Bidding for Haven/Upgrades

leeker13

Woo-hoo!!!!!! Got the "congratulations" email yesterday that we're upgraded to the a Haven Spa suite for our Saturday (2/18). Upgraded from a B9 category to an H9. First time in the Haven so really looking forward to it. Accepted bid was on the mid/low end of "Good". Added a good bit of $$ to overall cost to the cruise but WAY less than had I booked the Haven originally. Don't mind that I'm not getting the additional Free at Sea perks - got the only ones that matter to us (beverage and dining) when we booked the balcony. See ya in couple days!!!

Woo-hoo!!!!!! Got the "congratulations" email yesterday that we're upgraded to the a Haven Spa suite for our Saturday (2/18). Upgraded from a B9 category to an H9. First time in the Haven so really looking forward to it. Accepted bid was on the mid/low end of "Good". Added a good bit of $$ to overall cost to the cruise but WAY less than had I booked the Haven originally. Don't mind that I'm not getting the additional Free at Sea perks - got the only ones that matter to us (beverage and dining) when we booked the balcony. See ya in couple days!!!

Question: If you bid on and win a Haven upgrade, does the Free at Sea perks go away ? Does that mean the 3rd & 4th person can not sail for free ? If so, I would assume that I would then have to pay regular price in a Haven upgrade for the 3rd & 4th person. I'm confused ! Can someone give me more explantion on this. Thanks !

Question: If you bid on and win a Haven upgrade, does the Free at Sea perks go away ? Does that mean the 3rd & 4th person can not sail for free ? If so, I would assume that I would then have to pay regular price in a Haven upgrade for the 3rd & 4th person. I'm confused ! Can someone give me more explantion on this. Thanks !

the general comment always made on here is when you get upsell you keep all perks you originally had. so 3/4 should stay the same free if you had them before.

If you dont mind, What did you end up bidding?

if you are a family of five and want to try to bid on haven 2 bedroom then which category can you book to be eligible for the upgrade? I understand that there are very limited cabins for 5. Are there any cabins for 5 on getaway for spa suite....you would have to book this category to be eligible for the haven 2 bedroom right?

This just stinks....why can't they just lower the prices of the haven and let people book like they used to. I get that its smart marketing on their part...because essentially most will try to upgrade and they will only have the interior cabins...their cheapest cabins go unsold. I get it...good money for NCL. I just don't like it!

We're new to NCL, booked a few days ago on the Getaway for the end of March, and just received a pair of the Upgrade Advantage Emails. I have a few questions about the details of this program, and apologies if the answers are buried somewhere in the 21 pages of this thread:

1) It appears that if we win an upgrade, the perks we have now, UDP and SDP, stay with us and we won't lose them because we won a "deal" on a better room. Correct?

2) If you bid on, and win, an upgrade, would you know exactly which room you get before committing to/accepting the upgrade, or only the category, or is the new cabin a complete mystery? We have a well-chosen Balcony now, and wouldn't want a Mini next to an elevator or behind a lifeboat. IOW, would we go from a known room to what amounts to a Guarantee cabin? That's a deal breaker for us if we run the risk of being locked in to a bad cabin. And I would assume that one of the reasons NCL launched this interesting program is to help sell unwanted cabins

3) If we bid and lose and decide to not re-bid, do we keep our existing cabin? I believe so, but I am surprised at the CYA wording in the NCL Terms and Conditions: 15. If your Bid is not accepted, you will travel in the category you originally purchased.

Thanks in advance..

It essentially is a guarantee. People don't seem to be told until a couple days before their cruise if their bid has been accepted at which point you'll know which room you have. I don't care where my cabin is and usually book guarantees anyways so I'm placing a bid just to get in the Haven. If I do, Great! If I don't, oh well. The T&C tell you if your bid is accepted you don't get the option to decline the room. Also if you don't get accepted it says: "If you are not upgraded, you will keep your original stateroom that you already have, and pay nothing extra."

2) If you bid on, and win, an upgrade, would you know exactly which room you get before committing to/accepting the upgrade, or only the category, or is the new cabin a complete mystery? We have a well-chosen Balcony now, and wouldn't want a Mini next to an elevator or behind a lifeboat. IOW, would we go from a known room to what amounts to a Guarantee cabin? That's a deal breaker for us if we run the risk of being locked in to a bad cabin. And I would assume that one of the reasons NCL launched this interesting program is to help sell unwanted cabins

Once you bid, you have already committed to an upgrade if they choose to give you one. You will be told your bid is accepted and your card will be charged. They will not contact you to get a final okay. They will assign you a cabin in the category you bid on, so yes, it is basically a guarantee.

Someone posted (in one of the 17,912 upgrade-related threads currently running) that they had noticed several upgraded parties winding up in the same less-than-desirable room. I would guess that the desirable rooms in the category were probably purchased already.

I'm in an aft balcony minisuite, so could only upgrade to suite or Haven, and I don't care where they are. lol But yeah, "upgrading" to a room that could be right by a noisy bar or kitchen doesn't sound like a good deal to me, especially if you purchased a specifc cabin to start with.

Thanks all.

The lack of visibility on your "new" assigned cabin, should you win the bid, is the show-stopper for us. We definitely do care what cabin we stay in, and don't want to run the risk of getting stuck in an "upgraded" cabin under the pool deck or next to an elevator shaft. We'll be ignoring these Emails in the future and sticking with lower class cabin we specifically chose..

Since our next cruise will be on MSC (saved almost 4000 USD compared to similar cruise on NCL) our next NCL cruise is far away and I havent followed this thread but for me the whole thing seems like something bad.

I am only interested in a suite so it's not an option to book a cheaper cabin and hope for an upgrade. I am sure that NCL will keep the price for suites very high and what they cant sell they sell with a big discount.

We are already in an aft balcony, deck 9 on the Escape. We decided we would only bid on the forward or aft suites because being in the actual Haven is not a big deal to us but being in a suite...well that would be fabulous.

Since our next cruise will be on MSC (saved almost 4000 USD compared to similar cruise on NCL) our next NCL cruise is far away and I havent followed this thread but for me the whole thing seems like something bad.

I am only interested in a suite so it's not an option to book a cheaper cabin and hope for an upgrade. I am sure that NCL will keep the price for suites very high and what they cant sell they sell with a big discount.

We have a mini suite on Escape for April 15th, and have a bid in on aft, forward and penthouse suites....all in poor range but figured we would try. While we were planning on buying future cruise certificates while on this cruise, the MSC deal sounds great! We may have to look into it for our next cruise instead .

We have never travelled in the Haven, so wouldnt know what we were missing anyway lol..

We're new to NCL, booked a few days ago on the Getaway for the end of March, and just received a pair of the Upgrade Advantage Emails. I have a few questions about the details of this program, and apologies if the answers are buried somewhere in the 21 pages of this thread:

1) It appears that if we win an upgrade, the perks we have now, UDP and SDP, stay with us and we won't lose them because we won a "deal" on a better room. Correct?If your bid is the winning bid on any category that you submitted a bid on, then you will keep all of your original perks, but you will not gain any extra perks.

If you are the winning bidder on any category that you submitted a winning bid on, then you are locked in to that category.

Speaking from personal experience, I was upgraded 2 weeks ago on the Getaway from a category B1 Aft Facing Balcony to an

H6 Haven Aft Facing Penthouse.

From the time I noticed that my bid was accepted to having a new cabin assignment was about 1 to 2 hours.

I personally would not bid on a category that has rooms available that you find less desirable. You can get a general idea of which rooms are still available by doing a mock booking.

If you already have a balcony cabin, then I would only submit bids on Haven category cabins. Mini Suites are not worth it to me personally, but everyone is different.

3) If we bid and lose and decide to not re-bid, do we keep our existing cabin? I believe so, but I am surprised at the CYA wording in the NCL Terms and Conditions: 15. If your Bid is not accepted, you will travel in the category you originally purchased.

If you are not the winning bidder, then you keep your original cabin as well as any perks that you originally had.

I hope this helps you out! :D:D:D

Thanks in advance..

We have a mini suite on Escape for April 15th, and have a bid in on aft, forward and penthouse suites....all in poor range but figured we would try. While we were planning on buying future cruise certificates while on this cruise, the MSC deal sounds great! We may have to look into it for our next cruise instead .

We have never travelled in the Haven, so wouldnt know what we were missing anyway lol..

We thought about the Epic for this summer but our TA mentioned MSC and we will try their new ship Meraviglia. The Yacht Club on Meraviglia cost around 4000 USD less than the Haven on the Epic for one week. We love the Epic but are prepared to try something new.

Found out there are only 8 open Haven rooms on our upcoming Escape cruise in May. Doesn't sound like good odds to be able to upgrade from a balcony. Everyone in a balcony or mini suite would be trying to upgrade to the same 8 rooms? There is nothing higher than a haven for those people to upgrade into?

Found out there are only 8 open Haven rooms on our upcoming Escape cruise in May. Doesn't sound like good odds to be able to upgrade from a balcony. Everyone in a balcony or mini suite would be trying to upgrade to the same 8 rooms? There is nothing higher than a haven for those people to upgrade into?

Hi. I sail on Sunday on the Getaway in a Spa Haven suite.

About two weeks ago, I received the bidding e-mail.

It was for three Haven categories that have been sold out for almost two months??

I bid but the categories have been sold out and I check every day multiple times a day LOL

The only Haven categories left on my sailing are one Spa Haven, and forward and aft haven cabins on Deck 9 and maybe 13 but the ones I was able to bid on have been sold out.

So strange and have zero hope LOL although that said, I still put in bids but today is Tuesday and haven't heard anything. Still VERY VERY happy with my cabin and location but just wanted to answer what you were asking about.

Have a great cruise!