Changing standards

geeky13

Hi

I am interested in hearing the thoughts of those who, like me, have sailed with Celebrity in the last few years. This line has long been my company of choice but now I feel that standards may be changing. Please watch my short video which carries my thoughts.

http://www.karlcooper.co.uk/index.php/9-uncategorised/80-changing-standards

I'd love to hear your experience of sailing with Celebrity.

Karl Cooper

Edited by geeky13

I realize that I'm not actually answering the question that you asked.

However, when I went on my first celebrity cruise last spring, people said "you'll never sail another line!!" Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed-- food was fine, service in the dining room was spotty, service over the ship actually felt somewhat standoffish, and my stateroom attendant barged in at 7:15 on the last morning to tell me to give him a good review (I was just out of the shower and not actually dressed).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First, nice video. Smooth and easy to comprehend.

To your concerns (which seem to focus on the A portion of STAR)... Not too concerned with one meal being sent back, but twice is concerning... Or twice on the same cruise by the same person. Depending on the passengers, it is possible for the breakfast ticket to have been removed by drunks or kids and never made it to room service. So I give them half a pass. With the item missing from the TV order - no excuses!

My thoughts coincide with yours. Quality and details have been been degraded over the past few years. Still enjoyable (like a casual meal out) but not the WOW of a great vacation. Enjoy!

Edited by killsport
Typeo

We definitely believe things have changed and are changing. Little things have been omitted over the years, but in the last few years, as noted, things on Celebrity have been degrading... food quality for one.

(As an example of the "little things", also try another thread ]entitled "What do you miss about Celebrity?".)

We have about 21 cruises with Celebrity, since 1999, and we used to praise it constantly. We have three cruises with Royal Caribbean, as well. Last April, we decided to try Regal Princess for a back to back after my sister was so complimentary about it. We are doing the same thing again in November, as we really like the public areas of Regal. They remind us of the C-and M-class ships on Celebrity.... elegant and classy, unlike Solstice which we find,not so much ugly but trendy, and plastic-looking.

We no longer care about the itineraries.... been there.... but we do love being on board ship. We found the food was better in choice and as good in quality as our last cruise on Silhouette (several on this ship) last fall. We also found casual entertainment .. like a string quartet..not only to be in evidence as used to be on Celebrity, but to be very good. The production shows have been superior to most of what Celebrity offers now, including the singers (I realize that the singers would be personal choice).

Recently, a good friend said that after many years, her husband had agreed to go on a cruise with her. (He hates travel, and she does it alone, with a friend or her daughter.) She was really surprised when I told her we prefer Princess at this time, because Celebrity was just another line as far as we could see, and some things just didn't compare. I think she was thinking of Celebrity herself since we had been lauding it for so many years. She has been on 2 RCCL, and 1 Holland America cruises.

I miss the Elite perks, but they can only keep one loyal for so long in the face of declining quality. I will keep looking on the boards here to see if there are any improvements noted; I won't say we won't sail Celebrity, but for now, neither of us wants to take further chances with the Canadian dollar being so devalued these days. With Equinox being kept in the Caribbean year long, I was sorely tempted to sail on that new itinerary, as the initial pricing was improved over others. But, my wife reminded me that we just were not happy these last few years with the degredation of the dining room offerings. So, we passed.

Bill

Edited by spearmint

Thanks for posting your thoughts (in the video). We agree that something has changed...and must of this seems to be concurrent with the arrival of Celebrity's new CEO. She comes from RCI.....which is a line that has consistently cut standards in service and cuisine in favor of large ships and an emphasis on maximizing onboard revenue (why give away anything that for which you can charge a fee).

We think there has been a general decline in the quality and quantity of the food served in the MDR. But our cabin service has always been fine...so we wonder if your issue is simply related to a few sub-standard staff that were serving you cabin. Unfortunately, the declines we have noticed are inversely proportional to large price increases we have seen in the past 2 years (again traced to the new CEO who once stated that she thought Celebrity was underpricing their product). We are Elite Plus and have an upcoming 14 day Celebrity cruise. But we have purposely avoided booking any other future Celebrity cruises until we evaluate our upcoming cruise. If things have not improved...we will likely be favoring some other lines (we have cruised on 14 lines) over Celebrity. Unlike some, we do not take this stuff lightly. Several years ago we noticed some major negative changes at RCI (while Celebrity's current CEO has much to do with their policies) and we stopped cruising RCI (after being Diamond for decades). To this day we have never set foot on another RCI cruise. I recently asked DW to make a choice for a last minute cruise (this month) on either the Anthem of the Seas or the Regal Princess. Even though the Anthem cruise was longer and less costly. she quickly chose to cruise on the Regal Princess! Bottom line is that once we detect major cut-backs or adverse policy changes on any line.....it can be a very long time (if ever) before we return.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Interested that many 'regulars' think Celebrity is down changing.

From it's pricing policies it seems to me that it acts like one of the budget cruise lines. The motto being drop headline prices, drop standards and charge as much as possible for anything when you get people onboard.

We have only sailed Celebrity once and have a second one scheduled. It is not just Celebrity - every where in the hospitality industry cuts are being made. The only way I see to continue receiving the level of quality that was common in Celebrity in the past is to upgrade your cruise line of choice.

I remember when every line had top notch service & food - our first cruise on Carnival was pretty amazing. I remember they had different china chargers for every night. The food and service were excellent and everyone dressed for dinner!

Cruising has changed - more folks are cruising and they do not know what is once was so they are quite happy with what it has become.

If you want better quality be ready to pony up.

No, we have not noticed any lowering of standards, but just the opposite. We have cruised on the Eclipse numerous times and the last one was in January. Perhaps something has changed since then.

I think the management/officer in charge would share your concern and they would in no way find it acceptable. I have had some minor issues over the years, but they are resolved if I mention it. Usually they are so small I do not bother, but it is happening less and less.

I hope it is not because they crew is changing soon.

Nice job on the video.

We have only sailed Celebrity once and have a second one scheduled. It is not just Celebrity - every where in the hospitality industry cuts are being made. The only way I see to continue receiving the level of quality that was common in Celebrity in the past is to upgrade your cruise line of choice.

I remember when every line had top notch service & food - our first cruise on Carnival was pretty amazing. I remember they had different china chargers for every night. The food and service were excellent and everyone dressed for dinner!

Cruising has changed - more folks are cruising and they do not know what is once was so they are quite happy with what it has become.

If you want better quality be ready to pony up.

The problem is that Celebrity is cutting quality AND raising prices. At least that's a problem for me. Maybe not for the new cruisers they're hoping to attract. Time will tell.

I have been active on several boards, including Celebrity, Azamara, and Regent. It seems that many posters feel a decline in service or food. Not sure if profit pressures on all lines are a factor or if people have higher expectations or are simply more critical.

We've enjoyed all of our cruises on Celebrity over the past few years and (most recent was this past May) and will be curious to see how things go on upcoming Azamara and Regent cruises.

Recently, a friend asked me if I only sail on Celebrity. He knew that i am elite+. He said that those perks must keep us loyal to Celebrity. I said that the perks are nice. However, they are not enough to keep me away from sailing on other lines. Elite+ got me some extra laundry, free coffee/teas, and more internet time. While nice and I appreciate the extras, I still cruise on other lines. Why? Cruising on Celebrity is nice. Ships are nice. Service and food is good. It has slipped somewhat. Entertainment is boring. With the exception of a few new entertainers, the production shows are old. Seen them too many times. Daily activities are also boring. Same trivia keeps going and going. On my last cruise to Bermuda, I was looking forward to the outdoor movie area. The wind made it uncomfortable. I used to enjoy the indoor movie cinema. How about showing movies on a big screen in the show lounge. I am sailing on celebrity( booked 2 years ago)again this winter with hesitation. My spouse suggested we cancel that cruise. We have no other future bookings on Celebrity. With the new higher fares, it pushed us to look at other vacation options. We have 2 future bookings on another line. So, I am sailing on Celebrity one more time and am not sure I will book again.

I agree with Mr. Cooper that the Celebrity product is not of the same standard it once was. My experience on the Eclipse was disappointing, as prices have risen while food quality has declined. Also, I had to complain to housekeeping about a few issues, including a dirty shower floor, when checking into my A1 for this year's transatlantic. When the crew member responsible for cleaning the shower told me that he could not do anything about the problem, I had to request someone higher up come to fix the problem. When the housekeeping manager came to look at my shower he said it also required some caulking to be replaced.

As a result, I could not use the shower until the repair was done and the shower cleaned on the second day of the cruise. As the ship was sold out, guest relations told me there were no other empty rooms where I could take a shower. This experience is not my idea of "modern luxury".

I recently asked DW to make a choice for a last minute cruise (this month) on either the Anthem of the Seas or the Regal Princess. Even though the Anthem cruise was longer and less costly. she quickly chose to cruise on the Regal Princess! Bottom line is that once we detect major cut-backs or adverse policy changes on any line.....it can be a very long time (if ever) before we return.

Hank

The problem is that Celebrity is cutting quality AND raising prices. At least that's a problem for me. Maybe not for the new cruisers they're hoping to attract. Time will tell.
I won't defend Celebrity or any cruiseline. Reading the various CC forums , every brand seems to have the same complaints . I'm new enough to cruising to feel that all cruises are good cruises but still recognize the cutbacks .

Perhaps CapeCodCruiser is correct that

" to continue receiving the level of quality that was common in Celebrity in the past is to upgrade your cruise line of choice. " "Cruising has changed - more folks are cruising and they do not know what is once was so they are quite happy with what it has become. If you want better quality be ready to pony up."

Good points . Unfortunately I don't want to pony up . :D I do appreciate recent improvements in smoking policies , eating flexibility , balcony cabin pricing etc . Overall , still noting the bad , I think the cruising experience has improved .

Edited by richstowe

I agree standards have fallen, this is consistent across the cruise vacation business.

I don't "blame" anyone, certainly not leadership as the current business model is to maximize profit while reducing costs. Celebrities current Leadership is doing exactly what the Directors ask of her, and instead of taking the degradation personally I accept it for what it is, business in the 21st century.

Nothing stays the same, the only constant is change, and we can adapt or move on. We look at a vacation as a "Want" in life, not a "Need". We have been very vocal with Celebrity about our last two cruises, both just not good enough. Celebrities response has been to acknowledge our concerns, and continue to downgrade the experience.

Our vacation resources are too limited to spend our time complaining. I understand their business model no longer fills my needs, so I need to either accept the changes, or look at options.

After 10 years of only sailing Celebrity (we had moved to Celebrity from Princess for the higher quality) we are again moving, this time to Oceania. Yes it is a little bit more, however not that much more, (take a hard look at the pricing and what is included, the deals are often comparable) and if we get the standard we expect, the additional cost will be well worth it. The Elite perks are nice, but not worth a mediocre or poor cruise experience.

A cruise to us is a product, we are not limited to Celebrity as the only provider. Other options exist. Celebrity also understands we are not their only customer, when we leave we can easily be replaced.

We won't refuse a Celebrity cruise as we have also kept previous providers (H.A.L., Princess) on our list of options. If special friends will only take a Celebrity cruise, or the itinerary is special we'll consider Celebrity but it will be with an expectation of lower quality.

For now it's "Hello Oceania, show us what you can do".

A cruise to us is a product, we are not limited to Celebrity as the only provider. Other options exist. Celebrity also understands we are not their only customer, when we leave we can easily be replaced.

I doubt that any customer can easilly be replaced, or they would not spend thousands of dollars and pounds advertising. Competition for customers is challenging, too many places on ships.

Wonder how much they have to spend on advertising per new customer they get?

........ I do appreciate recent improvements in smoking policies , eating flexibility , balcony cabin pricing etc . Overall , still noting the bad , I think the cruising experience has improved .

Actually so do I

Dine when you want, formal night no longer an enforced thing, drink packages, overnights in port, clean air.... I cruise now more then ever because of the changes.

Edited by A Sixth?

Actually so do I

Dine when you want, formal night no longer an enforced thing, drink packages, overnights in port, clean air.... I cruise now more then ever because of the changes.

When was formal night dress code enforced? Not in the 13 years we've been cruising.

I agree that much has changed. Little things have been eliminated. The biggest change has been the workload for wait staff and room stewards. My experience is that the crew is highly attentive and does a great job in trying to please the guests. The problems arise when an overtaxed crew is just faced with too much to do. I am still impressed with the service my DW and I get on Celebrity and would be more than willing to pay a few extra dollars to hire more crew. The customer facing crew is still outstanding it is the others that need to embrace the STAR concept.

When was formal night dress code enforced? Not in the 13 years we've been cruising.

Seen gentlemen turned away when showing up casual on formal night and/or offered a jacket and tie..

But been cruising longer than you.

Wouldn't EVER want to return to smoke filled days and scheduled feed times.

Edited by A Sixth?

Hi

I am interested in hearing the thoughts of those who, like me, have sailed with Celebrity in the last few years. This line has long been my company of choice but now I feel that standards may be changing. Please watch my short video which carries my thoughts.

http://www.karlcooper.co.uk/index.php/9-uncategorised/80-changing-standards

I'd love to hear your experience of sailing with Celebrity.

Karl Cooper

We found the food in the MDR(also the Eclipse)to decrease slightly in quality from 2015 over 2014. We'll again be on the ship in Jan.2017, so we'll see how it goes. Staff was fine. Really love Vadym(our waiter in 2015)We actually will request to have him again, provided he's on board. I'll agree they seem to mess up room service. We did "comped" one breakfast where I requested extra cost items. We never got them, but were still charged for them. The next time, the room service was free. Still, it's much better than the room service we had on the Regal Princess this year. Very limited choices & nothing beats cold scrambled eggs!(sarcasm here)We'll see how things are this Jan. Still I think overall Celebrity offers a good product for the money. Cunard, however is STILL our favorite line.

I call that the "Hershey Bar Syndrome". Years back you paid a certain price & got a certain sized bar. Now a days the price goes higher & the bar gets smaller & has cheaper ingredients. I'm willing to pay higher prices to maintain the quality, but not higher prices & reduced quality. So far on our 2 Celebrity trips(both repeat 14 day Caribbean trips on the Eclipse 2014/2015)quality dropping(in our opinion)has been negligible. Having missed Celebrity this year, we'll see how 2017 looks on the Eclipse.

I realize that I'm not actually answering the question that you asked.

However, when I went on my first celebrity cruise last spring, people said "you'll never sail another line!!" Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed-- food was fine, service in the dining room was spotty, service over the ship actually felt somewhat standoffish, and my stateroom attendant barged in at 7:15 on the last morning to tell me to give him a good review (I was just out of the shower and not actually dressed).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suspect the pushiest staff I've had for tips and/or good reviews were on Celebrity, I wonder if they put more pressure on the crew.

The cost to replace an existing customer who leaves, really isn't my problem.

The cruise line has determined what their standards are, I as a customer can accept or decline.

If the standards don't meet my requirements, I can complain, hoping standards improve, or I can find an option that meets my standards.

I have provided constructive feedback, over 3 years standards have not improved, I am not prepared to accept the lower standards, time for me to explore those other options.

I suspect Celebrity will generate a better margin from a new customer than they will from seasoned clients such as my DW and I. We don't gamble, don't use their shore excursions, don't buy pictures, don't frequent the Spa. We are a cost centre when the Elite perks are considered, so clearly if we don't like their product Celebrity would prefer to replace us.

That's business and good on them for setting their path, and following it. Just because we don't care for the product, does not mean literally millions of others don't. As long as they can meet the shareholders requirements their business goals are met.

E.T.A. Advertising is not for the existing Clients but rather to attract new customers. Existing Clients don't need advertising, they've already been sold. Look at the specifics of the Ad's. The target is new customers.

I doubt that any customer can easilly be replaced, or they would not spend thousands of dollars and pounds advertising. Competition for customers is challenging, too many places on ships.

Wonder how much they have to spend on advertising per new customer they get?

Edited by WpgCruise

Hmmm. We're still paying about $150 a day for a verandah stateroom, but getting beverage package and other perks. So, while I do miss some niceties, there have been other improvements over the 15 years we've been cruising. Certainly, the value proposition is what is most important.

I feel we're still getting good value for our dollar. It is NOT one of the high end lines...but is still a good value. The food in the MDR has suffered and then improved over the past five years.

We also aren't passive cruisers, and when we have an issue, we judge the response to it, not that it happened in the first place. Perfection is illusory, and expecting it can be frustrating.

I would love to sail on Crystal again, but the money is considerable. We sail on Cunard once in a while, and Princess when there's a deal we want.

In all, the market is driving all lines to hone their business models, and pay-to-play is the current trend.

My advice: go with friends and have your own good time. At this price point ($300 per night including food) we still think the value is there. That said, when we find a better value, we'll explore it.