Table Mate From Hell?

Briitini

This wasn't me, but I know some people who had some awful tablemates for one of their recent cruises. They'd tell the story better than I, but basically, this couple was being really snobby and complaining about everything--complaining about the wine, the food...nothing was good enough. They demanded to speak to the manager about it, the whole nine yards. Everyone else was just trying to enjoy their meals and awkwardly ignore their bitching the whole time.

We use anytime dining as we fear being stuck on a table with people we really do not get on with and do not enjoy our main meal but have always been fairly lucky. We have had one or two oddball characters that we have had a laugh about later in the evening but never felt we needed to move table.

I've had table mates that I truly got along with and enjoyed.

I've had table mates I didn't have anything in common with. We simply shared a polite meal.

The one time a table mate was acting rather strange, it turned out she was having a reaction to her scopolamine patch. The doctor was called.

I, thankfully, have never feared for my safety at the dinner table!

Anyone ever have a table mate(s) from hell? If so share your stories. We are currently on a cruise and are fearful of our table mate's well being and our safety. More later...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were at a round for six. Everyone there the first night. Nice people. Good conversation. Second or third night the maitre d' approaches the round beside us and asked if they would mind an additional diner since they had an empty seat. Naturally they welcomed the newcomer. After about fifteen minutes everyone at both tables was ready run and hide. This "gentleman" was loud and obnoxious. Knew everything and couldn't stop with the put downs. Bad enough at his new table. But he was so loud and caustic, that our table had difficulty ignoring him. I don't think he stopped talking the entire meal, even with something in his mouth! Next night the table beside us had a single occupant. As it did for the rest of the voyage. We had to work at ignoring him for fear that he would join us.

Someone at our table eventually learned that the "gentleman" had started at a different table and been relocated by demand of its other occupants.

Edited by broberts

Over the years I have had lovely table mates both for fixed and anytime dining. Only once have I had to ask to be moved, a couple who never spoke to me except to answer in a monosyllabic way when spoken to. I asked to be moved and joined a happy group of 8. Don't sit through a whole cruise and suffer in silence, you need to eat and enjoy.

I read through the thread about the dry table. It's funny that some expect to dictate to their table mates what they can or can't wear but are appalled that others want to dictate what they can or can't eat or drink.

Maybe it's the libertarian in me. Having the power myself to dictate what others may do means others have those same powers to dictate their desires to me. I'd rather be left alone and let others do as they wish.

I have picked any time dining for my upcoming group of 3. I'll likely not ask for our own table as we'll most likely get a 4 top and waste a seat. I'm easy to get along with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shared dining on a cruise is somewhat similar to a repeating dinner party - because most people you are seated with have chosen assigned rather than any time or free style, they are likely to similarly appreciate having a group with which to meet each evening - the "want to eat alone" sort select themselves out, so the odds of having a compatible table now are much better than when assigned dining was the only option.

I have to agree with this. I think there is an exaggerated fear on these boards of getting the "tablemate from hell". In reality, chances are pretty slim. I've been cruising for a long time (since the 1970s!) and for many recent years as a solo. I enjoy dining with others and have made use of the Anytime Dining options on various ships since they were introduced.

Most every experience has been fine. Two or three times I was seated with a boor or a grandstander, but certainly nothing I couldn't live with for one meal. Some experiences have been memorable in a good way.

I know NCL is not a good line for my preferred dining experience as their program seems to encourage passengers to dine with only their party. I would be curious on what lines some of these "nightmare tablemate" experiences occurred? :confused:

I know NCL is not a good line for my preferred dining experience as their program seems to encourage passengers to dine with only their party.

:

This was our experience on Gem in February - every night (of ten) in MDR we requested a shared table, and only once were we seated with others.

We were probably the ones from hell for one couple. They were a retired Midwestern couple seated with us--a young gay couple--at a table for eight, but with no one else at the table. We tried to converse with them, but they did not say much beyond a one-word response. "What did you do today?" "Nothing." "Did you see anything interesting in port?" "No." "Did you enjoy last night's comedian?" "No." Fortunately it was just a four-day cruise.

We might have been two other couples idea of tablemates from hell on a much longer cruise. We booked a table at the specialty restaurant the first night but went by the dining room to introduce ourselves to our waiters and tablemates. The two couples who were there ended up switching. We had two lovely couples at our table the rest of the cruise.

Another time, we had parents with two young boys at our table. Fortunately they only brought the kids with them a couple of times. Most of that cruise we had a table for eight with just us and another couple. On the second formal night, the parents showed up without the kids and were great.

He wasn't there last night and our original table mates since the first night were back. We resumed our fun carefree dinner with them and had a great time!

That's a shame, Britini.

Not for you, of course. ;)

But for the rest of us, waiting with baited breath for the next instalment. :D

Any chance you could go find him?

No ??

Spoilsport :p

JB :)

I read through the thread about the dry table. It's funny that some expect to dictate to their table mates what they can or can't wear but are appalled that others want to dictate what they can or can't eat or drink.

Maybe it's the libertarian in me. Having the power myself to dictate what others may do means others have those same powers to dictate their desires to me. I'd rather be left alone and let others do as they wish.

I have picked any time dining for my upcoming group of 3. I'll likely not ask for our own table as we'll most likely get a 4 top and waste a seat. I'm easy to get along with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

^^And this is why this site needs a "Like" button...:D

Edited by ronandannette

That's a shame, Britini.

Not for you, of course. ;)

But for the rest of us, waiting with baited breath for the next instalment. :D

Any chance you could go find him?

No ??

Spoilsport :p

JB :)

My other table mates didn't want to go to cruise jail [emoji15][emoji23]

we prefer group tables and meeting new folks .... and have maintained relations with folks we met on cruises 20+ years ago ....but there HAVE been exceptions

Like the gentleman that was at our table of 3 other delightful couples who was GASSED. First nite in the middle of main course his eyes rolled up into his head and he did a face plant into his plate splattering mashed taters, gravy and veggies across the table. Waite staff removed him gracefully ... he did not regain consciousness. He never returned to the dinner table during the week long cruise but was ALWAYS seen on a stool at the pool bar from opening to closing .....

OR .... once again we were at a table of couples, 4 from the US and one Canadian ..... and guess who was loud? EVERY statement / comment began with "In MY Provence of CANADA ......" we make the most, or consume the most or have the best ....... tried to engage me in a political discussion about the President. I made this cruise with dd and to this day I can say "in MY Providence ..." and she breaks into laughter. He once asked dd what she was studying in college and she responded 'microbiology' .... "OH bugs huh, we have no bugs in MY Provence of Canada" ....... I tried to engage the other table couples in conversation but remember NOTHING being successful!!!!!!

I DO recall his wife trying to climb under the table more than once!!!!!!

Edited by Capt_BJ