First time w/carry on only luggage question

tbmrt

We decided it would be easier to just use carry on luggage on our upcoming flight to cruise from St. Martin.

Just remembered the "limited liquids" rule. Can't imagine putting suntan lotion, shaving cream, etc into quart size bags.

I know many people fly with just carryon's. How do you deal with this? Shop for these things when you get to your destination??

The vast majority of individuals flying with only carry-ons are business travelers who will be gone for only a very few nights. What liquids they carry in the TSA required quart size bag are usually a bare minimum (e.g., no suntan lotion) purchased in travel sized. (<3 oz) containers or are transferred to small generic plastic bottles purchased at places like The Container Store.

In addition, do know that many flyers with carry-ons also have larger checked bags you don't see. In our case, we use very small under-the-seat sized "rollies" (for valuables, Rx, electronics, essential toiletries and a single minimalist change of clothes) and check our larger single 28" bag/person (we seldom do cruises that are <18 days). No fuss-no muss-no carting an obnoxious and obtrusive 19" carry-on all over the ship while you may have to wait for the cabin to be ready.

We decided it would be easier to just use carry on luggage on our upcoming flight to cruise from St. Martin.

Just remembered the "limited liquids" rule. Can't imagine putting suntan lotion, shaving cream, etc into quart size bags. .....?

Remember also that it is ONE quartsize bag per person.

There is no way you can bring enough 3.4 oz sunscreens for 2 adults in a carryon. You will just need to buy it at your destination.

An adult needs 1 full oz every 2 hours.....or after drying with a towel (it might be "waterproof", but it's not towel-proof!)

We can't get all of our "liquids" into 2 zip locks, either...so we do 1 checked bag....just makes life easier!

The drug stores usually have a section with travel size of most things

DH has a couple of shaving creme ones that will fit in the TSA baggie

Sunscreen buy at your destination

Edited by LHT28

If I need something more than what will fit in my Kippie Bag, I'll just buy it at my destination. Not a big deal for me. I've done that everywhere, from LA to Vancouver to Honolulu to San Juan to Rome to Barcelona...

Remember - just because you have a carryon-size bag does not mean you must carry it on. I've checked my 22"er before if I have connections and don't want to have to take it with me or I know it's a full flight and I don't want to partake in the "overhead scrum" onboard.

People with carryons may be just that - some have become accustomed to packing "small" regardless of the journey ;)

There is a fair sized grocery - general store just north of the cruise terminal in Phillipsburg - Sang's Super Center - which carries stuff like sun block, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. it's on an unpronounceable road between the terminal and town. If you are spending the night on the island before you sail, I am sure your hotel clerk can suggest alternatives.

Just remembered the "limited liquids" rule. Can't imagine putting suntan lotion, shaving cream, etc into quart size bags.

I know many people fly with just carryon's. How do you deal with this? Shop for these things when you get to your destination??

Shave cream comes in sample sizes that last a couple weeks. Suntan lotion can be found in 3 ounce tubes or sticks or just buy it when you get there. Seriously, you are going to be gone for what, a week? Maybe 10 days? How much stuff do you think you need?

Current contents of my not full 3-1-1 bag:

2 ounce bottle of hairspray

1 ounce tube of hand cream x3 (not sure how/why that is all in there)

1 ounce bottle cleansing oil/make up remover (I only use for "leftover" eye makeup if I need to

2 ounce hair styling creme

1 ounce facial cleanser

.5 ounce body oil

Travel toothpaste

1 ounce each shampoo & conditioner

.5 ounce face cream X2 (one with and one w/o SPF)

.1 ounce eye cream

.14 face oil X2

.17 ounce eye-de puffer

I could easily fit two 3 ounce tubes of sunscreen with no problem. This would all take me easily through a week's vacation with leftovers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The vast majority of individuals flying with only carry-ons are business travelers who will be gone for only a very few nights. What liquids they carry in the TSA required quart size bag are usually a bare minimum (e.g., no suntan lotion) purchased in travel sized. (<3 oz) containers or are transferred to small generic plastic bottles purchased at places like The Container Store.

In addition, do know that many flyers with carry-ons also have larger checked bags you don't see. In our case, we use very small under-the-seat sized "rollies" (for valuables, Rx, electronics, essential toiletries and a single minimalist change of clothes) and check our larger single 28" bag/person (we seldom do cruises that are <18 days). No fuss-no muss-no carting an obnoxious and obtrusive 19" carry-on all over the ship while you may have to wait for the cabin to be ready.

My business trips are often a full week. My next business trips are 8, 3, 8, 11, 4, and 6 nights.

The last three cruises I have been on (not including the second week of a B2B in the same cabin) our cabin was ready when we boarded.

we fly with only carry on luggage and have found that Costco carries a multi pak of sunscreen. I"m not sure if I can mention the brand on here so I will just suggest you go look. The brand I have consists of three squeeze containers which fit nicely into the TSA bag allowance for liquids. I have used this many times. I can fit three sunscreen in one and three insect repellent in the other. I still have room for a small toothpaste, cortisone cream and antibiotic cream. I just keep the bags ready for any vacation we take. I have done this for several years now and it works great. You can fit three @ 3.2 oz packages in each bag remember, It's not 3.4 oz in total, its what fits in the bag and must come in under 100ml or 3.4 oz per bag.

Hope this helps

Shave cream comes in sample sizes that last a couple weeks. Suntan lotion can be found in 3 ounce tubes or sticks or just buy it when you get there. Seriously, you are going to be gone for what, a week? Maybe 10 days? How much stuff do you think you need?

Current contents of my not full 3-1-1 bag:

2 ounce bottle of hairspray

1 ounce tube of hand cream x3 (not sure how/why that is all in there)

1 ounce bottle cleansing oil/make up remover (I only use for "leftover" eye makeup if I need to

2 ounce hair styling creme

1 ounce facial cleanser

.5 ounce body oil

Travel toothpaste

1 ounce each shampoo & conditioner

.5 ounce face cream X2 (one with and one w/o SPF)

.1 ounce eye cream

.14 face oil X2

.17 ounce eye-de puffer

I could easily fit two 3 ounce tubes of sunscreen with no problem. This would all take me easily through a week's vacation with leftovers.

I agree. I take my limits for liquids but never use them all. I have them just in case because I don't want to pay a fortune in port and I'm allergic to most creams.

We have found that using a carry on only really is much nicer than waiting at the airport for your luggage and hoping that it didn't get lost.

Rolling your clothes also helps to prevent wrinkles and you can put socks and undergarments in your shoes to use the space wisely. We also take a small backpack as our personal item each and this contains our flip flops, goggles, etc. I place my purse in the backpack and take it out when I"m on the ship. I use a very small across the body purse that holds my passport, my phone, my money and my credit cards so it stores nicely.

The ships almost always have shampoo, conditioner and body lotion but sometimes I bring my own little pill bottle full of conditioner just in case the scent of the ones they supply is too much for me to handle.

we fly with only carry on luggage and have found that Costco carries a multi pak of sunscreen. I"m not sure if I can mention the brand on here so I will just suggest you go look. The brand I have consists of three squeeze containers which fit nicely into the TSA bag allowance for liquids. I have used this many times. I can fit three sunscreen in one and three insect repellent in the other. I still have room for a small toothpaste, cortisone cream and antibiotic cream. I just keep the bags ready for any vacation we take. I have done this for several years now and it works great. You can fit three @ 3.2 oz packages in each bag remember, It's not 3.4 oz in total, its what fits in the bag and must come in under 100ml or 3.4 oz per bag.

Hope this helps

FYI, medications don't need to go into 3-1-1 bags. Typically they ask that you put them into clear plastic bags so they can glance at them quickly, but they aren't part of the allowance when traveling in the US, Canada, and the Caribbean. :)

I fly and cruise with just carry-ons. I'm a guy, so I don't need many of the liquids women feel they need to carry. And I have a natural tan :), so I don't use suntan lotion. That makes packing that quart bag pretty easy - just anti-perspirant, toothpaste, and (maybe) shaving cream. They do make TSA-friendly bottles of shaving cream for men; I assume it's the same for ladies.

If I find that I've forgotten something, then I'll buy it where I go or do without.

I fly and cruise with just carry-ons. I'm a guy, so I don't need many of the liquids women feel they need to carry. And I have a natural tan :), so I don't use suntan lotion. That makes packing that quart bag pretty easy - just anti-perspirant, toothpaste, and (maybe) shaving cream. They do make TSA-friendly bottles of shaving cream for men; I assume it's the same for ladies.

If I find that I've forgotten something, then I'll buy it where I go or do without.

Remember, the suntan lotion is to protect you from sunburn and possibly CANCER. ALL SKIN COLORS are subject to melanoma due to sun exposure... I know it's a guy thing to not want to slap on the sunscreen ;)

And, not all women feel the need to bring a large quantity of lotions and potions...

I pack foil packets of sun screen and bug repellent wipes. Don't need to put them in the quart baggie. If I need more, I buy it along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

True, wipes do not need to be in the 3-1-1 bag. I haven't seen sunscreen in a wipe form. I have seen packets of it, but those do need to be in the 3-1-1.

Our thoughts on this were....pay $25 per checked bag and have all the sunscreen etc we need, or.....travel with carry-on only and pay $10 at most [usually less] for sunscreen when we arrive at our destination.

We always fly in one day ahead of embarkation day, so I just make sure I book a hotel with a pharmacy or some such store within walking distance. I like to pick up a case of diet Pepsi also, since our preferred cruise line Carnival only sells Coke products.

My business trips are often a full week. My next business trips are 8, 3, 8, 11, 4, and 6 nights.

The last three cruises I have been on (not including the second week of a B2B in the same cabin) our cabin was ready when we boarded.

Nonetheless, many many of the other "billion" business travelers leave and return over only one or more of the four nights in a regular M-F work week.

And then there are the commuter flyers.

I was one of them: Sacramento to LA with 3-5 nights in SoCal. BTW, I knew I had been doing it for too long when, on one Friday afternoon flight back north, the flight attendant waited until I plopped down into my regular seat and said: "Gin and tonic?"

Since the 80's travelling w/ 'Necessities' from home isn't needed. What CAN'T one buy now in Airports....or the Walmart in Cabo....or the local ASDA in the UK? Lugging 'stuff' around the world @$25 per bag is dumb, dumb, dumb. Passport, Credit Card and 1 teeny carry-on works well in 21st Century. LocoLoco1