Anyone done ANTHEM without Dynamic dining

Taken from a cc news item posted today titled "Live From Ovation of the Seas: First Impressions"

Not so Dynamic Dining

It’s a shock to many passengers to find there is no main dining room. Instead there are four smaller restaurants -- The Grande, Chic, Silk, and American Icon -- which have the same menus. (Don’t worry, the menus change every day.) Passengers are assigned to one of these venues for dinner. Initially this system caused much chaos and confusion but it’s settled down now.

So, what happened? Earlier this year Royal Caribbean decided to drop Dynamic Dining, a program that previously promised would revolutionise the way people eat on cruise ships. Well, the revolution is over, comrades, and we have to admit we’re sad about it. For example, at American Icon Grill, the food isn’t New Orleans-inspired Southern-style; it’s just your usual American cruise line food. And yes, it’s exactly the same as you get in Silk (which isn’t Asian anymore), The Grande (which isn’t formal anymore) and Chic (which is chic in design only).

This revised new concept feels bizarre because the four restaurants have kept their names and decor but don’t serve the matching cuisine, so you’re eating cheeseburgers in Silk under red Chinese lanterns and wearing casual clothes in The Grande. You soon get used to it, though.

The other challenge is long queues to get seated, but this was largely caused by passengers not adhering to their set dining times. They would turn up when they felt like it, which is fair enough if you're hungry or have been attending a show; the problem is it throws out the system for everyone else. So when someone turns up on time, they may find all the tables are occupied, which led to waiting up to 30 minutes. As it's hard to force people to eat when they're told, the My Time Dining system is not working too well. We ended up going to the quieter specialty restaurants to avoid it some nights -- the hassle-free food was worth the surcharge.

Taken from a cc news item posted today titled "Live From Ovation of the Seas: First Impressions"

Not so Dynamic Dining

It’s a shock to many passengers to find there is no main dining room. Instead there are four smaller restaurants -- The Grande, Chic, Silk, and American Icon -- which have the same menus. (Don’t worry, the menus change every day.) Passengers are assigned to one of these venues for dinner. Initially this system caused much chaos and confusion but it’s settled down now.

So, what happened? Earlier this year Royal Caribbean decided to drop Dynamic Dining, a program that previously promised would revolutionise the way people eat on cruise ships. Well, the revolution is over, comrades, and we have to admit we’re sad about it. For example, at American Icon Grill, the food isn’t New Orleans-inspired Southern-style; it’s just your usual American cruise line food. And yes, it’s exactly the same as you get in Silk (which isn’t Asian anymore), The Grande (which isn’t formal anymore) and Chic (which is chic in design only).

This revised new concept feels bizarre because the four restaurants have kept their names and decor but don’t serve the matching cuisine, so you’re eating cheeseburgers in Silk under red Chinese lanterns and wearing casual clothes in The Grande. You soon get used to it, though.

The other challenge is long queues to get seated, but this was largely caused by passengers not adhering to their set dining times. They would turn up when they felt like it, which is fair enough if you're hungry or have been attending a show; the problem is it throws out the system for everyone else. So when someone turns up on time, they may find all the tables are occupied, which led to waiting up to 30 minutes. As it's hard to force people to eat when they're told, the My Time Dining system is not working too well. We ended up going to the quieter specialty restaurants to avoid it some nights -- the hassle-free food was worth the surcharge.

One of the main problems with DD was the lack of knowledge on Pax side in that they needed reservations. Many, that we spoke to, were not aware and wound up eating dinner in the WJ for the first few night until better arrangements could be made. I expressed this frustration in one of the surveys that RCL/TA should have provided education. Instead what we got was a lot of moaning/groaning and the elimination of a wonderful dining concept.

Chic and the grande restaurants are being used for classic, either 6 pm or 8:30. Silk and American icon are for my time dining.

RCI really needs to give Silk a makeover now that it's being used nightly for MTD pax, and not as an Asian themed restuarant. All that stereotyically red "American Chinese restaurant" decor is just too much. Ugh.

RCI really needs to give Silk a makeover now that it's being used nightly for MTD pax, and not as an Asian themed restuarant. All that stereotyically red "American Chinese restaurant" decor is just too much. Ugh.

I can deal with the "American Chinese restaurant" decor better than eating in a restaurant daily where there is a picture of the New York skyline. I go on cruises to escape my environment, not to face it.

Edited by Sanz

RCI really needs to give Silk a makeover now that it's being used nightly for MTD pax, and not as an Asian themed restuarant.

Harmony came off the assembly line only 6 months ago knowing it will not have DD and yet they still have three differently decorated levels (including Silk) of the MDR. ;)

When we sailed Anthem last Christmas, the DD concept was not one we loved, but I had made all of my reservations in advance so we were able to eat in a timely fashion. Having different cuisines in different restaurants made sense.

We've sailed Royal for years and frankly have the menus memorized at this point. Now that they've gotten rid of DD and each restaurant is just another version of MTD or traditional, maybe a décor makeover is necessary. I also agree that eating medallions of beef under a red Chinese lantern just doesn't quite make sense.

Harmony came off the assembly line only 6 months ago knowing it will not have DD and yet they still have three differently decorated levels (including Silk) of the MDR. ;)

Silk on the Harmony was not as intensely decorated with a Chinese theme as Silk on the Anthem. There was some entryway decor and a few tables with high backed red plush chairs, but the majority of the tables looked just like American Icon on the deck below.

One of the main problems with DD was the lack of knowledge on Pax side in that they needed reservations. Many, that we spoke to, were not aware and wound up eating dinner in the WJ for the first few night until better arrangements could be made. I expressed this frustration in one of the surveys that RCL/TA should have provided education. Instead what we got was a lot of moaning/groaning and the elimination of a wonderful dining concept.

I was on the Anthem in October. I liked the Dynamic idea, but I hated the implementation. We were fortunate to have the Dynamic Classic where we rotated, but from some friends we met who did not have classic, even with reservations, people were made to wait for their tables, some as much as 30 additional minutes. People who did not have reservations, were all relegated to eating at 5:30 or 9pm, which upset a lot of people. If more people made reservations, I don't think it would have made any difference because the prime dining hours of 6-8 would already be taken 90 days in advance and the rest of the the reservations. Some people I heard, felt they were trying to funnel people into the for fee restaurants with this model and felt a little cheated by it.

I think they designed the dining rooms too small to accommodate what they expected the demand for peak dining using dynamic dining method.

A little confused hopefully someone can answer this for me. I recently booked Anthem of the Sea and it was when they were doing away with Dynamic Dining. We always picked late dining when we cruise. We were told when we booked that the only MTD was available but we would be put on a waitlist for late dining. Well today I looked at my cruise planner and it now says Dynamic Dining Classic with a 8:15pm time. I would guess that we now have the late dining but why is Dynamic Dining still being used? I thought that as of the end of Nov. only MTD early and late seating are the choices on Anthem. Perhaps Royal needs to update their cruise planner. :confused:

A little confused hopefully someone can answer this for me. I recently booked Anthem of the Sea and it was when they were doing away with Dynamic Dining. We always picked late dining when we cruise. We were told when we booked that the only MTD was available but we would be put on a waitlist for late dining. Well today I looked at my cruise planner and it now says Dynamic Dining Classic with a 8:15pm time. I would guess that we now have the late dining but why is Dynamic Dining still being used? I thought that as of the end of Nov. only MTD early and late seating are the choices on Anthem. Perhaps Royal needs to update their cruise planner. :confused:

Sounds like someone needs to update their database regarding use of DD descriptor. Ship name might be Song of Norway; double check.

You got late traditional dining. They have not fixed their computer program yet to note the correct name of the dining assignment. DD Classic 8:15pm means Late Traditional. Welcome to the world of Royal IT.

Edited by clarea

• 3 weeks later...
Just booked the Anthem for March and our cruise planner shows:

"Dynamic Dining Classic lets you enjoy reserved seating and choose between two dining times in a preset lineup of restaurants. 05:30 PM"

Maybe word will get to the IT department by the time we cruise.

I would not count on it. The IT department has their hands full removing functionality from the booking part of the website.

To the poster who said that there were identically numbered tables in both restaurants, I will have to dispute your assertion. On our recent trip, Table numbers for Chic were 100 to 250 and Grande were 300 to 450;). They had signs in the lobby with the table number range and arrows pointing to the correct restuaurant.

BTW we were the first sailing without dynamic dining and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it went - I was expecting some snafus. But to be fair, it was the fifth night before we actually made it to the main dining room:D

Just off Anthem, we were assigned 5:30 classic in the Grande, they tried to include a selection from the other dinning rooms, but failed. Dinner went smoothly, but breakfast and lunch in the dining room was horrible, cold food, missed items, drinks not arriving until end of meal, uncooked french toast, etc. Communication is lacking, to say the least, and if you ask one person for something such as juice, they say it is not their job, you have to wait for the juice person to bring your juice. Too many tables for 2, we asked for a larger table, but was assigned a table for 2 within 1 foot of another table for 2. Luckily we had 2 charming ladies from NJ/Philly area. We did Jamies the 2nd night.

The lamb chops where great according to hubby, my penne carbonaro was lacking the smoky bacon flavor, the bacon was an after thought in the dish. Not impressed. The pork tacos which I had in March were horrible in this cruise. Almost broke a tooth on something very hard. They have resolved the luke warm dinners from my March cruise. We did the galley tour, not worth the money if you have to pay for it. There was a very slow meal included with ours after the tour. Any questions, about ship, em laseiber at hotmail. Let's just say my survey will not be kind. I know that a day on any cruise is better than a day at home. They need to get their act together on the Anthem.

Yes, only 7 different menus rather than 28 (4x7).

There weren't 28 menus with Dynamic Dining. Each restaurant had 3 different menus depending in the length of the cruise. It rotated every 4 nights. So there were 12 different menus.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if they were notified that dynamic dining had changed and now they were back to traditional or my time? We always choose Traditional Early seating , it's just our preference. We like same wait staff same table each evening. They have given us My TIME. And now 222 days out say that Traditional both times is closed without waitlist.

Anyways, my TA said she wasn't notified and I told her I was going to call RCCL to complain no one was notified. My question is if anyone was notified when this happened either yourself or TA? I'm about to call my TAs bluff, I think she was notified and dropped the ball!

:(

Thanks,

Steph

Edited by wv4dmb

I loved DD on Quantum and was looking forward to it on Anthem. When it got changed to normal Rccl dinning. I was wait listed for traditional dinning.

We always eat early. That way my teens can have dinner with us and then go hang out with friends. I am not a fan of the chaos early dinning with MTD is. If I am going to have the same menu no matter where I eat I want the same table wait staff ect.

After a few emails back and forth I basically told my TA that if he can not get us into early dinning I will just cancel. Since I am far from final payment and our cruise is not IMO a amazing deal nothing lost. Prices have been stable, when I look. Truthfully I might have looked at other options. Well he must have known because he got us into early traditional dinning.

So check the price of your cruise if its close to what you paid when nothing lost cancelling and rebooking with the dinning you want. But if you got a deal on your cruise or have to have a specific cabin might not be worth it.

Thanks for the response and input. I know it seems silly that this is important to us but it is. She is contacting them herself today , someone else in her office contacted them previously. So I guess I will see what she can find out. I've never done MY TIME, but I'm sure it is chaotic. I like the routine , eating early and the same table and wait staff each evening, and we eat in the MDR just about every night.

How did you find out that DD was done away with? TA? Email? or like me on CC?

Thanks

Steph