WARNING ! travel insurance thru your TA

skidroe

I choose to be self-insured for the deposit amount, and not purchase any form of travel insurance until I have paid for the travel in full. The only exception is in a circumstance in which the deposit is substantial--for example, our Antarctic cruise with Ponant in February has a 25% deposit, so I opted to insure that at time of booking.

I choose to be self-insured for the deposit amount, and not purchase any form of travel insurance until I have paid for the travel in full. The only exception is in a circumstance in which the deposit is substantial--for example, our Antarctic cruise with Ponant in February has a 25% deposit, so I opted to insure that at time of booking.

Deposits are refundable until final payment date anyway.

Do not see how this is your TA's fault unless there was an outright lie about the refundability of the insurance premium. Each of us is responsible to read the policy and see what is covered and what is not covered. Have never seen a policy that would refund your insurance payment for a personal reason cancellation - especially long after purchase.

Have also transferred insurance to another cruise or had it held in my 'bank', i.e. after my DH was gone, until I decided what to do.

Deposits are refundable until final payment date anyway.

Just to clarify, this is not always true. Depends on the terms that you can find on your cruise documents. If you are on a longer cruise like the 29 day Amazon Explorer (as 1 example), your deposit is in jeopardy at the 120 day point. Final payment for the same cruise was at the 87 day point, for me.

Read the fine print.

To the OP, expecting something for nothing usually yields nothing.

Edited by 0bnxshs

Just to clarify, this is not always true. Depends on the terms that you can find on your cruise documents. If you are on a longer cruise like the 29 day Amazon Explorer (as 1 example), your deposit is in jeopardy at the 120 day point. Final payment for the same cruise was at the 87 day point, for me.

I stand corrected. With a spouse still working, I've yet to get beyond a 15-day cruise. The point is, when you reserve that 29-day cruise a year out, your deposit isn't at risk. Reading the fine print is the first thing I do when presented with any contract.

We purchased our TA's travel insurance for our HAL May 2017 cruise. We had to pay the full cost of the travel insurance when the cruise was booked.

I DID NOT do enough research about the cancellation policy.

This week we decided to cancel the cruise because of personal reasons. Then we found out the insurance was NONREFUNDABLE after 14 days of purchase,

so we are out $1,000+ !

ONLY BUY HAL's cruise insurance.

I will not give out the insurance company's name for fear of ramifications to us.

DO YOU RESEARCH, I did not, and paid the price.

HAL's insurance is not paid until final payment is due 75 days before the cruse. Before that, there is no cost.

Perhaps if you transferred your deposit on the cruise to one in the future the travel insurance would follow it. That is how it works with our TA.

I stand corrected. With a spouse still working, I've yet to get beyond a 15-day cruise. The point is, when you reserve that 29-day cruise a year out, your deposit isn't at risk. Reading the fine print is the first thing I do when presented with any contract.

LOL, I only learned this when I booked the Amazon Explorer last October, thanks to the FCC on Maasdam at the time. Problem with that is, I had done a couple of longer cruises where I hadn't been quite so "aware"! :eek: It's a good thing to know though, even if it hasn't applied to you yet. :)

LOL, I only learned this when I booked the Amazon Explorer last October, thanks to the FCC on Maasdam at the time. Problem with that is, I had done a couple of longer cruises where I hadn't been quite so "aware"! :eek: It's a good thing to know though, even if it hasn't applied to you yet. :)
Just to put it in print, per HAL: "Final payment is generally due no later than 75 days prior to departure although some cruises have different final payment date requirements. Please consult the Holland America Line brochure for the final payment date applicable to your cruise. A second deposit is required for all Grand Voyages." I made the mistake of assuming (yeah, I know the saying about "assume") that the policy was consistent. I can understand why they'd have stronger requirements for the longer cruises as filling an empty cabin would be more difficult than on a 7-14 day cruise. Edited by blizzardboy

We would love to see HAL (and other lines) offer special prices for those who book through their own web site...without involving humans (and additional costs for the cruise line). The cruise line would then not have to pay a commission (which is often near 10%) or extra staff! But so far, the cruise lines do not want to undercut cruise agencies. If HAL would match the deals we get elsewhere....we would book with them in a heartbeat. But for now, it is like we are being paid hundreds or thousands or dollars to book our HAL cruises elsewhere.

Hank

I agree 100% with this. However, I suspect that change would be the death of travel agencies. Since they no longer get airline commissions, I imagine cruise commissions are their bread and butter.

And we would bet your PCC recommends that you buy the HAL insurance :). It is just one reason (among several) why we do not use PCCs...of even book direct with HAL or any other line. Our PCC used to call regularly and encourage us to book with her. I finally ask her if she could match the deals we get from several well known reputable cruise agencies. She told me that HAL could not match those deals...but we could still book with her and then she would transfer the booking to a cruise agency. I just laughed and asked her why I should jump through all those hoops, when I could simply book with one of my favored cruise agencies with a few clicks of the mouse. And that would save me thousands of dollars versus booking direct with HAL.

Before we get "flamed" by HAL cheerleaders, my post is not about HAL but about the entire cruise industry. The situation is the same with nearly all cruise lines (and we have been on 14). The reality is that cruise lines do not even want to compete with the high volume agencies (or consortium's) since they are such an important part of their business model. The "handholding" and outreach done by PCC's costs the cruise lines a lot money. They are years behind the airline industry who finally realized they could save lots of money by encouraging folks to book online (no toll free numbers or staff involved). We do know of one cruise agency that actually gives even better deals for those that book online (without taking up the time of any staff). And there are now some airlines that charge extra for those that want to deal with a human. Times are changing.

We would love to see HAL (and other lines) offer special prices for those who book through their own web site...without involving humans (and additional costs for the cruise line). The cruise line would then not have to pay a commission (which is often near 10%) or extra staff! But so far, the cruise lines do not want to undercut cruise agencies. If HAL would match the deals we get elsewhere....we would book with them in a heartbeat. But for now, it is like we are being paid hundreds or thousands or dollars to book our HAL cruises elsewhere.

Hank

I agree 100% with this. However, I suspect that change would be the death of travel agencies. Since they no longer get airline commissions, I imagine cruise commissions are their bread and butter.

While probably not in my cruising lifetime I'd think eventually the airline booking model will become the norm for all travel including cruises, resorts, hotels, etc. While I don't have or know the numbers my impression is that there are fewer "brick and mortar" travel agencies than even a few years ago. I don't remember the last time I saw a travel agency in a mall but there were at one time. Locally the big agency here in town has gone from several storefronts to one central location and are about 1/3 the size they were five years ago. In fact I have a friend who is an agent with them and it's managing corporate travel that keeps them alive and not cruise sales. Going back further when we lived in Northern Virginia there was a good sized cruise-only agency in Tysons Corner. The downturn in cruising post-9/11 did them in. Again, it may be five, ten, or twenty years but I think standalone travel agencies/agents will go away.

Edited by Randyk47

The point is, when you reserve that 29-day cruise a year out, your deposit isn't at risk.

This is true as far as it goes, however there's another side of the same coin to consider---and that's pre-existing conditions.

If you have a pre-existing condition, then insurance must usually be purchased within 14-21 days of deposit for you to have coverage on that condition. (yes, I know there's a company or two that allows more time.)

It's quite possible to have no pre-existing conditions today (because a condition is stable), book a cruise without insurance, and develop what's now considered a pre-existing condition soon after. In that case, too late to purchase the coverage, and there is a huge risk developing.

Something as simple as a change in medication, including a reduction because you're doing so well!, constitutes a change in a condition and kicks the insurance exclusion into gear.

Another aspect to consider is the pre-existing conditions of family members who are not traveling. If a change for a family member would cause you to cancel your cruise after final payment, then it's worth purchasing the insurance close to time of deposit.

Not everyone needs the pre-existing condition coverage, so delaying insurance purchase until penalty period kicks in makes sense in that case, but there's a lot to consider before deciding they don't need the coverage.

H

HAL insurance is not the only insurance you can buy up to final payment.
HQAL policies are not tgravel insurance. They are, foer the more paert, cancellation coverage. The pay a pittance for mmedi czl shouldsyou bcocm eill or have an accicdent. Good you realize you need to research an ouhgy gyyghidx imporftgant topi. GTher Travel insuranccr forum here on CC has somre knowedgea ble posters. You may wish to read \ome of the posts on gthat forum.

This is true as far as it goes, however there's another side of the same coin to consider---and that's pre-existing conditions.

If you have a pre-existing condition, then insurance must usually be purchased within 14-21 days of deposit for you to have coverage on that condition. (yes, I know there's a company or two that allows more time.)

It's quite possible to have no pre-existing conditions today (because a condition is stable), book a cruise without insurance, and develop what's now considered a pre-existing condition soon after. In that case, too late to purchase the coverage, and there is a huge risk developing.

Something as simple as a change in medication, including a reduction because you're doing so well!, constitutes a change in a condition and kicks the insurance exclusion into gear.

Another aspect to consider is the pre-existing conditions of family members who are not traveling. If a change for a family member would cause you to cancel your cruise after final payment, then it's worth purchasing the insurance close to time of deposit.

Not everyone needs the pre-existing condition coverage, so delaying insurance purchase until penalty period kicks in makes sense in that case, but there's a lot to consider before deciding they don't need the coverage.

This is so true RuthC! It happened to me last year when I had elbow surgery. I was on pins and needles about the cruise until too close to the sailing date. I was fine to go as long as things went well. That's a big IF.

Fortunately, things worked out but it was a lesson learned and now taken into consideration for the future ;)

We have used our TA insurance and two "other" policies. We purchase in the first week to cover pre-existing conditions. In all three, we could have that cost refunded if we cancelled prior to final payment. Yes, they have our money to use for the time from payment to cancellation but we are not out the cost.

There are numerous large agencies that are offering specials with HAL right now that include Explore4 for Alaska and Europe for 2017. These special are a reduced price from what HAL is offering BUT... the Deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE. HAL tells the Travel Agencies that when booking if they want Hal's Insurance it absolutely MUST be purchased at time of deposit You CANNOT purchase at final. Many other Travel Insurances that travel agencies offer also will not cover if your penalty period has already started. So it is very possible this was the case and why he was told he must purchase at the time of deposit.

There are numerous large agencies that are offering specials with HAL right now that include Explore4 for Alaska and Europe for 2017. These special are a reduced price from what HAL is offering BUT... the Deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE. HAL tells the Travel Agencies that when booking if they want Hal's Insurance it absolutely MUST be purchased at time of deposit You CANNOT purchase at final. Many other Travel Insurances that travel agencies offer also will not cover if your penalty period has already started. So it is very possible this was the case and why he was told he must purchase at the time of deposit.

Do you still consider what HaL sells to be 'insurance'?

tiny medical dcoverage, do you redommend cruise line polCIES? dO THEY UNDERSTAND THEY WILL BE STUCK WITH MOST OF TGHE MEEICAL BILLS IF ALL THEY HAVE FOR 'INSURNaCE IS HALThat kind of onfusion ccoulddestroy a family

Edited by sail7seas

I haven't followed this entire thread, so this might have already been mentioned, but many credit card companies provide "trip cancellation insurance" for free as a benefit for using their card to pay for the trip. The coverage only reimburses cancellation for medical reasons, but it also covers family members traveling with the person unable to make the trip. If you are on Medicare you still need medical coverage when traveling out of the country, but this type of coverage is cheap compared to cancellation insurance.

I haven't followed this entire thread, so this might have already been mentioned, but many credit card companies provide "trip cancellation insurance" for free as a benefit for using their card to pay for the trip. The coverage only reimburses cancellation for medical reasons, but it also covers family members traveling with the person unable to make the trip. If you are on Medicare you still need medical coverage when traveling out of the country, but this type of coverage is cheap compared to cancellation insurance.

I failed to mention that credit card companies have different coverage amounts. One of my cards will only reimburse up to $1500 per person and another card will reimburse up to $5000 per person. The amount of cancellation penalty varies depending on the length of time before the cruise is canceled and this does not include the taxes and port charges. These charges are reimbursed by HAL anytime you cancel. It looks like I will be forced to cancel a cruise the latter part of September. The taxes, port charges, and 25% of the cruise fare will be reimbursed by HAL. The balance of the cruise fare will be reimbursed by my credit card company. The bottom line - I can cancel anytime up until departure with no insurance and not loose a penny.

Do you still consider what HaL sells to be 'insurance'?

tiny medical dcoverage, do you redommend cruise line polCIES? dO THEY UNDERSTAND THEY WILL BE STUCK WITH MOST OF TGHE MEEICAL BILLS IF ALL THEY HAVE FOR 'INSURNaCE IS HALThat kind of onfusion ccoulddestroy a family

Yes, HAL's CPP (Cancellation Protection Plan) is most definitely still a form of Travel Insurance. While it is more for Cancellation Protection it is still Travel Insurance. Every Traveler has different needs when booking and purchasing travel. Some need it for Cancellation and some need it for additional Medical coverage. Most Travel Insurance companies offer a cancel for any reason but it is extremely expensive and is often only a 70% at most reimbursement, HAL Platinum Coverage is 90% which is excellent. They also will cover hotel and air booked through Holland America and only charge the cost of what it covers for the cruise portion only. With the cancel for any reason there is no filing of an insurance claim with HAL. You just cancel and get reimbursed.Then there are Travel Protection Companies such as Allianz and Travel Guard that have medical coverage for high dollar amounts. But these do have Pre-existing clauses.

I just can't wrap my head around the cancel for any reason need. I did book a policy with that for a teenage daughter going on an abroad trip. I had concerns she might not get on the plane. But if I have booked a cruise for us, I am sure I am going. I can't imagine a scenario where the day before sailing I would just change my mind.

But as someone here just said, everyone needs different assurances.

I just can't wrap my head around the cancel for any reason need. I did book a policy with that for a teenage daughter going on an abroad trip. I had concerns she might not get on the plane. But if I have booked a cruise for us, I am sure I am going. I can't imagine a scenario where the day before sailing I would just change my mind.

What if your house burned down the day before you were to leave for your cruise?

What if your house burned down the day before you were to leave for your cruise?

I can think of numerous reasons, such as the airline you were going to take has a computer malfunction and delays all their flights and backs them up several days such as what happened with Delta not long ago. Say the Earth Quake in Italy had hit closer to Rome and that was where you were heading or there was sudden violence in the area you were going that made you have second thoughts of going there. There is also the factor with the Cancel for any reason there is no questions asked and you just cancel and 90% of the fare plus your port charges gets reimbursed within a few days.

What if you get hurt in a car accident? What if an elderly parent passes? What if you daughter or your spouse suddenly becomes ill? What if your employer cancels your vacation? I could list many other scenarios where you would probably cancel a cruise.

You can never say that you are sure you are going.

When I worked in the travel Field, I had to cancel my vacation at the last minute several times, but fortunately I was not on a cruise, because I never took insurance.. Once when another airline went on strike & once when my Mother became ill, DH & I cancelled a vacation at the last minute.. Now that we are up in age, & are mostly cruising, we always purchase insurance..HAL insurance would cover these cancellations..

Edited by serendipity1499

All of those examples are covered reasons for full refunds under travel insurance. That was my point....not that things couldn't happen. But the expensive cancel for any reason clause just doesn't seem to have a place in my needs. If my house burns down or my father dies or the airline shuts down....all are covered reasons.

Plus, with the outside policies everything is covered....the air, hotels, independant shore reservations. With HAL's policy they won't cover those items if not purchased through them, I don't believe.

Edited by alwaysfrantic