Current internet prices

Mr and Mrs CIQ

We are trying to find the cost of internet too, but for Volendam 14 day cruise in Asia. Need to let employer know as they can decide whether or not to pay for that.

Seems to be a whole range of offerings lately. We got burnt on O'dam a couple of years ago, not realising just how ridiculously slow and unreliable their internet was. Should have bought the unlimited package then.

Now it seems price range from US$99-$250 for the same package (presumably crusie length affects the price) ... or maybe $25/day? Or something else?

We are trying to find the cost of internet too, but for Volendam 14 day cruise in Asia. Need to let employer know as they can decide whether or not to pay for that.

Seems to be a whole range of offerings lately. We got burnt on O'dam a couple of years ago, not realising just how ridiculously slow and unreliable their internet was. Should have bought the unlimited package then.

Now it seems price range from US$99-$250 for the same package (presumably crusie length affects the price) ... or maybe $25/day? Or something else?

I don't believe the Volendam has the unlimited package yet?

If it doesn't then the only packages available will be by the minute.

So you can either pay by the minute (which is expensive) or buy a package (ie 100 minutes, 200 minutes, 1,000 minutes, etc.)

My memory is short but I think the 100 minute package is around $55 and the 1,000 minute package was $200. We've had unlimited on the last couple of HAL cruises (Westerdam).

The unlimited internet prices really vary depending upon the cruise.

Not sure if shipboard services could help you, but it would be worth a call (Monday-Friday) to ask.

The unlimited internet prices really vary depending upon the cruise.

I found the "unlimited" pricing very strange, to the point of being unfair.

When I took the Nieuw Amsterdam last year I was on for 4 successive cruises totaling 39 days. The cruises were 12, 7, 7, and 13 days in length. A friend was on the first cruise only, and purchased the unlimited package for the same price I did. :eek: When I learned her price I fully expected mine would be recharged, or cut off, at the end of that first cruise, but it continued the same for the entire 39 days.

IIRC, it was $249 on that ship at that time.

I had the same experience. The 21 day cruise before mine had the same cost unlimited package as the one I was on (30, 33, or 35 days - all the same price) at $199. Two days after that cruise was over I got on the Nieuw Amsterdam and their unlimited package was $249 for 7 days.:confused::confused::confused:

What's up with the weird pricing, HAL?

In January, 2015, I had unlimited internet on the Zuiderdam for about $250 for a 12 day Panama Canal cruise. I'm boarding the Zuiderdam again on 9/27 for a 10 day New England/Canada cruise. Has anyone been on this ship recently and can share what the current internet rates are? Thanks!

In January, 2015, I had unlimited internet on the Zuiderdam for about $250 for a 12 day Panama Canal cruise. I'm boarding the Zuiderdam again on 9/27 for a 10 day New England/Canada cruise. Has anyone been on this ship recently and can share what the current internet rates are? Thanks!

We were on the Zuiderdam this spring & it was by the minute. $250 for 1000 minutes worked out to be the cheapest by the minute if you plan to use it. Our problem was it did not work in our inside cabin.

Just to give a comparison, we are currently on the Hurtengruten MS Trollfjord doing a coastal cruise. The internet pricing here was 400NOK or around $50 for unlimited Internet for the 11 day cruise. It is the only bargain I have found in Norway so far. ;)

Does anyone know if the Prinsendam have the unlimited package?

They DID NOT have an unlimited package when we were just on her (08/23 - 09/06). Prices were

100 - $55

250 - $100

500 - $???

1000 - $250 (I think)

BTW, something I did on this cruise was use my phone as a mobile hotspot (while in port only) to both my baby notebook and the wifes phone. I could do this as my carrier (T-Mobile) gives me unlimited data/text world wide. Of course YMMV with your carrier, but its worth a check.

They also had a 15 and 30 minute special at the end of the cruise for folks needing to do on-line check-in activities.

Cheers,

Edited by drowelf

When I took the Nieuw Amsterdam last year I was on for 4 successive cruises totaling 39 days. The cruises were 12, 7, 7, and 13 days in length. A friend was on the first cruise only, and purchased the unlimited package for the same price I did. :eek: When I learned her price I fully expected mine would be recharged, or cut off, at the end of that first cruise, but it continued the same for the entire 39 days.

IIRC, it was $249 on that ship at that time.

IMHO, I rather suspect the availability of an Unlimited internet plan might well have to do as much with where the ship is cruising as well as which ship it is. It seems to me the ability to connect with land based cell towers, and not depend on satellite access, might well play a major role.

The Caribbean, Panama Canal and Alaska inland passage and some European cruises would be good examples.

Scott & Karen

IMHO, I rather suspect the availability of an Unlimited internet plan might well have to do as much with where the ship is cruising as well as which ship it is. It seems to me the ability to connect with land based cell towers, and not depend on satellite access, might well play a major role.

The Caribbean, Panama Canal and Alaska inland passage and some European cruises would be good examples.

Scott & Karen

That doesn't explain the Westerdam's unlimited internet package availability on the "Pearls of the Pacific" cruises although it may explain the lack of internet access on much of the 2016 cruise.

The unlimited internet plan on the Westerdam is a terrific package at a very reasonable price. I think mine was $75 for a 7 days Caribbean cruise which included everything but streaming. This internet packaging was supposed to be available on all the HAL ships by the end of this year - or so they told me - but it doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon. Disappointing, because it is a great package.

Prices were

100 - $55

250 - $100

500 - $???

1000 - $250 (I think)

OK HAL got back to me and confirmed those rates for Volendam 3 Jan 2017 (nb 500 mins is $150) - but said they are "subject to change".

That doesn't explain the Westerdam's unlimited internet package availability on the "Pearls of the Pacific" cruises although it may explain the lack of internet access on much of the 2016 cruise.

Somehow, I don't seem to remember a lack of internet access on "much of the 2016 cruise." Slow, yes, lack of service, occasional, but lack of service on "much of the cruise" doesn't seem to ring a bell.

Scott & Karen

Somehow, I don't seem to remember a lack of internet access on "much of the 2016 cruise." Slow, yes, lack of service, occasional, but lack of service on "much of the cruise" doesn't seem to ring a bell.

Scott & Karen

We were on the Pearls of Pacific cruise (33 days - Hawaii, Tahiiti, Marquesas) with 0bnxshs and agree with his statement.

Ummm - how about 2 days in a row in several spots including Hawaii? There were several days when it was non existent for a good portion of the day and would finally work. At least, that is what I experienced.

Edited by kazu

Scott & Karen

I was on the 33 day South Pacific cruise this last April and there were many long interruptions in Internet service. We were given an OBC to compensate for not receiving the unlimited service we were paying for. Maybe the interruption was just my imagination and we got the credit because HAL was just being nice.

:rolleyes:

We had very poor internet on our South Pacific cruise.

We no longer buy cruise ship internet. We often get a few hundred minutes gratis. Sometimes we do not even use it up. Much prefer quickly catching up in a bar or café on land. Speed is usually so much better, not as frustrating.