Classic Beverage Pkg - Questions

slavearlen

We booked Celebrity 11 day on the Equinox. We received a complimentary "Classic Beverage" package. It allows up to $8 for wine, $6 for beer, etc. Has anyone used this beverage package? Assume if the wine is $12 for a glass, we pay the difference? Any other limitations we should know about? Appreciate any and all info regarding this package.

We booked Celebrity 11 day on the Equinox. We received a complimentary "Classic Beverage" package. It allows up to $8 for wine, $6 for beer, etc. Has anyone used this beverage package? Assume if the wine is $12 for a glass, we pay the difference? Any other limitations we should know about? Appreciate any and all info regarding this package.

On the Classic package, I'm afraid you have to pay the full price for anything over the allowed limit.

On the Classic package, I'm afraid you have to pay the full price for anything over the allowed limit.

My guess is most drinks are more than the allocated amount in this Classic Beverage Package so when we receive this for FREE for the booking, it likely has little value. Your thoughts?

My guess is most drinks are more than the allocated amount in this Classic Beverage Package so when we receive this for FREE for the booking, it likely has little value. Your thoughts?

It depends what you like to drink. We had friends who were fine with just the classic package. I always upgrade to premium because I'm picky with wine and love martinis. The upgrade is $10 plus 18% per person per day. One person can upgrade and you can wait until you are on the ship to see if you think you want to upgrade or not. If you search this site there are lots of helpful threads.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by AlbertaCruisers

Don't jump to conclusions.

For instance, your assumption that you only pay the difference is incorrect -- you would pay the full price of the drink.

Secondly, your assumption that there is little value to the package is also incorrect. Many cruisers find that it meets their needs with no need to upgrade or order drinks outside the package.

There are dozens and dozens of posts about the beverage packages -- I suggest that you take a look at them and you will learn whether the Classic will be ok for you or not. Every cruiser is different.

Wine is included in the Classic Beverage Package up to 11 $ per glass.

On our last cruise we travelled with parents and friend who all liked their wines - and always found something within the price of the package.

If you are above the included price, things are handled differently from time to time. Theory is that you have to pay the full price, not just the difference. However, on the mentioned cruise once or twice our friends wanted to try a different wine for 13$ a glass. The sommelier smiled at them and said "today it is part of the package"...

We enjoyed the Classic Package on a few cruises now and never felt the need to upgrade.

Edited by Miaminice

Wine is included in the Classic Beverage Package up to 11 $ per glass.

On our last cruise we travelled with parents and friend who all liked their wines - and always found something within the price of the package.

If you are above the included price, things are handled differently from time to time. Theory is that you have to pay the full price, not just the difference. However, on the mentioned cruise once or twice our friends wanted to try a different wine for 13$ a glass. The sommelier smiled at them and said "today it is part of the package"...

We enjoyed the Classic Package on a few cruises now and never felt the need to upgrade.

Thank you so much. The Celebrity Cruises website states that the wine is up to $9 per serving. Is that incorrect? I have a group traveling with me and all I am trying to do is address their questions and concerns. I'm very likely able to live with the Classic Package for like your said, it's not for all so just trying to understand some of the fine print. I know you understand.

We have done 3 cruises with the Classic package and never felt the need to upgrade. Everything we enjoy is included. Give it a try for a day or two. You can always upgrade, if you find it necessary, as long as there are 3 days left to cruise. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Thank you so much. The Celebrity Cruises website states that the wine is up to $9 per serving. Is that incorrect? I have a group traveling with me and all I am trying to do is address their questions and concerns. I'm very likely able to live with the Classic Package for like your said, it's not for all so just trying to understand some of the fine print. I know you understand.

Well, our last cruise was in May on Eclipse. I can tell you for sure it was 11 $ per glass then. I have no idea what it was before, but I suspect it is another one of the outdated informations on the infamous website.

If you are interested contact me by email (oliver at travelandcruise.net) and I can dend you a PDF of the wine list and the lounge drink menu. The wine list is from Blu. However, it should not be too different in other venues.

Well, our last cruise was in May on Eclipse. I can tell you for sure it was 11 $ per glass then. I have no idea what it was before, but I suspect it is another one of the outdated informations on the infamous website.

If you are interested contact me by email (oliver at travelandcruise.net) and I can dend you a PDF of the wine list and the lounge drink menu. The wine list is from Blu. However, it should not be too different in other venues.

Thank you so much for your reply. I will email you.

Hosts, as mentioned on another thread, here's another drinks package question. Surely a sticky on the drinks packages would help people? You have one for cabins but not for the drinks package. It would help people like the OP to be able to find the info they need easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On cruises sailing from Southhampton the gratuity is included in the price. For conformation please check Celebrity's web site. Unless there has been a very recent change, the information on the web site is most likely correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you were sailing out if Southampton the wine lists & bar menu prices include the drink price + 18% gratutity. So a $9 glass of wine on a cruise on from Rome or Miami will be listed at $11 on a sailing from Southampton ($9 + $1.62= 10.62 rounded to $11)

Why would (Celebrity´s) gratuities be included on a cruise from Southampton?

Are you mistaking it with VAT (sometimes charged on cruises in Europe / Spain)?

No, when Celebrity Eclipse sails from Southampton the 18% Gratuity is included in the price. The price you see is the price you pay.

Not sure whether it's a cultural thing (we are uncomfortable with the notion of tipping, generally don't like service charges, and really don't like compulsory service charges) or a legal thing (in the UK the price you see is not supposed to be subject to hidden extras or qualifying criteria ("oh that price is a Military rate, you have to pay extra")...or both!

"Why would (Celebrity´s) gratuities be included on a cruise from Southampton? Are you mistaking it with VAT (sometimes charged on cruises in Europe / Spain)?"

It is definitely not the VAT. On cruises from Southampton the drink price includes the gratuity. On other cruises the gratuity is listed separately on the chit you sign. From Miami a drink may be priced at $11.00 and there is an 18% gratuity, and from Southampton the same drink is priced at $13 inclusive of gratuity -- yes there's a $0.02 cent difference but they are essentially the same thing.

Before this practice was instituted, there were bartenders and bar servers who would ask to be transferred to other ships or to take their vacation rather than work the cruises out of Southampton because they would not make their usual tips on those cruises.

We were just on a Europe cruise last month on Celebrity, we had the classic package. It was one of our perks and it was perfect! never having to worry about my tab. This is coming from a guy that once had a bar bill of $900 on a four day cruise.

We have another cruise booked already for next year on Celebrity because of this perk.

If you upgrade to the premium package, and the drink is over the limit, you only pay the difference, right? That's how it worked 2 years ago. Wondering it anything has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, this is correct. If you have premium you only pay the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is from the Celebrity website

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/book/wine-and-beverage-packages/premium-and-classic-packages

From the uk and Australia they include the gratuity in the menu prices and the amount covered by the package increases by 18%.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

We have found the bartenders and sommeliers to be very good at asking if we have a package and what type. They make suggestions within your package. With the Premium package we have tried to order more expensive wine and pay the difference and have had the sommelier say I can bring you another similar wine that is included in your package and is a much better wine. They are good at helping you choose and stay within the limits.