Hand sanitizer not required anymore?

We just got off the Liberty of the Seas. We have been on several cruises and were pleased that they had someone at the door of dining areas reminding EVERY person to use hand sanitizer. On the Liberty they had a 'greeter' but he/she did not mention or have sanitizer. It was available, but only about half the people even noticed or used it.

This is especially worrisome on the Windjammer where every person touches the buffet utensils. I personally noticed one lady cough a raspy cough into her hand, then move to the buffet line, yuk.

Is this new to all ships?

We just got off the Liberty of the Seas. We have been on several cruises and were pleased that they had someone at the door of dining areas reminding EVERY person to use hand sanitizer. On the Liberty they had a 'greeter' but he/she did not mention or have sanitizer. It was available, but only about half the people even noticed or used it.

This is especially worrisome on the Windjammer where every person touches the buffet utensils. I personally noticed one lady cough a raspy cough into her hand, then move to the buffet line, yuk.

It's only mandatory when they had an issue on the immediately preceding or your current cruise, unfortunately. It was mandatory when we were on Liberty a couple of months ago, as the preceding cruise had an issue with gastrointestinal distress.

This is why we never eat at the windjammer! Some people are so nasty and do not know proper hygiene.

Improper hygiene can happen anywhere along the way, even in the dining room and specialty restaurants. Do you know how many people have touched your cutlery before you? The glass your drink came in? What about the salt and pepper shakers? And pulling out your chair? I think if we really knew, we'd never eat outside our own kitchen again, and even then it would be speculative.

Our last cruise we were chatting with a couple whose daughter was a researcher at the CDC. She had told her parents that the hand sanitizer was very ineffective. I don't know if that is true or not. I always use it and try to limit the things I touch. I haven't been ill yet, so I guess my turn is coming.

Let's assume the lady was required to use the hand sanitizer on her way into the WJ. Then she coughs into her hand before picking up the utensil. So how does the sanitizer help?

Sometimes I think I should bring disposable gloves to wear while I get my food & touch the utensils then take them off & use hand sanitizer but that's probably overdoing things...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have also considered bringing disposable plastic gloves to handle the utensils in windjammer. I wish they offered them at the entrance but they cost money and I can't see them going that way.

I personally have contracted the gestural intestinal bug twice. Not a fun way to spend two days of a vacation.

Our last cruise we were chatting with a couple whose daughter was a researcher at the CDC. She had told her parents that the hand sanitizer was very ineffective. I don't know if that is true or not. I always use it and try to limit the things I touch. I haven't been ill yet, so I guess my turn is coming.

Sanitizer kills good bacteria and isn't effective against all germs. It is overused and is not as good as washing your hands. It gives a false sense of clean.

Edited by BeachChik