What to do when your stateroom mate bails on you?

chele670

That's not quite how it works. A solo is likely to pay the same amount as two people; the single supplement is (up to) 100%.

If HAL is notified in advance that one sister is not coming, if it's after final payment, her fare would be forfeited. The fact that the sister who is sailing paid that fare, and the fact that the amount is the same as the single supplement, does not matter. The fare is for the canceling sister, and is non-refundable. Now, the sister who is going to sail has to pay a single supplement.

HAL would get the equivalent of three fares for the two beds.

Wow, that's crazy! So if you 'fess up, you get nailed for another fare. But if you say "sorry, emergency" at the pier, you don't pay the third fare?

I'm still trying grasp the concept of paying THREE fares when only ONE person sails in a cabin that only holds TWO people. :eek: :mad: :eek:

I would NOT plan on a "last minute" emergency working, as from what I have seen over the years, Cruise lines will simply charge the person sailing the single supplement (plus keep the absent persons already paid fare money.

Three charges for one person? (sailing person'ss original payment plus the single supplement, plus the absent persons fare). YES. Fair - not really, but no one promised life was fair.

I once was under similar circumstances when my cabin mate did have a true medical emergency and had to cancel 48 hours before sailing. In our case we did have insurance and it paid for my single supplement, and refunded her full cruise fare. So, the cruise line received 3 per person fares. I was appalled and thought the Insurance Company would balk at this - but no, they paid with no question. When I asked why - the said "This is just the way it is done in the industry."

lines usually will

Questions: Suppose two individuals are sailing in the same room.

- How is that reservation booked?

- Is it booked as a combined reservation where each person pays half or does one person pay all and is reimbursed by the second?

- Same question about buying Hollands cruise "insurance"?

Questions: Suppose two individuals are sailing in the same room.

- How is that reservation booked?

It can be booked several different ways, including each person in the cabin having a different booking.

- Is it booked as a combined reservation where each person pays half or does one person pay all and is reimbursed by the second?

Even if it is booked as a combined reservation, payment can be made by as many or as few people as you want. Someone who is not even on the reservation can pay part or all of a reservation.

- Same question about buying Hollands cruise "insurance"?

No answer.

I just got on the HAL website and did a test booking on your specific cruise regarding the cheapest veranda, both at the single rate as well as the double rate, excluding taxes and port charges. As of today the single rate was $5,698 and the double rate was $6,758, a difference of $1,060. If it were me and I had already paid, I would at least call HAL to see what my options were, especially since the solo rate is not a 100% percent markup, and go from there. IMHO of course.

I just got on the HAL website and did a test booking on your specific cruise regarding the cheapest veranda, both at the single rate as well as the double rate, excluding taxes and port charges. As of today the single rate was $5,698 and the double rate was $6,758, a difference of $1,060. If it were me and I had already paid, I would at least call HAL to see what my options were, especially since the solo rate is not a 100% percent markup, and go from there. IMHO of course.

We offered the bed to my 94yr old granny...she is going to let us know today. My sister is going to pay the penalty. Our TA is on vay-k, so have to wait until she comes back, but we will still be within the first 57 days after final payment..so hopefully under $500.

Thank you for the research...we have side by side aft balconies and do not want to loose them for nothing.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Forums mobile app

We offered the bed to my 94yr old granny...she is going to let us know today. My sister is going to pay the penalty. Our TA is on vay-k, so have to wait until she comes back, but we will still be within the first 57 days after final payment..so hopefully under $500.

Thank you for the research...we have side by side aft balconies and do not want to loose them for nothing.

That is great news! I know what you mean about the aft balconies. They are great! But as my DW says, don't tell anyone that; otherwise everyone will want one and they will get harder to book. :D

I am in same boat(ship). Cabin mate is not going because her daughter is in cancer treatment and doesn't want to leave.

We are within a few days of sailing. Purchased through big box store.

They told us for her to be a no show. She did not buy insurance. and She is the primary (originally booked person). I took the place of another friend. So we've had one name change and they wouldn't do anymore. We were told that if she cancelled, it would automatically cancel me. Luckily I have insurance and the policy will cover single supplement (I hope).

I am planning to check in, and maybe later tell them she's a no show. Or will they finally figure that out, call her?

We are going with other friends and they have a connecting cabin. I still want to go and don't want them to cancel me out.

Hopefully Granny says yes. It could be a great time for you to make memories

Hopefully Granny says yes. It could be a great time for you to make memories

Looks like it's a yes!...she is going tomorrow to get her passport...my sister said if granny wants to go, it doesn't matter the cost! At 94, she is worried she will be too slow...we told not on a HAL ship!

Looks like it's a yes!...she is going tomorrow to get her passport...my sister said if granny wants to go, it doesn't matter the cost! At 94, she is worried she will be too slow...we told not on a HAL ship!

(bold is mine) Funny! I think it's wonderful that Granny is joining the trip. Just slow down and stroll and you'll all be fine.

I agree with TiogaCruiser, this is a rare chance to make special memories. One of my favorite memories is of a week in a tiny beach house at the Jersey shore with my mother and grandmother. One evening we got Nana talking about life when she was first married (both she and my grandfather had many sibs to interfere in their life). We laughed so hard that the next morning friends in the house next door accused us of having a party and not inviting them!

My question would be wants the harm of telling the line now?

We know you are a very experienced cruiser and wonder why you ask the question? Personally, we would never trust the folks at Seattle (or any other cruise line) to do the obvious and right thing. Not telling them has no risk whatsoever as it is simply a booked (and paid up) passenger who misses a cruise. Telling them serves no useful purpose....and puts the ball in their court for somebody to do "no good."

So, you ask...what could they possibly do if they are told? One possibility. that comes to mind, is to charge the remaining passenger the single supplement.

Hank

We know you are a very experienced cruiser and wonder why you ask the question? Personally, we would never trust the folks at Seattle (or any other cruise line) to do the obvious and right thing. Not telling them has no risk whatsoever as it is simply a booked (and paid up) passenger who misses a cruise. Telling them serves no useful purpose....and puts the ball in their court for somebody to do "no good."

So, you ask...what could they possibly do if they are told? One possibility. that comes to mind, is to charge the remaining passenger the single supplement.

Hank

I came in late on this discussion, and .I have not read ALL the posts, but as .I see it, If the cabin has been paid twin occupancy, the line can't charge again for single.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I came in late on this discussion, and .I have not read ALL the posts, but as .I see it, If the cabin has been paid twin occupancy, the line can't charge again for single.

If you do read all the posts, you will find that they can - and most if not all cruise lines do. If you go from a dual to a single occupancy it will generally take money out of your pocket.

Either I was very lucky and slid under the radar, or HAL has changed things since July 2003. A friend and I were booked on Zuiderdam for 7 day Eastern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale. A couple of weeks before sailing, a family emergency came up: he contacted the line and, while he was advised he could not get a fare refund, they did refund him the port charges --- but there was no mention of hitting me for a single supplement. As I recall I gave him a couple of hundred dollars to ease his pain -- and to sort of pay for the unexpected additional space I enjoyed.

I remain stunned by what seems to be the experience so many posters here report --- or could it be urban legend? Have posters here actually experienced first hand the absurd outcome of having to pay a single supplement after a roommate bails after making full final payment. I do not mean did they hear from their wife's cousin that it happened to the brother in law of someone they knew at work.

Either I was very lucky and slid under the radar, or HAL has changed things since July 2003. A friend and I were booked on Zuiderdam for 7 day Eastern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale. A couple of weeks before sailing, a family emergency came up: he contacted the line and, while he was advised he could not get a fare refund, they did refund him the port charges --- but there was no mention of hitting me for a single supplement. As I recall I gave him a couple of hundred dollars to ease his pain -- and to sort of pay for the unexpected additional space I enjoyed.

I remain stunned by what seems to be the experience so many posters here report --- or could it be urban legend? Have posters here actually experienced first hand the absurd outcome of having to pay a single supplement after a roommate bails after making full final payment. I do not mean did they hear from their wife's cousin that it happened to the brother in law of someone they knew at work.

Several years ago I booked a Caribbean Cruise for myself and a friend. I knew for sure several weeks out that he would not be going. I contacted my PCC to check on options. There were several conversations involved, but the outcome of each was that if I notified HAL that he would not be sailing it would cost me more at the time of the notification. I was advised to let the reservation stand. When I boarded the ship I said I wasn't sure of his status but he didn't show. About a week after the cruise I got a refund of the port charges.

Under Australian consumer law, that double dipping would be illegal.

Hmmm, you might want to consider that Aussies are not permitted to book HAL cruises via a North American agency. As a result, many have complained that Aussies are already paying a premium to cruise on HAL. Perhaps it is your consumer protection laws that spur on this policy,

Hank

Several years ago I booked a Caribbean Cruise for myself and a friend. I knew for sure several weeks out that he would not be going. I contacted my PCC to check on options. There were several conversations involved, but the outcome of each was that if I notified HAL that he would not be sailing it would cost me more at the time of the notification. I was advised to let the reservation stand. When I boarded the ship I said I wasn't sure of his status but he didn't show. About a week after the cruise I got a refund of the port charges.

I wonder if PCC's simply try to avoid the uncompensated work involved in changing a booking, and suggest the passenger simply show up and play dumb on boarding day.

I still would like to hear if it has ever actually happened to someone that, after a roommate bailed, he had to pay a single supplement in addition to the line keeping the half of the cabin fare already paid by the bailing passenger.

You should always read the entire thread before posting. In this case you would have learned that "as I see it" is dead wrong.

The person who cancels after final payment is due a refund on port charges, but forfeits the cruise fare. The person left alone in the cabin is now liable for a single supplement payment, which insurance may take care of (depending on terms of the policy).

This is not the only instance when two singles sharing a cabin can pay more than the per person/double occupancy rate, but is the most egregious (IMO).