prescription meds

4spring

Hi 4spring:)

I only use a weekly pill organizer for vitamins & always bring my meds, narcotics & injectable in their original script bottle/container. However, you can request from your pharmacy, a duplicate print out of your script labels & then place your meds in any container or organizer as you wish. My wife & I have been cruising over 3 decades now, never had an issue, but that doesn't mean an issue won't arise one day, so I approach my medications & traveling with a "When in doubt, don't" attitude..

Have a terrific voyage!!

(( PS: ))

I like to use original script labels because they describe the med, any numbers on med, and color of pills.

:)

I do the same as you...unfortunately almost half my carry on is meds ( some have to be in a cooler bag ) but I feel safest doing it that way. I have been questioned more than once about them by TSA...you just never know.

Technically it is illegal to have a controlled substance outside of its original labeled container based on federal law. Just take the bottles or ask your pharmacy for a smaller bottle and take only the number of pills you need in the smaller bottle with a couple of extras in case of a travel delay, if the original container is very large.

If your medications are classified controlled substance. You should have the bottle or at least the label that you get when you pick up. Most likely they will never check, but better safe then sorry.

Edited by Bosjoe

Everytime I pick up meds at the pharmacy, they give me a sheet with the instructions and info on the med. Also on that sheet is the same info that is on the bottle. I just keep a copy of that info(with the pharmacy logo)with my pills.

• 6 years later...
28 minutes ago, branda said:

Thank you so bags get scanned and handed right back when aboarding the cruise 

Yes, security in ports is like the same kind as when flying, but with different rules, since you can carry on all the liquids you want (shampoo, conditioner, lotions, etc) 

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Yes, security in ports is like the same kind as when flying, but with different rules, since you can carry on all the liquids you want (shampoo, conditioner, lotions, etc) 

Don't forgot the all important bottle of wine!!  😮 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, branda said:

If prescription are left in Cary on bag do they get pulled out of bag for anyone to see 

Never happened to us, but I have seen them search carry on bags if they see something on the X-ray. I would assume like the airport,  you can request the search in private. 

22 hours ago, branda said:

If prescription are left in Cary on bag do they get pulled out of bag for anyone to see 

Not a 100% true.  If there is a reason for them to search your bag like they see something, they might pull it out.  I got stopped and pulled aside at Security in Baltimore for my Enchantment cruise because they saw something that was flagged.  I literally pulled everything out because they said "yeah, its round." and everything in the bag was round.  That included my meds in the round container.  It ended up being the cap for my Aeropress as they thought it was drug paraphernalia.  

2 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Not a 100% true.  If there is a reason for them to search your bag like they see something, they might pull it out.  I got stopped and pulled aside at Security in Baltimore for my Enchantment cruise because they saw something that was flagged.  I literally pulled everything out because they said "yeah, its round." and everything in the bag was round.  That included my meds in the round container.  It ended up being the cap for my Aeropress as they thought it was drug paraphernalia.  

Thank you these are prescribe meds and don't want my whole family seeing I'm just going to put them with the rest of my luggage and not my carry on

1 hour ago, branda said:

Thank you these are prescribe meds and don't want my whole family seeing I'm just going to put them with the rest of my luggage and not my carry on

That’s not a great idea. If for some odd reason your luggage disappears or is really late (rare, but it can happen) you won’t have your medication. If you are flying to the port, same thing. Always keep your medication, your passport/ID and any valuables like electronics with you.  I carry quite a bit of medication and they have never taken it out of my bag anywhere. The most likely thing they will look at is liquids so keep those together and you can quickly show them. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

That’s not a great idea. If for some odd reason your luggage disappears or is really late (rare, but it can happen) you won’t have your medication.

THIS!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, branda said:

Never do this with prescription meds on the concern that luggage gets lost or damaged.

If you have meds that you want to carry discretely, just put the bottles in some smaller bag in your carry on. Then just make sure that carry on isn't going to have something else in it that would likely get flagged on an X-ray for manual review.

In the very unlikely event that your carry on has to be searched at the terminal, they'll be looking for what caused the X-ray to alert, not what's in your pill bottle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Never do this with prescription meds on the concern that luggage gets lost or damaged.

If you have meds that you want to carry discretely, just put the bottles in some smaller bag in your carry on. Then just make sure that carry on isn't going to have something else in it that would likely get flagged on an X-ray for manual review.

In the very unlikely event that your carry on has to be searched at the terminal, they'll be looking for what caused the X-ray to alert, not what's in your pill bottle.

Apriacte that definitely would ruin my vacation I'll keep on carry on

• Like 1

On 9/29/2016 at 11:10 AM, 4spring said:

Do I need to bring each script bottle or can I just make a list of them & carry them in one container? I don't have time to ask my MD for a letter.

We never take my husbands original bottles.  He has a list of what he takes on his phone, and we use tiny individual bags to put his day/night pills in for each day.  Works great.  I carry them in my tote on the plane or ship.  We never pack them in checked luggage.