How The Whiners Ruined Dynamic Dining

Merion_Mom

Not quite - as far as I know Grande on Anthem (and sometimes other Quantum class ships) was the only place where the host asked men to wear a jacket into the venue and if you didn't have one they had loaners - I don't know of any other ship in the fleet with loaner jackets for a venue. Substantially different, no, but it was different.

Yes they were there, but a size 42 jacket on a skinny young lad with a Newcastle football shirt didn't look that great .......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And I'll thank you for that, but I meant for his service. I see you are from the UK.........aren't we now on the same side since the Revolutionary War?

There was that pesky altercation in 1812 as well.

Please thank your husband on our behalf. Laura and I are Navy parents and understand the sacrifices.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Edited by John&LaLa

I got 4 different menus on the 6 night DD cruise i.e. it didn't change at all over the cruise.

If you ate in all four of the free restaurants, the menus should have changed by day four giving you six different menus on a six day cruise.

That means you choose to dine in the same restaurants on two nights. or they Royally screwed up.

My head is spinning, you actually had eight menus. but since your cruise was only 6 days, you had to choose which restaurant/menu for your last two nights, therefore making it 6 menus, but over the entire cruise, you had the option of 8 menus. Some folks have reported more, or a 3rd menu added to each restaurant totaling 12 menus.

Not quite - as far as I know Grande on Anthem (and sometimes other Quantum class ships) was the only place where the host asked men to wear a jacket into the venue and if you didn't have one they had loaners - I don't know of any other ship in the fleet with loaner jackets for a venue. Substantially different, no, but it was different.

Fair point. They didn't run formal distinctions on Quantum so it wasn't part of our experience, but it was a moderate difference on Anthem.

If you ate in all four of the free restaurants, the menus should have changed by day four giving you six different menus on a six day cruise.

That means you choose to dine in the same restaurants on two nights. or they Royally screwed up.

From day 1 to day 6, the menus in each of the 4 restaurants stayed the same. It's not ideal though - would you go to the same restaurant on land twice in a week? Land restaurants usually have a more extensive menu than these as well.

My head is spinning, you actually had eight menus. but since your cruise was only 6 days, you had to choose which restaurant/menu for your last two nights, therefore making it 6 menus, but over the entire cruise, you had the option of 8 menus.

No, as said in my post that you replied to "it didn't change at all over the cruise." There were only 4 menus - 1 per restaurant.

Edited by The_Big_M

From day 1 to day 6, the menus in each of the 4 restaurants stayed the same. It's not ideal though - would you go to the same restaurant on land twice in a week? Land restaurants usually have a more extensive menu than these as well.

No, as said in my post that you replied to "it didn't change at all over the cruise." There were only 4 menus - 1 per restaurant.

Was this on Anthem? I ask because you are in Australia, and things might be different on Ovation/Quantum. Most people here are talking about their DD experience on Anthem.

On our Anthem cruise, and according to reviews, on most people's Anthem cruises, each restaurant has an A menu, a B menu and a C menu. The menus change after 4 days. So if we dined in each restaurant on the first 4 nights we would have the A menus, and then if we went back to each of them on the next 4 nights, we would have the B menus, and so on

Edited by DonnaK

I was on Quantum in December 2014. IDK what changes and/or improvements have been made since, but at that time the DD had to be one of the worst experiences I have had on a cruise. Waiting up to an hour some times to eat in our restaurant of choice, or eat in WJ every night or the regular restaurant (forgot it's name) where it was the same 4 item menu every night. Only thing we got out of it was we got offered to dine in the diamond + members only restaurant, along with several others just so we weren't standing around anymore waiting for a place to sit. Ever since when anyone has asked me about cruises I've strongly advised them to stay away from Quantum class or any RCI that only has DD. The night we went to Chops we saw a family outside in obvious distress and overheard the older gentleman in the group complaining they were still waiting for their table reservation 45 minutes prior.

Edited by Fastdak25

I was on Quantum in December 2014. Ever since when anyone has asked me about cruises I've strongly advised them to stay away from Quantum class or any RCI that only has DD.

This could apply to any experience on any ship. One could have a horrible internet connection on a sailing and advise everyone to never buy the WiFi package. Without multiple more recent reports anyone could advise the same thing. Your DD experience was not the norm.

This could apply to any experience on any ship. One could have a horrible internet connection on a sailing and advise everyone to never buy the WiFi package. Without multiple more recent reports anyone could advise the same thing. Your DD experience was not the norm.

Of course every trip is going to have some people unhappy about some part of the experience, but the overall impression we got from talking to many other people on that trip was pretty much the same. Haven't seen such a significant problem on the other trips I have been on experienced by a large percentage of passengers. And it was made known in passenger reviews at the time from what i remember reading.

And it was made known in passenger reviews at the time from what i remember reading.

To this day review ratings for Quantum class ships is lower (46% for Quantum, 48% for Anthem, 59% for Ovation) than most of the other ships in the fleet (Empress is the next lowest at 55%) and DD complaints are probably numerous. Yet, RCI has never had a problem filling the ship at higher rates than most of other ships. Go figure.

To this day review ratings for Quantum class ships is lower (46% for Quantum, 48% for Anthem, 59% for Ovation) than most of the other ships in the fleet (Empress is the next lowest at 55%) and DD complaints are probably numerous. Yet, RCI has never had a problem filling the ship at higher rates than most of other ships. Go figure.

I'm guessing everyone wants to know what all the "whining "is all about:D

Edited by Ocean Dancer

RCCL would also be saving money by removing the variety of DD since there are fewer menus and dishes to prepare. Meanwhile passengers are more likely to go to the specialty restaurants for variety, so RCCL earns more from that.

This guy gets it. It was too expensive to continue, now they make more money.

And the most valued customers, the Pinnacle members (who are very likely older cruisers, set in their ways) were probably the loudest complainers about not having early and late seating times. The younger generation of gold/platinum members or non-C&A cruisers probably loved the dynamic dining choice.

$_$

I was on Quantum in December 2014. IDK what changes and/or improvements have been made since, but at that time the DD had to be one of the worst experiences I have had on a cruise. Waiting up to an hour some times to eat in our restaurant of choice, or eat in WJ every night or the regular restaurant (forgot it's name) where it was the same 4 item menu every night. Only thing we got out of it was we got offered to dine in the diamond + members only restaurant, along with several others just so we weren't standing around anymore waiting for a place to sit. Ever since when anyone has asked me about cruises I've strongly advised them to stay away from Quantum class or any RCI that only has DD. The night we went to Chops we saw a family outside in obvious distress and overheard the older gentleman in the group complaining they were still waiting for their table reservation 45 minutes prior.

As far as I know there isn't any D+ only restaurant, unless you ate in Coastal Kitchen which is reserved for suite guests only. I'm assuming you did not have any prior reservations. As far as Chops, can't comment as I've never had any problems whatsoever in both Quantum & the recent Anthem cruise. I'm saddened that RCL is doing away with DD and going back to a boring MDR concept.

And I'll thank you for that, but I meant for his service. I see you are from the UK.........aren't we now on the same side since the Revolutionary War?

I'll fight alongside anyone that gets rid of all this PC rubbish and needs to keep their identity.

Happy cruising x

Gonna enjoy formal might wearing my not so formal, clean, not torn, non bathing suit and paid for clothing. Look the other way when I enter the dining room those two nights, wouldn't want to upset anyone's cruise, NOT.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Embrace the non formal , formal might [emoji3]

Where do you find these statistics Bike19?

Compared to most other RCI ships that have a rating greater than 70%.

It will be interesting to how, if any, the roll out of traditional dining will affect those numbers.

Biker, who does not believe Quantum class ships will reach say Oasis levels even after the elimination of DD.