The new " Edge " class ship information/ date.

Kevnzworld

I'm still not sure where the information has surfaced that Edge Class will have more high-end suites or dedicated suite area. It is just pure speculation at this point in time. I advise that we just wait until Celebrity releases more details.

It is speculation but probably a good bet that they will have a concept such as the Haven on some NCL ships, a dedicated suite area, which would include Luminae and possibly a small pool area. Cruise lines seem to copy each other but as you said wait until the Press releases come.

Also, definitely think there might be elimination of Aqua and Blu for more suites. Can't see elimination of the MDR. I know it will never happen but would love to see elimination of the Specialties and a MDR with food and service as it was in the 90s. Most don't realize that back then the MDR was as good or better than the the Specialties and this was everynight of the cruise. That would be a novel concept.

Edited by dkjretired

Got ours at Walmart-Mart. if I remember, the $3.00 - 4.00 each range. We split them between suitcases and figured they added about a pound per cube. The one cruise we've used them we drove so weight was less concerning, but I think they would have been within limits.

When I was looking, there were others that were closer to $8.00 - 11.00 each and were very heavy! If you were using these inexpensive ones daily, they wouldn't last long at all, but for a trip or two a year I liked them!

Thank you. You wouldn't by chance happen to know the dimensions of either the cubes or cabinet would you? I would hate to buy them only to find them too big to fit in the cabinet.

It is speculation but probably a good bet that they will have a concept such as the Haven on some NCL ships, a dedicated suite area, which would include Luminae and possibly a small pool area. Cruise lines seem to copy each other but as you said wait until the Press releases come.

Also, definitely think there might be elimination of Aqua and Blu for more suites. Can't see elimination of the MDR. I know it will never happen but would love to see elimination of the Specialties and a MDR with food and service as it was in the 90s. Most don't realize that back then the MDR was as good or better than the the Specialties and this was everynight of the cruise. That would be a novel concept.

AQ class & BLU have kept us coming back...as would an enhanced spa class with a real T pool as ghdy had on Mercury.

Yes, the MDR used to be top notch but was always too big for our taste and did not care for seating with others each night.

Hi Kevin:

Heard some time ago from 2 Restaurant Managers that there were plans to eliminate the MDR. I don't recall the exact number, but there would be a number of "free" restaurants and a number of pay restaurants. One Chef from Corporate told me that there were plans for a NY style Deli .I'd go for the deli if the corned beef and pastrami are up to my high standards.

I like the idea of smaller specialty restaurant dining. I hope the restaurants and food ( deli ) isn't like RCL's Oasis class....yuch.

The suite focus of the new ship would hopefully inspire Celebrity to " up " their food game to compete with the better cruise lines. ( Viking, Seabourn, Oceania etc ).

Celebrity always claimed to focus on cuisine, but except for Luminae , they've fallen way behind the competition...or what they believe to be their competition.

If I was in Celebrity corporate, I'd be watching what Viking is doing with their new ocean ships...that's their future competition.

Edited by Kevnzworld

If they put significantly more high end suites on the new Edge Class would that risk reducing the value of that product?

At the moment there are relatively few high end suites per ship, significantly increase that number and the kudos of staying in Suite Class is possibly less

This does concern me. I don't care too hoots about 'kudos' but I do care about ambiance. Michael's Club and Luminae at present have a really nice atmosphere and do offer that 'ship within a ship' feel that some of us like....

We had always enjoyed 'club suites' in a large hotel chain for its 'club room' offering a quiet breakfast buffet, civilized afternoon tea and wonderful social cocktail hour. We were shocked on our last visit that they had opened the venue to include a 'group' booking. It was chaotic, too busy, queues for the conceirge....In conversation someone in the group booking party said they 'couldn't see what the fuss was about having club room access... they didn't find the club room was worth paying extra for...'

I guess that is my concern...If you make somethings too big you can spoil what made it great. We are not fans of the RC mega ships suite offerings....The conceirge lounge was beautiful but too loud and busy, the private deck was empty all cruise as it was quite windy....the conceirge forgot the one request we made and then later confessed to booking us into an activity as 'the English' because he couldn't remember our name or room number!

A strength of Celebrity at present is its range of room options...Lets hope they keep up the variety but remember what makes each of them special...

Would definitely miss AQ class and BLU.....we have been very happy with that concept..

They wouldn't be getting rid of high-end restaurants. Look at Quantum class for a model there as well, they have removed the MDR, but still have the high-end restaurant.

Thank you. You wouldn't by chance happen to know the dimensions of either the cubes or cabinet would you? I would hate to buy them only to find them too big to fit in the cabinet.

The fabric bins we use are not quite 12x12x12

I agree.

There's no place else for storage you have to use it.

We sailed Silhoutte once and the layout of our inside cabin was terrible. The desk was right across from the bed, you could not even pull out the chair without hitting the bed. We had ONE chair and a table in a corner, no couch like on M Class ships. We never went back on an S Class ship and that was over 4 years ago now.

Of course they probably won't even have any inside cabins on the new ships so they can jack up the prices even more.

I have been on Solstice, Equinox and Reflection and there was other storage available. All staterooms have a closet and there are also drawers beside the desk. To suggest that the cabinet above the bed is the only storage available is an exaggeration on your part.

As for the stateroom design, what you encountered certainly wasn't our experience with inside cabins on S class. The ones we've been in all had coaches and we had no issues with the desk chair hitting the bed. However, before we decide on a cabin we research it first to make sure we're getting one in a good location and with a configuration that will work for us.

AQ class & BLU have kept us coming back...as would an enhanced spa class with a real T pool as ghdy had on Mercury.

Yes, the MDR used to be top notch but was always too big for our taste and did not care for seating with others each night.

They wouldn't be getting rid of high-end restaurants. Look at Quantum class for a model there as well, they have removed the MDR, but still have the high-end restaurant.

The concept of multiple restaurants to eat in, in place of one MDR may work for a lot of people but for those of us with food allergies or restrictions changing dining rooms every night would be a nightmare!

That is one reason we choose cruises for our vacations over land trips. Having to explain your restrictions every night to a different person (and hope they really "get it" and don't serve you something life threatening) is not a pleasant way to vacation.

We travel in Aqua and one of the reasons (among others!) is that the smaller dining room and more personalized service lends it itself better to fewer mistakes.

Celebrity's latest "News" about the Food Aware program shows that they're aware of the expanding group of people with food allergies.

Another much appreciated change would be to make the beds 1" to 2" higher off the floor so empty suitcases can slide easily under the bed without having to lift the whole bed.

This is usually more a problem on RCI than Celebrity.

I've never sailed Disney. I understand that on their ships they do not have a MDR either. But as you move from one restaurant to another, your wait staff moves with you.

Those are actually the Main Dining Rooms, that is where everyone eats, they just move from one room to another. One big room on most lines versus a couple of smaller rooms, really don't see the difference.

How could they add more cabins, making many more even larger suites, in a smaller ship?

Press release says they will carry 2900 passengers, At 984 feet long, 123 feet wide and 190 feet high 117,000 tonnage.

S class Eclipse carries 2852, 121 feet wide, 1040 feet long, 122,000 tonnage.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14041761_CEL_Edge_FAQ.pdf

How could they add more cabins, making many more even larger suites, in a smaller ship?

Press release says they will carry 2900 passengers, At 984 feet long, 123 feet wide and 190 feet high 117,000 tonnage.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14041761_CEL_Edge_FAQ.pdf

"Modern Luxury" design and less public space. I had the same question when I was told about raising the percentage of Suites. I was told that the design would be unlike other ships. I'm waiting to see.

"Modern Luxury" design and less public space. I had the same question when I was told about raising the percentage of Suites. I was told that the design would be unlike other ships. I'm waiting to see.

According to the builder, STX France, the Edge class ships will have 1,450 staterooms.

In comparison, the Stolstice has 1,425 and the Reflection has 1,523.

http://www.stxfrance.com/UK/stxfrance-actualite-33-STX%20FRANCE%20SIGNS%20A%20LETTER%20OF%20INTENT%20WITH%20RCCL.awp

Edited by C-Dragons

According to the builder, STX France, the Edge class ships will have 1,450 staterooms.

In comparison, the Stolstice has 1,425 and the Reflection has 1,523.

http://www.stxfrance.com/UK/stxfrance-actualite-33-STX%20FRANCE%20SIGNS%20A%20LETTER%20OF%20INTENT%20WITH%20RCCL.awp

That's not encouraging. If there are more suites, which I think is a given, they must be somewhat smaller. 300 sq ft instead of 350.

I was hoping the new ships would carry less passengers and be an overall better experience.

The current pool, Oceanview cafe overcrowding is mid tier class, RCL like...NOT Viking or Oceania, let alone Regent or Seabourn.

Those lines are building new somewhat larger ships. If Celebrity hopes to expand their suite class to compete ( roughly the same price point ) , they have to make the new ships more enticing other than Michaels club and Luminae.

That's not encouraging. If there are more suites, which I think is a given, they must be somewhat smaller. 300 sq ft instead of 350.

I was hoping the new ships would carry less passengers and be an overall better experience.

The current pool, Oceanview cafe overcrowding is mid tier class, RCL like...NOT Viking or Oceania, let alone Regent or Seabourn.

Those lines are building new somewhat larger ships. If Celebrity hopes to expand their suite class to compete ( roughly the same price point ) , they have to make the new ships more enticing other than Michaels club and Luminae.

Quite possibly the number of other non-Suite stateroom categories will be reduced, or perhaps eliminated ..? That would create space for more Suites.

http://www.rclcorporate.com/royal-caribbean-orders-three-new-ships/

According to Richard Fain, the Edge Class ships will be part of X's "upscale fleet" focusing on "superlatively luxurious cabins".

Sounds like more suites to me. ;)

I wonder if there will be cabin category under $1000/pp/ day. Otherwise this should provide a lot of " upscale"..

In additon to the other ways mentioned to have more / larger cabins in a smaller volume ship would be to reduce engineering / crew space. Eliminate back hallways, smaller crew stairs, etc.

Elimination of indoor public space, outdoor deck public space is not included in "tonnage" as it doesn't add to volume.

The one thing not mentioned in this thread I have heard a few times was larger, faster tenders to access remote / exotic ports more easily. We'll see...

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Agreed. As said earlier, the atrium and library and green section have a lot of dead space on S class.

From what I understand, The design will bring the Suite Class to the next level. Suites will be grouped together, with Michaels club close by and Luminae in the "zone" as well. I am not sure if they are going to have a special keyed elevator to get to the Suite Zone etc....This already has been highly successful on NCL and MSC..even on Oceania....so it was only a matter of time before X implemented their own.

This does two things....it creates a small ship in a big ship zone....far more intimate then going to Michaels club on Deck 4 and then your suite on deck 12 and Luminae on Deck 3 etc. Also, it removes the places that standard cabin guests cannot go from "right in front of them" At least 5 times per dinner on our last cruise people were walking into Luminae to dine not realizing that they were not eligible. This angers people and makes for a poor cruise experience for some.....By closing the zone....You provide a more exclusive experience to those who paid 4-10 times normal fare and nobody is getting turned away at any of the venues etc.

The Edge ships are going to be gorgeous.....That is for SURE!

Safe sails all!

What fun and worries we all have when speculating!

Just to add to the discussion....

I hope the premium suites concentrate on light, space and balcony not on the number of guests that can be squashed in them. If you look at the newer RC ships many of their rooms are for bigger groups not couples. A couple of family suites on Celebrity would be great for parents with older children traveling with them but I do hope they keep a really good PH and RS!

I also hope they don't reduce the size and amenities for smaller suites, from what I remember on RC 'junior suites', for example, have no access to the conceirge lounge.