Considering a Hawaii cruise

lbfluffy

Hi. We live in central California. We want to visit Hawaii next Fall, There are so many options such as leaving from Los Angeles or San Francisco for a 15 day cruise. I like both those choices, but then there is also NCL out of Oahu for a 7 day. Anyone with experience with cruising to Hawaii, what are your thoughts? Or should we just rent a place on an island for a week. Trying to find the most economical way. We can't take off more than two weeks from work.

Thanks

Hi. We live in central California. We want to visit Hawaii next Fall, There are so many options such as leaving from Los Angeles or San Francisco for a 15 day cruise. I like both those choices, but then there is also NCL out of Oahu for a 7 day. Anyone with experience with cruising to Hawaii, what are your thoughts? Or should we just rent a place on an island for a week. Trying to find the most economical way. We can't take off more than two weeks from work.

Thanks

It depends on what you want. A cruise, or Hawaii?

If you're looking to explore Hawaii, than a land trip would be best.

If you're looking for a cruise, that calls at a few places in Hawaii, then a cruise. Remember you're only going to get 4 or maybe 5 port calls on a 14 night cruise, and a lot of sea days.

Personally, I'd not do the NCL cruise in Hawaii, generally I haven't heard very good things about it.

I would do a land-based vacation, if you REALLY want to see the Islands! There is too much to see and do in Hawaii...a cruise certainly limits your hours of exploration.

Rent a place or book a condotel...rent a car and get out there an explore!

Cruising is great, but Hawaii isn't the place to do it, unless you've been to Hawaii many times before!

I respectfully disagree with the above two posters (the two before Zoncom).

We did the Pride of America and we loved it. We had one or two overnights which enabled us to explore things into the evening. We saw both sides of the big island and over 7 days we saw parts of 4 different islands. On a land-based trip you are either going to be spending time packing and unpacking and getting to and from airports, or you are going to spend most of your time on only 1 or 2 islands.

My recommendation would be to head to Oahu a couple of days before the cruise, do a luau (Chief's Luau in SeaLife Park was excellent), hike up Diamond Head, check out Pearl Harbour, then do the 7 day cruise. Skip all the sea days that will use up your vacation time and not give you as much Hawaii time as the POA.

We found this to be a great "tasting menu" of the islands and we got to see the differences. Now we know where we'd like to go back to in the future.

Edited by AmberCascades

I think a cruise is a great way to get an introduction to Hawaii. I got a sampling of the islands, and now if I were to go back for a land vacation, I would have a good feel for which island I would want to spend more time on.

I did a Hawaiian cruise on Carnival. We left San Diego and went down to Ensenada on a bus and then boarded the ship. 5 days across the Pacific to Hawaii, then 7 days going around the islands. Last stop was Honolulu where we had an overnight, and then flew home from there. I really enjoyed the cruise, and liked the fact that I only had to make the long flight once.

Roz

I did a Hawaiaan cruise as the 2nd leg in a B2B2B, when the Carnival Spirit moved to Australia in 2012.

I agree with those that say a cruise is a perfect tasting of the islands. Also, I think it's more economical and easier, since your food and entertainment is included in the price. By doing a land vacation, and island hopping, you have the additional costs of food, entertainment, and air flights between some of the islands, not to mention packing every few days.

Not everyone loves sea days, but I personally love them. Those are pure relaxation at its best. I think I would still choose a cruise over a land vacation, even already have done one.

Wow a lot of great thoughts. My husband loves sea days, but I love trying to get the most at the ports so we run around a lot, then we need a vacation from our vacation. I just thought it might be less expensive doing the cruise and still getting a taste of Hawaii.

I considered everything you are back in 2012 when I wanted to go to Hawaii. I'm not a lay on the beach type being super fair, so that wasn't even a consideration for me. I read a ton of reviews on land vacation packages and cruises (Princess vs NCL).

In all the reading I did, NCL faired poorly and I didn't want to use the ship as just a hotel.

I didn't want to have to pack up and move every few days to see another island. I travel at least once a month for work and that was just not something I was interested in doing with primary transit between islands being planes and how much time it takes now.

In the end, I chose 14-day from San Pedro. One sister and spouse decided to join me. Got to have breakfast with my other sister on embarkation day (she lives in LA, I no longer do) and on the return, had a full day with my BFF doing touristy stuff in LA.

We departed the Saturday after Thanksgiving and the seas were calm all the way there and all the way back. I enjoyed seeing Oahu, Hilo, parts of Kuaui and Maui.

If you want rest and regulation, do the 14-day cruise, if you want port intensive, consider NCL or figuring out your own land tour and transfers between islands.

If you haven't ever been to Hawaii, you should really go. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i've done the land trip twice: a 3-island in 9 days guided tour (pricey but saw all the sites and luggage, etc. were taken care of), honeymoon on Kauai and Oahu (we rent a car on Kauai, and walked in Honolulu). Years later, we took three RTs from LA on Princess. We love sea days (am never bored) and love the Hawaiian cultural program on board.

for me, it's either go there and spend the time on land, stay in a nice hotel. Or go on the experience of a great cruise. I don't see the POA cruise as even in the same neighborhood. One still has to fly both ways, and use the ship to get from island to island. why bother in that case?

I have been viewing the cruise from LA or SF. I love sea days. I hate air travel.

We are on HAL's Noordam 18 day R/T from San Diego - 5 sea days each way, with an overnight at Honolulu. Of course, we have to fly from the East coast - but there is no way I'd want to fly all the way to Hawaii -- 5/6 hours is about my limit.

We have cruised the Hawaian islands on two separate ocassions. Both a 7 day cruise, the first one was on Pride of Hawaii in 2009 which was a fairly new ship and fabulous. The following year that ship was renamed, refurbished and went elsewhere which was a great pity. At that time there were 3 ships all with the 7 day same itinerary in Hawaii. Since 2010 there has only been NCL Pride of America doing the 7 day cruise which we went on in 2011 with my adult children. I would agree with others that NCL Pride of America doesn't rate that highly, in fact it would be the worst ship we have been on. The buffet room was like a big cafeteria that never seem to feel clean - food always on the floor, the furnishings and fittings were not of the same standard as other ships. The itinerary was the same as our first cruise which was fine although my daughter would have preferred at least one sea day rather than ports every day.

We had good weather for both cruises - August and November.

Edited by Fortunatefew

My husband and I just booked the Celebrity Solstice for next fall for our 10 year wedding anniversary, which is a 10 day cruise to Hawaii! We are so excited and based on all the research and reviews I read this will be great cruise! We both have never been to Hawaii and love the idea of getting to explore a little on a few islands! Best way to see a few islands very affordably!

Look into the Solstice! 10 day cruise from Vancouver. A handful of sea days plus almost a handful of port days! Sounds like a dream vacation to us! :)

We've done both and I agree with the poster who says if you want to experience Hawaii, then stay in Hawaii. If you want to experience a cruise, then cruise. But the two don't mix well for Hawaii because to really experience Hawaii is to experience the culture and that can't be done on the marathon pace of a cruise.

We do two vacations a year, one is a rental house near a beach in Hawaii, and the other is a cruise somewhere else in the world.

Burt

We've done both and I agree with the poster who says if you want to experience Hawaii, then stay in Hawaii. If you want to experience a cruise, then cruise. But the two don't mix well for Hawaii because to really experience Hawaii is to experience the culture and that can't be done on the marathon pace of a cruise.

We do two vacations a year, one is a rental house near a beach in Hawaii, and the other is a cruise somewhere else in the world.

Burt

Suppose you want a cruise PLUS a brief view of several islands. Of course, your cruise would be interrupted by port calls - and you island-visiting would be limited by having to get back on a ship to head to the next port ---- but it does not make sense to rule out a Hawaiian cruise as one way of doing things.

Suppose you want a cruise PLUS a brief view of several islands. Of course, your cruise would be interrupted by port calls - and you island-visiting would be limited by having to get back on a ship to head to the next port ---- but it does not make sense to rule out a Hawaiian cruise as one way of doing things.

Yes, of course you are right. But I took the OPs post to mean this was their first visit to Hawaii and cruising isn't a good way of experiencing the Hawaiian culture. However, if the cruise is the destination, a Hawaiian cruise is as good as any.

Burt

We are doing a Hawaiian cruise on the Celebrity Solstice for our first time to Hawaii and love the idea of sampling the islands! We understand we won't have a ton of time at each island but that just means we may have to go back! [emoji6] Fine by me! Can't wait for the cruise!

Edited by bekbek4248