Best Airline for Overseas? Worst? And Why?

johnjen

I would probably say that the best airline experience across the pond would probably be the Etihad Residence. Separate living room, bedroom and private bathroom. No worries about seat pitch or width, no rude and surly seatmates.
My best flights (great service, on time, bags made it) -- Pan Am (I do go way back), TWA, Piedmont, Texas International, Continental, United, Singapore, Thai, Delta, NW, BA, Virgin, KLM, LH, Swiss Air, Air France, SAS.. among others.

My worst flights (poor service, late, bags misconnected) -- Pan Am, TWA, Piedmont, Texas International, Continental, United, Singapore, Thai, Delta, NW, BA, Virgin, KLM, Swiss Air, Air France, SAS... among others

The best and truest posts in this thread. (Even if I'm curious as to why LH didn't make it into PaulMCO's second list. ;))

Having flown China Eastern and China Southern in business and Vietnam in both business and coach, I can say that I am was happy with the attentive services given. Especially pleased with VN equipment on their A321 routes. I have only flown MU and CZ with their updated business class, not the really old barcalounger seats.

I've just begun perusing this cruise air thread since next year's cruise is out of Barcelona.

What's the best airline for flying overseas and what's the worst? I know it's often a crapshoot in choosing.

For us, the best so far has been KLM:

Great customer service

Roomier seats

Free Heinekens

Comfortable flight/choice of seating

Easy arrangements

Worst for us was United:

Was unable to pre-arrange seats, ended up in the middle of a 777

Smaller seats, less room

Rude flight attendants

If you are cruising out of BCN and flying from the US why are you even looking at KLM??:confused: United, Delta and American all fly direct to BCN form the US. If you are unwilling or unable to pay for biz class seats they all have extra leg room seating (for a little extra cost.) The reality is if you are flying in the back there is really not much difference on any airline.

Easy arrangements - I could've explained more...it was easier to get someone on the phone with KLM than any other airline we've flown with. Horrific with United.

NOT tarnishing FA's with the same brush. Depends on the flights, times, etc. I just didn't enjoy the flights on United at all.

It's 2016 why do you need to get someone on the phone to make arrangements. All the airlines have the new fangled things called websites now, where you can look up schedules, book flights, pick seats (some charge ahead of time others do not), check in for your flight, print boarding passes, and even make changes when needed.

Even the article says it's not in their plans right now. The big problem with the A321LR isn't the range, it's the lack of cargo capacity.

Although, why do we have to wait? The major US airlines already fly narrowbody 757s across the Atlantic already (along with Icelandair), and the major Canadian airlines already fly both the A319 and 737s across the atlantic.

If you are cruising out of BCN and flying from the US why are you even looking at KLM??:confused: United, Delta and American all fly direct to BCN form the US.
But not from everywhere in the US. So if the OP has to connect somewhere anyway, there are good arguments for doing the connection in Europe. Especially Amsterdam, where (if strange and exotic foreign lands are a concern) the standard of spoken English is generally superior to that at Heathrow, Miami and some other well-known airports.

But not from everywhere in the US. So if the OP has to connect somewhere anyway, there are good arguments for doing the connection in Europe. Especially Amsterdam, where (if strange and exotic foreign lands are a concern) the standard of spoken English is generally superior to that at Heathrow, Miami and some other well-known airports.

For some reason, count me in the camp as preferring to connect in

Europe. I can still work the day of the TA flight and after the European connection, we don't get into a city so early that a hotel room isn't ready for check in.

For Europe economy we like Lufthansa. Have had several Air Canada, BA, and Transat. They were all OK. Have done business class on AC-it was very good. Better than Lufthansa or United. Just our experience.

Did three Vietnam Airlines flights (all domestic) this past winter. They were all fine. On time. Usual service for short flights.

We do not check any bags so cannot comment on lost luggage etc.

For some reason, count me in the camp as preferring to connect in

Europe. I can still work the day of the TA flight and after the European connection, we don't get into a city so early that a hotel room isn't ready for check in.

Not everyone has that option. For me to get a flight directly from MCO, the choices are limited and often require either a very long layover or changing airports (LGW to LHR for example.).

Not everyone has that option. For me to get a flight directly from MCO, the choices are limited and often require either a very long layover or changing airports (LGW to LHR for example.).

I only have 2 options to get nonstop to/from my home airport/Europe. So, I'm usually having to do the multi-hop. So, many times I'm doing the intra-Europe hop to where I can pick up those flights. Or, I may do my intra-Europe flight because it will get me to a cheaper gateway for a flight to JFK/ATL/LAX/ORD/etc where I can pick up another flight to home. I like that the initial check-in is domestic, so I don't have to fuss with the I&C stuff so I can arrive later to the airport. I build in enough connection time to do the transit at the next airport, hit the airline lounge, have a bite, stretch my legs, before I have to get on the TATL segment. I get claustrophobic at times, so I actually prefer to break up my flights to I can breathe in some wide open spaces...

As a rule of thumb [and I totally agree that there are lots of variables that can make some flights better than others], I would suggest the following priority list, in purely generic terms:

1. Far East Airlines

2. Mid East Airlines [but beware of cramming in Economy on Emirates]

3. Northern European/Antipodean Airlines

4. Southern European Airlines

5. North American Airlines

Obviously purely subjective, and I haven't flown on any Southern American or African airlines, so cannot comment on these.

I have flown on all categories of airlines that you listed.

I do agree that the Far East airlines like, KAL, Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific are super.

The Mid-East airlines don't rate second, especially if you are on Egypt Air, Saudia and some others. I have never flown on Emirates, so I can't say about them.

I would avoid Iberia like the plague and have had friends that found al Italia to be not so great.

Never flown on BA, but Air France, KLM and Lufthansa were a cut above.

As for the North American lines, I hear a lot of negatives about Air Canada.

AA is my last pick and Delta has always done me right, United is my second choice.

I do agree that the Far East airlines like, KAL, Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific are super.

The Mid-East airlines don't rate second, especially if you are on Egypt Air, Saudia and some others. I have never flown on Emirates, so I can't say about them.

I would avoid Iberia like the plague and have had friends that found al Italia to be not so great.

AA is my last pick and Delta has always done me right, United is my second choice.

The Northern European vs Southern European sounds a bit unreasonable. Northern ones are generally better because the come from richer caucasian countries?. The best airline of Europe is Turkish Airlines (SkyTrax) which is quite in south. KLM and Lufthansa in coach is much worse than Air Portugal and of course I would choose Iberia a hundred times upon British Airways. Food is better, wine list is better....and equally compared in terms of safety, puntuality and service in general.

There's a new Iberia and it doesn't have anything to do when Willie Walsh wanted to make it a Second class branch of BA.

The Northern European vs Southern European sounds a bit unreasonable. Northern ones are generally better because the come from richer caucasian countries?. The best airline of Europe is Turkish Airlines (SkyTrax) which is quite in south. KLM and Lufthansa in coach is much worse than Air Portugal and of course I would choose Iberia a hundred times upon British Airways. Food is better, wine list is better....and equally compared in terms of safety, puntuality and service in general.

There's a new Iberia and it doesn't have anything to do when Willie Walsh wanted to make it a Second class branch of BA.

4774Papa didn't exactly make a broad generalization of "northern" European vs "southern European airlines, and he certainly never said anything about "rich caucasian countries." He simply made comments about a few in particular that he has flown on. :confused:

That said, if your opinion is that Turkish Airlines is best or that Air Portugal is better than whomever, it would be helpful if you explained why. What is "best" for one person might have no bearing on what another person values in an airline. ;)

I travel about 50 - 75k miles a year flying and try to use Delta as much as I can mostly because miles can be cashed in on Hotel rooms in place of flights. I don't think any other airline mileage programs allow you to do this.

When we lived on the east coast of NC I used US Air (Now American) quite a bit. If you are flying US Air and connect through Charlotte its great. Any other airline connecting in Charlotte is usually limited in options as thats an American Airlines major hub.

Going over seas last June we were going to use Delta miles for one ticket and we found that by booking Iceland Air we got both our tickets for just a little more than a single Delta ticket (It was 1600 RT for one Delta flight and 1800 for 2 RT Iceland air flights to Copenhagen)

The thing we liked most about Iceland Air is that you will have a layover in Iceland. If you don't mind a layover or can fit it into your schedule, it doesnt cost a penny more on Iceland Air to stretch that layover into an extra day, 3 days, a week... to spend time in Iceland. So now when we have to go to Europe Wifey begs to go Iceland Air so we can spend a day at the Blue Lagoon which is totally worth making time for.

-Sean

4774Papa didn't exactly make a broad generalization of "northern" European vs "southern European airlines, and he certainly never said anything about "rich caucasian countries." He simply made comments about a few in particular that he has flown on. :confused:

That said, if your opinion is that Turkish Airlines is best or that Air Portugal is better than whomever, it would be helpful if you explained why. What is "best" for one person might have no bearing on what another person values in an airline. ;)

I think it was wowzz who made the classification just for purely geographical terms. I didn't mean to sound offensive but why northern europe airlines are better?. I have been reading about Iberia bashing on and on, and having flown myself in many airlines I don't think it's that bad as to avoid it.

Turkish have been the winner for Skytrax for many years. It's just awesome in all aspects. Air Portugal is about friendliness, smiling crews, plentiful delicious Portuguese regional meals served in all flights and a confortable LIS hub for their flights.

Don't take my comments literally. I feel sometimes that we overrate some airlines when we compare their performance to the country they are based. Few people know one of the best airline in the world is Ethiopian Airlines. SAS is bland, boring and cold. And Alitalia is now a fantastic airline after their recovery plan and new image. Like a shinning new beginning.

http://www.airlinequality.com/ratings/turkish-airlines-star-rating/

Turkish have been the winner for Skytrax for many years. It's just awesome in all aspects.
Not all aspects.

To me, safe pilots are quite important in an airline, even if it's not something that affects the airline's spend with Skytrax and therefore the rating that Skytrax gives the airline.

Not all aspects.

To me, safe pilots are quite important in an airline, even if it's not something that affects the airline's spend with Skytrax and therefore the rating that Skytrax gives the airline.

You are right¡. This survey is based just in passengers comments and I am affraid there are some disturbing issues lately.

I didn't mean to sound offensive but why northern europe airlines are better?. I have been reading about Iberia bashing on and on, and having flown myself in many airlines I don't think it's that bad as to avoid it.

Turkish have been the winner for Skytrax for many years. It's just awesome in all aspects. Air Portugal is about friendliness, smiling crews, plentiful delicious Portuguese regional meals served in all flights and a confortable LIS hub for their flights.

Don't take my comments literally.

And Wowzz would be equally advised to list WHY he thinks Iberia is so terrible. Just saying "avoid them like the plague" doesn't say much.

Thanks for saying why you think Air Portugal is best, but it does prove my point to a degree. you commented on the in flight service and meals and the Lisbon airport. Obviously those are what's most important to you. But some might prefer to earn their airline miles in another airline alliance, or prefer the itineraries/routing of another airline, or prefer another airline's hard product. So again, there's really no way to say "Airline X" is best, period.

If you don't want your comments taken literally, why post them? ;)

And Wowzz would be equally advised to list WHY he thinks Iberia is so terrible. Just saying "avoid them like the plague" doesn't say much.

Thanks for saying why you think Air Portugal is best, but it does prove my point to a degree. you commented on the in flight service and meals and the Lisbon airport. Obviously those are what's most important to you. But some might prefer to earn their airline miles in another airline alliance, or prefer the itineraries/routing of another airline, or prefer another airline's hard product. So again, there's really no way to say "Airline X" is best, period.

Internet tends to be a confusing place. In a real conversation some of my comments would depend on the context, tone, gestures even smiles. In Internet all looks too dramatical.

However I have to admit that I didn't like the comment. [emoji3]

I travel about 50 - 75k miles a year flying and try to use Delta as much as I can mostly because miles can be cashed in on Hotel rooms in place of flights. I don't think any other airline mileage programs allow you to do this.

And DL is quite happy that you are making such poor use of your miles. Hotel redemptions are lousy returns on your flying - but if you prefer that....

I did not make that comment about Iberia - it was made by 4774papa.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

BA is fabulous. Air France--NEVER AGAIN.

And DL is quite happy that you are making such poor use of your miles. Hotel redemptions are lousy returns on your flying - but if you prefer that....

Agreed! Adding that several of the carriers allow you to covert miles to points. Never have done it, doubt I ever will!

BA is fabulous. Air France--NEVER AGAIN.

I must admit that my information on Iberia may be somewhat dated. My travel experiences fall into two categories. First when I lived overseas (Germany and Middle East during the 80s and early 90s. Then from 2010 to date after retirement.

I know several people that tried Iberia in the 80s and almost everyone had bad things to say about them. In the last six years, I have talked to a few travelers that did Iberia and were not too happy with their experience. Perhaps they have improved.

My personal experience with Air France has been very positive. Because we fly Delta a lot, Air France is in the Sky Team and we have flown them on several flights, all were a cut above.

I do believe that the best indicator of overall quality is from reviews of persons that took the airline. Still, my personal experience makes a difference to me. Also, price is a huge factor.

I have noted that Turkish Airlines has some great deals flying to Europe, but they always seem to involve flying to Istanbul, then back west to our city of choice. Sometimes flying extra miles in extra airports is just not worth the discounted prices.

Air France had computer problems that caused them to not be able to check us in. I tried doing it online. Wouldn't work. Tried calling, they couldn't get us checked in that way either. Went to the counter and waited there for over TWO HOURS while they made repeated calls to Paris trying to resolve it. At one point they weren't sure they'd even be able to figure it out before the flight left. They were abrupt and rude. They could see our booking weren't able to check us in. They promised over and over that our seats wouldn't be given away. I had booked these tickets the day they were available to buy--a full year in advance. They finally got the problem resolved and our seats were gone. They had us in middle seats in separate rows. I told them no way, they had promised that wouldn't happen. I refused to budge, told them they needed to call the damn CEO of Air France if they needed to in order to fix it. It was ridiculously stressful. One of the reasons I had booked PE was for the aisle and window next to each other.

They finally gave us BP's for our original seats. The only reason we didn't miss the flight was because it was almost three hours delayed.

On the way home--Same problem. Ridiculous.

On top of that the FA was incredibly rude when I asked for more water. Sorry that the little 4 ounce bottle they give you isn't enough for a freaking seven hour flight.

Also my seat was broken--same seat in both directions and I was told "too bad" and the PE toilet was also broken. It was definitely the same plane as there was an ink stain on the seat. The chances of the same stain in the same place on two separate planes is pretty scarce.