Wi-Fi

Riocca

Just had the M&M on Journey and Tony announced that starting today there is a one month trial of Broadband speed wi-fi onboard. Will keep you posted on how it's working.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh please will it go on for beyond a month as we get on in 32 days.......

Oh please will it go on for beyond a month as we get on in 32 days.......

Tony said it's a months trial and Capt Magnus said it's costing a fortune! All depends on feedback during the trial, so will see how it goes.

Not sure if it's both ships or just Journey, will ask if I get the chance.

Edited by Riocca

Just had the M&M on Journey and Tony announced that starting today there is a one month trial of Broadband speed wi-fi onboard. Will keep you posted on how it's working.

Hmmm, news to me...I'll ask around and see if I can find out anything else!

Other thing is, and I don't know if this is new or not but got the impression it might be, if you are b2b any residual internet minutes either package, LCV or suite are carried over to the next cruise.

On Quest last week the internet wasn't too bad from the PCs in In Touch, but my MacBook Pro couldn't connect to the internet at all and another passenger vented a lot of frustration over the same issue [i was just trying to print Boarding Passes at the end of the cruise, but he was staying on board and needed access for business reasons]. Bonnie: could you check why the Azamara wifi network doesn't play nice with Apple computers?

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Here's the actual announcement on the Azamara Journey (I guess this test started a couple days early since today is August 29!)

You asked and we listened!

For the month of September, the Azamara Journey will be running a trial to provide enhanced internet speeds to our guests. The new speeds will allow you to stream video, video chat with home or surf the net. We'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions related to the internet performance during this time. We will be distributing a short comment card during your voyage. Keep in mind that this is a test for the month of September, but if all goes well, we intend to bring enhanced internet to both of our ships in the future. Happy surfing!

On Quest last week the internet wasn't too bad from the PCs in In Touch, but my MacBook Pro couldn't connect to the internet at all and another passenger vented a lot of frustration over the same issue [i was just trying to print Boarding Passes at the end of the cruise, but he was staying on board and needed access for business reasons]. Bonnie: could you check why the Azamara wifi network doesn't play nice with Apple computers?

I will ask for you, but I've always brought my Apple laptop, iPad & iPhone when I sail and haven't had any trouble.

Good news from you, Riocca. Let us know how it works out. And thanks for following up, Bonnie. Of great interest to all of us internet junkies.

Other thing is, and I don't know if this is new or not but got the impression it might be, if you are b2b any residual internet minutes either package, LCV or suite are carried over to the next cruise.

When we were back to back in June, we were able to carry over our unused minutes from the first cruise to the second cruise.

Hi Host Jazzbeau,

I'm not hearing there's a problem with Apple devices. I'm told a couple employees are onboard now and having no problems with internet access on their Mac Books.

Did you ask for help from the Guest Services Team while onboard?

And I am wondering if the Northern Latitudes may have impacted your reception? On another thread this was discussed.

Hi Host Jazzbeau,

I'm not hearing there's a problem with Apple devices. I'm told a couple employees are onboard now and having no problems with internet access on their Mac Books.

And I am wondering if the Northern Latitudes may have impacted your reception? On another thread this was discussed.

We weren't all that far North when I tried, as we were due back in Amsterdam early the next morning. I took my MacBook to In Touch as a precaution [because on other ships I have found the signal in cabins is less reliable than in the computer lounge]. I was able to log in to the Azamara network and begin burning minutes, but trying to go to the Delta website just sat there. When an In Touch PC opened up, I was able to get to Delta immediately. And as I mentioned this other guest came up very agitated because he said he had been unable to use his MacBook all cruise, and that Quest IT support had been unable to help him. [i didn't get his name, as he was nattering while my limited minutes were slipping by...]

So far it seems very good, probably not the fibre optic broadband speed we get at home but certainly fast enough for videos without buffering.

We are using Apple devices, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPhone SE without any problems, at the moment I am on the balcony of a deck 8 CC with full wi-fi signal and have had no signal problems at all.

On another subject I'm surprised no one has mentioned the bikes yet[emoji605]

I am in the same type of cabin. Internet seems fine. It is my first trip on Journey so I have no basis for comparison to the old system. I am using an Android tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mercruiser

Hi Host Jazzbeau,

Was on the same cruise with Host Jazzbeau and had no internet problems at all from our suite. Internet was fine all the way to Northkaap. Believe the problem to be the location of the wireless access point as we connected regularly from our suite. Don't believe the difference can be attributed to Mac vs. Windows computers although tablets have wifi access that is almost never as good as any laptop. A trick I learned on another line is to slightly open your cabin door to improve wifi reception if you happen to be far away from the access point as cabins are surrounded by metal that affects the signal. Actually very surprised at the internet access so far north.

On Journey this August I had wifi issues but they were NOT the fault of Azamara. The IT staff could not have been more helpful trying to get me a work around.

The problems were down to the configurations on my tablet put on by our IT people (it was a work one). Unfortunately we could not over ride them so I could not connect on the work machine but had absolutely no issues with my own one anywhere on the ship.

Edited by uktog

Have tried the Internet this afternoon and I don't think it's up to speed yet, tried to watch a video online and it would only run for 3 minutes before buffering. My wi-fi checker app says that the wi-fi connection is good but I am only registering download speeds of 0.25Mbps on the speed checking app.

We are anchored in Mykonos at the moment, just in case location has anything to do with the performance of satellite reception.

Was on the same cruise with Host Jazzbeau and had no internet problems at all from our suite. Internet was fine all the way to Northkaap. Believe the problem to be the location of the wireless access point as we connected regularly from our suite. Don't believe the difference can be attributed to Mac vs. Windows computers although tablets have wifi access that is almost never as good as any laptop..

Good points about access and tablets. However, I would stand under the router in the hallway and, at times, have great difficulty logging in or downloading. I'm assuming that all routers provide the same level of service.

This difficulty seemed worse on the trip north.

Subjectively, I'd agree that my IPhone was the better choice than the IPad, and curiously, if I sometimes retried logging in, I would be rewarded with a faster connection.

Regardless, I think if someone was in need of daily efficient Internet service the itinerary in Norway, at present, might prove frustrating.

Edited by nordski

So far it seems very good, probably not the fibre optic broadband speed we get at home but certainly fast enough for videos without buffering.

We are using Apple devices, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPhone SE without any problems, at the moment I am on the balcony of a deck 8 CC with full wi-fi signal and have had no signal problems at all.

On another subject I'm surprised no one has mentioned the bikes yet[emoji605]

Ok, you've piqued my curiosity...are there bikes onboard for your use? Are they complimentary?

When we were back to back in June, we were able to carry over our unused minutes from the first cruise to the second cruise.

We are on the Quest now b2b with the Aug 11 cruise. We had our remaining minutes rolled over but only for 48 hours. We overnighted in Amsterdam with wifi from the terminal available so it wasn't all that valuable in this case. But we'll see if it also has the same restriction on our b2b with the Sept 9 cruise where we might get a little more benefit from it.