So our cruise is next week...

Moriah

Way back many moons ago… I decided to book a mother-daughter cruise. My 25 year old daughter's first cruise ever. NA over Thanksgiving week. Got a good deal on an ocean view with some promotion – can’t remember what it’s called but it includes free gratuities, a drink card, and some OBC. Anyway, booked way in advance. All set. Excited. Then, last month, some kind of ill-conceived logic drove me to invite my Mom along and make it a three generation girls’ cruise. Good idea, right? Except I live several states away from Mom and my daughter lives even further away and our flights were already booked and paid for and I meet my daughter in FLL the day before the cruise. Since Mom can’t fly alone (at 85 she is in good physical condition, no real mobility issues, but her memory fails often and she gets anxious and confused, but I digress), we invited my 19 year old nephew along as well. the plan being that he would fly down with her and also we’d get some nice cousin bonding and adventure time, and all in all it sounded great and everyone was excited. I booked a Neptune Suite for Mom right near the Neptune lounge, and moved my own booking to join her in that suite, and put my nephew into the ocean view with my daughter. (If you are following this, you are my new best friend!) I knew that in reality this would change the cruise... in that when in port the kids would go do fun things, and I would either hang out with Mom on the ship or coax her onto a beach and hang out there... but I digress... So a few days after I made all these changes and additions to our booking, my TA called – HAL was offering an up-sell on the kids’ cabin to a veranda for only $79 per person. I knew they didn’t actually need the veranda but what attracted me to this deal was we could choose a cabin much closer to the suite Mom and I were in so the kids wouldn’t be so far away (our original cabin was the furthest forward OV on the ship) So I took the up-sell and got them a midships deck 5 veranda. So now, the “extra” money that’s been put in to this cruise includes the Neptune Suite for two of course with no promotions whatever so close to sailing, plus the up-sell (albeit IMO a very good deal) for the other cabin.

So… fast forward until 2 weeks before the cruise. Uh-oh!! Yup… ding ding ding….

Well, I won’t bore you with all the reasons (I’m not sure I have them straight myself) but the upshot is – no Mom and no nephew will be going on the cruise!! (Again, long story)

So…. We now have just me and my daughter again. Back to square one. But… not quite!!

Some of you experienced HAL cruisers know what’s coming… It is too late to put someone else on the booking and just change the names. Mom and nephew would have to cancel, but they would get no money back except port charges and taxes, and the new person/people would still have to pay for their own booking. And… we really don’t have any takers right now anyway – people all have Thanksgiving plans and what not. So anyway, now the situation is - my TA says they may as well just be “no-shows”, get their port fees and taxes back, and take the loss. I do have trip insurance, but it does not seem to cover “I changed my mind” (nephew), nor does it cover pre-existing medical conditions (Mom)… My lawyer brother says he’s going to look over the policy and see if there is any way we can make it work, but if it doesn’t, you know what? It’s only money. Digression: my Dad passed away the night before Thanksgiving (in ’99) and we’ll be toasting him on the ship and celebrating his life! One of the things he always used to say is “It’s only money”…. and of course that’s true, but it still stings a little to have paid thousands of extra dollars for no reason… Okay, so back to the story which will actually end up with my asking you wonderful CC’ers some questions!

So next week my daughter and I will board the NA with the situation being that I am booked in a Neptune Suite(by myself since Mom will be a no-show), and daughter is booked in a veranda cabin (by herself since her cousin will be a no-show).

Please, please, people, don’t suggest ways we can cancel or bring other people, or whatever, trust me I’ve been all over that around and around and I have an excellent TA that has tried to make it happen and explored all the possibilities. It’s too late, and I’m resigned to the fact that Mom and nephew will be “no-shows” and we have nobody else going with us.

So my main question:

Can my daughter get a key to my suite and also use the Neptune Lounge in place of Mom? I realize that even though I paid for two bookings on the suite, it reverts to a “single” when there is a no-show, so technically, no, but does anyone have any experience where their family member from another booking was allowed into the lounge?

Actually what we’d really like to do is just not use that veranda cabin (I know, such a waste!) and both be in the suite. However, my daughter has a different booking number than mine (I made a new booking for Mom, moved mine to that one… so now that’s the situation) – will they allow me to move her to the suite when we check in at the port?

Thanks for reading! Even with all this, I’m very excited about my first cruise on NA. I’ve been on Eurodam several times so pretty much know what to expect, but still it’s exciting. Unrelated to the above, when we get on board I’m rushing to the lounge to ask the concierge to grab us a retreat cabana for at least one of the sea days….:):D:) Oh, and because of Mom I had booked a cabana on HMC as well! LOL, well, my daughter's first cruise, instead of being that budget-cruise I originally planned, is going to be with all the frills! That's a good thing. :cool: And an extra cabin (a ridiculous thing, but that's life)...:p

I am so sorry your plans didn't work out the way you wanted them to. If your daughter is on a separate booking, she's in the Verandah cabin and can't use the NL. But you can definitely get her a key to get in and out of your NS. There was a recent thread about a family group moving people around once they were on board. It seems like your daughter could stay in the NS with you, but her key would be only that--a key to get into the room. She would have to use the veranda key for any charges she wants to make on board.

Since it's too late to get HAL to change anything, I'd try on board. The people at check-in have NO power to help you, so just check yourselves in. Take all your reservation confirmations with you and go to the Neptune Lounge concierge to explain the problem and ask if, because you've paid for four people, and only two are there, could they please give her access to the lounge (and maybe the suite breakfast). Maybe ask to speak to the hotel manager. Considering the limitations on rebooking or taking someone else in the place of your mother and nephew, it would be nice if HAL would give that concession to thank you for all the money you've "donated" to them.

If your daughter can't use the NL, you can take goodies back to your cabin to enjoy on your nice big balcony.

I have to add, despite the sad story, it made me smile when you said "It's only money." My Dad used to say that, too.

Once you are checked in and onboard nobody really cares where your daughter spends her time or where she sleeps. I'm quite sure that you can get another room key for her at the customer service desk. I have my doubts that she will be able to use the Neptune Lounge, but someone else will have that answer for you. I hope that you will leave gratuities for the room steward of the unused balcony stateroom.

Since you have researched all your options, I won't give you any advice on how to fill that unused stateroom. I'm sure you and your daughter will have a wonderful trip together!

At least as important as access to the Neptune Lounge is access to the suites only breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.

Hopefully, a discrete conversation with the Concierge and the matre'd can solve those.

I actually had forgotten about that! Does this mean that Neptune Suite guests are not allowed to bring a family member from another room into the PG breakfast? I seem to remember we had brought "guests" to breakfast in the past, but perhaps not...

I am so sorry your plans didn't work out the way you wanted them to. If your daughter is on a separate booking, she's in the Verandah cabin and can't use the NL. But you can definitely get her a key to get in and out of your NS. There was a recent thread about a family group moving people around once they were on board. It seems like your daughter could stay in the NS with you, but her key would be only that--a key to get into the room. She would have to use the veranda key for any charges she wants to make on board.

Since it's too late to get HAL to change anything, I'd try on board. The people at check-in have NO power to help you, so just check yourselves in. Take all your reservation confirmations with you and go to the Neptune Lounge concierge to explain the problem and ask if, because you've paid for four people, and only two are there, could they please give her access to the lounge (and maybe the suite breakfast). Maybe ask to speak to the hotel manager. Considering the limitations on rebooking or taking someone else in the place of your mother and nephew, it would be nice if HAL would give that concession to thank you for all the money you've "donated" to them.

If your daughter can't use the NL, you can take goodies back to your cabin to enjoy on your nice big balcony.

I have to add, despite the sad story, it made me smile when you said "It's only money." My Dad used to say that, too.

Thank you so much. This is great advice and information! I was not aware that the check-in people have no power, but it makes complete sense of course. So I think I"ll do as you advised and just tell them at check-in about the no-shows, check in as "singles" and then on board ask the Concierges in the lounge what can be done. (Maybe my Dad and yours were friends!) :)

Edited by Moriah

Thank you so much. This is great advice and information! I was not aware that the check-in people have no power, but it makes complete sense of course. So I think I"ll do as you advised and just tell them at check-in about the no-shows, check in as "singles" and then on board ask the Concierges in the lounge what can be done. (Maybe my Dad and yours were friends!) :)

I would wait to mention the no shows until just before sailing. Mention that they had other travel arrangements. Just before sailing you might get a call asking if the others will be trying to catch the ship later. Mention the no shows then.

I would wait to mention the no shows until just before sailing. Mention that they had other travel arrangements. Just before sailing you might get a call asking if the others will be trying to catch the ship later. Mention the no shows then.

Thank you but I'm not sure I understand what you are advising. I was just going to tell them when we check in that the others were no-shows, but it sounds like you are saying we should check in as if we still think Mom and nephew are going to show up later before we sail? I'm curious why you advise this?

This is a public internet forum. Read by many including HAL. It is posssibleOP NOTIFIED THEM of the cicumsances. I s uspect given the facts here it would bbe esxtremely easy with computer help to identify who is the cruiser and they may know bouot who is going and no andgthe hopes to get NLPRIVILEGES FOR A g uest ina cabin other th an catEgory NS.

Good Luck OP. What a confusing siTuation. Hope you have a great cruise.

Edited by sail7seas

I actually had forgotten about that! Does this mean that Neptune Suite guests are not allowed to bring a family member from another room into the PG breakfast? I seem to remember we had brought "guests" to breakfast in the past, but perhaps not...

I've not heard an instance where bringing guests to the PG breakfast was allowed. Just too easily abused.

Edited by RocketMan275

This is a public internet forum. Read by many including HAL. It is posssible p NOTIFIED THEM of the cicumsancesw. I suspect given the facts here it would bbe extremely easy with cxompuggter help to identify who is the cruiser and they may know qbouot who iws going and nogtt and the hopews to get NL PRIVILEGES FOR A g uest in a cabin other than N S.

This is a public internet forum. Read by many including HAL. It is posssible p NOTIFIED THEM of the cicumsancesw. I suspect given the facts here it would bbe extremely easy with cxompuggter help to identify who is the cruiser and they may know qbouot who iws going and nogtt and the hopews to get NL PRIVILEGES FOR A g uest in a cabin other than N S.

Sail, just to be clear, I'm not trying to get away with anything. I was hoping there was a precedent for someone on another booking being moved to the N.S. after check-in because of similar circumstances to mine. I doubt if someone at HAL is sufficiently alarmed by my situation to find my booking and make sure I don't commit some kind of abuse, which was not my intention anyway. I HAVE paid for 2 people in the suite which should give us NL privileges for two... but of course I'm aware that after the no-show and my booking reverting to a single that would no longer be true. Sometimes "pixie dust" happens, though. It's all good, so please don't worry. I'll be fine with whatever happens.

I think I would

A) Stick to the plan to have them be no-shows

but

B) Call HAL now and ask if your daughter and mom can switch rooms. If they want a reason, you can say that your daughter decided she was uncomfortable sharing a room with her cousin. So you and daughter in Neptune suite and nephew and mom in the verandah. All taken care of ahead of time.

I think I would

A) Stick to the plan to have them be no-shows

but

B) Call HAL now and ask if your daughter and mom can switch rooms. If they want a reason, you can say that your daughter decided she was uncomfortable sharing a room with her cousin. So you and daughter in Neptune suite and nephew and mom in the verandah. All taken care of ahead of time.

Wow, this is actually brilliant. But my TA already switched me from the room with my daughter onto the separate booking with my Mom. I think at this point they would balk at my going back and forth! Had our entire trip been less complicated and fraught with changes, I think your solution would have been the best. At this point, though, they will be no-shows and I'll be honest at check in and say I know they are not coming at this point (unless the person who posted that I should wait until just before sailing and as much as lie that I expected them to show would tell me why that is preferable?)

Anyway, my real question was about whether my daughter could effectively share the suite with me and have its privileges, but I think I'm to the point now where I'm just saying whatever happens is fine and we'll enjoy the cruise no matter what. Things happen, things change, as as any frequent traveling knows, you just have to roll with stuff, even when rules may seem arbitrary and pointless. :)

Okay, turns out that when I moved myself from the (what was then) OV room to the suite on the new booking with my Mom, HAL agreed (I think my TA orchestrated this) to also let me keep my package (beverage card, gratuities, etc. etc.) on the new booking even though that promotion was over. He (the TA) did jump through some hoops for me to get my nephew put on the booking with my daughter and me moved, with my perks, to the suite... now, just days before sailing, there is nothing more to be done. But it's okay. As I said, I'm resigned as far as the money part goes, but I do hope my daughter will get NL privileges and PG breakfasts after all we did pay. I'll update when we get home!

Sail, just to be clear, I'm not trying to get away with anything. I was hoping there was a precedent for someone on another booking being moved to the N.S. after check-in because of similar circumstances to mine. I doubt if someone at HAL is sufficiently alarmed by my situation to find my booking and make sure I don't commit some kind of abuse, which was not my intention anyway. I HAVE paid for 2 people in the suite which should give us NL privileges for two... but of course I'm aware that after the no-show and my booking reverting to a single that would no longer be true. Sometimes "pixie dust" happens, though. It's all good, so please don't worry. I'll be fine with whatever happens.

Hope you have a great cruise no matter how it plays out.

Wow, this is actually brilliant. But my TA already switched me from the room with my daughter onto the separate booking with my Mom. I think at this point they would balk at my going back and forth! Had our entire trip been less complicated and fraught with changes, I think your solution would have been the best. At this point, though, they will be no-shows and I'll be honest at check in and say I know they are not coming at this point (unless the person who posted that I should wait until just before sailing and as much as lie that I expected them to show would tell me why that is preferable?)

Anyway, my real question was about whether my daughter could effectively share the suite with me and have its privileges, but I think I'm to the point now where I'm just saying whatever happens is fine and we'll enjoy the cruise no matter what. Things happen, things change, as as any frequent traveling knows, you just have to roll with stuff, even when rules may seem arbitrary and pointless. :)

Here's my suggestion for what it's worth.... As soon as you get on the ship go to the front desk and ask to have you daughter and mother switched so that you daughter will be with you. I'm thinking that she then might qualify for the NS amenities. Just before sailing go back to the front desk and tell them that your mother and nephew are a no show. And just cancel their cabin. You won't get any money back but you will both be in the NS.

How does that sound? Do you think it might work? We often read here about pax changing the sleeping arrangements once they board. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Do you want to be in the same cabin or in separate cabins? If you want to be together, I suggest you have your travel agent try to transfer your daughter to your cabin and your mother to your daughter's cabin. That way you will both have the Neptune Suite benefits which I don't think they will give to your daughter if she is registered in a different cabin. Also this will avoid any issues of HAL trying to charge you both for a single supplement. I would definitely try to work it out before sailing. Of course, if you prefer to be in separate cabins and your daughter doesn't care about the suite benefits, then you can take your chances when you board.