formal nights

clamar

Not sure how HAL does it but typically across lines there will be one on the 2nd night as a Captain's welcome night. If that's not the night before a sea day then the nights of those will be good candidates unless last whole day of cruise is a sea day hard to have everyone dress up then need to pack everything that night.

I understand they are no longer "Formal" nights and now called "Gala" nights and there is a much relaxed dress suggestion. Supposed to be a little more upscale but there will be a wide variety of dress. Many still dress up but you might see everything from khakis with dress shirt for guys and dress pants and blouses for women to tuxedos and formal gowns.

I understand they are no longer "Formal" nights and now called "Gala" nights and there is a much relaxed dress suggestion. Supposed to be a little more upscale but there will be a wide variety of dress. Many still dress up but you might see everything from khakis with dress shirt for guys and dress pants and blouses for women to tuxedos and formal gowns.

I think it is getting to be an acceptable trend.

Not sure how HAL does it but typically across lines there will be one on the 2nd night as a Captain's welcome night. If that's not the night before a sea day then the nights of those will be good candidates unless last whole day of cruise is a sea day hard to have everyone dress up then need to pack everything that night.

I also think things have morphed away from packing so much extra clothing for a formal night due to the restrictiveness of the airlines with your luggage.

I also think things have morphed away from packing so much extra clothing for a formal night due to the restrictiveness of the airlines with your luggage.

I've never understood that "extra clothing" thinking. Even if you don't pack formal wear, you still have to pack something to wear at night. That breaks even, at least, especially for women. They can pack very lightweight clothes for formals; many smart casual outfits are made of heavier fabrics.

We went on a 12 day Med cruise in July and we had 2 gala nights. I emailed HAL and they told me which nights. On our Med cruise, a good majority dressed up every night and Gala nights people dressed very well. The men wore dark suits and tuxes. The ladies wore dresses or gowns. I had the later seating. But, I didn't care if people didn't dress formally. Dress how you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Any idea of how many Gala nights there will be on a 17-day cruise with 10 sea days? With open seating, I don't have to worry about table mates recognizing a repeated outfit :eek: but it would be nice to know.

I suspect it will be 3. The # of gala nights should be on your express docs when you can print them.

We are OK for gala night. DW stopped doing formal nights quite some time ago. Suited me down to the ground. And yes, we were able to pack much less. In fact it was the start of how we finally got down to travelling with carry on only-sometimes for two-three months at a time.

I've never understood that "extra clothing" thinking. Even if you don't pack formal wear, you still have to pack something to wear at night. That breaks even, at least, especially for women. They can pack very lightweight clothes for formals; many smart casual outfits are made of heavier fabrics.

Not sure where you gathered your data to be able to say that "many" smart casual outfits are made of heavier fabrics. My smart casual outfits are my regular clothes. I pack for up to 21 days in a 22" bag and have the necessary clothes for the evening. Since I don't do formal at home, no need to buy special for a cruise. The black polyester palazzo pants and "flowy" shirt that I see so many older women wear just turns me off. I have a very nice, lightweight LBD that travels just fine. Because I'll wear the "evening clothes" for maybe 2-3 hours a night if I go to the MDR, no issues with re-wearing.

And you need to do some thinking about whether you want to really get spiffy for only two nights...or not.

Jim

Mr. Jim, hope all is well with you and Karen. Just booked the Koningsdam 11/23 for 21 days. You and Karen come with (promise won't call you mud) [emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure where you gathered your data to be able to say that "many" smart casual outfits are made of heavier fabrics.

Shopping in the women's department.

Most of my daytime clothes weigh more than my evening clothes. The things I wear on Gala night even weigh less than the clothes I wear on smart casual nights, which weigh less than those daytime clothes.

But the point was whether you dress up or not, you still have to wear something at night, and that something has weight. So, saying that not bringing dressy clothes weighs less than bringing them doesn't make sense. You are bringing something for evening whichever way you count it.

Unless, you're not bringing something to change into for evening? :eek:

I think you are purposely confusing what people may or may not change into with the type and weight of their clothing.

We both change for dinner. But we do not change into clothing that can or is only worn at night. Weight has zero to do with it since this is something that we consider for every item that goes in our bags. It is how we now shop and how we pack.

We travel in such a fashion that our clothing must be multi use. We would never pack anything that could only be worn at a certain time, ie at dinner or at a gala evening.

You may find this 'sad' however it enables us to travel in the custom and to the places that we wish to go, including cruises.

I think you are purposely confusing what people may or may not change into with the type and weight of their clothing.

We both change for dinner. But we do not change into clothing that can or is only worn at night. Weight has zero to do with it since this is something that we consider for every item that goes in our bags. It is how we now shop and how we pack.

We travel in such a fashion that our clothing must be multi use. We would never pack anything that could only be worn at a certain time, ie at dinner or at a gala evening.

You may find this 'sad' however it enables us to travel in the custom and to the places that we wish to go, including cruises.

+1000

Apparently, clothes in the Plus-size section (aka "women" in many stores) weigh more than clothes for the 0-14 set ;)

My LBD that I travel with has served me well on land and sea. I have never felt the need to do more - that dress, combined with different accessories, has been everywhere from the bland, boring MDR to a Michelin 3 star restaurant to an evening wedding.

+1000

Apparently, clothes in the Plus-size section (aka "women" in many stores) weigh more than clothes for the 0-14 set ;)

My LBD that I travel with has served me well on land and sea. I have never felt the need to do more - that dress, combined with different accessories, has been everywhere from the bland, boring MDR to a Michelin 3 star restaurant to an evening wedding.

It has been my experience that, regardless of my clothing size, my silk chiffon dress weighs less than my linen pants and shirt.

I am very aware of the weight of clothing that I purchase. Can you please explain what the part I've marked in bold and red in your comment means?

It has been my experience that, regardless of my clothing size, my silk chiffon dress weighs less than my linen pants and shirt.

I am very aware of the weight of clothing that I purchase. Can you please explain what the part I've marked in bold and red in your comment means?

certainly. The stores I shop in and websites call their Plus-size department "Womens". In many threads on packing, some women who call themselves Plus-size or "fluffy" say they cannot pack light because of their clothing size. A fallacy. A poster said many of the "daytime" clothes in the Women's department weigh more than the "evening" clothes. The "winky eye" with my sentence - you may have missed that it meant sarcasm.

Linen is a heavy fabric - I do not travel with it for that reason. It's all about choices of fabrics when I travel.

+1000

Venn - that's the way it works for us that are under size 14 too ;)

I am glad you asked the question as I found that post and especially the line referencing women over size 14 troubling.

slider girl's response: certainly. The stores I shop in and websites call their Plus-size department "Womens". In many threads on packing, some women who call themselves Plus-size or "fluffy" say they cannot pack light because of their clothing size. A fallacy . A poster said many of the "daytime" clothes in the Women's department weigh more than the "evening" clothes. The "winky eye" with my sentence - you may have missed that it meant sarcasm.

Linen is a heavy fabric - I do not travel with it for that reason. It's all about choices of fabrics when I travel.

Ruth C said: Shopping in the women's department.

slidergirl - Ruth C said the women's department. That does not denote plus sizes. That means she shops in a women's store.

I saw no reason for your comment - winky eye or not. I don't pack linen either (wrinkles too easily) but my casual clothes which often require layers certainly weigh more than my gala clothes.

Nothing wrong with changing for dinner if you are so inclined ;)

We both change for dinner. But we do not change into clothing that can or is only worn at night. Weight has zero to do with it since this is something that we consider for every item that goes in our bags. It is how we now shop

and how we pack.

Spot on --- again:)

Venn - that's the way it works for us that are under size 14 too ;)

I am glad you asked the question as I found that post and especially the line referencing women over size 14 troubling.

slidergirl - Ruth C said the women's department. That does not denote plus sizes. That means she shops in a women's store.

I saw no reason for your comment - winky eye or not. I don't pack linen either (wrinkles too easily) but my casual clothes which often require layers certainly weigh more than my gala clothes.

Nothing wrong with changing for dinner if you are so inclined ;)

No, she said women's department, as in a section of a store. Department stores have "departments." Dillard's has a women's department, Walmart has a women's department... As I stated, where I shop, the "women" department is the plus-size department. Misses is where the 0-14 sized clothing is found. Then, there is petite, for those of smaller stature, and Juniors for the teen-20somethings... If you want an example of "women" as a plus-size, head to Jill.

Edited by slidergirl