Nieuw Amsterdam and its invisible Captain

seapals2

Interesting to read all your comments.

I just feel that the crew very much take a lead from their captain. Some of the best cruises we have taken have been on ships where the Captain has been evident during the voyage. Welcoming passengers aboard, usually the second evening and making the noon announcements and then taking a stroll round his ship during the voyage. The crew have been a very happy bunch and the their smiles genuine. I cant ever remember leaving a ship before and not having the slightest inkling who the Captain was.

The last cruise on HAL it was hard work in every department to get a smile or an acknowledgement. We thought it might be the crew were fed up of sailing in cold weather. We have not encountered it before and have taken over 40 cruises with various lines.

We next sail on a HAL ship after Christmas.. Eurodam. Surely a New Year sailing will bring out the Captain to toast in 2017. If we hadn't already made the booking I think our last cruise would have deterred us from more sailings with HAL.:(

Interesting to read all your comments.

I just feel that the crew very much take a lead from their captain. Some of the best cruises we have taken have been on ships where the Captain has been evident during the voyage. Welcoming passengers aboard, usually the second evening and making the noon announcements and then taking a stroll round his ship during the voyage. The crew have been a very happy bunch and the their smiles genuine. I cant ever remember leaving a ship before and not having the slightest inkling who the Captain was.

The last cruise on HAL it was hard work in every department to get a smile or an acknowledgement. We thought it might be the crew were fed up of sailing in cold weather. We have not encountered it before and have taken over 40 cruises with various lines.

We next sail on a HAL ship after Christmas.. Eurodam. Surely a New Year sailing will bring out the Captain to toast in 2017. If we hadn't already made the booking I think our last cruise would have deterred us from more sailings with HAL.:(

Do you smile at the staff and they don't return your smile or greeting? That would be very unusual in my experience. Did you receive your cruise log? That gives you the name of the Captain and other officers.

Not really a significant issue for me.

If there is one ship's officer who can make or break a cruise experience for me it is, without question, the Hotel Director. If there is a lacklustre approach from the crew, I suggest it is vastly more likely to come from a disengaged Hotel Director than from a disengaged Captain or Staff Captain.

On our Westerdam cruise this past spring -- 21 days -- we saw the captain only 2 times. We did not even see him out and about on the ship. Rarely heard him on the PA as he rarely gave any information as to ports for the next days.

I was on that cruise and while we did enjoy the cruise I have to agree with you that the captain was not engaging. I had been expecting more since I had heard that the Westerdam was known for the "toots" as it left Fort Lauderdale and I missed the "toots". That's when I kind of knew that we had changed captains. I think Captain Smit was just on for that one Panama Canal cruise and did not continue to the South Pacific. I thought the rest of the staff was just as engaging as usual.

Sounds like a huge contrast to our prior HAL cruise 15 years ago. We had Capt. Peter Hamilton on Veendam and he was very personable and present. We had seen him on a rare Travel Channel show about cruising so we privately referred to him as Capt. TV Star.

On our last RCCL transatlantic the Capt. was everywhere including leading the Wishes at Sea walk. But the RCCL So. Caribbean before that was that Captain's last cruise before leaving to captain an oil tanker and we never saw him.

I have the gut feeling the trickle down attitudes by crew and staff coming from he Captain may be true but staff all report to the hotel manager so should get the "tone" from them. But maybe it is an overall thing. Also I wonder if there are not some "labor issues" among officers who are sticking to the letter of their duties and no more. The captain leaving RCCL did so due to a change in the tax policies that severely reduced his net pay which he was not happy about.

Sounds like a huge contrast to our prior HAL cruise 15 years ago. We had Capt. Peter Hamilton on Veendam and he was very personable and present. ......................

Captain Peter Harris ;) Extremely hard to get tickets for 'Hamilton' ;)

I was on that cruise and while we did enjoy the cruise I have to agree with you that the captain was not engaging. I had been expecting more since I had heard that the Westerdam was known for the "toots" as it left Fort Lauderdale and I missed the "toots". That's when I kind of knew that we had changed captains. I think Captain Smit was just on for that one Panama Canal cruise and did not continue to the South Pacific. I thought the rest of the staff was just as engaging as usual.

Captain Van Eerten started his contract on the South Pacific cruise of April 2nd/16. He does like to toot but he was apparently told not to toot too much anymore. [sigh]. I think Captain Smit had a full contract prior but I could be in error.

I don't care who the captain is or for that matter,who the cruise director is.

On our first cruise many years ago on Carnival,the CD was and still is their most popular one. I found him to be rude and crass. On our last X cruise,the female CD was treated like a rock star.

Last winter,we did our first HAL cruise. Brief daily comments by staff which we appreciated.

I don't expect to see the Captain "out and about" on the ship. I have experienced it on cruise lines other than HAL, but this has usually been when their families have been onboard and they are eating together. The vast majority of passengers have been polite and have not disturbed them.

On my last several HAL cruises, the Captain hasn't even made an appearance at the Mariner's Luncheon. On the one cruise, the Cruise Director offered apologies, on the other it was one of the officers.

The person that I think sets the mood of the ship is the Cruise Director. This is the person I like to see on deck, at various activities, etc. If the Cruise Director is joined by the Hotel Manager at some things, it is even better.

All Captains has different personalities, I suppose. I thought I read on Captain Albert's blog in recent months that HAL was doing away with the Captain's welcome toast.

Without knowing a lot of the particulars of your trip, I will say that you are less likely to hear from or see your captain on an Alaska cruise, particularly if there is a lot of fog. The captain and staff captain have to split their time on the bridge when there is fog, and the time not on the bridge is spent doing the paperwork/inspections/meals/sleeping that he has to fit in. Usually the captain will spend the night hours on the bridge in this case because he can plan his rest periods a bit better than the staff captain, who has to supervise the deck department during the day.

I find that in longer sea voyages with less port time and more sea time, you are far more likely to see the captain out and about because the schedule is much less demanding.

If you are traveling with Captain Pieter Bod in Alaska you will be very aware of his presence.

On our recent cruise to Alaska on the MS Westerdam, I had no idea what the Captain looked like. He did come on over the intercom and speak a few times a day, letting us know our location, weather, port information etc. He also was really good in letting us know when he would spot whales or dolphins so we wouldn't miss out!

I've always sailed previously on NCL. I do like how they have their opening night gala show. The captain is introduced, along with most other department heads. It's a fun time and I like seeing who everyone is! I kind of missed that on Holland.

On NCL, the captain does a Q & A session. There was also a Q & A session and many of the entertainers were there. We got to learn about their life onboard. Both were really fun and interesting.

On NCL there was also a staff show, where several of the staff showed off their talent. Very good! On the last night, a huge production with staff parading and thanking all customers for sailing with them! Quite impressive!

I missed having all of that interaction on our last cruise.

If you are traveling with Captain Pieter Bod in Alaska you will be very aware of his presence.

Captain Bos is very, very visible, I agree. Does an impressive talk at the beginning of the Mariner's Brunch, too, and gives on the spot sightings of wildlife.

Edited by SilvertoGold

On our recent cruise to Alaska on the MS Westerdam, I had no idea what the Captain looked like. He did come on over the intercom and speak a few times a day, letting us know our location, weather, port information etc. He also was really good in letting us know when he would spot whales or dolphins so we wouldn't miss out!

I've always sailed previously on NCL. I do like how they have their opening night gala show. The captain is introduced, along with most other department heads. It's a fun time and I like seeing who everyone is! I kind of missed that on Holland.

On NCL, the captain does a Q & A session. There was also a Q & A session and many of the entertainers were there. We got to learn about their life onboard. Both were really fun and interesting.

On NCL there was also a staff show, where several of the staff showed off their talent. Very good! On the last night, a huge production with staff parading and thanking all customers for sailing with them! Quite impressive!

I missed having all of that interaction on our last cruise.

HAL used to have a really nice Welcome Aboard event with the Captain introducing some officers and the like. At one time there was dancing, drinks and snacks, mostly on the longer cruises. Then it became a straight introducing show. Both were appreciated!

Some HAL Captains do the Q&A, again mostly on longer cruises, but some do it on any cruise.

HAL generally has two crew shows, Indonesian and Filipino: on shorter cruises, they alternate week by week.

I don't care who the captain is or for that matter,who the cruise director is.

On our first cruise many years ago on Carnival,the CD was and still is their most popular one. I found him to be rude and crass. On our last X cruise,the female CD was treated like a rock star.

Last winter,we did our first HAL cruise. Brief daily comments by staff which we appreciated.

CD's are the most annoying people on board....

We would be just as happy to never see the Captain. NOt certain why this is such a big deal for people. We only care that the Captain gets us safely where we are going. We have no particular desire to meet the Captain of our airplane either.

As for the CD, we agree strongly that our preference would be for the CD to miss the cruise entirely. We can do without the noise, the flat jokes, and the oh so old stories. On HAL and on the other cruise lines.

We have to assume Captains and pilots only get to be in top positions because they are deemed capable of doing the job. However if they can also have the ability to reassure their passengers it is a bonus. We are new to HAL and perhaps just not familiar with the feel of the ships. The drill completely threw us being held on the promenade deck in utter chaos. Staff were calling from a hand held loud hailer, passengers were walking through trying to find the right area on deck to stand. A register was called but how they knew if passengers were there or not is anyone's guess. The three levels of emergency different to any ship we have sailed before, a total nightmare. The captains voice recorded safety message lost amongst the chaos of passengers turning up late. All in all it just set the tone of the cruise. The fact we had a real emergency, again a first for us, was not ideal after such a chaotic drill.

We must have seen a cruise director but have no memory of him/her. The whole cruise just lacked something. If it hadn't been for the wonderful scenery and places we visited it would have rated very poorly overall and yet the ship was styled beautifully and the size we really like. The promenade deck is beautiful and the public rooms comfortable. We liked the crows nest area combined with its proximity to the Internet and library during the day. Just don't get me started on the food !!!! That's a whole new topic!

Interesting thread. I work on a small ship (40 crew total, less than 5-10 in hospitality department depending on season - I am the Purser).

Someone mentionned the Captain wasn't on the bridge much as he was often seen in guest areas. It is not the Captain's Duty to be on the bridge, he doesn't do a watch. The Captain will dock the ship (on cruise ships, the Staff Captain may do that, I am not sure about that one). During fog, heavy seas or the like, the Captain will also be on the bridge most of the time or ask someone he trusts to be if those conditions last for a long time and he judges he can safely do so.

Also, usually the cruise line decides what they want from the Captains intereaction wise and the Captains will comply (some with great pleasure, some ''to do their job''). If the Company decreases their list of things to do for passengers, most of them will just comply; unless they are long-time Captains who really enjoyed some of those things, then they might take upon themselves to continue doing them on their ''free time''.

I would be interested to hear about the incident that happened when ''passengers died'', I would be very surprised the Captain had anything to do with it... but I may be mistaken as I don't know the circumstances. I'm sure it has been discussed on these boards before but I don't come the CC boards anymore unless I have a cruise booked.

And I am quite sure the Cruise Line actually ASKED their new Female Captain to make sure she was seen by the passengers and and the crew so I don't think anyone should hold it against her... sorry, but this post just sounded sexist to me. I look forward to the day we will have a Female Captain on one of our ships (we have a few Female First Mates on some of our cargo ships and we now have a few Female Navigation Officers on the ship I work on).

In regards to the Captain not reassuring his passengers when there was a fire onboard. Sure, the Captain should act in a reassuring manner but his first duty is to over see the overall safety of the passenger, crew and vessel during this crisis. Therefore, it's perfectly normal that all his communications will be brief. As passengers, in time of crisis, it's our duty to simply listen carefuly, keep calm and follow any order.

Before I became a crew member, I once encountered an emergency on a ship. The QM2 lost all power (adrift in the middle of the Atlantic). The Captain made an announcement and asked passengers to stay in their cabins (I guess most people were in their cabin as it was around 1am). Personnally, what made me feel safer was to get my things ready. I cannot stress enough how much a mini flash light could help you in case of an emergency. I always have a very small one with me, even in my evening purse. I took my mini backpack, added the flashlight, cell phone, beach towel and two bottles of water. I dressed in warm clothes (wool is best if you have any with you - I bring a pair of wool socks and wool sweater). I knew I was ready and it helped me. Now, I don't wait and I prepare my small bag before each muster drill (but flashlight stays with me) and the bag stays packed until the last morning.