taxis in Ft Lauderdale

smith6

We are sailing on the Equinox in Feb and have just been notified our flight has been moved earlier than originally booked. We are planning to walk off the ship with our luggage but how easy is it to access a taxi to the airport as we will be pressured for time.

We are sailing on the Equinox in Feb and have just been notified our flight has been moved earlier than originally booked. We are planning to walk off the ship with our luggage but how easy is it to access a taxi to the airport as we will be pressured for time.

There are cabs right outside the terminal dropping the next set of cruisers off. They are lined up, as they get out you get in. The airport is a short ride away. Easy to get to. Just check in on line while on the ship the day prior.

We are sailing Equinox in Feb too! ;)

There are indeed plenty of taxis right there, and maybe it's easier if you get off early, but we got off around 9:20 on a Sunday morning and the one taxi line was being inefficiently dealt with by the folks directing it. People were getting in line from two different directions from two different ships. It was chaos. We found out later when we took an Uber elsewhere that Uber drivers can pick up at the cruise terminal. Next time, we personally will do Uber.

We were off the ship early in FLL on Silhouette TA. There was a steady stream of Taxi's and we just walked up and go into a cab. It took no more than 15 minutes to get to the airport.

Cost, if I recall was $14.00 and gave the driver a $20 for handling the luggage etc.

while we got off much later...with the rest of the "herd"...the line was HUGE for the taxis...but the van sign said "5 passengers or more per group"...BUT...they were "lumping us" all together to get to the airport..and it was much quicker...might cost a bit more?...I think like $14 pp...but to us worth it not to stand in that long line...at that hour...it look endless!!!! LuAnn

I think the taxi situation is very variable and probably depends on the number of ships in port and the time you disembark. I disembarked in Fort Lauderdale in early November and it was a horrible mess. Since my plane was later, I did not disembark until around 9:30. I think I waited 30-45 minutes for a taxi. There were huge lines coming from two different ships and not nearly enough taxis to handle the load. Hopefully, you will have better luck. Ride to the airport was only 10 minutes.

Carolyn

I hate traveling in ft Lauderdale. We tried to get an uber today from the airport. Waited awhile and got a text the driver was too far away and he cancelled. Tried again and was asked if we were willing to pay a premium. Got in line for a taxi. Driver drove right past the hotel entrance even after I remarked"there's the hotel" . Meter racked up another$3. Paid the fare and told him the scenic tour caused him his tip. Not sure how we will get to the port tomorrow.

I think the taxi situation is very variable and probably depends on the number of ships in port and the time you disembark. I disembarked in Fort Lauderdale in early November and it was a horrible mess. Since my plane was later, I did not disembark until around 9:30. I think I waited 30-45 minutes for a taxi. There were huge lines coming from two different ships and not nearly enough taxis to handle the load. Hopefully, you will have better luck. Ride to the airport was only 10 minutes.

Carolyn

We were on the same ship as Dr G...

We walked off in the first group..right after suites walked off (surprise!), inside was disorganized but we cleared customs, and had no issues getting a taxi.,.We had early check in at our hotel and had time for the breakfast buffet & all morning at the pool the pool.

Things start to back up later it gets, so line up as early as you can for walk off....much earlier than ship advises.

while we got off much later...with the rest of the "herd"...the line was HUGE for the taxis...but the van sign said "5 passengers or more per group"...BUT...they were "lumping us" all together to get to the airport..and it was much quicker...might cost a bit more?...I think like $14 pp...but to us worth it not to stand in that long line...at that hour...it look endless!!!! LuAnn

We've also done this to the airport...worked well because we were the last 2 needed to fill the van...otherwise you have to wait til it's filled...

We were on the same ship as Dr G...

We walked off in the first group..right after suites walked off (surprise!), inside was disorganized but we cleared customs, and had no issues getting a taxi.,.We had early check in at our hotel and had time for the breakfast buffet & all morning at the pool the pool.

Things start to back up later it gets, so line up as early as you can for walk off....much earlier than ship advises.

sorry to railroad.. what hotel did you use?

I hate traveling in ft Lauderdale. We tried to get an uber today from the airport. Waited awhile and got a text the driver was too far away and he cancelled. Tried again and was asked if we were willing to pay a premium. Got in line for a taxi. Driver drove right past the hotel entrance even after I remarked"there's the hotel" . Meter racked up another$3. Paid the fare and told him the scenic tour caused him his tip. Not sure how we will get to the port tomorrow.

You should check if your hotel offers a free shuttle service. Many do if they are near airports. I would assume that they would do the same for cruise ports... It's worth an "ask". What could it hurt?

We disembarked Port Everglades a week ago.

6 ships in port (4 megas), biggest pax load in months and months.

Had a cab and at the airport in less than 20 minutes after clearing customs.

Walk off and you will have no problem.

sorry to railroad.. what hotel did you use?

Railroad ?

We stayed at Hilton Embassy suites..pre and post cruise...took a taxi to the hotel from the airport,.,

Used the hotel shuttle to port...had a pre paid time slot so no mass free for all getting a seat...& it worked very well getting through the port checkpoint..about 15 to 19 pp...cannot recall

We took a cab to the hotel post cruise...seemed more efficient than waiting for the hotel shuttle as cabs were right there...

Next day we used the hotel shuttle to the airport...worked out well.

Just off the Equinox Thanksgiving cruise and our flight was moved as well. It was 9:35 a.m. We walked off with our luggage -- be sure to line up 45 minutes earlier than they tell you -- and then make a hard left after you pass customs and there will be a line of cabs and vans. We grabbed the first one we found and we were at the airport at 7:50. We have TSA-PRE and so we were sitting in seats at the gate by 8:00 a.m. and had plenty of time. We were in our house by noon central time.

There are plenty of cabs and little vans. You do not need to line up anything ahead of time. But do try and be among the first to walk off. There may be a couple hundred doing that, so aiming for closer to the head of the line is the best bet. I stood with the suitcases and DH went and got a muffin for us at Cafe al Bacio and we ate that in line. In our case the meeting time was 7:30 but we were downstairs at 6:45 and were about 40th in line. They let us off the ship by 7:25 and we were out the door past customs 10 minutes later!

You should check if your hotel offers a free shuttle service. Many do if they are near airports. I would assume that they would do the same for cruise ports... It's worth an "ask". What could it hurt?

Our preferred hotel is closed for renovation. This one does not have a shuttle.

There will be plenty of taxis.