Savings - How much money does your Travel Agent save you?

andy_man

How much money does your Travel Agent save you?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How much money does your Travel Agent save you?

• I book directly with the Cruise Line Company. I don't use a Travel Agent.
    • My Travel Agent saves me between 1-7%
    • My Travel Agent saves me between 8-14%
    • My Travel Agent saves me greater than 14%

I am (and I'm sure others are) genuinely curious as to how much money people are able to save by booking through a Travel Agent.

The purpose of this poll, is to get a real-world sampling of what these savings look like.

When I say Savings, I'm referring to any actual dollars and/or On Board Credits (OBC) that your Travel Agent gives you.

What percentage did you save versus booking directly with the Cruise Line company.

I understand that your savings may vary from cruise to cruise.

For some cruises you may get a whopping discount and other cruises you get nil.

The question is, what would you save on a typical (median) trip.

Thanks for participating in the poll.

Edited by andy_man

This is going to vary by length of cruise and level of cabin. Our TA usually saves us about 10%, but that could actually be greater on a short cruise.

Interesting. If I'm reading this right, could one say that,

the higher the price/day, the higher the travel discount percentage?

The amount varies by overall cost and cruise line.

To me though it is not just about direct savings. I know some TA's who provide savings but do very little other than that and some who provide a little less savings but do many other things and can also provide savings in other areas.

Keith

Interesting. If I'm reading this right, could one say that,

the higher the price/day, the higher the travel discount percentage?

The amount discounted depends on the cruise. We have gotten as much as 20% off some cruises, and as little as 3 or 4 percent on others. As we tend to sail is suites, we are usually in more expensive cabins. If we got 15 or more percent off a shorter cruise off a shorter cruise, then that would be notable.

My TA is always cheaper than "book direct" with the lines. Usually around 10%, but it varies from line to line. I tend to book a year or more in advance.

If I book a cruise onboard and turn it over to my TA, I see that immediate price drop, but of course, what really matters is what happens along the way to the final payment date. I usually catch price drops three or four times before the final payment is due. A good TA will help you cash in on those drops, as well as cancelling and rebooking when needed.

My TA also helps me move up in categories as the price falls after final payment.

Many people have a "book and forget strategy" which is good for both the cruise line and the TA. Neither will call you and let you know of price drops, so even with a great TA, you need to monitor your cruises' pricing.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

When we call our TA we have selected our itinerary, shop, and date.

Once in a while our TA will make us aware of an offer that we were not aware of. Sometimes on the same cruise line but more often on another cruise line. This has saved us money in the past. It is clearly not something that a cruise line employee would do. We view this as value add.

Savings compared to what....brochure rate? It's been years that the brochure rate is pure fiction and no one pays that. Once upon a time the brochure rate was what you paid, no matter who you booked through. If you find some agency offering some "this week only" special or a "we always have the best rate" deal, seems if you call any other agency, they'll match it and sometimes when you go to the lines website, their price is that price. Frequently if the price goes down after you've booked a agent will (and should) fight for you to get the lower price, and OBC's are almost always better when you book through an agent. Last year we cruised and the beverage package was included. The price of the cruise went down and the line said " you get either the lower price and no beverage package or pay the higher price and keep the beverage package". Our TA went through I don't know how many levels of supervisors and was adamant that we get the lower price and keep the beverage package. We/she prevailed.....wouldn't a' happened if we booked directly with the line. Problem is you first have to find a good TA!

Edited by marco

It's really hard to say because the agent may be saving you money simply by how they process the booking. As they get more experienced, they learn tricks or better approaches to their techniques. So while they may be giving you what they consider a normal fee, it could be a lot different from the next TA simply by their personal habits of working style. I know our TA doesn't always even mention everything she saves us because it hidden far in the details to appreciate.

Burt

Edited by Beachdude

There is no "easy" answer to this question because it can vary so widely. If a TA does a lot of cruise business, they may be able to add you to a group that they already have blocked on specific cruises. They can also handle all of the details for you including hotels, flights, transportation, trip insurance, shore excursions, etc. The can offer lower rates on trip insurance and shore excursions than the cruise lines do. In addition, they will automatically check the rates on your cruise at least once a week. If there is a rate drop, they will take care of contacting the cruise line to get you a refund, on board credit or an upgrade. They make sure you have the proper documents. Finally, they are someone you can contact in the event of any travel snags/problems, etc.

Before our first cruise together, my father did not trust my booking abilities, and went to an agent. The agent charged $25 per person additional, and they didn't get a Samsonite suitcase - this was the cruise line promotion.

This was the first and the last time my father used an agent.

I have used a TA on many occasions and not once have I found one that saved me a penny. OP should modify the poll to include that option.

You missed one option in your survey. Saved 0% when booking with our local TA. Don't use them anymore.

Yes, I see your point.

(Note: I can't change the original poll/post without forum admin help.)

I kinda made the assumption that if you chose the 1st option, this means that in your experience, you didn't find a TA that would remit any monetary benefits.

So, instead of,

I book directly with the Cruise Line Company. I don't use a Travel Agent.

you can infer it to mean,

I book directly with the Cruise Line Company. I don't use a Travel Agent (because they never saved me any money versus booking direct).

:)

Hard to put a dollar figure on it. Princess where she can discount it's usually around 8 - 10% unless she has a group and it's slightly more. Celebrity where you can't discount there's usually around 8% OBC. The part I can't put a dollar on is she's the top seller in her agency (Very large agency) for a lot of the lines. We've had issues that have been resolved very very much favourably and upgrades given that I'm not sure I could do on my own or with a less known agent.

You also forgot the to put the option of a TA that costs you money. I booked my first "big cruise" that I took this past fall (13 day meditteranean) through a travel agent recommended by a friend. There were price reductions along the way - all of which I discovered - and every time I called her to have her contact the cruise line to take advantage of the price reduction she charged me $100 (there were three such phone calls). If I had booked direct myself, I would have saved more than $1100. After paying her, I only saved about $800 - and mind you, I was always the one noting the price decreases. She kept saying, wait until before you go and you'll see the value of our services. I had to register my self on line, order my own luggage tags - she didn't even assist with "what to pack" advise, etc. (thank goodness for cruise critic!) The recommendations she made for shore excursion companies we among the highest priced on the internet. I would never "go looking" for a travel agent, especially if you're somewhat comfortable doing it yourself. But if you do, make sure you ask if they charge you to make changes when there's a price reduction. Many don't.

My sister is my agent. She is a very good agent but I usually do my own shopping, book through the line then transfer the business to her. Her staff is really good about watching for upgrades, deals and price drops. The biggest advantage is that she can advocate for a room upgrade more effectively than me