How The Whiners Ruined Dynamic Dining

Merion_Mom

Are people choosing, or being forced into My Time? I book a year out and am told there's no main seating so my "choices" are MyTime or late seating. I've always asked for late and to be waitlisted for early, and have always gotten early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure that booking early gives you your choice up front when booking. It will put you at the top of the wait list.. I believe RCI keeps a lot spots open for their Suite and repeat customers that will book later/..

It does seem that it's getting harder and harder to get tradtional dining well in advance.

I agree. However I have always been rewarded with traditional early seating. I feel on the Oasis class ships late seating has the least demand.

As far as MTD I noticed something on last year Oasis cruises that the MDR was seating MTD passengers in surrounding tables. How do I know that? Well you notice the people you are dinning with and It was strange to see different people sometimes at those tables. Finally the second last night I asked our waiter who was serving some of these tables what happen to the folks who have been eating there. His response was they were eating at a speciality restaurant tonight and the table was being used by MTD dinners.

As far as MTD I noticed something on last year Oasis cruises that the MDR was seating MTD passengers in surrounding tables.

Using tables on the MDR decks for MTD has been reported for quite some time.

Biker, who was seated 3 times (out 9 nights) on the MDR deck of Serenade even tough he had MTD.

We were only able to get late traditional seating for our upcoming Anthem cruise. Both early and MTD were "closed", meaning no wait lists. We are hoping to change to early, or MTD with a standing early reservation, once we are onboard.

The ONLY reservation for MTD we could get for our Anthem cruise last week was 8:45, too late for us. As soon as we got on board, I went directly to the restaurant and was able to get an earlier time, one that suited us perfectly.

For now. With the numbers of MTDers going up (last year CEO said it was at 40% and climbing) and customers going away from traditional dining and dress, some form of DD will likely make a come back.

I can vouch for it becoming more popular. On Freedom last month, we were MTD. Used to be only on Deck 5, but now there is also a section of MTD down on Deck 4 (where we were every night), so it seems to be growing.

Are people choosing, or being forced into My Time? I book a year out and am told there's no main seating so my "choices" are MyTime or late seating. I've always asked for late and to be waitlisted for early, and have always gotten early.

I've always thought that was odd as well. We book a cruise more than a year ahead of time and the early seating is already unavailable?? Hard to believe...

• 1 month later...
I absolutely loved DD on Anthem and that's why I have it booked again for next year. It was my belief that if people wanted a traditional dining experience, they should book a different ship. Anthem was different for a reason - to attract a different type of passenger. It's a shame it's going away. I wonder what else they're going to change about that ship. I'm not sure what to do with my current booking.

The same option we had when we first booked Anthem way back . Not knowing at the time that in fact DD was the only complimentary option, other than Windjammer when booking on an exclusive crown & anchor time slot. Lump It! Or loose your deposit and be charged a further cancellation fee. And to rub salt into our wounds they told all us c/a customers there would be no on board credit or any form of incentives. Within weeks they were giving everything away to any Tom, Dick or Harry. Because their normal clientele weren't booking.

I've been away from the RCI board for a couple of months. It's good to see that nothing has changed.:)

I just came across this one and 100% agree with what you posted Sept 2016.

After some adjustment from what we were used to, we liked it. Silk as a restaurant was crappy but that could have been fixed easily.

The same option we had when we first booked Anthem way back . Not knowing at the time that in fact DD was the only complimentary option, other than Windjammer when booking on an exclusive crown & anchor time slot. Lump It! Or loose your deposit and be charged a further cancellation fee. And to rub salt into our wounds they told all us c/a customers there would be no on board credit or any form of incentives. Within weeks they were giving everything away to any Tom, Dick or Harry. Because their normal clientele weren't booking.

There you have it! Here is the reason why DD was scrapped. Not enough new passengers were booking to make it profitable or to replace their base clientele.

MARAPRINCE

I wonder if because of vociferous complaints about the Q class whether dining venues, DD, or the general ship's configuration (no Royal Promenade) is why RCL is placing 3 Q class ships in the Far East.

There was a thread with a RCL announcement that the latest Q ship version will be more tech advanced than it's predecessors.

There you have it! Here is the reason why DD was scrapped. Not enough new passengers were booking to make it profitable or to replace their base clientele

No, it was as the thread title suggests - enough feedback (whiners) made RCI change their mind.