NCL Ban Samsung Note 7

Froggitt

Sounds fair enough

In light of recent safety issues with the Samsung Galaxy Note7, we are asking our guests who own this model to please avoid traveling with this mobile device. The Federal Aviation Administration has banned the Samsung Galaxy Note7 from all air travel, and, until further notice, this device will be restricted from all Norwegian Cruise Line ships.

Fire is one of the greatest threats at sea and due to the safety concerns these devices present, if one is found in a guest's possession or unattended in a stateroom onboard, our policy instructs the crew to confiscate the device for safekeeping. The device will remain in our possession, in a safe, monitored location, for the duration of the cruise. Guests can reclaim their device at the conclusion of the cruise from the reception desk.

We thank our guests for their understanding and compliance with this policy.

Good find & thanks.

It's about time from NCL risk management, better late than never. Airlines had issued notices and other major mass lines had announced restrictions and banning its use for a while now - tech savvy cruisers owning these devices likely had already taking steps to switch out already.

Burying this notice in the FAQ section isn't going to necessary the attention of newbie cruising - anyone spotting warning/reminder signs at the pier check-in ??

They're also sending out e-mails to booked passengers. But anyone who still has this phone and is still still using it, would they even understand that this message is directed at them?

If they STILL have one of these fire hazards at this point they're probably in such denial that they'd never listen anyway. Good move by NCL to confiscate these things. I know Amtrak has banned them from the trains completely. Anyone having one will not be allowed to board, period.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They're also sending out e-mails to booked passengers. But anyone who still has this phone and is still still using it, would they even understand that this message is directed at them?

Got my warning email today for my Sunday cruise. All it means is that if you are caught they hang on to it and give it back at the end of the cruise, so people with no other phone might as well try to smuggle it on board as there are no real penalties. For me I am happy to NOT have a cell phone on any cruise.:D

At last a thread agreeing with what NCL are doing; great to see. And good on NCL even if they are a bit late doing what others have done.

A similar message was all over Keflavik airport as we passed through earlier this week; hope that the various ports that NCL uses have messages all round the place.

Mike

• 1 month later...
Good find & thanks.

It's about time from NCL risk management, better late than never. Airlines had issued notices and other major mass lines had announced restrictions and banning its use for a while now - tech savvy cruisers owning these devices likely had already taking steps to switch out already.

Burying this notice in the FAQ section isn't going to necessary the attention of newbie cruising - anyone spotting warning/reminder signs at the pier check-in ??

They are not just burying it in the FAQ. My cruise is December 11th and I received an email alerting me to this issue yesterday.

At last a thread agreeing with what NCL are doing; great to see. And good on NCL even if they are a bit late doing what others have done.

A similar message was all over Keflavik airport as we passed through earlier this week; hope that the various ports that NCL uses have messages all round the place.

Mike

There were reminder signs during embarkation in San Juan on 10/30/16.

just got my warning 1 week out from the cruise. i dont have the phone but good to see they are more proactive than with water bans :)

Maybe if NCL still let you bring on water and the Note 7 you could use said water to put out Note 7 should it erupt in flames.

If they STILL have one of these fire hazards at this point they're probably in such denial that they'd never listen anyway. Good move by NCL to confiscate these things. I know Amtrak has banned them from the trains completely. Anyone having one will not be allowed to board, period.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When was the last time Amtrak checked to see what phone you were carrying?

I have an iPhone and didn't know anything about the Samsung...

Until...

We were on our San Juan to JFK Jetblue flight after our October 15 repo....

And...

As they were shutting the planes doors and starting to taxi....

They made an announcement...

To all pax the Samsung 7 (or whatever it's called) is not allowed on any Jetblue flights either in carryon or checked luggage

Great timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

I don’t know why anyone would still have or want to keep a Galaxy Note 7 when they can exchange it for a new Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge.
Obviously the people who paid full price for this phone have exchanged it by now. But what do you think happens to those millions of exchanged Note7s? They are still very fancy, cutting-edge smartphones that some people are willing to pay for, so I have to think that a good number of them have gone missing on the way to the landfill…