Revamped Drink Packages beginning 9/6/16?

jules815

Last week I paid for the replenish package which specifically included gratuities.

The FAQ states that the replenish package will automatically convert to the refreshment package.

The refreshment package specifically excludes gratuities.

Am I correct to assume that the terms I purchased the package under will be honored and gratuities will not be added when I order drinks/water/coffees on board despite the 'automatic' language of the refresh package?

Upthread someone posted the replenish/refresh package was up 35-37% but if you add 18% for gratuities which were previously included aren't you really up more like 53-55%?

It does not exclude gratuities - it's just showing you the price without the service charge. If you add it to your cart in Cruise Planner, you will see the gratuities. Your package will be upgraded and you will not be paying additional gratuities on board.

From the post on FB:

NEWS UPDATE - ROYAL TO CHANGE DRINKS PACKAGES

Just had some agent news that I know you'll want to hear.

It's just been announced today that from the 06th of September 16, RCI will be changing the drinks packages on offer across the fleet.

These packages may not suit all of you so you may want to go into your cruise planner (those of you who have sailings booked), and get your packages pre-booked before they change.

Note that if you have already booked a drinks package or had one included they will still honour these. The new drinks packages take effect from 6th September so if your sailing is 90 days from now and haven't already booked a drinks package and would prefer one from the current range make sure you book it before the 6th.

Yup. Posted elsewhere first last Friday. Glad everyone has shared as much as they have, but boy, aren't folks who didn't know about it are gonna be upset. Thank goodness for FB and CC.

My guess would be that they thought they could make more money by eliminating it.

Mine as well. Margins are highest on liquor. They don't benefit from 'encouraging' unlimited beer/wine consumption. Also, I am thinking research has shown them people on Select are getting to/over the break even point at a higher rate than those on PP/UP.

I cancelled both of the Ultimate packages I had reserved (at the fake 20% off promo) and re-booked them as Premium, which actually were priced 20% off the price of the new Deluxe package, and will now be upgraded. At least I saved *something*. :)

But all those people who booked the Ultimate 20% off promo like I did, and didn't know about this change in advance really are not getting 20% off. More like 2 bucks a day. Seems like that will be an issue.

The old packages are still available with 20% off today at 9.20 am (central European time)

I decided and bought Ultimate this weekend since the difference from Premium only was about 3$ / day or less than a can of redbull.. (converted from Swedish currency) This was before I read about the new packages.

But I had to pay for it within 48 hours otherwise it would have been cancelled from my order. Is this an European feature or does US customers also have to pay when rdering?

will the 20% off offer be available tomorrow when the new deluxe package is introduced??

I doubt it.

If you need an alcoholic drinks package I would book the premium now with the 20% off before its too late.This will get upgraded to deluxe. Even if they do a future 20% off deal on the deluxe you will still be better off.

20% off Premium is still showing in my planner this morning (uk)

Upthread someone posted the replenish/refresh package was up 35-37% but if you add 18% for gratuities which were previously included aren't you really up more like 53-55%?

We paid $22 including gratuities for our (old) replenish (with current exchange rate for Euro)... if the new refreshment package is $26 + 18% gratuity that comes to $30.68, a price increase of $8.68 or 39.45%. But I agree it "feels" like a lot more.

Can you imagine the chaos this is going to cause on board when the customers that have the free Select that when booking were told they could upgrade for $10-15 now need to pay $30.

I feel sorry for the staff on the ship who are going to get the hassle for RCCL stupidity - This could have been easily avoided if they contacted all those who had this package and given them the option to upgrade before travel.

Can you imagine the chaos this is going to cause on board when the customers that have the free Select that when booking were told they could upgrade for $10-15 now need to pay $30.

I feel sorry for the staff on the ship who are going to get the hassle for RCCL stupidity - This could have been easily avoided if they contacted all those who had this package and given them the option to upgrade before travel.

I'm more interested to see what happens on my Caribbean Cruise booked for November 2017 which included the select drinks package. I have an invoice showing it's included. But I can see us getting on the ship "No No Sir, the select package was retired over a year ago, we don't have any stickers left"

Those that have the Select will keep tHe select. Those with Premium and Ultimate packages will revert to the new Deluxe package at no extra charge.

Just been quoted by phone an extra 22 to 25 dollars to upgrade to the Deluxe package that is with gratuities included worked out to an extra £468 for 13 nights on top off £780 for select:mad:

Is that for just one person?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just been quoted by phone an extra 22 to 25 dollars to upgrade to the Deluxe package that is with gratuities included worked out to an extra £468 for 13 nights on top off £780 for select:mad:

Including grats the increased cost to upgrade is $7.90 pp pd. Having previously had the free Select Perk, which we upgraded onboard for $15, our B2B on Oasis next Feb is going to cost us $221 more than we expected it to cost when we booked the cruise due to these changes. Royal have changed the goalposts since we booked and have not thought this through at all. Up to yesterday they were still selling cruises on the UK site with a free Select package and stating it was upgradeable onboard to the Premium package.

I've sent off an email to Royal but not expecting any movement. I'm guessing a response will be along the lines of 'we reserve the right to change our drinks packages at any time' plus 'the new Deluxe package offers more choice than the Premium package'.

An easy fix would have been an option to pay for the upgrade to Premium via the cruise personaliser rather than waiting till people board.

The Select perk has been offered to UK cruisers for some time now and there are still some ex uk cruises this season left to sail that will be packed with passengers who have the Select package. Hopefully the feedback from customers on these cruises over the next few weeks might prompt a more favourable response from Royal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

Just gone on my account to buy our drinks packages for our cruise in a fortnight! Thoroughly unimpressed!

There's only 3 drinks packages showing, water, soda and deluxe?!

We don't drink alcohol so I don't want the deluxe, but wanted Royal replenish as hubby drinks juice not soda!

Help!

I'm in the UK if it makes any difference!

Just gone on my account to buy our drinks packages for our cruise in a fortnight! Thoroughly unimpressed!

There's only 3 drinks packages showing, water, soda and deluxe?!

We don't drink alcohol so I don't want the deluxe, but wanted Royal replenish as hubby drinks juice not soda!

Help!

I'm in the UK if it makes any difference!

The Royal Replenish Package was replaced by the Refreshment Package.

http://www.cruisingpoweruk.co.uk/uploads/news-product_19_256722736.pdf