Live from Koningsdam, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer, Nov 23-Dec 4

sppunk

We just left the wonderful Kdam this am after the 10 day cruise.

Yes - Dutch Cafe - their almond paste cookies are AWESOME and folks were standing inline when they came out around 3pm each day. . In fact, I was just on the internet trying to find a recipe. Another yummy treat there is the big chocolate covered pastry that is filled with whipped cream concoction.

Culinary Arts Center dinners were GREAT!! Hope you make it to both menus.

So, I'll be follow your thread and be totally envious. We rarely left the boat either - it was all about the ship.

Enjoy every moment!

Great looking menus here! Thanks!

The menus do look good indeed.

I hope the OP will be sending all these wonderful pics to the #1 resource for all facts on HAL ;). Like I have to ask - LOL.

FWIW they just started boarding 4/5* Mariners at 11:50 a.m.

The delay was probably due to Customs/Immigration issues again, just like last Kdam cruise.

We got off as Expedited this am and Customs said (once again) that they were short handed. Sad because I think it was only Kdam and Pdam I'm port. We have iPhone and had previously downloaded the new app for quicker service through Customs. Then this am when we tried to sign on it to to do our Customs form on it, we could not get the process completed. Thank heavens hubby had brought our Global Traveler card so that we could take advantage of the shorter custom line. The Customs helper told us that it's best to show both your Global Entry card in addition to your iPhone checkin (if it worked) but that she thought Global Entry card worked faster.

did my eyes miss it or is there no cheese listed for the "build your own" pizza???

I wish they had more than the caprese sandwich choice for vegetarians, though. A nice roasted mixed veggie would have been good there...

They have cheese - lots of mozzarella for sure and they are generous with it. The pizza was yummy. The sandwiches were yummy. The panna cotta was really good. I liked the breakfast bagel sandwich. It was all good. I bet if you ask they'll try to figure something out for you. Or you could probably bring veggies up from salad bar or wok area and they'd fix you up. Just ask about options. The crew really do work hard and all with a smile.

Edited by beachdreaming
Add

Day 1: More bitterballen, please

Greetings from the the absolutely gorgeous Koningsdam. As my wife and I were walking around I said at one point, "This isn't the Rotterdam." Clean lines, no gaudy brass, hints of Delft blue and oranje. It finally feels like a Dutch ship. Hooray!

My wife and I had a leisurely breakfast at Starbucks before Ubering (is that a verb yet?) to the port. Our driver, a lovely older French man, got - um - a bit lost and we had a tour of the more commercial parts of Port Everglades. He was nice enough though and we eventually got to Pier 21 without incident.

Embarkation was somewhat delayed - it didn't begin until 11:45 a.m. and we, boarding group 13, were called at around 12:40 p.m.

We quickly made our way to our aft Visa Suite - I love the bed placement by the balcony btw, others here disagree - and settled in. Well, my wife did. I didn't receive my luggage. Around 7 p.m. I get a call from Copper John's counterpart here on Koningsdam and was asked to come to Deck 1 midship. Upon arrival my suitcase was on a table surrounded by 8 lovely HAL security staffers and other personnel. For some reason Port Everglades tagged my bag as having a travel iron inside - apparently those aren't allowed onboard.

Let's be honest here: I don't even know how to use a real iron, much less would I ever travel with one. I've never ironed anything in my life, and never will. I gladly pay people to do these tasks I find otherwise deplorable. :)

After a brief inspection I was off with apologies. No biggie, they were just doing their job.

Before the suitcase debacle, we had lunch in the new Lido Marketplace. The wife had a salad, I had some seafood red curry, fried rice and two scoops of vanilla covered in caramel. I'm clearly the more dedicated dieter.

The Lido Marketplace is a big improvement IMO. Much wider corridors, table service, nicer hardware. The design is attractive and open. Thumbs up!

We wandered a bit and then quickly it was time for the muster drill. As always, in the event of a real emergency we will all die. :) But at least here we were able to play along while sitting comfortably in the dining room - everyone even had their key cards scanned upon entry. No yelling room numbers through a megaphone in 100 degree heat. Progress! Yea!

Afterward I was hungry again (I got exhausted sitting at a table in the dining room, what can I say?) so went to the Dutch Cafe.

OH MY GOD I AM IN LOVE. WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE?

I had a Dutch beer which I can't pronounce, an almond cookie and the afternoon sampler (spring rolls, bitterballen and cheese soufflés. SO VERY GOOD. HAL should just turn an entire restaurant into this concept and set up ACH withdraws from my checking account.

After killing some time wandering more, unpacking after the suitcase debacle, we relaxed in the room and read on our balcony. Reading on my balcony at night while listening to the ocean is God's way of telling me he loves me.

Now it's nearing 8:15 p.m. this almost time for dinner so I'm off!

That's all tonight from the beautiful Koningsdam. More later.

The delay was probably due to Customs/Immigration issues again, just like last Kdam cruise.

We got off as Expedited this am and Customs said (once again) that they were short handed. Sad because I think it was only Kdam and Pdam I'm port. We have iPhone and had previously downloaded the new app for quicker service through Customs. Then this am when we tried to sign on it to to do our Customs form on it, we could not get the process completed. Thank heavens hubby had brought our Global Traveler card so that we could take advantage of the shorter custom line. The Customs helper told us that it's best to show both your Global Entry card in addition to your iPhone checkin (if it worked) but that she thought Global Entry card worked faster.

For those using the mobile app, I found that you need to disconnect from the ship's wifi for it to work. It needs to talk to its server, but the ship's wifi prevents that from happening.

Mark

For those using the mobile app, I found that you need to disconnect from the ship's wifi for it to work. It needs to talk to its server, but the ship's wifi prevents that from happening.

Mark

Great tip. Hope that helps others. We tried that without success this am.

Still waiting for our Global Entry cards that were approved in September!

Sent from my XT1064 using Forums mobile app

This ship sounds like a foodie's delight. It me 3 months to lose 10 pounds in advance of my Dec 4 cruise but I have a feeling it will take only 10 days to put them back on. :D I cannot wait to sample the Dutch Café and Gelato bar.