Roll Call and Privacy Concerns

kura

Are there rules in place to prevent anyone from displaying personal information on a public forum such as a Roll Call?

I have some real concerns about the amount of information that is both requested and then displayed on roll calls. I know I do not have to submit information ...and I don't. A current roll call at the moment has a PDF file attached with all the members of the roll calls full name, home town, email and cabin number. From this information it is very easy to locate their exact address and phone number in a telephone directory on line......I know because I tried it with the Australians on the list to see what came up!

My greatest concern is that this information is available on a public forum.....and it is virtually an advertisement to show any one when your home is unoccupied....as the dates of the cruise are on the Roll Call. I wonder if the people who supplied this information realised that this was to be displayed on a public board? Roll Calls are not private and limited to only those on that particular cruise.....anyone can access them.

I am sure the organiser meant no harm and probably did not have sufficient knowledge of internet safety.

I would be extremely angry if my information was displayed on a public forum....and it is for this reason I will no longer even attend a meet and greet as it seems that if you want to attend you have to provide too many details.

Are there rules in place to prevent anyone from displaying personal information on a public forum such as a Roll Call?

I have some real concerns about the amount of information that is both requested and then displayed on roll calls. I know I do not have to submit information ...and I don't. A current roll call at the moment has a PDF file attached with all the members of the roll calls full name, home town, email and cabin number. From this information it is very easy to locate their exact address and phone number in a telephone directory on line......I know because I tried it with the Australians on the list to see what came up!

My greatest concern is that this information is available on a public forum.....and it is virtually an advertisement to show any one when your home is unoccupied....as the dates of the cruise are on the Roll Call. I wonder if the people who supplied this information realised that this was to be displayed on a public board? Roll Calls are not private and limited to only those on that particular cruise.....anyone can access them.

I am sure the organiser meant no harm and probably did not have sufficient knowledge of internet safety.

I would be extremely angry if my information was displayed on a public forum....and it is for this reason I will no longer even attend a meet and greet as it seems that if you want to attend you have to provide too many details.

Normally roll calls do not ask for detailed information (although some do of course). I do not mind providing first names and the state we are from.

If you are not comfortable providing information to the roll call, don't. You can always just use your CC name if needed.

Also, you can still drop by the meet & greet, even if you have not signed up for it - this happens at every Meet & Greet I have been to and the people are always welcomed. so do not avoid it.

The real reason for the roll call signup is so that the organizer and HAL know approximately how many people to set up for. Some people are no shows and some just drop in, so it evens out.

Please come to the Meet & Greets - they are normally alot of fun and you may meet some very interesting people and further may even learn a thing or two.

Edited by DaveOKC

I do spread sheets for our cruises too and have organized a number of meet and greets.

First of all, there is no need to give any information that you are uncomfortable with.

For our roll calls, I only list first names, general areas where they are from (where they want indicated) and in rare cases, stateroom numbers IF people ask for it. Giving out the stateroom number is completely voluntary and NO ONE has to do it. I usually leave it off, but I was requested on our roll call to add it to the Who's Who page so I did. I made it clear that it was not required to provide this information though.

When I organize meet and greets and/or private tours, I do ask people to email me with their real names and cabin numbers so I can get invites to them, reach them if there is a change in a tour, etc. That list is COMPLETELY CONFIDENTIAL. I will not even share emails without the permission of the recipients.

I am sure whoever organized the spread sheet meant no harm and haven't realized what they have done. (At least, I hope so).

But, that doesn't mean you can't go to the meet and greet. Just say you are not comfortable having the info there. But, do go to the meet and greet. We have met a lot of tremendous people by going to meet and greets. I consider us blessed with a lot of the "cruising friends" we have met. It would have never happened if we hadn't gone to the meet and greet.

Maybe at the meet and greet you can meet the spread sheet co-ordinator and suggest some changes be made for the future to protect everyone on the roll call?

spread sheets are a fabulous tool IF they are done right. The person who is doing yours went to work to do it and, I would think, would appreciate any input. I know I do for mine ;)

Edited by kazu

I don't know if there are any rules but you've raised an important question/issue. It seems there would be alternative ways to share this information with those participating if there is information that should be kept confidential. You may want to "Report" (red triangle in the upper right of your post) your post/question so that a moderator can respond. Kazu was posting at same time and she has some excellent information/suggestions.

Edited by qsuzi

I agree with the concerns of the OP. I only give out personal information if I know it is not going to be posted on the Cruise Critic Roll Call. For a cruise I am booked on, one person is compiling data which we send via email and then she sends those people the "book" she is compiling. Not everyone sends their information and that is OK too.

I always advise people NOT to give their last names on the roll call.

I post a list of participants with user name and first names ONLY. I keep a private sheet for myself with full names, emails and cabin numbers with participants on any tours organized by myself. This is NOT posted on the forum nor do I provide a link to it.

I long ago stopped indicating general place of residence (i.e. city, state or province) on the roll call listing ..... I keep it nice and simple.

I think you have a valid point regarding privacy issues. Perhaps ask the person in charge of the spreadsheet that you would like your last name, residence, cabin number and email removed from the listing - I would like to think they would comply with your request.

Edited by CJcruzer

I don't post any personal information anywhere.

I agree with the OP that some people do get carried away with posting too much information on the Roll Calls.

Like KK, I don't post any personal info on roll calls except for our first names which are actually the nicknames everyone calls us.

It always amazes me when folks give out their complete first & last names and their city. :rolleyes:

After posting my email address on roll calls I have received emails from tour operators in the various ports we will be visiting. This creeped me out enough that I also plan to keep it simple in the future. It made me realize (the obvious) that not just fellow cruisers are reading the roll calls.

Yes, OP, some posters are giving out too much private information on CC, and the Roll Calls are a prime area for this.

Like you, I am surprised when people post spreadsheets and pdf docs to CC containing private information. The Community Guidelines make clear: "Do not post details or private information about any other person.". So it would seem that these types of documents are a no no, yet they appear regularly on CC.

I agree with the concerns of the OP. I only give out personal information if I know it is not going to be posted on the Cruise Critic Roll Call. For a cruise I am booked on, one person is compiling data which we send via email and then she sends those people the "book" she is compiling. Not everyone sends their information and that is OK too.

Even this method concerns me. Anyone can sign up for a roll call and say they are going on a particular cruise, they then would have access to all this private information (and even pictures on some roll calls).

I don't join roll calls or give out information myself. I know people who ask for it mean no harm but it's chilling the lengths criminals will go to obtain private information. We don't need to help them get it.

Edited by Cruise NH

Your concerns are valid. But like everywhere in life, some assess this risk as acceptable. Perhaps they live in a high security location or they have someone living in their home. Who knows. But I have had people directly as where I live on CC and this creeps me out. I don't even post countdown clocks anymore.

To each their own. I don't have an issue with organizing spreadsheets if private information is kept private as Kazu stated.

Your concerns are valid. If you have initially offered, and now regret, giving your personal information, you can refer to the moderator your situation. The moderator may have options to address your concern.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Moderator??

Who would you consider to be the moderator..There are no moderators on roll calls unless you are talking about the Management of Cruise Critic which don't monitor roll calls..

They do post general things about giving too much info, but they certainly don't poklice these things..IMO the person who posted the personal info for all to see should be questioned..

When someone handles a roll call they should never post the info on the internet..

Moderator??

Who would you consider to be the moderator..There are no moderators on roll calls unless you are talking about the Management of Cruise Critic which don't monitor roll calls..

They do post general things about giving too much info, but they certainly don't poklice these things..IMO the person who posted the personal info for all to see should be questioned..

When someone handles a roll call they should never post the info on the internet..

Everyone can make a mistake and then regret it. The moderator, I think, is whomever responds to the red triangle. If you posted something and have second thoughts after 15 minutes you can red triangle the post and request that information be deleted.

Why would anyone be questioned for sharing on a public forum? Who should do the questioning? Just wondering how your idea would pan out. What I consider to be too much information may not phase another. Too subjective to be monitored IMO.

TOTALLY AGREE with your concerns about privacy!!

People who understand never attach a spreadsheet with personal info such as last names, locations, etc, or email addresses, but it is usually emailed directly to the participants. There is no way anyone should allow their last name or full location to be presented in this public forum.

Please know that the person who has displayed the information for your cruise is NOT the norm - and meet and greets can be great fun. Do know one needs to present HAL with the list of CC'ers complete with last name and cabin number (if available) for these meetings - but that should not be here.

If someone chooses to blab their life on social media - that is their choice, albeit - IMO - stupid. Just ask someone in a gated community who was burglarized while at their wedding which they talked about for weeks on social media. Having it here without permission is not the same.

Edited by take us away

Moderator??

Actually Betty, there are moderators on roll calls. They don't read all the posts of course as roll calls are usually without issue.

But, you can certainly red triangle a post if you have an issue with it. If someone gave out information and now regret it a red triangle would get the post deleted.

Host Walt takes care of the HAL roll calls. He has changed titles, merged roll calls, etc. For us on in the past ;)

Edited by kazu