What is the appeal or value of Johnny Rockets cover charge?

Not trying to entice flamers just wondering....

Recently back from Majesty of the Seas, and saw the Johnny Rockets restaurant, with a $6.95 cover charge. Other than shakes, what benefit is there from paying the cover? Our group of 4 didn't go in, since we couldn't justify the $28 charge, so I'm asking in advance of the next trip.

I understand the food quality is better, burgers, fries, onion rings, and unlimited, but all the other food was unlimited as well.

So just asking. I did read on here that you don't have to pay cover if you just want to get a shake to go, which would have been nice to know. And with premium drink package, free soft drinks wouldn't have mattered either.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Not sure I understand the question.

The value is that you cannot get the food without paying the $7.

If you are asking if the food is better than other venues on the ship, taste is subjective, only you can answer that question.

In my opinion the value is in the fact that you can see your food being prepared fresh in front of you. It is hot, just off the grill.

In the WJ, those burgers were cooked who knows when and sit under heat lamps. No so with JR.

Johnny Rockets is a land-based restaurant. Not bad food, but on the ship, it's not the complete menu. When it was $3.95, it was a good value....but at $6.95, not so much!

If you are tired of the WJ burgers, then a JR burger might do the trick!

I have had Johnny Rockets food on land once. It wasn't worth it...to me. Now the shakes are worth it....but no cover charge to get one....and usually we have a BOGO offer for a shake so DH and I enjoy one when on board.

The breakfast offerings are nice and fresh made. So if you are on a ship that offer the JR breakfast as part of your cruise fare....I would do it for one breakfast....but that is it.

Haven't used JR's since it was free. No way I'll spend $7 pp for a so-so burger. And the fries in the WJ are very, very good, so no point in paying for those. Desserts are always available in either the Cafe Promenade or WJ, tho I agree the WJ has lame desserts, except for the ice cream at dinner.

I thought Johnny Rockets was very subpar.

I thought that on my very first cruise Voyager in 06. Had pretty good times and food on Freedom in 08 and 15. I've enjoyed it on both Oasis and Allure. I just wish they would go back to having a coupon that eliminates the cover charge the way it use to. We restrict our sugar somewhat and prefer to share a shake if we get one, so the BOGO isn't as appealling at the FREE COVER coupon we use to get.

People have odd and unique taste.

We have JR in Orlando. I've never once been impressed on land, so I'm definitely not going on the ship. We used the 2-for-1 shake coupon once and it was ok... we're not huge shake people and it won't hurt my feelings to never do that again.

We have friends from the Midwest that think Bahama Breeze is the single best restaurant in the universe. They associate BB with their trips to Orlando and their honeymoon and their most fun vacations. They don't have BB at home.

They are ABSOLUTELY FLOORED when we tell them the only time we ever go there is when they are in town and insist on us meeting them there.

They rave about BB like it was the 2nd coming. They have the best drinks. They have the best shrimp. Everyone who works there is the most hilarious human that they have ever met. They follow BB on social media. They plan nights around it. Bahama Breeze is their personal party restaurant.

BUT HEY... I bank on hitting Skyline Chili every single time I'm in Ohio, so who am I to talk? To each their own.

My wife and I have this conversation with everyone of our friends that goes on cruises with us and not one person has said that they would pay the cover for JR. And this comes from people who pay for specialty restaurants all the time.

We have two kids, so it's $28 for us to go eat burgers and fries---I don't get it.

People have odd and unique taste.

We have friends from the Midwest that think Bahama Breeze is the single best restaurant in the universe. They associate BB with their trips to Orlando and their honeymoon and their most fun vacations. They don't have BB at home.

They are ABSOLUTELY FLOORED when we tell them the only time we ever go there is when they are in town and insist on us meeting them there.

Same here...We have friends that request that restaurant every time they come to South Florida. It's the first words out of their mouth when we talk to them.

I could be wrong but haven't people successfully ordered 'to go' at JR to avoid the cover charge. Did I imagine that thread? [emoji15]

You can get milkshakes to go, without the food cover charge, but I don't know of a way to get the food (dine in or to go) without paying the cover.

Different strokes for different folks. We've enjoyed JR on a few ships but haven't taken advantage in a while. On the Oasis class there are so many other options and on other classes it's like out of sight out of mind.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I won't eat at JR on land so to me there is no value whatsoever. Better as in better than the hockey pucks they try to pass off as a burger in the buffet? Marginally. But when I cruise I avoid the same food I can get at home. So you won't find me scarfing down burgers and fries as a general rule

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Back in the day, before the cover charge, kids would takeover the restaurant to hangout, drink shakes and chat all day long. It was darn near impossible as couple or a family to get in there for lunch. We were told when they implemented the cover-charge, it was to stop that from occurring, which it did. It was fine then because they gave us the free mail coupon in the C&A booklet. But of course they eliminated that when the pay-for-meals aboard became so popular.

Back in the day, before the cover charge, kids would takeover the restaurant to hangout, drink shakes and chat all day long. It was darn near impossible as couple or a family to get in there for lunch. We were told when they implemented the cover-charge, it was to stop that from occurring, which it did. It was fine then because they gave us the free mail coupon in the C&A booklet. But of course they eliminated that when the pay-for-meals aboard became so popular.

Yep, that is the way I remember it. The original JR on the Voyager was unfortunately placed right out side the teen area & it was free. Teens would order gobs of food and keep the place packed so that it was hard to get in. They implemented the $3.95 cover to keep that in check but gave coupons for one free visit or maybe BOGO. Not sure how it got to be so high since it never seemed to be in high demand after the cover was in place.

^ This. Agree with every word.

We have eaten at JR only twice in our years so that might tell you something. It was not memorable, for us. *shrug* I know many passengers LOVE it, but we just don't.

...I don't know of a way to get the food (dine in or to go) without paying the cover.
Last year one of our prizes for winning Progressive Trivia was a certificate for a free JR's meal for all of us, so there are ways of not paying the cover (but not worth the effort unless you like trivia).. First time I've eaten at JRs since the free coupon went away.

Thom