Pickpocket alert!!

zoncom

We've cruised a few times and traveled to Europe and never had any problems so far. Simple things like keeping your wallet in your front pocket can help.

We have been to Europe many times as well and have not had any problems.

When we were in Rio de Janeiro a number of years ago, a friend of ours had a bad cold. He put one of those packets of Kleenex in his back pocket. While we were walking to a restaurant, he felt something bump him. Sure enough a child grabbed that Kleenex packet. Our friend turned around and the child was running away laughing. We would have loved to seen the expression on his face when he looked and saw what he had actually grabbed.

Just want to jump in and generalize the entire topic. The biggest mistake made by novice (and even some very experienced) travelers is to focus on personal security (i.e. pickpockets/purse snatchers) in one destination. Show me a place that is popular with tourism...and we will find warnings about personal crime. So yes, one should heed the OP's article and warning and take precautions in Italy (we certainly do). But you should use exactly the same precautions no matter where you travel. Once you get in the habit of taking some reasonable precautions...it becomes a habit that should stay with you everywhere. We have pointed out in other posts that over more then forty years of extensive international travel, we have foiled pickpocket attempts in Italy, France and Turkey. Another gypsy issue occurred in Spain...but we nipped it in the bud...long before it became a real issue.

I must admit that some of the good habits we have developed we now even use in the USA. As to Krazy Kruisers warning about Caracas.....that is currently on our very short list of countries where we will not set foot! Venezuela has now become so dangerous that it is a country to be totally avoided. In that country, pickpockets are the least of your problems. And just for fun we should mention that we live in Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) for part of the year where we feel safer then nearly anyone in the world. Go figure.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Doubt that many of you will take a cruise there, but Las Vegas is notorious for this. It especially occurs when large crowds gather to watch activities on the strip like the fountains at Bellagio or the pirate show at the TI. Easy for someone to "bump" into you. Use caution everywhere.

:)m

Just want to jump in and generalize the entire topic. The biggest mistake made by novice (and even some very experienced) travelers is to focus on personal security (i.e. pickpockets/purse snatchers) in one destination. Show me a place that is popular with tourism...and we will find warnings about personal crime. So yes, one should heed the OP's article and warning and take precautions in Italy (we certainly do). But you should use exactly the same precautions no matter where you travel. Once you get in the habit of taking some reasonable precautions...it becomes a habit that should stay with you everywhere. We have pointed out in other posts that over more then forty years of extensive international travel, we have foiled pickpocket attempts in Italy, France and Turkey. Another gypsy issue occurred in Spain...but we nipped it in the bud...long before it became a real issue.

I must admit that some of the good habits we have developed we now even use in the USA. As to Krazy Kruisers warning about Caracas.....that is currently on our very short list of countries where we will not set foot! Venezuela has now become so dangerous that it is a country to be totally avoided. In that country, pickpockets are the least of your problems. And just for fun we should mention that we live in Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) for part of the year where we feel safer then nearly anyone in the world. Go figure.

Hank

Krazy Kruiser warned about Barcelona not.Caracas.

Regardless of who posted what about where, I think the best advice here is to ALWAYS be vigilant and develop good habits no matter where you travel. Even when you're at home in your 'safe zone', you need to be aware.

Money belts, secure pockets, and common sense issues like not carrying all your stuff and being aware of your surroundings are all good suggestions. My kids used to make fun of me - what I called 'vigilant', they called 'paranoid'. Maybe so, but I've lived in many different states and countries and traveled a lot and so far I've never been robbed. I'm sure it's a combination of awareness and good luck, but the more we do to eliminate their opportunities, the luckier we'll be.

I think one has to be aware of specific scams used on tourists. Everybody knows about crowds and pickpockets. Do you know about scams where one member of the criminal group distracts you (mustard, asks a question, ask you to sign a petition, wants you to buy a newspaper but has only one copy, pretends to be deaf mute etc.) while another member picks your pockets and a third walks off with the loot?

Do you ever take your hands off your rolling carry-on on a train platform? Do you talk to members of your travelling group and pay no attention to your luggage?

My husband and I have been lucky so far. Vigilance is one thing, bad luck could be another. When traveling, nobody is always vigilant.

I think one has to be aware of specific scams used on tourists. Everybody knows about crowds and pickpockets. Do you know about scams where one member of the criminal group distracts you (mustard, asks a question, ask you to sign a petition, wants you to buy a newspaper but has only one copy, pretends to be deaf mute etc.) while another member picks your pockets and a third walks off with the loot?

Do you ever take your hands off your rolling carry-on on a train platform? Do you talk to members of your travelling group and pay no attention to your luggage?

My husband and I have been lucky so far. Vigilance is one thing, bad luck could be another. When traveling, nobody is always vigilant.

One trick I read about that I found most surprising was someone shows a wallet to a man and asks if he dropped it. Even if he doesn't recognize the wallet, the man will instinctively pat his own wallet to make sure it's there, showing the pickpocket where he keeps his wallet.

I live in the US and i get robbed once a week and then again every april. The worst part is i know whos doing it. OUR GOVERNMENT !

Same thing happens here, :(

Apparently I am not very smart for doing this according to some people in the press.