Live from Koningsdam, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer, Nov 23-Dec 4

sppunk

Day 0 - Boat shopping along the intercoastal waterway

It's finally here. After a 18+ month wait, today is the day we get to officially start our Koningsdam vacation. Thank God.

It begin all too early at 0 dark 30. Our flight was at 10:30 a.m., which puts us at the perfect mass commute time along 83 and 695 in Baltimore. So we left extra early for cushion, which we needed. But we arrived at BWI with a stress-free hour to spare and the PreCheck line was clear of infidels (what I call the people that are waived in while not an authorized user).

A smooth flight provided a nice view of the North Carolina coastline.

IMG_5468.jpg

After landing, our friendly Uber driver in his pimped-out Chevy Cruz brought us to the Riverside Hotel. A beautiful property on the tree-lined Las Olas Blvd, it's also nestled along the riverwalk.

Our balcony view:

IMG_5472.jpg

While out for a walkabout, I almost bought this boat but decided against it due to it not coming with a free pair of slippers. Details matter, people.

IMG_5474.jpg

Dinner brought us to Rocco's Tacos, which I assume is an institution down here. It was pretty good - not great but good, though I'm from Texas originally so very picky (some might say snobbish) about my Tex-Mex. The tableside-made guac and the spicy guava margarita were on point however. More please!

IMG_5476.jpg

We ran over to CVS for a few last-minute items and are now chilling, watching Netflix and catching up on news.

Tomorrow is the big day - Koningsdam gets to finally meet me!

Lastlook, we will be dining at least once at Sel de Mer, indeed. .

More later. Goodnight for now from POA1ville.

Edited by sppunk

Spunk, I'm sorry to hear about all your pre vacay troubles. But I'm glad you are finally on your way. Enjoy your much needed vacation!

Can you tell us in which port you will be arriving in St. Thomas? We are on the Koningsdam for Christmas and have to make meeting arrangements with our private sail excursion. We were told that HAL may be using a different port than in the past.

Thanks and thanks again for posting.

Great pics - I love the no slippers with the boat ;).

I can tell that this is going to be a great thread :)

Will be watching for you at sail a way.

Bon Voyage!!! Have a WONDERFUL time!!!!

Hi, and thanks for your love review!!

Could you please find out on your cruise whether Royal Dutch and Indonesian Tea time are still offered? I have read something in another board that it isn't...

Since I am booked on Koningsdam I would really like to know. :)

I'd also be glad about menus and daily programs. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Look forward to following you on the Koningsdam, as we are thinking about a cruise in the new year.

May I ask how much the Uber was from the airport to your hotel.

Enjoy

$13.81.

It shows from here to Port Everglades at $7.65.

Edited by sppunk

Can you tell us in which port you will be arriving in St. Thomas? We are on the Koningsdam for Christmas and have to make meeting arrangements with our private sail excursion. We were told that HAL may be using a different port than in the past.

It looks like Koningsdam will be at Havensight on December 27th.

Edited by Boytjie

This thread is now as a shortcut on my desktop at work. I'll be boarding the Dec 4 cruise and am looking forward to reading your comments about the ship. After everything you went through, you definitely deserve a lovely cruise to de-stress. Happy sailing and happy Thanksgiving. I wonder if the Christmas decorations have been put up yet.

This thread is now as a shortcut on my desktop at work. I'll be boarding the Dec 4 cruise and am looking forward to reading your comments about the ship. After everything you went through, you definitely deserve a lovely cruise to de-stress. Happy sailing and happy Thanksgiving. I wonder if the Christmas decorations have been put up yet.

Captain Albert on his blog answered this question. 'no they won’t. We are not “shop keepers”. The Christmas decorations come on board around 06 Dec. or which ever date is closest after as they are not stored on board but in a central warehouse. We normally have them in place on board a week/ or a cruise/ before the Christmas cruise starts.' Dec 21, 2017 http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2016/11/21/21-nov-2016-mahogany-bay-roatanhonduras/

Hope this helps. Carole

Be forewarned, as the cruise goes on more and more folks discover the Dutch Café and it becomes very popular and hard to find a seat. Try it early in the trip!

Have a wonderful time!

That's my plan for lunch once onboard today actually!

Captain Albert on his blog answered this question. 'no they won’t. We are not “shop keepers”. The Christmas decorations come on board around 06 Dec. or which ever date is closest after as they are not stored on board but in a central warehouse. We normally have them in place on board a week/ or a cruise/ before the Christmas cruise starts.' Dec 21, 2017 http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2016/11/21/21-nov-2016-mahogany-bay-roatanhonduras/

Hope this helps. Carole

LOL. In the Toronto area, some stores had their Christmas decorations up just as soon as the Halloween ones came down and I'm sure most salespeople are already sick of the Christmas music.

LOL. In the Toronto area, some stores had their Christmas decorations up just as soon as the Halloween ones came down and I'm sure most salespeople are already sick of the Christmas music.

I just noticed that I messed up the date on the blog entry - it was supposed to be 21 Nov 2016 - good thing I put the web address there. :o

Same here in Florida with the holiday decorations - Oh, well.

a little hard to read the menu. Are the food items free? Do they change daily or is this a set menu?

The design makes them very tough to photograph. Food items are all free, no line at all today and fully operational.

Edited by sppunk