An injury or illness on a cruise: what to expect?

Bery

Not to borrow trouble but what should we know to prepare (besides travel insurance) if the unexpected occurs on our upcoming cruise? I have read threads from cruisers who report receiving much support from Celebrity and those who report receiving inadequate assistance from Celebrity on ship and/or at foreign ports. We would like specific info from those with experiences which may help us and others.

I've only had to use the ship's physician once and it was fine and handled well. I did have the Cruisecare insurance but was required to pay for the service upfront. I was reimbursed from the insurance company when I got home and submitted the paperwork. I do remember talking to a passenger about her experience in Greece and she raved about the care she got and the way the ship took care of her, both in the hospital and getting her and her boyfriend home. They even paid for his hotel while she was in the hospital. We wouldn't go anywhere without it.

Not to borrow trouble but

what should we know to prepare (besides travel insurance) if the unexpected occurs on our upcoming cruise?

I have read threads from cruisers who report receiving much support from Celebrity and those who report receiving inadequate assistance from Celebrity on ship and/or at foreign ports.

We would like specific info from those with experiences which may help us and others.

Know that it is expensive to have medical assistance on a cruise.

...Learned from experience.

Edited by $hip$hape

Not to borrow trouble but what should we know to prepare (besides travel insurance) if the unexpected occurs on our upcoming cruise? I have read threads from cruisers who report receiving much support from Celebrity and those who report receiving inadequate assistance from Celebrity on ship and/or at foreign ports. We would like specific info from those with experiences which may help us and others.

My list.

1. Have good insurance

2.Call insurance ASAP if you see that doctor on board can not help you and you will need Hospital. And let your agent not cruise line to take care of you.

I had always been fortunate to have never needed the skills of the medical facility until fairly recently. Suffice it to say that I did not receive anything close to what would be called professional medical care. I am comforted to read of the contrasting experiences of others.

I had always been fortunate to have never needed the skills of the medical facility until fairly recently.

Suffice it to say that I did not receive anything close to what would be called professional medical care.

I am comforted to read of the contrasting experiences of others.

It's also comforting to know, that MOST pax that buy

MedjetAssist don't need it.:)

Edited by $hip$hape

Perhaps but many do not know that Medicare does not cover you out of country

Well, yes and no. I have my Medicare coverage through a private insurer. They cover me anywhere in the world for emergency services including air evacuation if required. I know, I had to use it once and they performed as advertised. 100% satisfied.

Recently I had to visit the ship doctor for the first time on any cruise - not for any major illness or accident but I contracted bronchitis/sinusitis and the OTC meds I brought with me were not adequate. As others said, it was not cheap but we will be reimbursed by our travel insurance company. Received the antibiotics I needed as well as other meds. As we had pre-purchased several shore excursions through Celebrity that I was not able to join, it was nice to learn that the ship doctor could authorize cancellation with full refund - I didn't even think to ask about that but the ship doctor volunteered the information. So even in my "minor" illness category, Celebrity receives 5 stars!

What we do:

Make sure we have good insurance that covers high medical costs, air ambulance to hospital or back home, coverage for a friend or family member flight and accommodation to get to you if hospitalized and offers a rep to deal with the hospital.

Keep the policy and emergency numbers in a folder. Also on our cell phones. Take a cell phone in ports.

Email a duplicate of our itinerary, insurance policy and phone numbers to a capable friend or relative who can contact the insurance company and make the calls if we are injured hospitalized or need assistance in dealing with the emergency.

Take a photo with my cell of the port agent info from the daily.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What we do:

Make sure we have good insurance that covers high medical costs, air ambulance to hospital or back home, coverage for a friend or family member flight and accommodation to get to you if hospitalized and offers a rep to deal with the hospital.

Keep the policy and emergency numbers in a folder. Also on our cell phones. Take a cell phone in ports.

Email a duplicate of our itinerary, insurance policy and phone numbers to a capable friend or relative who can contact the insurance company and make the calls if we are injured hospitalized or need assistance in dealing with the emergency.

Take a photo with my cell of the port agent info from the daily.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very similar to our steps, but with the addition of the bolded paragraph that we will now adopt. While we've shared our itinerary with family members, we've thought about the insurance. Great idea!

The one time DW had a medical emergency, we had to fly home mid-cruise. Celebrity's staff, medical and otherwise, were excellent in making everything as smooth as possible. For example, unlimited free telephone service to deal with insurance and airlines.

Of course, it might be both of us another time, and having all the related insurance information in the hands of our son would be invaluable. Thanks for the idea!

Several years ago came down with flu on Christmas cruise. Ships doc fixed me up great with lots of meds and recovered in only 3 days. Downside was $1,000+ bill for which I had no travel insurance. Learned my lesson and now carry a very reasonable Blue Cross annual cruise med policy with high evac coverage. Contracted bronchitis this April on Eclipse and received reimbursement check in less than two weeks.

Another time dw slipped on deck and broke her foot. No charge for medical there and received a free cruise for her pain and suffering (No, we didn't ask for compensation. They offered and we didn't say no).

Edited by Baron Barracuda

Celebrity is a company you hired to transport you from point A to B. They ARE NOT your mommy. Traveling internationally and all that entails is YOUR responsibility. Do your research on the ports you are going to and call several insurance companies to educate yourself on what they will or will not do in case of an emergency.

Well, yes and no. I have my Medicare coverage through a private insurer. They cover me anywhere in the world for emergency services including air evacuation if required. I know, I had to use it once and they performed as advertised. 100% satisfied.

I'm confused. I thought the government provided Medicare coverage?

Here's my list:

1. know ahead of time what your regular insurance will and will not cover when you travel *many people don't know)

2.Augment that insurance with travel insurance, if you deem it necessary

3. also investigate ahead of time what travel emergency benefits and assistance your credit card may offer (take that card with you!)

4. Note who is primary and who is secondary in terms of how claims should be filed.

5. Note the telephone numbers and hours of any help numbers associated with both insurance carriers and credit card help number if applicable

6. Note your travel agent's contact information

7. make three copies of all the medicines you are taking and any allergies you may have (one for yourself or companion and one to give to the shipboard doctor and one to give to the hospital if necessary)

8. keep your medicines all in one place and in a hand carrying case.

9. Take a baggie and put your emergency contacts and tel numbers, insurance contact numbers, 3 copies of your list of medicines, 3 copies of your insurance card (front and back) and two copies of your passport, and tape it to your medicine container (or if you don't take any, have these in a ready to go place that you or your companion can grab.)

10. If you have a health proxy, travel with 3 copies of that as well. (Everyone should have one).

11. Be prepared, if you visit the on board doctor to receive a high bill. You will have to pay and then submit the paperwork for reimbursement. Make sure the paperwork includes a diagnosis, diagnosis codes, and the cost as well as the contact information in the event your carrier needs additional information.

12. Some people repack their carry on tote with a change of clothes, sleep clothes, sweater, and the above...just in case and so that you or your companion can just grab and go. Worry about the rest later.

13. Make note of the port agent and telephone number and location, just in case. It should be on the ships' dailies.

As noted above by another poster, the doctor should be able to give you a pass on any shore excursions arranged through the ship so that you will be refunded. Make sure you have received the credit before you disembark if possible.

The telephone numbers you have pre-prepared should be able to assist you with any reservations, travel arrangements and/or other help that you might need.

One last thing.... if you need to be hospitalized, the hospital will generally want you to pay and then tell you they will file the claim and you will be reimbursed when you are being discharged. I do NOT make payment then. I tell them to file the paperwork and if I still owe anything after, I will pay it. Otherwise they are not incented to submit proper paperwork. Make sure you get copies of all the necessary paperwork for any insurance company, Especially if you are carrying a primary and secondary insurance.

Always leave a copy of all of the above, and your cruise line contact info and itinerary with someone not traveling with you. I always do so with my adult son.

This is what we do. When we board the ship we each share with each other where we have stowed the above and then knowing you are as prepared as possible....enjoy the cruise!! Chances are you will never need all of the above but it can be invaluable if

necessary.

Edited by Fish Lover

Yes they do but you can also get it through a private Medicare contractor, like I do. Works better than perfect. I hope this option is not removed as part of the new Administration.

One last thing.... if you need to be hospitalized, the hospital will generally want you to pay and then tell you they will file the claim and you will be reimbursed when you are being discharged. I do NOT make payment then. I tell them to file the paperwork and if I still owe anything after, I will pay it. Otherwise they are not incented to submit proper paperwork. Make sure you get copies of all the necessary paperwork for any insurance company, Especially if you are carrying a primary and secondary insurance.

Yes! foreign hospitals will usually require full payment at discharge by either cash or credit card, usually not check. With my one experience in a foreign hospital, I paid full amount with credit card at discharge and they gave me all the records in English and x-rays on the spot. I filed my own claim with my carrier when I returned home and received payment within two weeks after filing. I have an international 24 hour toll-free number for my carrier if any problems should arise. I carry my insurance card with me at all times.

Edited by El Crucero

I had a minor accident on Silhouette last spring, totally my own fault for being careless. i went to the medical centre and was pleasantly surprised to find that I was not charged for the visit because it was the result of an on board accident. I had to fill out a form and the safety officer came and took photos of the cabin and details of where I slipped. I had several calls to make sure I was OK, and that evening we had wine and strawberries delivered to the cabin.

Sheila

So there are some basic "rules" (with exceptions) on nearly all cruise ships. If your medical problem is relatively minor and can be treated aboard, the medical staff will give you excellent care (for a big price). If it is more then a simple problem or has the potential to become a big problem, they will often toss you ashore at the next port! The ship (and its shore agent) will arrange for you to get to a local hospital or physician...but then its pretty much your problem.

It gets even more interesting if you have a dental emergency. When DW broke a crown on the Ruby Princess (while cruising in Europe) we went to Guest Relations to ask if they could arrange for an emergency dental appointment at our next port (Queensferry). The Guest Relations folks told us they did not have a clue about dentists and called the Medical Center who told us that they had no idea where to go or who to see (they do have info on some ports where they send crew members to dentists). We finally went online, found a local Queensferry (port for Edinburgh) and called them with our cell phone (when close enough to shore to get cell coverage). They gave us an appointment and took care of DW's problem at a fraction of the cost of a US Dentist. But the ship's crew was absolutely useless in giving us help or advice :(.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

So there are some basic "rules" (with exceptions) on nearly all cruise ships. If your medical problem is relatively minor and can be treated aboard, the medical staff will give you excellent care (for a big price). If it is more then a simple problem or has the potential to become a big problem, they will often toss you ashore at the next port! The ship (and its shore agent) will arrange for you to get to a local hospital or physician...but then its pretty much your problem.

It gets even more interesting if you have a dental emergency. When DW broke a crown on the Ruby Princess (while cruising in Europe) we went to Guest Relations to ask if they could arrange for an emergency dental appointment at our next port (Queensferry). The Guest Relations folks told us they did not have a clue about dentists and called the Medical Center who told us that they had no idea where to go or who to see (they do have info on some ports where they send crew members to dentists). We finally went online, found a local Queensferry (port for Edinburgh) and called them with our cell phone (when close enough to shore to get cell coverage). They gave us an appointment and took care of DW's problem at a fraction of the cost of a US Dentist. But the ship's crew was absolutely useless in giving us help or advice :(.

Hank

What i don't understand is why you have any other expectations. You signed up for a cruise...you didn't rent a parent to take you on vacation. You are still responsible adults and need to be able to help yourselves in the event something goes awry (which you did,, congratulations), not expect someone else to care of things for you. The crew rotates between ships and itineraries. How can you possibly expect them to know all this detailed information about any specific port they go to?

Why do so many people seem to expect so much from a cruise line? Hotels, resorts, airlines etc are not expected to take on these burdens, why expect it from a cruise line. Is it because you sleep there? Wake up folks....when you board a ship they are not taking over custody of you and you are still responsible for yourselves.

What i don't understand is why you have any other expectations. You signed up for a cruise...you didn't rent a parent to take you on vacation. You are still responsible adults and need to be able to help yourselves in the event something goes awry (which you did,, congratulations), not expect someone else to care of things for you. The crew rotates between ships and itineraries. How can you possibly expect them to know all this detailed information about any specific port they go to?

Why do so many people seem to expect so much from a cruise line? Hotels, resorts, airlines etc are not expected to take on these burdens, why expect it from a cruise line. Is it because you sleep there? Wake up folks....when you board a ship they are not taking over custody of you and you are still responsible for yourselves.

Great questions/comments and we agree. Over the years we have heard folks blaming cruise lines for everything from high seas, rain, delays due to government authorities, etc. Personal responsibility has become something for others...but not for me? Not just cruisers, but many travelers want all kinds of "hand holding" but do not want to pay the high prices for luxury products that do a lot of handholding.

We do have some concerns about the quality of medical personnel on certain cruise lines. And even HAL has recently changed their policy regarding ship physicians. Up until recently, HAL used US or Canadian physicians who were generally board certified Emergency Physicians. Now, they have moved to foreign physicians which we suspect is done to minimize issues related to potential malpractice tort actions. And Standards of Medical Practice (SMPs) can and do vary around the world. And it is possible that a foreign physician (say from South Africa) is not familiar with certain drugs used in North America...which can also contribute to mistakes.

Hank

Coverage from Medicare is only good while physically in the USA.

Medicare Advantage Plans (which are an approved alternative to direct coverage from Medicare) often include emergency medical care while outside of the USA.

We do have some concerns about the quality of medical personnel on certain cruise lines. And even HAL has recently changed their policy regarding ship physicians. Up until recently, HAL used US or Canadian physicians who were generally board certified Emergency Physicians. Hank

I can't speak to HAL policies since our 1st cruise on that line will be in June 2017 but Celebrity has been employing foreign physicians for decades. I broke my arm in 2001 on Summit and the physician was from Columbia, who by the way handled my broken arm in record time and at a fraction of what it would have cost in a US emergency room....$300.....