Share and Salty Dog are a bust!

yyjguy

I didn't read it that way, but I do know there are some who are very dismissive of people who don't like SHARE. I was last on Ruby right before the SHAREification of Sabatini's, so I haven't been tempted. I am a fan of the Sabatini's on Crown, the location, specifically. I like to eat my chicken entree while watching the beautiful view out the back windows. :) Another thing I like about it is the fact that I can order another chicken if I want to without paying an additional charge over and above the first $29 upcharge. At the risk of being called a tasteless hick (and other charming things, as has happened to me more than once here), I am not tempted by SHARE because nothing on the menu appeals to me, and I am not willing to pay $39 to taste something I don't want to eat. Don't knock it until you try it? I'm not knocking it. I'm just saying I don't want to try it. As for Salty Dog, I was on the first cruise on the Crown after they debuted it. The way they plopped down the fast-food style tables in the middle of the nautical decor just didn't work for me. I declined to pay an extra $19 for sitting at one of those tables. (BTW, I sat in one when the restaurant was not yet open, and I found the chair uncomfortable.) So here's someone who does not find either new restaurant appealing. Maybe I'm one of thousands not dining there?

You have some valid points. I hope I get to try it before it disappears, but it doesn't seem likely since my next three cruises are on the Caribbean and Grand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is a different fondue.

There used to be Fondue "restaurant" that debuted on Royal Princess. It was a section off of the buffet. There is info here:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2013/10/day-3-at-sea-part-2.html

The FONDUE is on your menu, third down on the right, Heirloom Beets and goat cheese fondue.

Before shouting (capitalizing FONDUE) your correction, consider that Fondues was an option that began at the same time as the Crab Shack on the Royal and that Fondues is no longer a dining option in response to the question by "brian1".

Edited by Astro Flyer

It is better but they've convinced the public that anything they pay for is waaaaay better. I suppose they thought that raising the price even higher that Sabatini's people would flock to the place but given a taste of the Curtis Stone food in the main DR turned a lot of people off entirely.

I'm sure the place will be changed as soon as the contract with Curtis Stone is up- however long that is.

Share was doomed from the beginning. Even if the Curtis Stone selections in the MDR were good, Why would anyone pay a $40 p.p. up charge in the restaurant when they can get the food in the MDR? The fact that the Curtis Stone food in the MDR has had bad reviews has only added to the problem. Unfortunately common sense isn't a flower that grows in everybody's garden.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Have these changes affected the fish and chips noon lunch that was served in the Wheelhouse on sea days? Always enjoyed that lunch, I hope it still exists on the Ruby.

The Salty Dog was added at dinner time to the Crown's Wheelhouse Bar which has the same design as the Ruby and on some sea days we had the Pub Lunch in the Wheelhouse Bar. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I won't dispute that. But the component parts that comprise the meal scream "lunch", "appetizers" or "side dishes" to me. (With the exception of the short ribs and pork cheek.) And portion quantity aside, this is marketed as the home of a gourmet burger and that cannot be divorced from the $19 price tag.

• Grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup? Classic lunch fare.
  • Crab cake? An appetizer or a side dish.
  • Calamari? A ubiquitous appetizer.
  • Mushroom saute? Grilled asparagus? Roasted cauliflower? Beets? Vegetables that should accompany an entree and not count as one of the three items you are limited to ordering.
  • Mac-n-cheese? I've only eaten this at lunch.
  • Poutine? An appetizer to share amongst the table like nachos or potato skins.

All of this might be terrific. But it seems better suited as supplements to the Pub Lunch menu or as a new "for a fee" option that is available for both lunch and dinner. I'll bet that if they removed the short ribs and pork cheek option, lowered the price to $12, and served this for lunch, it would sell out every day. $19 for dinner? Not so much.

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

We would not pay $19 for anything on that menu on land or sea. Consider that you are already paying for food in your cruise fare...so that $19 is actually an "additional cost" which is a bit steep for an ordinary grilled cheese sandwich or mac % cheese (with a hint of lobster). We have always enjoyed the pub lunches on Princess...but, as I recall, they were free.

Hank

Salty dog tables and chairs are too hard to get into. I don't know why they thought high stools and tables worked especially with an older clientele...

The tables in SHARE don't look comfortable, either. Uncomfortable seating on undersized chairs and benches is an unfortunate trend to cram in more diners in restaurants these days, but I'm unwilling to pay for it. Give me an old-school upholstered booth or a comfy dining chair with arms any day!

You have some valid points. I hope I get to try it before it disappears, but it doesn't seem likely since my next three cruises are on the Caribbean and Grand.

Well, of course you know how great the Grand is. :) I did a TA on Caribbean a few years ago, and as I recall, we ate in CG (where I always get the lamb chops.)

I don't think that's it. SHARE was a bold, progessive move toward contemporary cuisine (as opposed to formulaic steakhouse or Italian.) They just hitched their wagon to the wrong horse. Had it been SHARE by Jean-George, or SHARE by Mario Batali, or SHARE by Grant Achatz, it might have been a huge hit. Curtis Stone simply doesn't have the name, reputation or pedigree to pull this off.

Food actually prepared by Curtis Stone might be fantastic (don't know, never tried it), but food prepared on a cruise ship thousands of miles away from Curtis Stone's supervision will likely not be the same quality.

Have these changes affected the fish and chips noon lunch that was served in the Wheelhouse on sea days? Always enjoyed that lunch, I hope it still exists on the Ruby.

The Pub Lunch that is offered on some sea days still exists.

Food actually prepared by Curtis Stone might be fantastic (don't know, never tried it), but food prepared on a cruise ship thousands of miles away from Curtis Stone's supervision will likely not be the same quality.

Go here and click on the "Restaurants" link to see how many restaurants Jean-Georges owns and operates. You won't get anything less than a stellar meal at any of them and at best he can only be in one kitchen at a time. Food prepared thousands of miles from his supervision can indeed be the same quality. But that is the difference between being a restaurateur (which he is) and a Food Network celebrity who pops in and out of cooking competitions judging people on how well they prepared an appetizer using their basket of surprise ingredients that included corn flakes, head cheese and Gummy Bears. To pull off an enterprise such as placing a SHARE on a dozen or more ships, Princess needs/needed a true restaurateur, not just a "name".

The Celebrity Chef thing is simply a marketing fad..which cons many folks. At best, you might get a recipe developed by a celebrity chef. But anyone can get their hands on nearly any recipe....which is not quite the same as having that famous Chef perpare a meal using their own skill and the best ingredients. When I go to a world-class Steak House I will eat the best Prime meat that has been carefully aged (wet or dry process) for weeks. But if I go to a cruise line Steak House I will get a much cheaper steak (that has possibly been frozen for months) that has not undergone the proper aging process (and is generally not cooked in the same type of superheated gas-fired oven used in many top steakhouses that are often around 1600 degrees!

As a great example, what HAL calls an "Evening at Le Cirque" is not even close to the real Le Cirque. or, the cuts and quality of beef served in most cruise ship "Steak Houses" would only be used to feed the cats in a real steakhouse.

Hank

Go here and click on the "Restaurants" link to see how many restaurants Jean-Georges owns and operates. You won't get anything less than a stellar meal at any of them and at best he can only be in one kitchen at a time. Food prepared thousands of miles from his supervision can indeed be the same quality. But that is the difference between being a restaurateur (which he is) and a Food Network celebrity who pops in and out of cooking competitions judging people on how well they prepared an appetizer using their basket of surprise ingredients that included corn flakes, head cheese and Gummy Bears. To pull off an enterprise such as placing a SHARE on a dozen or more ships, Princess needs/needed a true restaurateur, not just a "name".

I don't judge the quality of food by the number of restaurants. For example - McDonalds must have very good food as there are so many out there..... And Ronald is not at each one.

Maude by Curtis Stone does get great reviews. Gwen does also.

I haven't been to either of these chef's restaurants. I don't live where they are at. While I am not for the Share menu - I love the concept of Maude.

Edited by Coral

Would it be equivalent to ordering all the courses in the DR?

I usually have a roll or couple of bread sticks and order 2 appetizers, soup, salad, main course plus 2 desserts.

Reading this thread to catch up on Princess specialty dining as we haven't sailed with them in a few years but have a New Years cruise booked.

No offense intended, but that strikes me as a lot of food!!

Should one expect a for-pay specialty restaurant to be "all you can eat"? (I'm asking hypothetically as one who doesn't normally dine at specialty restaurants.)

I haven't been to either of these chef's restaurants. I don't live where they are at. While I am not for the Share menu - I love the concept of Maude.

Maude is in Beverly Hills. It's a bit gimmicky, IMO, with its one menu per month based on one seasonal ingredient. It also has only 24 seats, so it's easier to maintain quality control. I won't be eating there myself until I mortgage the house and rob three banks. ;)

Maude is in Beverly Hills. It's a bit gimmicky, IMO, with its one menu per month based on one seasonal ingredient. It also has only 24 seats, so it's easier to maintain quality control. I won't be eating there myself until I mortgage the house and rob three banks. ;)

Well, probably me too! I have only been in Beverly Hills once in my life and that was on a tour bus! Some of the prices are $140 or so but I probably couldn't afford parking :).

Some of the menus look amazing and others do not. I guess it depends on the "ingredient".

Edited by Coral

Yup.....

Bob

I just got off the Royal yesterday and it's a good thing I no longer cruise for the food, entertainment etc - it's transportation back from Europe.

The quality of the food I had for two weeks was quite poor in both the MDR & HC. Alfredo's was great. Curtis Stone although still on the menu, same entree every night - chicken and leek pot pie AND sea food stew on a few nights. There were many nights in the MDR when I filled up on rolls and soup as menu choices are just not there for me (and this was my 50th Princess cruise).

I just got off the Royal yesterday and it's a good thing I no longer cruise for the food, entertainment etc - it's transportation back from Europe.

The quality of the food I had for two weeks was quite poor in both the MDR & HC. Alfredo's was great. Curtis Stone although still on the menu, same entree every night - chicken and leek pot pie AND sea food stew on a few nights. There were many nights in the MDR when I filled up on rolls and soup as menu choices are just not there for me (and this was my 50th Princess cruise).

Ouch! Sounds disappointing :(