL do the same for the Haven?

Edited by cruisewmn

We all know they are currently allowed there now, thus the title of "should".

I remember a poll years back about "Should they ban smoking on Balconies" and look what happened. I suppose that served no purpose as well? Can you smoke in your Balcony now?

Some ships offer 'Adults only area's" which if the Haven went that way I would book that instead. I would be surprised if in the future we don't see an Adults only situation.

You really need to move to Seaborne instead of cruising the mass market lines. they are all designed for lots of kids.

I know the Haven has the reputation (and it IS a reputation) of out-of-control children at certain times of the year.

Also, there are posts here that complain that the Haven people get early dibs on the Vibe passes. That, to me, is just crazy. You pay so much for a Haven and still have to pay more for Vibe passes. :confused:

So we booked MSC's Yacht Club.

Is there a chance we will have children there also?

Yes. I don't have a problem/or a worry about that.

Out of control. Maybe. Although there doesn't seem to be many reviews complaining of that.

MSC Yacht Club. It's more reasonably priced also.

I'll let you know how it is when we get back.:)

I'm going on MSC for the first time in 2018 and we'll also be in the Yacht Club.

I look forward to your unbiased review. On the MSC board, most favor the Yacht Club. On the NCL board, most favor the Haven.

I have about 20 months to wait and form my own review.:(

I don't think it's skewed at all. They mentioned yes to children with supervision. That is the way it should be anyhow and anywhere on a ship or off a ship. And I say this in support of allowing children in the Haven.

It is skewed because not every child needs to be supervised, some adults do though

MSC, you should redo the poll, just broader. Just a simple question: Does NCL do an adequate job enforcing the existing rules about parent supervision of minors on their ships? Yes or No. Maybe that would better send the message you are looking for.

I know the Haven has the reputation (and it IS a reputation) of out-of-control children at certain times of the year.

Also, there are posts here that complain that the Haven people get early dibs on the Vibe passes. That, to me, is just crazy. You pay so much for a Haven and still have to pay more for Vibe passes. :confused:

So we booked MSC's Yacht Club.

Is there a chance we will have children there also?

Yes. I don't have a problem/or a worry about that.

Out of control. Maybe. Although there doesn't seem to be many reviews complaining of that.

I was in YC on Divina a couple of months ago. There was only one little girl, about five, that was uncontained. Her parents (Americans) allowed her to run the halls, tapdance in the Top Sail for hours, scream murder if she didn't get her way and generally behave unacceptably. They were next to my cabin and I saw them in the hall...noted that they were my neighbors and very sincerely told then to let me know of the screaming and jumping from my cabin was bothering them ;). The quiet increased notably....

Another factor is that most of the YC cabins only sleep two, so families of six aren't cramming themselves into one room.

In actuality, the Courtyard was to be an elegant adult area, not a family camp.

I was in YC on Divina a couple of months ago. There was only one little girl' date=' about five, that was uncontained. Her parents (Americans) allowed her to run the halls, tapdance in the Top Sail for hours, scream murder if she didn't get her way and generally behave unacceptably. They were next to my cabin and I saw them in the hall...noted that they were my neighbors and very sincerely told then to let me know of the screaming and jumping from my cabin was bothering them ;). The quiet increased notably....

Another factor is that most of the YC cabins only sleep two, so families of six aren't cramming themselves into one room.

In actuality, the Courtyard was to be an elegant adult area, not a family camp.[/quote']

Tell that to the 2 bedroom suites that surrounds the Courtyard.

Smh at the ................!!!!!

Tell that to the 2 bedroom suites that surrounds the Courtyard.

Smh at the ................!!!!!

I stayed in one with just my Sister.. was nice.. and to be honest more than say 3 in total for whole room would start to feel cramped. That is the problem though .. having the 2 BRs in the courtyard area, but as I said it was nice for just 2 people even.. They should make this a true oasis for adults.

Edited by Kosi

I think its so sad that the kids get the bad rap when I put total blame the parents. These days parents don't believe in discipline so that is why we are subjected to kids that are totally out of control. When my kids were young they knew that they had better behave and not embarrass us by acting like they were wild animals. But the parents of these kids have taught them that it's their world and do whatever you like. That entitlement is taught at home. NCL should stop the upsell process and if a person can't afford the full price then so be it. If you pay the premium price then you come with a total different mindset.

I was just on the Breakaway in the Haven and the kids had totally taken over the hot tubs. They only got out to let their parents in. Very unfair because I didn't want to be in a hot tub with kids.

I totally agree with this... Upselling these rooms at lower prices brings in some strange family dynamics at times.

You left out a key answer, that being a simple YES with no qualification.

Exactly

That is why I did not vote either. The kids cruise fare is paid like everyone else. They are not second class passengers and are entitled to the same rights as everyone else.

The HAVEN is NOT an adults ONLY area. NCL encourages families to book Haven cabins. If you don't like being splashed in a pool, I suggest you stay away from pools. The Haven pool has always been the rich kid swimming pool.

Edited by david_sobe

I'll tell you what the hatred of kids is becoming more and more clear on this forum. I've had some questionable things said to me on here because I have 3 year old going on a cruise with us. This will be his second by the way, went 1st time just over a year old and all in all was very good.

I don't think any of the major cruise lines will ever do anything to discourage families from booking a cruise. It would be foolish to do so.

I don't think this is about kids but the permissive/absentee parenting. Let's face it, well-behaved kids don't happen by accident. Parents that think their little darlings don't need supervision and "hands-on" parenting are the problem. And I am speaking as a parent of three boys.

Edited by my3sonsnj

"We are trying to fill a gap that I think the cruise industry has overall missed. There are wonderful luxury ships out there, but if I put my kids on one of those luxury ships, I think they'd be disappointed. They'd say to me, "Dad, can we pick next year's vacation?" So, the idea of the Haven is to appeal to YOUNGER affluent couples AND FAMILIES who enjoy the good things in life. They like butlers and concierges and private pools and private restaurants - private everything. BUT they want to be able to duck in to 27 restaurants, to see a Broadway show, and have the kids have a blast in the kids center. Or just a couple want to meet other, younger people and have some fun.

That is the objective here."

-Andy Stuart, at the launch of the Breakaway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci7CYu81Ass

so, yeah. Good luck with making the Haven "adults only".

I dont like rowdy kids in the Haven, either (and yes, I police/supervise mine), but they are NOT targeting older adults who no longer have children. They are SPECIFICALLY targeting families. So no, it's not going to change.

I left it out on purpose because you are required to supervise your kids.

PARENTAL AND GUARDIAN RESPONSIBILITY For purposes of this Guest Conduct Policy, a minor is defined as anyone under the age of 18. A young adult is defined as anyone ages 18, 19 or 20. Parents and guardians are responsible for the behavior and appropriate supervision of their accompanying minor(s) and young adult(s) throughout their vacation. This obligation applies during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at our ports of call, during shore excursions and at our private destinations. This responsibility applies at all times, regardless of whether the parents and guardians are physically in the company of their minor(s) and young adult(s).

AGE POLICIES

FACILITY AGE REQUIREMENT Kids Crew Ages 2 through 17, with age-specific sections. Must be potty trained and no age bumping permitted. Pools ** Guests must be fully toilet trained to enter the pools or hot tubs. Therefore, guests in diapers, pull-ups or swimmers may not use the pools or hot tubs, even if accompanied by a parent or adult guardian. Hot Tubs ** Under age 16 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian. Guests must be fully toilet trained to enter the pools or hot tubs. Therefore, guests in diapers, pull-ups or swimmers may not use the pools or hot tubs, even if accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.

I personally would not want kids in the Haven. Maybe 16 and above, as long

as they behave themselves. When your paying a premium, whether it's a private golf club or the Haven, they have should have very tough restrictions on kids, when and where they can come and go! You don't see

kids running wild through private clubs!

This is a strange thread - soliciting views on whether those who can afford premium accommodations should be insulated from other people's badly behaving children, while everyone else should just suck it up. It also ignores the fact that some adults also negatively impact peoples' experience.

Better to just make it clear that disruptive behavior, on the part of adults as well as children, even if they occupy the cheapest inside cabins, will result in the removal from the ship at the next port of call of the bad actor - along with everyone sailing with the perpetrator --- and making the rule stick by enforcing it. Frankly, in my experience bad behavior by adults is just as offensive.

"We are trying to fill a gap that I think the cruise industry has overall missed. There are wonderful luxury ships out there, but if I put my kids on one of those luxury ships, I think they'd be disappointed. They'd say to me, "Dad, can we pick next year's vacation?" So, the idea of the Haven is to appeal to YOUNGER affluent couples AND FAMILIES who enjoy the good things in life. They like butlers and concierges and private pools and private restaurants - private everything. BUT they want to be able to duck in to 27 restaurants, to see a Broadway show, and have the kids have a blast in the kids center. Or just a couple want to meet other, younger people and have some fun.

That is the objective here."

-Andy Stuart, at the launch of the Breakaway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci7CYu81Ass

so, yeah. Good luck with making the Haven "adults only".

I dont like rowdy kids in the Haven, either (and yes, I police/supervise mine), but they are NOT targeting older adults who no longer have children. They are SPECIFICALLY targeting families. So no, it's not going to change.

NCL is then going to have to cheapen Haven rooms like all the rooms they have made so cheap that is almost cheaper to cruise for the week than stay at home.. (no joke). NCL in my believe won't be here in years coming . They will have no staying power.

NCL is then going to have to cheapen Haven rooms like all the rooms they have made so cheap that is almost cheaper to cruise for the week than stay at home.. (no joke). NCL in my believe won't be here in years coming . They will have no staying power.

They'll have me and many other families like mine. if you want to find a different line that better suits your needs, go right on ahead. Im happy to pay Haven prices for myself and my family (including kids (currently 4 and 8)), AND supervise my kids while Im there, too.

You left out a key answer, that being a simple YES with no qualification.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's a very slanted poll. It's a yes no question, not a "yes, but" question.

There are way more yeses than nos but hard to see that with this poll.

SUPERVISION is the "key" word here i feel. I have been in the haven that the courtyard is the (play) babysitting area that families that have many cabins children gather while the parents are still sleeping or are in other areas of the ship. Seeing it is mostly an enclosed area with the cabins surrounding the courtyard it is an ideal area to tell them to go out and play without parents around.