Newbie Question! Are backpacks searched initially and when coming back from a port?

sfhenry

We are getting ready to become Crusiers... and I have questions!... I know the Cruise Lines want to make sure you buy their alcohol and do or can check your bags... When one does a day excursion and return to the ship, does someone actually dig through your backpack, looking for a bottle one may have purchased while in a town? When one boards a Cruise ship for the first time, is a backpack examined? It seems this would get exhausting, being subject to this kind of constant inspection. Thanks for any words on this.

Nobody digs in your belongings, they all go through a scanner, just like in an airport, and yes, they look for alcohol. And yes, every time you board a ship, they scan.

Ship employees don't check what you take off the ship, but on land some ports have "no food" policy, I saw even sniffing dogs.

You also show your key card that has your photo, this also scanned at least twice - when you leave and when you come back.

As someone who has never cruised before this just sounds so extreme... when I return from a day in a port, my backpack actually is X-Rayed?

on top of the scanning some lines will take any open bottles of beverages you are carrying

enjoy the cruise

As someone who has never cruised before this just sounds so extreme... when I return from a day in a port, my backpack actually is X-Rayed?

I am dying of curiosity. Why would you consider a standard security screening to be "extreme?"

You're going from one nation- the port- into another "nation"- the ship. You place your possessions onto the conveyor belt as you would before any trip. It's just like flying from one home airport to another- the plane doesn't want any dangerous or smuggled items on board, and neither does the ship. It's all very quick and easy.:)

And, if the security were not in place, think what a great opportunity it would be for someone to bring something onboard that's not allowed - like a gun.

Nobody digs in your belongings, they all go through a scanner, just like in an airport, and yes, they look for alcohol.

And they look for bombs, guns, incendiary devices, animals, food ..... just to name a few.

We came back to the ship when in Bermuda, and a party in front of us bought candles. Four people, four purses, back packs, all searched, all had candles. All were confiscated.

Like a PP, I'd like to know why the OP thinks that scanning bags is "extreme". Especially in this day and age, when they inspect all bags just to enter a theme park.

What's in that bag of yours that you don't want them to see?

All of your belongings are x-rayed - bags containing your purchases, backpacks, handbags, beach bags, everything - just like at an airport. As mentioned, they are looking for a variety of prohibited items. If you have nothing to hide, then you'll be OK with them screening your belongings.

All of your belongings are x-rayed - bags containing your purchases, backpacks, handbags, beach bags, everything - just like at an airport. As mentioned, they are looking for a variety of prohibited items. If you have nothing to hide, then you'll be OK with them screening your belongings.

Slightly off topic, not on a cruise, but in India last month every time we entered any hotel our bags had to go through the scanners and we had to have the wand scan. Better safe than sorry.

In Genoa while waiting to board MSC they had a table of confiscated items from passengers, the most lethal looking knives, knuckle dusters and other parenphalia I can only guess at. Glad they were confiscated and not on the ship. Welcome to the world we now live in.

What are you planning to carry that a normal xrAY EXAM OF YOUR BAKCPACK WOULD JEEOPAERDIZE YOUR PLANS? wHAT IS EXTREMEa bout a usual air port type x- ray? We are all very used to them by now and i f we are not carrying anything we shoudx not,there is no problem.

You can' go ro a concert or base all game or NFL etc aND NOt have yourcf BAC K PACK X-RAYED. iT IS FOR THE SAFLY OF ALL OF US.

WShat are your plans

Easy, don't cfrry a back pack and you wont have to ' submittto having it examined.

Edited by sail7seas

Absolutely. I am at 90 cruises and counting and I can't remember how many years it has been since every backpack, AND every shopping sack or box was NOT thoroughly X-rayed. You will be asked to remove any disallowed items: travel irons, alcohol (even in small airplane bottles, and on some lines, even bringing aboard water is not allowed, though some will allow a "reasonable" amount. Additionally, blogs and boards often include "hints" on how to "sneak" things aboard, how to "stack" them to make them difficult to recognize in your luggage. Though some claim they are able to do this, I have never tried to take forbidden items, and my friends who have, have always been caught. This means they must go to the "bad boy room", on most lines, usually on the lowest deck, open your luggage, identify the offending items as yours, and from there some give you the option of paying the $15 or $20 corkage fee (I have friends who gladly do this because the want only their special wine not available on board. Others will allow you to "collect" your items as you disembark (IF you remember to bring your claim slip and report at the correct time on a morning that is already hectic), and still other lines confiscate all liquor and keep it. Those with this policy state it clearly in your pre cruise documents, that seized alcohol is NOT returned. For a relaxed, stress free cruise, follow the rules of the line you are sailing with is my advice.

We are getting ready to become Crusiers... and I have questions!... I know the Cruise Lines want to make sure you buy their alcohol and do or can check your bags... When one does a day excursion and return to the ship, does someone actually dig through your backpack, looking for a bottle one may have purchased while in a town? When one boards a Cruise ship for the first time, is a backpack examined? It seems this would get exhausting, being subject to this kind of constant inspection. Thanks for any words on this.

Just like at the airport they are scanned, whenever you board the ship, though at initial embarkation they are scanned when you enter the terminal.

(To a large extent this depends on the cruise lines, I know that at least three of the luxury lines do not scan , or look at bags when you board.)

I do not think that you are going to have an enjoyable trip.

You might also want to know that they do not need a search warrant nor your presence to search your room while looking for things that you might have had in your backpack.