Which Ship to spend 60 Days On

Life_Traveler

My wife and I are discussing trying to spend 60 days on a Carnival ship during the winter of 2017-2018. We have only done as much as 22 days currently and was wondering what it would be like to spend 60 days. If you could chose one Carnival ship to spend 60 days on which one would it be. I am not as concerned with the ports of call as we have seen most Caribbean ones anyway so looking for comfort of the ship and friendliness of the crew.

I am hoping if i book long enough in advance i can make sure my PVP gets each leg in the same cabin.

Man, I gotta give you credit for being adventurous. I dream of the day I can just live on a cruise ship. Gotta be cheaper than a nursing home. And if you tip the room stewards, I think they will service you better than a nursing home.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I would go with the Breeze. I like that ship the best so far of all the Carnival ships I have been on (see below).

But it is ported in Galveston right now I believe. Not much change in ports of call. I know, you said you don't care about that, but a little change from time to time would be nice.

I would look for a ship that does alternating ports, like eastern one week and southern the next, for example. Maybe even that for 4 weeks, and then get on another ship for the last 5 weeks. One move to another ship wouldn't be too bad. Would want to sail out of Miami so the change wouldn't be that bad.

Vista would be my second choice. There were so many things to do onboard, which sounds like that's what you are after anyway. Entertainment was good, food choices excellent and with the movie theater and other extra activities to help break up the extra time you have.

Serenity would be a must. Breeze, Vista both have it.

Now you got me talked into the Vista, now that I think about it more.

Can my wife and I join ya? She retires in Fall of 2019. Was thinking of doing something like that when she retires.

Edited by HawkIVette

My wife and I are discussing trying to spend 60 days on a Carnival ship during the winter of 2017-2018. We have only done as much as 22 days currently and was wondering what it would be like to spend 60 days. If you could chose one Carnival ship to spend 60 days on which one would it be. I am not as concerned with the ports of call as we have seen most Caribbean ones anyway so looking for comfort of the ship and friendliness of the crew.

I am hoping if i book long enough in advance i can make sure my PVP gets each leg in the same cabin.

This past winter we did 8 weeks on The Splendor. Loved every minute of it. This winter we will spend 8 weeks on The Breeze and winter of 2018 we will spend 8 weeks on The Freedom. We book the cheapest room we can find, make sure it's available all 8 weeks, keep watching for price drops and OBC and we own Carnival stock for additional OBC. It has become the best winter vacation.

Enjoy!

This past winter we did 8 weeks on The Splendor. Loved every minute of it. This winter we will spend 8 weeks on The Breeze and winter of 2018 we will spend 8 weeks on The Freedom. We book the cheapest room we can find, make sure it's available all 8 weeks, keep watching for price drops and OBC and we own Carnival stock for additional OBC. It has become the best winter vacation.

Enjoy!

which months do you chose to keep price under control?

We also are Stockholders and that will help also.

it just gets slow sitting in Florida for the winter in our motorhome and not doing much traveling. Looking to increase our excitement during the winter.

Why not stretch your wings and book something that will take you out of the (ho hum) Caribbean. Maybe a canal crossing or a Trans-Pacific and then through Asia?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why not stretch your wings and book something that will take you out of the (ho hum) Caribbean. Maybe a canal crossing or a Trans-Pacific and then through Asia?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i prefer to stay with Carnival as I dont have to pay for most of my Laundry. I have never tried another cruise line and really dont have any desire to at this time unless they take more away in the future from us. I dont cruise Carnival due to costs as that really doesn't play much into our decisions in the past but it might on a 60 day. We fell in love with carnival when some friends introduced us into cruises a few years ago.

As for a Trans-Pacific to Asia. Carnival doesn't do that currently that I am aware of. I am doing a Panama one this Feb but its a partial transit not a full thru. During the Winter there are not a lot of Re-positioning cruises from West to East or vice versa and the summer is out as we use that time to travel in our motorhome.

We have thought possibly of doing one out of Australia but not sure if my PVP can book those. I know you have to go to a different web page for those and even the future cruise desk on ships are not allowed to book those.

I don't think I could spend 60 days in a row on any one Carnival Ship, but I think its great that you are up for it. It should be an adventure for sure.

I think I would lean towards Vista or Breeze, bigger ships with more dining options, venues, and areas to spend time in. The other thing I would look at is a ship that has a change in itinerary during the time frame you are considering. Seems that might be more interesting than doing east loop, west loop, repeat 4 times each.

I think if you are going to be on for 60 days, any of the crews are going to get know you guys and take special care of you.

I would tell you to enjoy, but I already know you will.

I love cruising, but I would avoid 60 days on the same ship if I could mainly because the entertainment and ports of call would be monotonous. So I'd try to do week long B2Bs on 4 ships, maybe even taking a day off in a hotel after the 1st month to transition from the Sat-Sat cruises to the Sun-Sun cruises (good day to shop and change out some clothes).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nealstuber

Well, I think the Magic is the best, most comfortable ship I've been on, but.... If you look at the Splendor, it might have some cool places to go. You could start in December with a couple of Caribbean cruises, then on January 14, 2018 you could sail her from Miami to Long Beach thru the canal. Once in Long Beach you could do Mexico, and maybe a Hawaiian cruise. I haven't looked at actual itineraries, but I know it will do Mexico and Hawaii when it gets to Long Beach.

I'm guessing you could make 60 days work for you in several oceans and seas...

Bob

I would pick the Dream, we did 2 7 days B2B on her a year ago and loved it. They have the best shows and some great lounge acts. The crew is typical Carnival, awesome across the board. The Dream also has some interesting food choices including free Italian at lunch upstairs and a Tandori Grill.

Well, I think the Magic is the best, most comfortable ship I've been on, but.... If you look at the Splendor, it might have some cool places to go. You could start in December with a couple of Caribbean cruises, then on January 14, 2018 you could sail her from Miami to Long Beach thru the canal. Once in Long Beach you could do Mexico, and maybe a Hawaiian cruise. I haven't looked at actual itineraries, but I know it will do Mexico and Hawaii when it gets to Long Beach.

I'm guessing you could make 60 days work for you in several oceans and seas...

Bob

I think this is the best idea! My only worry is that the food would become monotonous, as would the entertainment.

I also like the Splendor canal Idea, but also want to break up to monotony of the same shows and food. So here's my plan:

Do 2 Glory cruises on the 2nd and 9th of December.

On the 16th hop off Glory on to Vista for the three 8/6/8 cruises through the holidays. This takes you to January 7, where you do one warm up cruise in the Carribean on the Splendor and then ride her through the Canal to Long Beach on the 14th.

An alternate plan would be to skip the Glory, Start cruising the 2nd week of December on the Vista then move to the Splendor a month later on January 7 and do one West Coast Cruise after the canal transit.

Edited by nealstuber

which months do you chose to keep price under control?

We also are Stockholders and that will help also.

it just gets slow sitting in Florida for the winter in our motorhome and not doing much traveling. Looking to increase our excitement during the winter.

Well, coming from Buffalo NY, and not liking winter or snow, we generally do something in early to mid December, come home for the holidays, then leave early to mid January for eight weeks, coming home in early March. By the time we get home, snow is pretty much finished.

I don't book them, my husband does. He watches for his best prices, but continually watches for price drops too.

He books - I pack (and I pack light). This past trip was the first time in many, many years that we checked in one bag at the airport, and still carried our four bags total onto the ship. My biggest concern was what to do with 16 Platinum/Diamond gifts. It all worked out and we had the best time.

Another poster suggested HAL or Princess. I'm not a fan of either line. They cater to a much older crowd, and I'm just not there yet.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll love it. Any cruise is what you make of it.

I think just based on the ships that i have been on that I would go with the Vista (A ship i haventyet been on) because evry ship has been more awesome the the one befor it. We started with fantasy class and ended up dream class and its always gotten better so why not.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Friends of ours always book the month of Feb for their cruises. They are from Canada and the airfare kills them so they book a whole month. Normally they stay on one ship for the whole month. Their next cruise they will split their cruise with 2 weeks on the Splendor and 2 weeks on the Conquest. Carnival will be taking their luggage off the ship and transferring it to the other ship and arranging all their transfers. If you decide to book on 2 different ships, have Carnival take care of all the transfers since you will be giving them a good portion of your money

Friends of ours always book the month of Feb for their cruises. They are from Canada and the airfare kills them so they book a whole month. Normally they stay on one ship for the whole month. Their next cruise they will split their cruise with 2 weeks on the Splendor and 2 weeks on the Conquest. Carnival will be taking their luggage off the ship and transferring it to the other ship and arranging all their transfers. If you decide to book on 2 different ships, have Carnival take care of all the transfers since you will be giving them a good portion of your money

Surprised that the would Transfer to FLL for Conquest when Glory is right there in Miami.