Luggage lost for days?

woodpecker58

You got treated very well. And be glad it was an uncomplicated cruise!

On my recent Arctic cruise, one passenger's luggage was left on the tarmac in Iceland. It wasn't discovered until we were underway out of Kangerlussuaq, Greenland. No warm boots, no parka, no gloves, no hat... Just the light clothes she had in her carry on, and the sandals that she was wearing.

(This was not a carry on luggage kind of trip, considering the waterproof boots and outer clothing actually were necessary.)

We only had 3 ports of call for the entire 20 day trip, so it was a scramble involving loaned clothing from other passengers, stuff bought in the few towns we did visit, boots that had been left behind, and outerwear borrowed from crew. Her luggage caught up with her when we disembarked at Kangerlussuaq.

Edited by Bizmark'sMom

It also appears he received $300 OBC. If he spent more than that to replace clothes, he might be able to submit to his insurance company for the difference, with the arguement that the FCC has no value unless he books another cruise.

We once were transported to Miami after a ship fire with none of our belongings. Our return flight wasn't scheduled until a 4 days later. For around $400, between a trip to Walmart and Lincoln Rd., we were able to buy enough stuff to get us through. Trip insurance with the Chase Sapphire reimbursed.

I called the OBC "paltry." $300 for three people is not generous, particularly for several days in one of the most expensive places in which to buy apparel and staples.

And to most of the posters, we get it. We should all be grateful something more terrible didn't happen. You think you had a problem, well, I heard from my second cousin that all her bags were sent to Cape Canaveral instead of Port Canaveral and were loaded onto the SpaceX that just exploded. She's waiting for Elon Musk to offer some compensation. I don't think she wants an OBC.

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now

I called the OBC "paltry." $300 for three people is not generous, particularly for several days in one of the most expensive places in which to buy apparel and staples.

And to most of the posters, we get it. We should all be grateful something more terrible didn't happen. You think you had a problem, well, I heard from my second cousin that all her bags were sent to Cape Canaveral instead of Port Canaveral and were loaded onto the SpaceX that just exploded. She's waiting for Elon Musk to offer some compensation. I don't think she wants an OBC.

And my point is that he should try to collect on the insurance for amounts above he spent and the "paltry" $300 (your words). The FCC would offset for the inconvience.

Are we finished blaming the OP? Wasn't he stupid for not having more items with him in a carry on bag. Boy is he greedy. Why was he upset -he eventually got the bags . He should be a better person and not get upset. Blah Blah Blah

For several days he had no idea if or when the bags would appear. Every day was a reminder that the cruise was not going to be the stressfree vacation for which he had saved and planned. The paltry OBC hardly compensates for those daily stresses-much more than an inconvenience.

I would not consider a $1200 FCC as valid compensation. This is conditional compensation. There are two conditions which are needed to turn this into true compensation.

First the OP must want to cruise Royal again. Probable? Possible? Maybe 65% probability given his dismay at the response. Next, for the $1200 to be worth $1200, you must assume that the cost of a future cruise will not increase thereby negating the value of the FCC. Given that the OP cruises every other year and the annual increases in fare, the $1200 FCC should be depreciated by 25%. Therefore the present value of the FCC is not $1200 but approx. $600.

Everyone still think this is fair?

As I am the one who used the word "greedy", I will respond. The context that I used it in was with reference to the request to have a loyalty tier change in addition to the OBC and FCC that was offered, not in terms of what was offered in of itself. And to that I stand by my comment. As to what was offered, I commented that I felt it was fair and reasonable - which is an option as requested by the OP. So if you are going to reference me, please do so within the context that it was posted and don't lump me into your bashing reference.

Second, as to your comment about the FCC being conditional, you are correct. It requires at least one more cruise to be booked to have value. But it clearly is valid compensation as by asking for a tier change in his loyalty status, the OP clearly intends to cruise with RCI again, which would bring measurable value with the FCC as compensation. Otherwise, why ask for the change - even if it is referenced only as a "bonus"....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Hi there

Yes perhaps $300 doesn't "seem" generous to some, but it wasn't several days it was two.

The reason that he felt that he deserved more was that he felt this was more than "just an inconvenience". While most people in the same position might feel the same, looking at it in the light of day it doesn't rise to being more than just inconvenient. They did get the luggage back in "50 hrs.", it didn't ruin their cruise. They still had a good time, and they did receive compensation.

The OP said they couldn't collect on insurance because their insurance would only pay for cost above compensation received (including credits).

As I said before, if this happened through the airline, it truly would have been inconvenient and the compensation really would have been something to grumble at.

When I travel, I hope for the best and expect the worst. There are no guarantees and you won't likely be happy with a carriers determination of your inconvenience.

And my point is that he should try to collect on the insurance for amounts above he spent and the "paltry" $300 (your words). The FCC would offset for the inconvience.

The FCC requires spending more money with them. That is not compensation for the cruise lines error, that is a cash grab and shameful.

Hi there

Yes perhaps $300 doesn't "seem" generous to some, but it wasn't several days it was two.

The reason that he felt that he deserved more was that he felt this was more than "just an inconvenience". While most people in the same position might feel the same, looking at it in the light of day it doesn't rise to being more than just inconvenient. They did get the luggage back in "50 hrs.", it didn't ruin their cruise. They still had a good time, and they did receive compensation.

The OP said they couldn't collect on insurance because their insurance would only pay for cost above compensation received (including credits).

As I said before, if this happened through the airline, it truly would have been inconvenient and the compensation really would have been something to grumble at.

When I travel, I hope for the best and expect the worst. There are no guarantees and you won't likely be happy with a carriers determination of your inconvenience.

$300 for three people would about cover the cost of toiletries in the ships shop. Deodorants, toothbrushes and paste, sunscreen, brushes/combs, hair products, makeup, face cream, shave cream, possibly feminine protection, that's probably close to $200 before you even think about clean clothing.

I don't believe the compensation as it were given was realistic, let alone fair, but I also think the OP is being very unreasonable in his expectations.

The FCC requires spending more money with them. That is not compensation for the cruise lines error, that is a cash grab and shameful.

Agree...it is nothing more than a coupon. This should be OP's arguement to collect his monetary loss for amounts spent above the $300 OBC from the insurer.

A question for OP...was the second day of the cruise a sea day?

The post-event compensation the OP is asking for is unrealistic. 50% off cruise??? Bump up to better, elite status???

Luggage was missing (NOT lost) for 2 days. First world problem. Did the OP not have carryon? Wow. Most travelers I know will always bring some emergency items in a carryon in case something goes sideways with checked luggage. The toiletries in their Kippie bags should have been more than enough to get them through the short time they were missing their bags. So, there should be no need to purchase at the ships store of those things unless you were already planning on buying toiletries onboard or at another port. Bathing suit, change of underwear, additional shirt and shorts or pants - those always go in that carryon in case a checked bag goes missing. I guess some people just put everything in a big bag and hope it gets where they are going. Lack of luggage did not mean you had to forego any activities, including dining where you wanted to go. People do it all the time, your situation was not unique. Lack of formal wear was a blip - no one would shame you for wearing what you had on because your luggage was MIA.

Unfortunately, the time to negotiate was that first day. You did have insurance, right? A good vacation insurance would cover purchases made due to luggage mishaps, less what is offered by the cruiseline/airline/bus/train. You had to make a choice - spend a little time picking up what you wanted before getting back on the ship at first port after your activity.

It is a moot point now regarding compensation. But, I think the $300 was solid. I never like FCC, just like I hate when my managers give a free "come back" night to some whiner - I'd rather the whiner goes somewhere else than come back and bitch and moan some more because the whiner now knows we will cave in and go over what we should. AND, yes, cruise lines and hotels and airlines DO have a "permanent record" for guests and document good and bad things. And, people do get black-flagged and will not be allowed back. Be careful.

I am not a RCCL cheerleader by any means, but I think you messed up from the start. I would have told them I wanted $300 per person for clothing and toiletries (replacing minimal makeup alone would be over $100!) plus free tux rentals, and told them to dig up a long black skirt from the crew for me in formal night. I would have also asked for an additional $1000 cabin credit, used it towards some drinks and a nice relaxing massage, the gratuities, maybe a shore excursion, and been happy. FCC is absurd, as it requires you to spend money with them to use it.

What you are requesting is ridiculously out of line for two days of slight inconvenience.

This type of situation is why we always carry on bathing suits (if we are cruising somewhere that we need them), a change of underwear and clean shirt, toiletry kit/cosmetic bag on with our electronics and travel documents plus any non-costume jewelry in our daypack/cross body/tote/whatever small bag we are each using on that trip.

"What you are requesting is ridiculously out of line for two days of slight inconvenience." -

I'm not understanding how asking for $2000.00 in FCC credit is any different from asking for $300.00/PP + $1000.00 in additional cabin credit?

If your referring to the upgrade in loyalty level, then yes that might have been asking for to much. But it's a negotiation.

Kudos for being able to travel with just a 20" roll on bag. My cpap machine and 1 extra pair of shoes takes up at least half my roll on.

Agree...it is nothing more than a coupon. This should be OP's arguement to collect his monetary loss for amounts spent above the $300 OBC from the insurer.

A question for OP...was the second day of the cruise a sea day?

Yes, the second day was a sea day!

I wasn't sure of what if any insurance would cover, mostly bought it for the medical protection. I didn't want to buy clothes that, I wouldn't wear again such a white polo shirt.

"What you are requesting is ridiculously out of line for two days of slight inconvenience." -

I'm not understanding how asking for $2000.00 in FCC credit is any different from asking for $300.00/PP + $1000.00 in additional cabin credit?

If your referring to the upgrade in loyalty level, then yes that might have been asking for to much. But it's a negotiation.

Kudos for being able to travel with just a 20" roll on bag. My cpap machine and 1 extra pair of shoes takes up at least half my roll on.

You do know that a cpap, packed separately, is allowed in addition to a carryon bag on airlines? Medical devices have an exemption. Just don't pack those enormous shoes in the same bag or it will cost you... You just stack the cpap bag on top of your roller and go.

I also travel in a carryon most of the time. But, because it is a 'carryon', it does not mean that I don't check it from time to time.

Yes, the second day was a sea day!

I wasn't sure of what if any insurance would cover, mostly bought it for the medical protection. I didn't want to buy clothes that, I wouldn't wear again such a white polo shirt.

Try going the insurance route. Also, check the credit card benefits that you used to pay for the cruise and see if it has a luggage delay benefit...it might be an easier route.

BTW the things we bought at Walmart have never been worn again since that trip...no biggie, it was free.

The post-event compensation the OP is asking for is unrealistic. 50% off cruise??? Bump up to better, elite status???

Luggage was missing (NOT lost) for 2 days. First world problem. Did the OP not have carryon? Wow. Most travelers I know will always bring some emergency items in a carryon in case something goes sideways with checked luggage. The toiletries in their Kippie bags should have been more than enough to get them through the short time they were missing their bags. So, there should be no need to purchase at the ships store of those things unless you were already planning on buying toiletries onboard or at another port. Bathing suit, change of underwear, additional shirt and shorts or pants - those always go in that carryon in case a checked bag goes missing. I guess some people just put everything in a big bag and hope it gets where they are going. Lack of luggage did not mean you had to forego any activities, including dining where you wanted to go. People do it all the time, your situation was not unique. Lack of formal wear was a blip - no one would shame you for wearing what you had on because your luggage was MIA.

Unfortunately, the time to negotiate was that first day. You did have insurance, right? A good vacation insurance would cover purchases made due to luggage mishaps, less what is offered by the cruiseline/airline/bus/train. You had to make a choice - spend a little time picking up what you wanted before getting back on the ship at first port after your activity.

It is a moot point now regarding compensation. But, I think the $300 was solid. I never like FCC, just like I hate when my managers give a free "come back" night to some whiner - I'd rather the whiner goes somewhere else than come back and bitch and moan some more because the whiner now knows we will cave in and go over what we should. AND, yes, cruise lines and hotels and airlines DO have a "permanent record" for guests and document good and bad things. And, people do get black-flagged and will not be allowed back. Be careful.

First let's dispense with the labels. I have said before asking for the bump up was a long shot, don't ask, you don't get. I asked the question to see what was the compensation in the real world, it never happened to me so I had no idea what folks got back in this situation. You hear stories and probably have experienced where you talk to 2 different representatives and get 2 different stories. So I asked what I thought would be right compensation for me to cruise again. Again I should have left off the loyalty bump, and just focused on the amount. Live and learn. If voicing my opinion or asking something to be corrected puts me on the list so be it! If the service or food was bad, I probably wouldn't come back, but if given a discount to try them again I might be so inclined.

I had stated before the bump to next loyalty would be a bonus. Are you saying 50% FCC is way out of line? I only have a couple of weeks a year and was hoping I could plan another one for next year and get this one out of my mind. I we certainly didn't receive our money's worth.

What part of the cruise did you not get to do. Did you miss any ports? Did you miss any excursions? Did you miss any meals? Did you miss any on board activities? By what wild leap of exaggeration do you feel that your losses or inconveniences were worth 50% FCC plus a loyalty bump?

DON

OP - Please explain the rationale behind the "if you don't ask you don't get" in terms of believing a tier level bump was even a remotely valid form of compensation for a 2-day inconvenience resulting from a luggage issue. In particular in addition to that offered with the OBC and FCC. I'm sorry, I just don't get why you would even feel it justified to ask in the first place.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

What part of the cruise did you not get to do. Did you miss any ports? Did you miss any excursions? Did you miss any meals? Did you miss any on board activities? By what wild leap of exaggeration do you feel that your losses or inconveniences were worth 50% FCC plus a loyalty bump?

DON

I figure I spent at least 4-5 hours standing in line to talk to guest services, most of it was at the beginning attempting to figure out where the luggage was. I didn't have front of the line privileges so yes I missed out spending time with family and friends. Didn't miss any tours, as we wouldn't get a refund so we went with the tour and if we got our only clothes at the time dirty with the dogs, that was on us.

OP - Please explain the rationale behind the "if you don't ask you don't get" in terms of believing a tier level bump was even a remotely valid form of compensation for a 2-day inconvenience resulting from a luggage issue. In particular in addition to that offered with the OBC and FCC. I'm sorry, I just don't get why you would even feel it justified to ask in the first place.

When you negotiate you don't give them the highest price you will pay, nor if you are selling do you give them the lowest. You never know what is on the table until you ask for extra's. Why can't I ask for something extra knowing they can always say no. I don't have a ton of cruises under my belt. Thought I didn't really get what I paid for based on how the trip started. RCCL disagreed and offered what they thought was adequate for my troubles. You would have handled it differently, I have stated many times the bump up should have been left out of the discussion.

When you negotiate you don't give them the highest price you will pay, nor if you are selling do you give them the lowest. You never know what is on the table until you ask for extra's. Why can't I ask for something extra knowing they can always say no. I don't have a ton of cruises under my belt. Thought I didn't really get what I paid for based on how the trip started. RCCL disagreed and offered what they thought was adequate for my troubles. You would have handled it differently, I have stated many times the bump up should have been left out of the discussion.

Agree - it should have been left out, not just of your discussion here, but of the entire equation. If you don't feel they responded appropriately, then take it up with the resolutions department. I can't criticize you for any of that. But the tier bump request would have lost you all credibility in my eyes if I were on the receiving end of it and was trying to help you out with a solution.

You asked for opinions with your post - some which are supportive and others that perhaps don't agree - but what you got is what you got from the cruise line. Either accept it and book another to get your FCC value, or try a different line. But either way, I think you need to move on. As they say, it is what it is.

That the luggage ended up on the wrong ship most likely was caused not by the cruiseline at all...but by the porters on land who sorted the luggage wrong. Once a bag gets in those bins, its not going to be checked again until its on board and being sorted for delivery. In the interest of good customer service though, the cruise line takes some of the responsibility and offers up some compensation.

I wonder if you would have done better had you requested only more OBC.

If you had quickly gone through the shops to price the necessities (and being reasonable in terms of quantities), shown them that total and then said "Plus free laundry". In my mind, THAT type of request is reasonable to at least ensure that you can have clean clothes and toiletries for as long as needed.

I worked for many years in a customer service capacity, and nine times out of ten when a customer was having a problem they needed resolved, one of my first questions was "what do you want to happen?". If they made a reasonable request for the 'bad' done to them, I would move heaven and earth to make it happen because it made sense.

The woman who demanded a $25 decorative piece from our gifts department because we ran out of $3 American Flags we were giving away? No to that...offered a $5 item instead. She refused, feeling that she 'deserved' the $25 item because of the 'inconvenience' of coming down here and not getting a flag. She left empty handed.

Its about making you whole, not turning it into a windfall.

Agree - it should have been left out, not just of your discussion here, but of the entire equation. If you don't feel they responded appropriately, then take it up with the resolutions department. I can't criticize you for any of that. But the tier bump request would have lost you all credibility in my eyes if I were on the receiving end of it and was trying to help you out with a solution.

You asked for opinions with your post - some which are supportive and others that perhaps don't agree - but what you got is what you got from the cruise line. Either accept it and book another to get your FCC value, or try a different line. But either way, I think you need to move on. As they say, it is what it is.

I can't undo the request for the bump request, I made it and would have totally thrown it off the request when I had the dialogue with the customer relations dept. When I got the call 2 weeks after the letter, she said you were afforded $300.00 on board credit, the FCC (as stated in earlier posts) and we also paid $1000.00 to have your luggage transported to the first stop. That is all we are offering. There was no negotiations or give me why you think your deserving of 50% and a bump. When I heard the "That is all were offering", and the part about how much they paid to transport the luggage, I thought the $1000 fee wasn't my issue, I didn't send it to the other ship and sense her attitude was hostile, I shut down and said ok, thanks and hung up. There wasn't any talking just straight this is what we think, which was different then my thoughts. Over the next week I wrote my review and started this conversation.

Your right, I did ask for opinions and I am fine will all the responses, we all see things differently and react differently. I know I will change my approach to both packing and requests if I don't feel I am getting what I paid for.

That the luggage ended up on the wrong ship most likely was caused not by the cruiseline at all...but by the porters on land who sorted the luggage wrong. Once a bag gets in those bins, its not going to be checked again until its on board and being sorted for delivery. In the interest of good customer service though, the cruise line takes some of the responsibility and offers up some compensation.

I wonder if you would have done better had you requested only more OBC.

If you had quickly gone through the shops to price the necessities (and being reasonable in terms of quantities), shown them that total and then said "Plus free laundry". In my mind, THAT type of request is reasonable to at least ensure that you can have clean clothes and toiletries for as long as needed.

I worked for many years in a customer service capacity, and nine times out of ten when a customer was having a problem they needed resolved, one of my first questions was "what do you want to happen?". If they made a reasonable request for the 'bad' done to them, I would move heaven and earth to make it happen because it made sense.

The woman who demanded a $25 decorative piece from our gifts department because we ran out of $3 American Flags we were giving away? No to that...offered a $5 item instead. She refused, feeling that she 'deserved' the $25 item because of the 'inconvenience' of coming down here and not getting a flag. She left empty handed.

Its about making you whole, not turning it into a windfall.

I don't know who was ultimately responsible for the luggage issue, but knowing this isn't the first time the type of bags going to the wrong ship, I would think they would put in a better process. RCCL is the who I paid money too, if the porters don't work for them, either get porters who do work for you or put into place a system where you don't mix up bags for 2 ships loading at the same time. I would have rather stood in line to put my bags through the security machine knowing all the bags are destined for my ship.

Yes, maybe more OBC would have helped, buying drinks etc. It wasn't offered and I didn't ask. The stores don't carry underwear or socks nor pants unless you wanted sweats. Could have gotten those and put the regular pants through the wash on expedited service. Lesson learned.

I guess I would have appreciated a little more something on their side. Once I got my luggage I had to bring up the compensation conversation, as far as I know they were fine with just the $300 OBC given at the time. Once that conversation was started, it was "how's 10% FCC". I didn't feel they really were all that concerned about what I was going through. I guess that hardened me up to demand more. I don't really feel if I had only gotten my 50% to be a windfall, as it's only good for a year, can't be applied to other discounts. So I pay brochure price minus the FCC. Is it still 50% off of what others have gotten from a travel agency? Probably not, it's like paying sticker price on a new car. No one pays that price!

I don't know who was ultimately responsible for the luggage issue, but knowing this isn't the first time the type of bags going to the wrong ship, I would think they would put in a better process. RCCL is the who I paid money too, if the porters don't work for them, either get porters who do work for you or put into place a system where you don't mix up bags for 2 ships loading at the same time. I would have rather stood in line to put my bags through the security machine knowing all the bags are destined for my ship.

Yes, maybe more OBC would have helped, buying drinks etc. It wasn't offered and I didn't ask. The stores don't carry underwear or socks nor pants unless you wanted sweats. Could have gotten those and put the regular pants through the wash on expedited service. Lesson learned.

I guess I would have appreciated a little more something on their side. Once I got my luggage I had to bring up the compensation conversation, as far as I know they were fine with just the $300 OBC given at the time. Once that conversation was started, it was "how's 10% FCC". I didn't feel they really were all that concerned about what I was going through. I guess that hardened me up to demand more. I don't really feel if I had only gotten my 50% to be a windfall, as it's only good for a year, can't be applied to other discounts. So I pay brochure price minus the FCC. Is it still 50% off of what others have gotten from a travel agency? Probably not, it's like paying sticker price on a new car. No one pays that price!

So all that being said - what do you honestly believe is the right compensation due you? What would be that final offer that would make this right in your eyes? You've put out a lot of information regarding OBC, FCC, C & A tier bump - I'm just curious what is the right solution to a 2-day luggage issue that would have your post be one of how happy you are that a mistake was made right? Really - what is your true bottom line here?

That's where had you stopped a moment to think about what no socks and underwear for purchase meant, the free laundry would have been a completely reasonable request. While wearing a swimsuit, you could be getting your existing undies and socks washed. If you had asked for that and been refused, THAT would have been unreasonable on RCL's side as giving free laundry service wouldn't really have cost them anything, and gone a long way toward helping resolve your problem.

"hardened me up to demand more"....if you're using those words I would imagine your body language and tone were pretty hot while at Guest Services. Then asking for what amounts to the moon for this problem really cut off much more from RCL, because you gave the impression that even if they had offered up something more, it wouldn't have been enough...so they just shut the door.

You didn't feel they were concerned about what you were going through...but what else could they possibly have done? They couldn't magically make socks and underwear appear in the shops, helicopter your luggage to the ship, etc. If the issue was affecting you NOW, you needed to offer up a solution that would work NOW.

As you've said, lesson learned. I'm sure you'll take this experience and use what happened to your advantage should you find yourself in this situation or something similar in the future.

Edited by msmayor