How The Whiners Ruined Dynamic Dining

Merion_Mom

Whiners didn't kill DD, this was purely a business decision. The Quantum class was purpose built for DD, I highly doubt they'd dump it over whining. Changing over to "regular" style dining is going to present a whole new slate of issues so I'm sure this decision wasn't made capriciously. Obviously DD in its final form was hurting their bottom line.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Edited by jstraw20

Interesting thread which I am sure is being followed by RCI. They tried something new and innovative on the Quantum and it has not been well received by many cruisers. But they are now stuck with the ship design (with smaller dining venues) and still having to satisfy most cruisers. Perhaps we are a bit different then many here because we are seniors who first cruised on RCCL when ships had fewer then 1000 passengers, waiters served out of silver serving bowls, etc.

DW reads this thread, just laughs, and says many of us simply want a cruise where we just go to dinner and get good food. No reservation hassles, no apps, etc. RCI has created a monster with DD...and they now have to find a way to make it work for a large majority of cruisers (some will always be miserable).

But here is the bottom line. In the old days, RCCL (now RCI) had terrific cuisine which kept most folks smiling. Now, it is all about the large masses, maximizing onboard revenue, reservations, etc. But what has happened to the quality of the cusine? Folks argue about reservations vs no reservations, which menu on what night, etc. But if the quality of the cuisine and service is top notch there would be few whiners. But when quality of both cuisine and service decline...then the whining increases.

Hank

Whiners didn't kill DD, this was purely a business decision. The Quantum class was purpose built for DD, I highly doubt they'd dump it over whining. Changing over to "regular" style dining is going to present a whole new slate of issues so I'm sure this decision wasn't made capriciously. Obviously DD in its final form was hurting their bottom line.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

I agree with you completely.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Interesting thread which I am sure is being followed by RCI. They tried something new and innovative on the Quantum and it has not been well received by many cruisers. But they are now stuck with the ship design (with smaller dining venues) and still having to satisfy most cruisers. Perhaps we are a bit different then many here because we are seniors who first cruised on RCCL when ships had fewer then 1000 passengers, waiters served out of silver serving bowls, etc.

DW reads this thread, just laughs, and says many of us simply want a cruise where we just go to dinner and get good food. No reservation hassles, no apps, etc. RCI has created a monster with DD...and they now have to find a way to make it work for a large majority of cruisers (some will always be miserable).

But here is the bottom line. In the old days, RCCL (now RCI) had terrific cuisine which kept most folks smiling. Now, it is all about the large masses, maximizing onboard revenue, reservations, etc. But what has happened to the quality of the cusine? Folks argue about reservations vs no reservations, which menu on what night, etc. But if the quality of the cuisine and service is top notch there would be few whiners. But when quality of both cuisine and service decline...then the whining increases.

Hank

Good post, Hank. I was one of the first to tell you that the Anthem was not for you. I have been very honest on any Anthem questions. I also remember the old days when we sailed on the Nordic Empress.

The reservation system on Anthem can be a nightmare for many in our age group. We did figure it out and loved our "new cruising experience" including DD Choice. With cruisers like us eating lobster five nights on one cruise, I'm sure we did hit RCI in their Royal Pocket.

Hey, it was all our fault!! :eek:

You just described Dynamic Dining Classic except it wasn't color coded, people were left their restaurant rotation in their cabin. All this did is tie up large quantities of tables that were left empty when people decided not to eat in the restaurant. This then left fewer table for Dynamic Dining Choice

Which is why if it were color coded on your sign and sail card that would have solved the problem.

Example

6pm, Red, table 123

Each restaurant would have the assigned color at the entrance.

I know people like my time dining but for this type of dining I would have discontinued it. My time dining equals go to the buffet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

By your signature, you have not been on many cookie cuter cruises. See bikers video. If you did not like Anthem with DD, why did you sail her twice?

We are REAL cruisers, you don't know us......DH was in the NAVY!! Protecting your a@@ :mad:

I shouldn't have to explain myself. But I will. We did the Indy cruise in late October 2014. We met some lovely people and all agreed we'd meet the following year on the same cruise. But it was anthem. Brand new ship, but didn't know anything about the ship. Booked the cruise and that was it.

I never said we didn't like to dress up, when we normally cruise, DH wears a tux. We booked The Grande on Anthem 5 nights out of 12. I, too am happy about across the ship Formal nights. Avoiding Grande will not be an option anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

By your signature, you have not been on many cookie cuter cruises. See bikers video. If you did not like Anthem with DD, why did you sail her twice?

We are REAL cruisers, you don't know us......DH was in the NAVY!! Protecting your a@@ :mad:

Next bit. We went to book explorer for April, it was 995. In the space of 3 days, they put the price up to 1500 quid. Then I saw on the same page, the same cruise in May for anthem ( that we'd already booked for October) for 1299. So I booked it.

Does that explain it ?

I never said we didn't like to dress up, when we normally cruise, DH wears a tux. We booked The Grande on Anthem 5 nights out of 12. I, too am happy about across the ship Formal nights. Avoiding Grande will not be an option anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What this topic means to me, and I have posted on this thread in the beginning, is that the restaurant menu dining options have diminished.

Translation is this ship has become a very big ship that is similar to smaller ships with limited specialty dining options. Those ships have been eliminated from our queue, as we like variety on longer cruises, and we have a final payment due on October 27th for a 12 night on this ship which is a relevant decision that is comming up for us.

IMHO, this is a newer ship with compromised amenities and not so attractive or exciting for us with this change. Shorter cruises might be fine, but that is not we booked for with this ship. NCL can easily win with Breakaway for the shorter cruises and the bene's that they offer for drinks and dining which are much less frequent on RCCL.

The 12 night on Anthem is a really nice itinerary. But thats a long time with the limited dining options, we feel.

What this topic means to me, and I have posted on this thread in the beginning, is that the restaurant menu dining options have diminished.

Translation is this ship has become a very big ship that is similar to smaller ships with limited specialty dining options. Those ships have been eliminated from our queue, as we like variety on longer cruises, and we have a final payment due on October 27th for a 12 night on this ship which is a relevant decision that is comming up for us.

IMHO, this is a newer ship with compromised amenities and not so attractive or exciting for us with this change. Shorter cruises might be fine, but that is not we booked for with this ship. NCL can easily win with Breakaway for the shorter cruises and the bene's that they offer for drinks and dining which are much less frequent on RCCL.

The 12 night on Anthem is a really nice itinerary. But thats a long time with the limited dining options, we feel.

If you want unlimited dining options perhaps cruising may not be your best vacation choice,

If you want unlimited dining options perhaps cruising may not be your best vacation choice,

This ship may not be for us, there is no doubt about it which I have said...but cruising...how presumptuous of you to even let your fingers type those letters as it relates to my husband and myself!

On Anthem, anyone could have dressed up each and every night for fine dining in The Grande if they wanted ...a freedom well above and beyond even the most minimal formal requirements on this cruiseline.

Sadly now, even that opportunity is gone, and the venue is now a nothing special MDR standard menu with your basic formal night calendar.

So let's see....dining any time and any day, in the Grande, at no extra cost, and in the Grande Style preferred by many with a menu to match turned out to be a frustration for who???

On Anthem, anyone could have dressed up each and every night for fine dining in The Grande if they wanted ...a freedom well above and beyond even the most minimal formal requirements on this cruiseline.

Sadly now, even that opportunity is gone, and the venue is now a nothing special MDR standard menu with your basic formal night calendar.

So let's see....dining any time and any day, in the Grande, at no extra cost, and in the Grande Style preferred by many with a menu to match turned out to be a frustration for who???

Not us, we dressed up and had lobster in Grande 5 times on a 12 day cruise. You won't get that anymore without a fee. I really hate to see DD go. Now in November at least half of those options are lost.

DD may not have been promoted right, and making reservations 90 days out were very frustrating and confusing. Then Royal kept changing reservations, or loosing them. I think they shot their own duck!

I actually found 6 nights to be long with the limited dining options under Dynamic dining.

I'm looking forward to longer cruises now where every night is a different menu.

You can still dress up every night if you want... and the Grande had the same minimal formal dress requirements as other ships, so it's not as though it's substantially different.

I actually found 6 nights to be long with the limited dining options under Dynamic dining.

I'm looking forward to longer cruises now where every night is a different menu.

Fortunately for us we will be on Allure in a few weeks on a seven night and will be able to sample the dining room even if its not with the new menus. If we like the food then its going to be easier to rule in or out the longer cruise on Anthem.

FYI: On our Anthem Aug. 25th cruise, I selected DD Classic and got a different menu on the 2nd & 3rd go round. Therefore you get 7 different menus on a 7 nite cruise & we got 9 different menus on our 9 nite cruise. I assume you get 12 different menus on a 12 nite with DD Classic--maybe someone can confirm this assumptions.

Also. just realized that I won't get the extra lobster nites with the elimination of DD--what a bummer.

FYI: On our Anthem Aug. 25th cruise, I selected DD Classic and got a different menu on the 2nd & 3rd go round. Therefore you get 7 different menus on a 7 nite cruise & we got 9 different menus on our 9 nite cruise. I assume you get 12 different menus on a 12 nite with DD Classic--maybe someone can confirm this assumptions.

I got 4 different menus on the 6 night DD cruise i.e. it didn't change at all over the cruise.

... and the Grande had the same minimal formal dress requirements as other ships

Not quite - as far as I know Grande on Anthem (and sometimes other Quantum class ships) was the only place where the host asked men to wear a jacket into the venue and if you didn't have one they had loaners - I don't know of any other ship in the fleet with loaner jackets for a venue. Substantially different, no, but it was different.

Not quite - as far as I know Grande on Anthem (and sometimes other Quantum class ships) was the only place where the host asked men to wear a jacket into the venue and if you didn't have one they had loaners - I don't know of any other ship in the fleet with loaner jackets for a venue. Substantially different, no, but it was different.

Yes, I saw jackets hanging by the entrance to Grande.

I got 4 different menus on the 6 night DD cruise i.e. it didn't change at all over the cruise.

If you ate in all four of the free restaurants, the menus should have changed by day four giving you six different menus on a six day cruise.

That means you choose to dine in the same restaurants on two nights. or they Royally screwed up.

Edited by Ocean Dancer