Prices Too High

mcrcruiser

From our experience the prices including the 2nd passenger at 1/2 off are way too high by comparison to the recent earlier pricing of Celebrity cruises . Regardless of perks ;which are built into the price points ,what are your feelings about the current prices ?

We have found other cruise lines with better prices for similar itineraries ;)

Agree, the prices are too high, they are becoming ridiculous.

Wonder if they think Modern Luxury equates to these crazy prices or do they want to remake themselves & become another high priced premium cruise line ,like Oceania :rolleyes:

Cliff -- two years ago, I had four count-down clocks going, and now I have none. Well, except for my 2018 Smooth Jazz Cruise charter, on Summmit. And, while that will be quite expensive, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm paying for (and why).

My problem with the "Go Big" pricing scheme, and the frequent "SALES" is that it just all seems like one big shell game. I do believe, however, that there are some good deals to be found, for those who are watching for them. And, not to throw X under the bus, as other cruise lines do the same thing -- and have, for years. I remember RC raising prices across the board, and then announcing a big sale. (sound familiar?)

I'm completely aware that this is a supply-and-demand situation. As long as X can fill their ships, while charging ever-higher prices, they will continue to do so. In the meantime, I'll be watching the "Xciting Deals" for spring offerings from the West Coast. Ciff, you might want to keep an eye out for those, too! :)

Wonder if they think Modern Luxury equates to these crazy prices or do they want to remake themselves & become another high priced premium cruise line ,like Oceania :rolleyes:

I am not sure about the other Celebrity ships, but there is not much Modern Luxury to be found on Celebrity Summit. It is definitely starting to look a bit tired. Every stateroom we have had on our past 5 or 6 cruises has has something wrong with it from broken drawers, toilets that stop flushing, part held together by masking tape, etc.

I don't mind paying if I am getting my money's worth but we paid more this year for our New England/Canada cruise than we have in past and in our stateroom the bottom of the cabinet with the refrigerator inside was held together by masking tape and the rack that's on the inside of the closet door was broken off. My DH usually hangs his belts and ties there. Not to mention the hole that was in our bed sheets.

Also now you have to ask for everything. You want a shower cap - upon request only, cotton balls and q-tips - upon request only, ice - upon request only. Every time we sail they have taken something else out of the stateroom. I will ask our stateroom attendant and then they inform me those items are "upon request only" which I guess is fine, but if it was my first cruise would I know to ask for these items or just think they did not provide them?

I am not sure about the other Celebrity ships, but there is not much Modern Luxury to be found on Celebrity Summit. It is definitely starting to look a bit tired. Every stateroom we have had on our past 5 or 6 cruises has has something wrong with it from broken drawers, toilets that stop flushing, part held together by masking tape, etc.

I don't mind paying if I am getting my money's worth but we paid more this year for our New England/Canada cruise than we have in past and in our stateroom the bottom of the cabinet with the refrigerator inside was held together by masking tape and the rack that's on the inside of the closet door was broken off. My DH usually hangs his belts and ties there. Not to mention the hole that was in our bed sheets.

Also now you have to ask for everything. You want a shower cap - upon request only, cotton balls and q-tips - upon request only, ice - upon request only. Every time we sail they have taken something else out of the stateroom. I will ask our stateroom attendant and then they inform me those items are "upon request only" which I guess is fine, but if it was my first cruise would I know to ask for these items or just think they did not provide them?

I agree! We were on the Summit July 31. If it had not been for our first experience in Aqua Class the cruise would have been underwhelming for us. Aqua Class made the cruise very special for us. Imo, their prices are to high for the product they are putting out.

I think this is why it's good to have a few favorite cruise lines. When one doesn't have the itinerary we want, we go to the other cruise line. When one is too expensive, we go to the other cruise line.

True. Lately, Celebrity has been our cruise line of choice. Next month we are cruising Celebrity(Infinity), Princess during Christmas(Regal) and Celebrity again in January(Eclipse). I would have preferred a b2b with my December/January Celebrity cruises, but, the price is SKY HIGH(imo) for the December cruise compared to Princess ($774pp obstructed balcony gty). I suspect the price will fall after final payment to fill the ship, but, I will have made final payment on the Princess cruise by then. With that said, we are looking forward to a bit of a change that the Princess ship will bring.

We recently booked a Thanksgiving week cruise on the Silhouette and thought the price was very reasonable. Unobstructed Balcony cabin with Classic Beverage package and $450 ship board credit for $1,049 pp.

That is reasonable. You booked after final payment, right? What's happening is they are pricing so high before, then drop after final payment to fill the ship. Also, my observation is less people cruise over Thanksgiving. Have a wonderful cruise!

Marie

This even after dry dock?

Annamarie -- I felt the same way, when they discontinued the ice buckets. My room stewards and/or butlers were always happy to provide one (and keep it filled) once I requested it. But, had I been new to X, I would have just concluded that they did not provide ice service. :(

Are they really that high?

We've done a few road trips, all inclusives and a few flights to one place with visits to other places in the area.

Road trips were too exhausting.

All inclusives (Club Med style) were boring for any length of time.

Flying to one place and bouncing around to others was tiring and expensive.

What a cruise offers us compared to a few current prices..

(AND THIS IS JUST OUR OPINION) :

A hotel room with similar amenities and service as in a Celebrity stateroom (difference of course is size)

Well over 100$ per night

Transportation to several different islands or ports of call or just the sailing on ocean waters in itself (AS AN EXCURSION).

Easily well over 200$ per day

Free entertainment throughout the day as well as stage shows and entertainment each night.

100$ per night

Breakfast and Lunch at a local buffet (ugh) for two

40$

Carrrabba's Two for One SPECIAL (JUST AN EXAMPLE OF A TYPICAL MID SCALE CHAIN EATERY)

(**SHIP'S MDRs IN MY OPINION ARE MUCH BETTER**)

Dinner for two with soup and salad

One appetizer to be shared

Two entrees

One dessert to be shared

45$

////////////////////////////////////////

TOTAL PER DAY FOR TWO 485$

--------------------------------------------------

Upcoming 10 night Caribbean cruise for two.

Sailing from Fort Lauderdale

Five different Caribbean ports of call, no need to arrange costly island hopping flights or ferry rides.

Five relaxing days on a ship, unpack once.

Meals served in a dining room, buffet or on our own private veranda.

Never ever have to think about food, snacks, meals or something to do, it is there if you just open your eyes.

///////////////////////////////////////

TEN DAYs including all taxes and port fees.$2,725.00

bosco

While I admit to not reading all the posts on this thread....the simple reality is that if Celebrity can fill their ships at higher prices, they are going to do it. So far, the jury is out on that.....lots of sales and more to come in the Caribbean and people think about the seriousness of Zika....other areas seem to sell out almost irrespective of price...perhaps not to you or me, but there seem to be folks willing to pay the prices being asked. We're taking less cruises and doing more land and "other" activities...just tried a two week river cruise (and it wasn't a winner for me). We have a cruise booked to Japan and china and are probably going to scrap it and just to to Japan ourselves....Asian cruises seem to be pretty cheap....European cruises seem to be soft as well....and hmmm, Caribbean cruises are becoming softer......Celebrity may have to rethink their marketing/pricing soon....one can hope.

Edited by ghstudio

We got a smoking hot deal on our booked February Reflection. Raise (booked 7/16) when the promo 2 if by sea started, our TA saved us $1100 total AND we were able to upgrade to an S1! No complaints from us for sure.....

There are definitely deals out there!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by watchdiva

I know others on this board were on the sailings from New York to Bermuda back in 2001 when we took our first cruise. (as a matter of fact on the very same date we travelled) I am only going by memory but I recall it costing $2.700 for the seven days. And the experience back then cannot really be compared to today.

Prices have gone up but??? Cruises are to us the best deal out there.

bosco

Are they really that high?

We've done a few road trips, all inclusives and a few flights to one place with visits to other places in the area.

Road trips were too exhausting.

All inclusives (Club Med style) were boring for any length of time.

Flying to one place and bouncing around to others was tiring and expensive.

What a cruise offers us compared to a few current prices..

(AND THIS IS JUST OUR OPINION) :

A hotel room with similar amenities and service as in a Celebrity stateroom (difference of course is size)

Well over 100$ per night

Transportation to several different islands or ports of call or just the sailing on ocean waters in itself (AS AN EXCURSION).

Easily well over 200$ per day

Free entertainment throughout the day as well as stage shows and entertainment each night.

100$ per night

Breakfast and Lunch at a local buffet (ugh) for two

40$

Carrrabba's Two for One SPECIAL (JUST AN EXAMPLE OF A TYPICAL MID SCALE CHAIN EATERY)

(**SHIP'S MDRs IN MY OPINION ARE MUCH BETTER**)

Dinner for two with soup and salad

One appetizer to be shared

Two entrees

One dessert to be shared

45$

////////////////////////////////////////

TOTAL PER DAY FOR TWO 485$

Upcoming 10 night Caribbean cruise for two.

Sailing from Fort Lauderdale

Five different Caribbean ports of call, no need to arrange costly island hopping flights or ferry rides.

Five relaxing days on a ship, unpack once.

Meals served in a dining room, buffet or on our own private veranda.

Never ever have to think about food, snacks, meals or something to do, it is there if you just open your eyes.

///////////////////////////////////////

TEN DAYs including all taxes and port fees.$2,725.00

bosco

All depends on what you want. Right now I'm sitting overlooking my private pool surrounded by palm trees and ferns in Port Douglas, Queensland and paying $185 AU a night, includes breakfast. This compared to a cruise packed with kids and drunk adults is paradise. Not everything comes to close to $500 us a night - am I paying more for food? Absolutely, but I'm paying a fraction of what ships charge for excursions.

http://www.bnbnq.com.au/paradise/

Edited by Cruise Junky

All depends on what you want. Right now I'm sitting overlooking my private pool surrounded by palm trees and ferns in Port Douglas, Queensland and paying $185 AU a night, includes breakfast. This compared to a cruise packed with kids and drunk adults is paradise. Not everything comes to close to $500 us a night - am I paying more for food? Absolutely, but I'm paying a fraction of what ships charge for excursions.

http://www.bnbnq.com.au/paradise/

Haven't been on too many cruises "PACKED WITH KIDS AND DRUNK ADULTS", but do enjoy spending 10 or more days relaxing and seeing more than one "paradise" during the course of my vacation.

Looks like a great place and as always to each his own.

bosco

For our upcoming 14 day cruise in Feb 2017 to Vietnam and the Philippines, we booked a Suite GTY for $2399 (which included the four "Go Best" perks.) We already have received our room assignment (a Celebrity, not Sky Suite) so from what I can tell, this seems like a pretty good deal. Still need to fly in and out of Singapore (from the west coast) but I'm certainly not complaining!

Probably beginner's luck but I'll take it...

RK