Is he in trouble? Crew members please respond!

Hello everyone. I recently was on my first Royal Caribbean cruise, a very small ship, approx 2,000 passengers, and it was a nightmare. Rerouted and docked at nowhere due to Hurricane Matthew & Nicole. 1/2 passengers left. I stayed. Nothing to do but hang out and make the most of it. Struck up conversations with the same bartender. He gave me his email and the last night, met me on the pool deck and talked for about 15 mins. He never sat down saying Big Brother was watching. He was off the clock but in uniform because he had just finished his shift. No one else was out there at 1am until OF COURSE, his supervisor walked by. At that point, he said I better go, gave me a hug and left. By the time I got back to my cabin, I had an email from him with a few pics of him from previous ports. Before leaving the next morning I dropped a gratuity envelope with money in it for him in the guest services box and I emailed him back a few days later. No response. He told me he isn't too tech savvy though. And his wifi rate is 36cents day / 12cents midnight. I don't know how often he signs on. Yet remember, that night before I got back to my room, he already sent me email with smilies and pics of him at ports.

So my questions are this:

1) OMG DID HE GET FIRED OR REPRIMANDED JUST FOR A QUICK TALK? it was innocent talking just was going to have a pen pal.

2) Do the cruise lines monitor gmail email addresses? Can they read the crew's emails?? That would be an oops......because there is coy flirting in them

Or...

3) Today has been just a week since I left the ship. I know he works 70+ hrs, maybe it seems longer to me than it is? Land time vs sea time?

I just feel HORRIBLE not knowing if this poor guy got in trouble. He's on his first contract that began only a month ago. I'm sick over this, he is such a nice guy.

Thanks in advance!

He is now on to the next girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) 2,000 pax is NOT a "very small" ship. Lol that's a moderate sized ship.

2) Crew aren't allowed to socialize with pax, so I'm sure he received a consequence of some kind.

3) Thank goodness you didn't get raped! Being alone with a crew member in the middle of the night on a ship has ended in rape and/or murder for multiple ladies over the years.

4) You gave him money, so I doubt you'll hear from him again. He's on to new pax now, probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With RCI your number 2 is incorrect. Crew (maybe not all) are allowed to socialize with guests while off duty in common areas of the ship and they must wear their names badges. We have had multiple dinners with crew at specialty restaurants over the years.

As for your others points they are accurate and regretfully some of them have happened in the past.

With RCI your number 2 is incorrect. Crew (maybe not all) are allowed to socialize with guests while off duty in common areas of the ship and they must wear their names badges. We have had multiple dinners with crew at specialty restaurants over the years.

That would be limited to officers. (Hotel staff, Concierge, Senior staff, etc.) General service crew would not be permitted.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1) 2,000 pax is NOT a "very small" ship. Lol that's a moderate sized ship.

2) Crew aren't allowed to socialize with pax, so I'm sure he received a consequence of some kind.

3) Thank goodness you didn't get raped! Being alone with a crew member in the middle of the night on a ship has ended in rape and/or murder for multiple ladies over the years.

4) You gave him money, so I doubt you'll hear from him again. He's on to new pax now, probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

YOUR WRONG! Depending on your rank and title you most certainly CAN socialize with the passengers. Try and get your facts straight before you post and look like a fool.....K.O.:rolleyes: Edited by Thetrail

YOUR WRONG! Depending on your rank and title you most certainly CAN socialize with the passengers. Try and get your facts straight before you post and look like a fool.....K.O.:rolleyes:

I'm afraid "you're" wrong and unnecessarily nasty too. The poster used the word CREW and was correct. There is a difference between CREW and OFFICER. Crew are not permitted to fraternise with pax and have limited access to pax areas (only to and from work areas). Officers...completely different.

So maybe maybe get your facts straight and well...you know the rest.

I dont get it??

I'm missing something here.

Help me please.

Thanks

There was a thread about a young woman who went ashore in Jamaica and decided not to bother returning to the ship. Quite amusing. If I can find the thread I'll let you know.

There was a thread about a young woman who went ashore in Jamaica and decided not to bother returning to the ship. Quite amusing. If I can find the thread I'll let you know.

Thanks I did miss that one.

And yes, do you have a link?

Appreciate the clarification.

Sea Ya

I'm afraid "you're" wrong and unnecessarily nasty too. The poster used the word CREW and was correct. There is a difference between CREW and OFFICER. Crew are not permitted to fraternise with pax and have limited access to pax areas (only to and from work areas). Officers...completely different.

So maybe maybe get your facts straight and well...you know the rest.

And actually, you're not right either.

First off, not only is there a distinction between crew and officers, but there is also a distinction between officers and supervisors (even those that wear uniforms with stripes). The only real ship's officers are the deck and engine licensed officers, and the doctor. Everyone else is a supervisor.

Secondly, in fact, some crew do have access to pax areas on their time off, normally limited to a specified number of times a month (by rank), and at the discretion of the department head. We routinely rewarded crew with dinners in the restaurants, even entry level crew. Even officers and supervisors are limited by rank in their access to pax areas. And, even then, even senior supervisors (as I've said, we lost a HD for too much time in a pax cabin, even during working hours) are limited to the amount of fraternization they can engage in with the pax.

Finally, here on CC, the term "crew" is used very loosely, so it is always difficult to determine the poster's point of reference.

First off, not only is there a distinction between crew and officers, but there is also a distinction between officers and supervisors (even those that wear uniforms with stripes). The only real ship's officers are the deck and engine licensed officers, and the doctor. Everyone else is a supervisor.

Secondly, in fact, some crew do have access to pax areas on their time off, normally limited to a specified number of times a month (by rank), and at the discretion of the department head. We routinely rewarded crew with dinners in the restaurants, even entry level crew. Even officers and supervisors are limited by rank in their access to pax areas. And, even then, even senior supervisors (as I've said, we lost a HD for too much time in a pax cabin, even during working hours) are limited to the amount of fraternization they can engage in with the pax.

Finally, here on CC, the term "crew" is used very loosely, so it is always difficult to determine the poster's point of reference.

Your responses are always informative, thank you. Having been previously married to an officer, I know all about what you are explaining. I didn't want to get into the specifics as you so eloquently did.

Good to know!:):D

Thanks for explaining these distinctions.

Here's a link to the thread to which I referred earlier:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2349743&highlight=Jamaica+Montego

Thanks for this link.

I really do not know how I missed it on its first run, I usually read most of the threads.

I hate when I have to watch the re-play and feel out of the loop.

Thanks for keeping me up to date.

Safe travels.

Here's a link to the thread to which I referred earlier:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2349743&highlight=Jamaica+Montego

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I missed this first time around. Hysterical.

It seems as if two different people (or personalities) wrote that blog. One on, one off, some "alternative" substances. Just sayin'.

FYI one of the crew we spoke with at a meet the entertainers session said that outside of normal job requirements you have to have 2.5 "bars" in order to be allowed in the passenger areas, but still have to be wearing uniform and name tag.