Has anyone gone on a cruise and not got off the ship/ or done excursions

cocacola86

We have opted to stay on the ship at ports we have been to before, if there was not much there of interest to including Nassau (skipped more than once) and San Juan (it was Christmas Day and many things were closed). We got off the ship just briefly in Cozumel (not much to do there without an excursion and it was VERY hot) and also in Amber Cove (also very hot and nothing to do except sit at a crowded pool so we reboarded and sat by an uncrowded pool on board.) In all cases we enjoyed relaxing on the ship without crowds. Relaxation is usually a major cruise objective for us, so we found this very satisfying. On our most recent cruise, San Juan was included, so we scheduled the Rainforest Drive (a great excursion).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have to be different We would never stay on the ship. When I book a cruise I book for the ports, and as many as we can get. Always have excursions booked either ship or private. Always first off and last on. Cruise for the ports, not the ship and have to be busy. That's why we love cruising, can do as much or as little as you want.

I didn't do an excursion on my first six cruises and honestly doubt I do another. We usually just get a spot a beach and either hike or take a cab there. First cruise in Bermuda spoiled me though. There is definitely a feeling of safety and familiarity that allowed me to feel comfortable taking public transit on the island. Honestly I've never felt unsafe, even in poorer areas such as Jamaica. In fact, once 6 of us hired a driver for the day on a whim and it was awesome and 1/4 what the excursion would have been.

I think I stayed on the ship once because I was hungover in a port I'd been to but I normally get off, even just for a bit to hit the beach. My brother misses 1-2 ports per cruise but he is usually awake until 6-7 A.M. gambling, drinking and womanizing. I know a popular reviewer on CC named Wrigley80 stays on during ports to have the ship without the crowds. Seems like a good strategy.

I was just curious if anyone has ever stayed on the ship while in port or when in port not do any excursions and just walked around and did you find you had just as good of time if you had done an excursion?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The ship is a great destination with no need for excursions for some people. Experienced cruisers who've been to a port multiple times often enjoy staying on the ship while nearly everyone else is off. The pools are not crowded, and there's no line to eat or get a great cocktail. It's also a great time to get to know some of the ship's staff like the bartenders.

That being said, it depends on the port. Some ports I always get off the ship and have favorite excursions or places to visit, and some ports I never get off, and some ports it depends on how my mood strikes me that day.

But yes, you can have a great time just hanging out in a port or staying on the ship depending on the port, the weather, and your mood at the time.

That's the great thing about cruising. You can do whatever you want depending on the present situation.

Do they drain the pools on port days?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edit to add: I should ask, do they drain some of the pools on port days? I see some people saying they swim on port days, but have been told by other experienced cruisers that they always drain the pools on port days.

Edited by WomanOnAHill

Do they drain the pools on port days?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edit to add: I should ask, do they drain some of the pools on port days? I see some people saying they swim on port days, but have been told by other experienced cruisers that they always drain the pools on port days.

I haven't seen any of them drained. The only time I have seen one drained was due to an "accident" and that was on a sea day. We have stayed onboard twice and enjoyed an empty pool and the spa since we had the spa pass.

To be honest we did get off after lunch when more people started returning from their excursions and we looked around the port shopping.

I've been on maybe 40 cruises, and have returned to some ports over a dozen or more times. I've also done many land vacations in some of these well visited ports. I estimate I've cruised to St Thomas about 15 times, and spent 7 weeks at various different resorts on the island.

Know what? I'll be getting off the cruise ship in St Thomas the next time I visit. Same with Roatan, Cozumel, etc. I haven't seen or done it all yet, and every time is a brand new experience for me.

Just wanted to add a different POV.

Edited by evandbob

I've been on maybe 40 cruises, and have returned to some ports over a dozen or more times. I've also done many land vacations in some of these well visited ports. I estimate I've cruised to St Thomas about 15 times, and spent 7 weeks at various different resorts on the island.

Know what? I'll be getting off the cruise ship in St Thomas the next time I visit. Same with Roatan, Cozumel, etc. I haven't seen or done it all yet, and every time is a brand new experience for me.

Just wanted to add a different POV.

Good for you! Keep on discovering, as long as you have the energy and health to do it, go for it!! :)

They will drain if there is work that needs to be done (as they don't want them shut down on sea days) but that is a rare occasion... They will leave one open .

I came back to the ship after a Dunns River Falls morning climb and the pools were empty. Announcements were made that they would refill the pools and hot tubs after we left the Ocho Rios harbor, where runoff from a recent storm had elevated certain bacteria. Engineering did not want to chance taking the suspect water into the ships water circulation.

Everyone knows that Carnival treats ocean water and mixes it with the ship's water supply for use in its pools, hot tubs and water works/slides, right?

Edited by evandbob