Princess Theme nights?

dd likes to cruise

New to Princess. Doing 10 day partial Panama Canal in Nov. Does Princess do themed nights? Curious as to what we could bring to fit in, if they do it.

Only the MDR will do special theme nights.They only do formal nights during the cruise otherwise resort casual.

Certain holidays being the exception.. I've heard that for New Year's (formal night) there are hats, noisemakers, etc, and probably "theme nights" for other holidays as well.

But no regularly scheduled "Western Night" or "50's Night" kind of events that I know of. These seem to be more frequent on 5 star all-inclusive lines during around the world or other long trips, to break up the "monotony" of months at sea. (Give ME some of that monotony!)

That said, the menu itself can theme a bit around the countries visited through featured appetizers and entrees, etc.

New to Princess. Doing 10 day partial Panama Canal in Nov. Does Princess do themed nights? Curious as to what we could bring to fit in, if they do it.

Assume you are not speaking about dining, but about themed activities. Depending on the cruise there may or may not be what Princess calls "Cruise Classics." You never know in advance what evening parties, if any, may be on your cruise. There is normally a tropical deck party which may have a theme, such as Latin night, or maybe Love Boat night. They are about 90 min long with both live and recorded music. They include individual dancing and line dancing. There may be a contest of some sort, or some raffle draws. There may also be evening activities such as C&W Night or Rock & Roll Night. No one dresses any different, except many passengers wear tropical clothing and island shirts for the deck parties, which is normal any way most days and evenings. You will fit in with whatever clothing you would normally pack for a tropical cruise.

I've been on 3 different Cruiselines this year and they all had a WHITE NIGHT PARTY, for instance - wasn't sure if that is standard. And on the last one a 70's type night too. A few folks had 70's style outfits, peace signs, flower hippy like clothing, etc. Just if I knew for sure, I MIGHT try to fit in!

I've been on 3 different Cruiselines this year and they all had a WHITE NIGHT PARTY, for instance - wasn't sure if that is standard. And on the last one a 70's type night too. A few folks had 70's style outfits, peace signs, flower hippy like clothing, etc. Just if I knew for sure, I MIGHT try to fit in!

Princess doesn't have anything like a white night party. Sometimes they will have different themes in the club at night but that's mostly centered around the music style and I have never seen anyone dress up for them.

We were on the Royal earlier this year and the buffet had different dining themes, we loved German night, but again it's just the food and not the dress etc.

On my first few Princess cruises they did cast subtle hints encouraging us to dress for the evening to match the theme activities: Caribbean night, Country-Western night, '70s Disco night. Couple that with having two formal and two semi-formal nights on a ten night cruise and there was a "dress code" for pretty much every night after embarkation. But as the suggestion that the evening dress code applies throughout the ship has disappeared, so has the "official" designation of theme nights.

If there's a large group keyed to a specific theme (like for a musical group), that group may have activities...but usually for only members of that group. Been on five Princess cruises and encountered any need to have brought special clothing. I think there was a country western activity on a recent cruise, but I'm guessing you didn't need to dress up for that unless you wanted to (not an interest of mine so I didn't check it out).

My last three cruises were the Hawaiian ones which had a festive deck party each time during which passengers were encouraged to wear aloha wear. But it didn't mean that you needed to.

But as others have said, on Princess the theme nights refer to the cuisine in the MDRs: French, Caribbean, Italian, etc. or a general theme such as "Landfall." It's the waitstaff that will dress for that theme.

No white night party or anything similar, that's for sure. There could be a disco night as one of the "Cruise Classics." But, as previously posted passengers do not dress any different for these events. You will never know in advance if there will be a Cruise Classic and if it is held what the theme would be for your cruise. I have been on b2b cruise where one theme is held one voyage and then another theme on the next voyage. As posted before your regular cruise clothing will fit in perfectly.

Princess doesn't have anything like a white night party. Sometimes they will have different themes in the club at night but that's mostly centered around the music style and I have never seen anyone dress up for them.

We were on the Royal earlier this year and the buffet had different dining themes, we loved German night, but again it's just the food and not the dress etc.

We had a White Night sailaway party on Sun Princess recently, when leaving Port Vila. About 30% of people dressed in white.

One of the women in our M&G group had outfits for the different activity theme nights--a poodle skirt for the '50s night, western outfit for C&W night, etc. She was a lot of fun. A lot of passengers thought she was part of the staff, since they're usually the only ones you see dressed up for the theme other than on island night.

I actual do recall a white night on one of my cruises several years ago. It was the deck party, but was certainly hyped as a white party... It was a very young cruise director, not sure of his name, but perhaps that was why. It was fun, and a great deal of people did in fact wear white

Bottom line--you do not need to pack for any "theme nights". If there is a theme party like Mardi Gras or Love Boat, it is come as you are. You will not see people dressed like pirates on pirate night (like on DCL), or anything of that sort. No need for a costume...unless that's how you roll. What goes on in your cabin stays in your cabin. (Unless you have certain mid-ship cabins on the Royal class ships, or so some say.) :p

I've seen "Crotchety Curmudgeon" night on Princess. Many dressed for it. Oops, that's many nights. :)

Hey! That's almost my normal Halloween costume! I dress as a "grandpa" or an "un-crotchety curmudgeon" - the curmudgeon part is because I don't do "dress up" for Halloween. The Un-crotchety part is because I love seeing the little kids in their costumes and give our multiple items to each one rather than a single item.

As for theme nights, you can bet that Princess ships are having sort of a theme night for Halloween as there will be decorations and some of the staff -as well as some of the passengers - will dress in costumes.

Edited by Thrak

What about in the MDR for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? Are they both formal nights?

Are there any special events around the ship for either of those days/nights?

Yes, one of them will likely be s formal night. On our Christmas cruises, Christmas Day has been formal night for MDR, Santa visits sometime during the day, there's caroling and Christmas crafts, decorated to the nines, etc...it's quite festive...

What about in the MDR for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? Are they both formal nights?

Are there any special events around the ship for either of those days/nights?

Our last three cruises included both Christmas and New Years (two week cruises so there were 3 formal dinners). On each of them either Christmas Eve or christmas day was formal (both not both) and NY eve was formal.

One of the women in our M&G group had outfits for the different activity theme nights--a poodle skirt for the '50s night, western outfit for C&W night, etc. She was a lot of fun. A lot of passengers thought she was part of the staff, since they're usually the only ones you see dressed up for the theme other than on island night.

I'm pretty sure I have sailed with her.