Bye Bye Lobsters

BirdTravels

No, unless you are in The Haven, continental breakfast still gets the ridiculous $7.95 "service charge".

Nope. We were in an inside cabin and the continental breakfast of coffee, juice, and pastry was free. We had it several times.

I suggest you re-read what you quoted and you'll see it's free ...

"Morning coffee, continental breakfast AND orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge..."

We booked a suite and paid extra for the SPD so we could have lobster, since we live in AZ we do not get good lobster .NCL keeps getting cheaper and cheaper if we get on the ship and they do not have lobster I will cancel the next cruise a suite in POA.

Good for you! Give up the best Hawaiian cruise in the industry over a lobster???

The removal of lobster from the Ala cart pay restaurants tells me that not many passengers are paying full price at these restaurants. If they were NCL would simply adjust the price higher. But taking it completely away is a dead giveaway these places aren't generating much revenue and are mainly dedicated to serving the UDP, SPD (and whatever they label it next month) in an effort to simulate early bookings.

Book with NCL at inflated rates, receive free drinks and fine dining! It's all free! Free! FREE!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I'm with NH Cruisers & others on this frozen lobster-mania ... borrowing the notion from the loyalist this time, "just get over it." You aren't missing anything & spend the money on something else or save it for a real seafood feast on land. With last-minute (emailed) Latitude rates for the Breakaway as low as $57 p/p daily this month ... wow, collateral results for going upscale (the promise, that is) while trying to fill unsold cabins (for those of us who don't care for the "freebies" masked by higher prices) :rolleyes: :eek:

Seriously, order a fresh & live lobster at your local/nearby Red Lobster seafood place, yes - those chain stores - they probably have as much pricing leverage as NCL in procurement. It will be served hot and tasty - optional: melted butter (we just do pepper & salt ... better for the heart & arteries) to taste the true freshness. And, not overcooked or else send it back.

As for hotdogs on a cruise - no thanks, I drive pass the original Nathans on Coney Island, New York City ... every week. But, be NCL's guest and "Feel Free".

Ok just called NCL to clarify. Room service is free for suite and haven guests. So the wording on their website is wrong saying haven guests. It should say free fror suite and haven guests.

Which means that 15% of those on board get free room service and don't have to pay the 18% gratuity on the free packages. Two perks for paying substantially more for your accommodations than the other 85% of us that are down in steerage with Leo.

Sent from my VS880 using Forums mobile app

Royal Caribbean still serves free lobster in the main dining room on formal nights on the Caribbean routes.

Room service is free on Royal also, unless you order between certain hours in the middle of the night (I think midnight-5am) and the charge is $5.95 in that case.

But keep in mind that cruise fares on Royal are 2 to 3 times more expensive than NCL from what I can see. A 7 day cruise on thanksgiving week with NCL is about $500 on the Getaway, but on Royal it is $1,300-$1,500 on their Freedom class ships (nice ships, seemingly comparable to getaway, but royal's newest and biggest ships would cost even more money).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

way to pick and choose ships to compare pricing in order to support your statement. You pick a holiday sailing from a port (Galveston) where there is little to no competition so of course prices are going to be up there.

The other Freedom class ship is only doing a 6 day cruise that week so that is not a fair comparison, and the Independence is not sailing the Caribbean so you can't be talking about that one either, which leaves the Liberty of the Seas.

Why not price 2 ships that sail from the same vicinity (Miami/Ft.Lauderdale) and see how the prices compare?

Bill

Sorry I am just dropping in on this discussion.. but are you saying that they have eliminated free room service? If so, what does it cost?

We are just about to book an Alaskan cruise on NCL -- they have the best price right now for the cruise we want to do -- but worried about the comments we have been reading regarding the beverage policy and now this.

We would appreciate any clarification. Is room service no longer included in cruise fare?

Thanks,

Becky

This is not to do with the Beverage policy but just to let you know we went Celebrity for a very good price and loved the itinerary. We went from Vancouver to Seward then took the train to Anchorage. Absolutely loved it. Sorry to get off track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if CCL and RCCL have done the same?

Carnival only serves lobster on cruises 5 days or longer. It was replaced by a scallop appetizer and a seafood ravioli in a vodka sauce. Can purchase a Steakhouse entree in the MDR ($20) on ships that do not have a steakhouse. Options include whole lobster or surf n turf on a rotating menu every night. The steakhouse still serves lobster.

Princess is similar.

From a Google Search, I 'discovered' that NCL allows a per diem, per passenger cost of food allowance of $7.50 to $8.50, per day, (the least amount of any major cruise line)! :mad:

Sure...if you want to rely on something posted 7 years ago by a person who was a questionable source at best. I don't know what the current number is but there's a good chance it's not what you quoted.

From a Google Search, I 'discovered' that NCL allows a per diem, per passenger cost of food allowance of $7.50 to $8.50, per day, (the least amount of any major cruise line)! :mad:

Sure...if you want to rely on something posted 7 years ago by a person who was a questionable source at best. I don't know what the current number is but there's a good chance it's not what you quoted.

That's the problem with some people saying "Just do a Google search for your answer." People do and report outdated information as if it's current and relevant.

You can't fix stupid.

Any word on what (if anything) has replaced the lobster tail at Le Bistro? That was one of my favorites.

Didn't someone else mentioned 3 shrimps on a skewer instead, or maybe 4 or even 5, depending on their sizes.

Probably not tiger prawns or large/jumbo ones, :p

I just got off the Norwegian Sun yesterday. Lobster was still to be had in the Specialty restaurants. I don't remember if it was offered in the MDR's ...

While supplies or existing frozen inventories on each ship/port storage facilities last ... until they are depleted or used up.

These are frozen tails and they have a storage life until defrosted and prep'd for cooking. I seriously doubt that it will be released to the officer's dining room or crew's mess hall down below deck. Why not continue to offer them onboard until it's all gone and book the revenue + the gratuities.

Enjoy those frozen tails while they last. We prefer the live ones in the tank - worth the money and you literally taste the difference.

FAQ readings for those of you interested - http://www.newenglandprovisions.com/mustknowlobsterinfo.html

Edited by mking8288

Any word on what (if anything) has replaced the lobster tail at Le Bistro? That was one of my favorites.

No real replacement. In other restaurants shrimp is the replacement. Le Bistro menu from this week's sailing of the Dawn.

0d94344cb54ce629b6bb70c712c16362.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

The Sun has a different menu than the one listed. When I lived in New England, fresh lobster was the only way to go. Now that I live in Georgia, I never see fresh lobster unless I want to take out a small loan to pay for it.

Both times I had lobster on the Sun it was tasty and since I had the SDP, a reasonable value too.

No real replacement. In other restaurants shrimp is the replacement. Le Bistro menu from this week's sailing of the Dawn.
Evidently, shrimp is the replacement at Le Bistro, too. I see "Crevette rôti[es] au beurre" where there used to be "Homard rôti au beurre". They didn't even change the price. $24.99 for jumbo shrimp! :eek:

Also, you reported in your first message that lobster was still available as an upcharge item in the MDR, but later (post #116) you said that it disappeared from the MDR menus, too. Could you clarify?

Edited by hawkeyetlse