What they do not tell you

flstplt

Report from a recent Royal Caribbean west coast 8 night cruise on Explorer of the Seas. Good trip. Ship, service, overall experience all excellent.

My brother in law and his wife who became our sailing partners on our last three cruises were to sail also but she had a stroke in early July. They finished paying for the trip, last payment in mid July to include trip insurance. Doctors told them in August it was not a good idea to take this cruise. When they cancelled they were told they did not have the insurance until the last payment was made in mid July and since she suffered the stroke in early July, it was a preexisting condition. Come on! This information is not listed anywhere! Be up front with your customers. After three telephone calls to RCCL and speaking to people that seemed to really not care about the situation they were finally refunded approximately seventy-five percent of the trip. If this is not a case of "bait and switch" there was never one. My wife and I, both diamond members now wonder what else RCCL is not telling their customers?

Report from a recent Royal Caribbean west coast 8 night cruise on Explorer of the Seas. Good trip. Ship, service, overall experience all excellent.

My brother in law and his wife who became our sailing partners on our last three cruises were to sail also but she had a stroke in early July. They finished paying for the trip, last payment in mid July to include trip insurance. Doctors told them in August it was not a good idea to take this cruise. When they cancelled they were told they did not have the insurance until the last payment was made in mid July and since she suffered the stroke in early July, it was a preexisting condition. Come on! This information is not listed anywhere! Be up front with your customers. After three telephone calls to RCCL and speaking to people that seemed to really not care about the situation they were finally refunded approximately seventy-five percent of the trip. If this is not a case of "bait and switch" there was never one. My wife and I, both diamond members now wonder what else RCCL is not telling their customers?

It is stated in the policy that they do not cover preexisting conditions and it is defined in the glossary.

They are covered under the cancel for any reason portion of the insurance and should have received a full refund of their taxes and port fees, specialty dining reservations, excursions and drink packages. They also get a future cruise credit of 75% of their cruise fare.

With pre-existing conditions, it is better to buy a third party insurance.

Edit to add link to insurance information:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithGallery.do?pagename=cruise_insurance&cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=7

Edited by reallyitsmema

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

How was this bait and switch??? I use a 3rd party and find a policy that is exactly what I want, and do not rely on the cruise line insurance. I add the insurance the day final payment is due, but most insurance policies do not cover pre-existing conditions. Were they not emailed a copy of the insurance policy so they knew exactly what they were purchasing? Sorry this happened to them.

I think the OP's point might be: Since they had signed up for insurance, they thought there was coverage. Insurance is not paid until final payment for the entire cruise is made, even if you have made partial payments before

final payment. I have seen on these boards that you can possibly pay for the insurance with a separate payment.

So, just signing up for the insurance as part of the cruise package isn't covering you until it's actually paid.

I think the OP's point might be: Since they had signed up for insurance, they thought there was coverage. Insurance is not paid until final payment for the entire cruise is made, even if you have made partial payments before

final payment. I have seen on these boards that you can possibly pay for the insurance with a separate payment.

So, just signing up for the insurance as part of the cruise package isn't covering you until it's actually paid.

This is a good post unlike the rest of the petty ones. It's not hard to see how this could be misunderstood and the point is interesting enough to note, even if it is from a one post wonder.

I agree that this is pretty standard among insurance purchases. I think people who are not as informed think that when they tell the agent that they want the insurance coverage, they are "covered" from that moment on.

Unfortunately, the coverage is not effective until fully paid, either with final payment or in advance.

There are many policies with pre-existing condition clauses, and others that waive the pre-existing condition clause if you purchase by a certain point...some are within 14-21 days of the first deposit/payment, others are as long as purchased before final. However, I probably would have confirmed the coverage at the time of the stroke, to be sure that if the dr. said traveling was not going to be a good idea, I would be able to cancel (and do this before I paid final). But sometimes people just don't realize that they need to ask certain questions.

I hope SIL is improving and will be able to get back out to sea soon.

I agree and think perhaps this should be made very clear to the customer upfront.

###

Insurance needs to be bought and paid in full at the time of the cruise. Considering the lady had the stroke before they had paid for the insurance premium I think they were lucky that they were reimbursed with as much as seventy five per cent.

Slightly different rules here in the UK regarding cancelling means we would lose deposit, thats why we need to take out the Insurance as soon as we book.

Also, as we have to book and pay for flights in advance, not taking out insurance would be a big risk.

I have annual Cruise Travel Insurance that covers any pre-existing conditions. I renew this every year even if I don't have any trips booked. You never know when you might want to get away.

They might take the money but the insurance doesn't take effect before final payment.

The lookback period should start on the day you make the insurance payment.

This complaint comes up every so often. Cruisers must tell Royal that they want to pay for the insurance immediately in order to start the lookback period. Just paying the cruise deposit will not activate the insurance policy.

The lookback period should start on the day you make the insurance payment.

This complaint comes up every so often. Cruisers must tell Royal that they want to pay for the insurance immediately in order to start the lookback period. Just paying the cruise deposit will not activate the insurance policy.

I don't doubt that's true, but it seems to me that they should make that abundantly clear to the customer.

Edited by Mark_K

Ya know I just find this deplorable....I too would have been upset. I would think that you buy the insurance because of health issues you may or may not already know about and want to protect yourself from an unexpected health issue that would cause you to miss the cruise. Do people in their 20's purchase cruise insurance ?? I would bet not as much as people in their 60's and over. Also the OP already paid the insurance premium to the cruise line and the OP was reasonable in their reliance that they would be covered if unable to attend the cruise due to a health emergency that came about after they purchased the cruise... Shame Shame RCI is playing hard ball with a repeat customer. This is no way to build loyalty.

Actually I've always paid for insurance, either through the cruise line or a TA or a third party either on or within 14 days of cruise deposit date. This way, the pre-existing conditions are waived. Works this way for many insurance policies.

One caveat: If you decide to cancel your cruise at a later date, you will lose the insurance premium already paid.

tnt10

I would think that you buy the insurance because of health issues you may or may not already know about and want to protect yourself from ....

He had not bought the insurance yet. He said he wanted it and it was added to the cruise invoice but that invoice had not been paid yet.

Edited by JuliaMS