Favorite Part of a Cruise?

Life_Traveler

That instant, looking down from top deck at the pier, trying to detect if the ship is moving and not real sure and then YES we're cruising now!

Since that only happens once per cruise a couple others are:

- On transatlantics when the last sight of land disappears - bye bye land, it's all water from here for the next 5-6 days!

- In warm areas sitting on the balcony late at night sipping a brandy and looking at the stars - maybe even falling asleep in tropical warmth.

Finding a cozy, quiet location where I know I will be able to spend my time relaxing, reading, listening to my music and be in my own little cocoon for the duration of the cruise. And, knowing that I can have a glass or two of wine and I don't have to worry about driving back home (I'm my own designated driver)!

Traveling from 1 city/country to another without having to pack and unpack.

Ditto. Yes. You betcha. It's why when my wife and I do a land trip in Europe we always try to stay at least four nights in each city; enough of this "If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium" business.

Edited by Langoustine

I love being at sea and watching the waves roll by. Very relaxing, and it's about as close as one can get to understanding the concept of infinity. Nothing but water as far as the eye can see...living in NYC I rarely get to be this disconnected from life.

For me it's a toss up. The first drink (toast with friends) at the lobby bar. And on port days watching people run for the boat who are 1. Not paying attention to the time. 2. Being on port time not ship time 3. Drunk. Been on eleven cruises, haven't seen anyone miss the boat,yet. But it is funny to watch.

I have to ask this as I gt asked this question all the time.

For my wife and i its actually the showers. We live in a Motorhome and travel the country during the summer and cruise during the winter. In our RV at campgrounds you find it is very limited water pressure. Thus we love to cruise just for the water pressure on the ship. We find we take 2 or 3 showers a day just because of the pressure. This is why its so critical for my wife and I to get twice a day service just for the towels.

We don't even get off the ship at most ports. You can only see Cozumel and Grand Cayman so many times. We don't even get off in Aruba as we lived there for 3 years. there is nothing new to see there either.

Stepping onto that BIG beautiful white MOUNTAIN,seeing all the smiling crew members, sitting out on the balcony on a beautiful day, watching the deep blue sea rush by and am able to just RELAX.

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting on the promenade deck in a shady deserted spot on a sea day looking out onto the ocean and seeing nothing besides the sea and the horizon where it meets the sky and listening to the waves splashing against the hull as the ship glides through the ocean. It's so peaceful it's almost therapeutic.

Stepping onto that BIG beautiful white MOUNTAIN,seeing all the smiling crew members, sitting out on the balcony on a beautiful day, watching the deep blue sea rush by and am able to just RELAX.

Hearing that wonderful, BOOMING 'underway' horn !!! Pure music to my ears !! Still, gives me chill bumps, just thinking about it. :))

Mac