What Happened to RCCL in 11 Years?

ScottC4746

Sailed on the Majesty in 2007 and then just got back from Rhapsody yesterday. Prior to that did Vision in 2005. I noticed in '07 a slight change but a big change last week.

Gone are the shoe shines

Gone is the Platinum departure lounge with continental breakfast. We did however have coffee but plastic glasses. Fortunately I kept my mug from earlier in the morning.

Gone is enforcement of no shorts sandals or tshirts for dinner in the main dining room.

Gone is the welcome back gift unless you are Diamond or higher I believe. Platinum gets nothing.

When did all this go away?

Sailed on the Majesty in 2007 and then just got back from Rhapsody yesterday. Prior to that did Vision in 2005. I noticed in '07 a slight change but a big change last week.

Gone are the shoe shines

Gone is the Platinum departure lounge with continental breakfast. We did however have coffee but plastic glasses. Fortunately I kept my mug from earlier in the morning.

Gone is enforcement of no shorts sandals or tshirts for dinner in the main dining room.

Gone is the welcome back gift unless you are Diamond or higher I believe. Platinum gets nothing.

Your cruise history is limited and nothing between your Majesty cruise in 2007 and the Rhapsody sailing you just departed from. Lots of changes have occurred on all lines, not just Royal. Various people have different opinions of why -- but the reasons are simple, they needed for whatever reason to trim costs to keep profits the way they wanted.

Some changes like not enforcing the dress code are more to do with 'not wanting to offend a cruiser' and then that cruiser not wanting to cruise on the line again. Personally, rules should be enforced or change the rule. There has been a softening of the dress code over the years.

We have been sailing since 2004 and I don't remember seeing a 'shoe shine area' -- but it was our very first cruise and I just may not have noticed it. It isn't something I would care about one way or the other.

Gone are the shoe shines

Who the heck wants a shoe shine on a Caribbean Cruise?

Maybe it was better to start later.... my first cruise was 2013..... SO had many more cruises before me.... so I am enjoying the ride.

Edited by troykahack

I couldn't tell you for sure, as we're recent converts to RCI, but it appears that most mainstream lines have been making cutbacks. Personally, I think some of them are strictly cost cutting, but I think others may be an effort to make cruising more casual and more appealing to a broader range of clients. I remember even when Carnival had shoe shines - they were rarely used. Pillow chocolates? Saw tons of them thrown away. I would also venture a guess that many of the younger generation of new(er) cruisers don't know what "the good old days" used to be, and aren't really missing anything. From a business perspective, why provide Ritz-Carlton amenities, when Holiday Inn Express amenities are sufficient to meet the clients' needs?

Now, I don't necessarily agree with the cost cutting measures, per se, but, if cutting some of the frivolities can help keep cruising costs more affordable, I am OK with that, and I would guess that many others have the same feeling. Would I love to be pampered in absolute luxury like First Class Titanic passengers? Sure. But, I may only be able to cruise every 4-5 years, as opposed to every 2-3 years. I'm willing to "lower the bar" a bit in order to be able to still afford vacationing. Many of the items that the cruise lines have been cutting, are of little or no value to me, perceived or actual, but everyone is different. I have no use for a shoe shine or real silver flatware for dinner, but those things may very well be of at least some importance to you. I also think that the cruise lines will also continue to cut costs until the point that it begins affecting their bottom line. Once their profits begin to suffer, only then would changes be made. The other thought I had, is that maybe RCI is trying to push their older, and possibly more traditional, cruisers to Celebrity, where they may find some of those cutback items still in existence.

Gone are the shoe shines

Did you only notice the trivialities of what's "gone" and fail to experience everything that's new? Cruising is different than it was a decade ago and it will look different a decade from now.

Demand for a more casual cruise experience negates the need for a shoe shiner as the majority are wearing sandals with their shorts.

Food waste and trinkets have been set aside for more meaningful loyalty perks. Soon those will morph again.

Cruise lines will continuously change to attract (and retain) customers looking for new experiences.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I would agree with StolidCruiser - much of what you mention is considered trivial by many, but I can see how you would notice these things and even miss them since your last cruise more than a decade ago.

What did you enjoy? Do you have anything positive to report (sincerely asking)? Will you be cruising RCI again? What about trying one of the newer ships?

I couldn't tell you for sure, as we're recent converts to RCI, but it appears that most mainstream lines have been making cutbacks. Personally, I think some of them are strictly cost cutting, but I think others may be an effort to make cruising more casual and more appealing to a broader range of clients. I remember even when Carnival had shoe shines - they were rarely used. Pillow chocolates? Saw tons of them thrown away. I would also venture a guess that many of the younger generation of new(er) cruisers don't know what "the good old days" used to be, and aren't really missing anything. From a business perspective, why provide Ritz-Carlton amenities, when Holiday Inn Express amenities are sufficient to meet the clients' needs?

Now, I don't necessarily agree with the cost cutting measures, per se, but, if cutting some of the frivolities can help keep cruising costs more affordable, I am OK with that, and I would guess that many others have the same feeling. Would I love to be pampered in absolute luxury like First Class Titanic passengers? Sure. But, I may only be able to cruise every 4-5 years, as opposed to every 2-3 years. I'm willing to "lower the bar" a bit in order to be able to still afford vacationing. Many of the items that the cruise lines have been cutting, are of little or no value to me, perceived or actual, but everyone is different. I have no use for a shoe shine or real silver flatware for dinner, but those things may very well be of at least some importance to you. I also think that the cruise lines will also continue to cut costs until the point that it begins affecting their bottom line. Once their profits begin to suffer, only then would changes be made. The other thought I had, is that maybe RCI is trying to push their older, and possibly more traditional, cruisers to Celebrity, where they may find some of those cutback items still in existence.

I wish they would build newer/larger celebrity ships, I might switch. Some of us still enjoy a more formal atmosphere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you only notice the trivialities of what's "gone" and fail to experience everything that's new? Cruising is different than it was a decade ago and it will look different a decade from now.

Demand for a more casual cruise experience negates the need for a shoe shiner as the majority are wearing sandals with their shorts.

Food waste and trinkets have been set aside for more meaningful loyalty perks. Soon those will morph again.

Cruise lines will continuously change to attract (and retain) customers looking for new experiences.

Well said. Change is also for the better.

Edited by easyboy

Cruises are no longer the "grand experience" it used to be. The whole thing has been "dumbed down". Yes, airlines and ridiculous fees have put a stop to the "formal" nights, for the most part. But, the dining experience has taken a BIG hit, too...used to be a full 5 course meal, with real silverware and crystal/china. Now, it's pretty close to Applebees....3 courses, stainless and everyday dishes. Some lines don't even use a tablecloth...or placemats....the selections are less and the presentation...well, WHAT presentation?

I understand they try to keep the costs down, because they want to make it seem as cheap as possible....but cheap is cheap....

If you want a cruise getaway...you'll still get that...but don't expect what you had even 10 years ago....those days are gone.

I wish they would build newer/larger celebrity ships, I might switch. Some of us still enjoy a more formal atmosphere.

And that's likely their business model - where RCI offers Celebrity for the more upscale experience, much as Carnival to HAL, Ford to Lincoln, Chevy to Cadillac. While I may nostalgically miss some of the frills mentioned earlier, I am still happy having many more options to choose from - they have yet to cross the line of "markedly reduced experience" in my personal opinion. That said, I have no doubt that the cruise lines will continue to make small cuts here and there to "test the waters," so to speak, as to how far they can cut before customers push back.

Lets not forget some of the things that have been added.

No Corkage fee which we love in the Dinning Venues

Internet to stay in touch with the world while we travel

More Dinning options, if we want to take advantage of them.

The coffee served in the Main Dinning Room and Windjammer has been greatly improved!

Newer Ships with so many new offerings, such as Broadway Shows like Chicago, Momma Mia, Grease...etc

I still feel that you get the best value for your vacation buck on a cruise...and I do prefer RCCL to the others.

Cruises are no longer the "grand experience" it used to be. The whole thing has been "dumbed down". Yes, airlines and ridiculous fees have put a stop to the "formal" nights, for the most part. But, the dining experience has taken a BIG hit, too...used to be a full 5 course meal, with real silverware and crystal/china. Now, it's pretty close to Applebees....3 courses, stainless and everyday dishes. Some lines don't even use a tablecloth...or placemats....the selections are less and the presentation...well, WHAT presentation?

I understand they try to keep the costs down, because they want to make it seem as cheap as possible....but cheap is cheap....

If you want a cruise getaway...you'll still get that...but don't expect what you had even 10 years ago....those days are gone.

That's not completely true. Cruises on the mainstream lines are no longer those grand experiences. Of course, the prices of those cruises are no longer "grand experiences" either. You can still get those experiences, you just need to pay for them. Either with specialty restaurants are more upscale, luxury lines. You will pay for them, but you paid for them in the past as well. You can't expect to get the same level of service and benefits at a smaller fraction of the cost it used to be. You want them, you pay the extra for them like you used to do for a cruise.

I don't remember shoeshine. It might have happened but I have no idea why it would have been important. I don't remember ever getting a welcome back gift prior to Diamond. Enforcement of shorts/sandals/tshirts .. whatever. Those seem to be important, for some reason. And plastic glasses, really?

You made no references to food, waiters, stewards or room service. Are you a robot?

Gone are the shoe shines

I can't equate your expression of 'dumbed down' to the cruise experience. It has changed for sure, the public knows it has changed and the cruise line is NOT trying to tell people it has not, and expect them to believe it.

The cause for the change is cost control on the part of the cruiselines to keep profit margins where they (management and stockholders) want them to be. As a stockholder in Royal, I wish some of the changes would not have occurred, especially cutting staff in the MDR and the hotel area (cabin attendants). I can do without the mints on the pillows or the midnight buffet (can only imagine the food waste). Reducing the number of wait staff forced changes in the dining service.

But on the flip side, the ships offer much different experiences now. You can have Broadway show like entertainment, an aqua show, water rides (flowrider and waterslides). Some examples of the positive include the no corkage fee, that has already been mentioned.

You can still find the more upscale cruise experience, just like you can find an upscale hotel or shopping experience -- the choice is the cruisers.

Edited by Paulette3028

I can't equate your expression of 'dumbed down' to the cruise experience. It has changed for sure, the public knows it has changed and the cruise line is NOT trying to tell people it has not, and expect them to believe it.

The cause for the change is cost control on the part of the cruiselines to keep profit margins where they (stockholders) want them to be. As a stockholder in Royal, I wish some of the changes would not have occurred, especially cutting staff in the MDR and the hotel area (cabin attendants). I can do without the mints on the pillows or the midnight buffet (can only imagine the food waste). Reducing the number of wait staff forced changes in the dining service.

But on the flip side, the ships offer much different experiences now. You can have Broadway show like entertainment, an aqua show, water rides (flowrider and waterslides). Some examples of the positive include the no corkage fee, that has already been mentioned.

You can still find the more upscale cruise experience, just like you can find an upscale hotel or shopping experience -- the choice is the cruisers.

Bravo - well said. :)

Bravo - well said. :)

Thanks....let me add that the welcome back gift that was in my room on my last sailing was a plate of fresh made cookies -- much better than that bag of shortbread cookies we got in the past. Those shortbread cookies were awful -- I am a cookie monster and I would not even eat them. But the fresh baked ones.....yummy!

For those of you confused by the shoe shine reference, let me explain. Before "freeslob" cruising and "It's my vacation, I can do what I what" mentality took over, dinner was an important social part of cruising. People dressed for dining and enjoyed a leisurely dinner interacting with their table mates.

To that end, cruiselines would have a basket in the closet into which one could place the dress shoes for shining. The basket was left outside one's cabin door at night and the next morning, the shoes would be there, bright and shining.

OP, I know where you are coming from about the RCCL experience. Remember, there has been corporate changes in Royal Caribbean International with the addition of cruiselines under the RCCL family that are now positioned in the market for the socio-economic group that RCCL use to target. RCCL has been now repositioned as an entry level cruise line to compete with Carnival and NCL.

There are cruiselines that still offer the type of experience you remember (although I think the shoe shine basket has disappeared). Yes, you will pay more, but as in anything, you get what you pay for.

My Wife and I have been cruising since the 1980s and I boy, do I agree things have changed! Of course, I remember when Myrtle Beach was nothing but sand dunes with miles of empty beach. Of course the way we cruise have changed with the times as well. We use to be happy with an inside cabin, now we could not do without our balcony retreat. The cruise lines use to have greeters and a private bus at the airport. One of my first jobs when we got on board was to visit the Maitre d and palm him some cash to get the dinner table and time we wanted. We use to throw streamers over the side of the ship during the sail away party. we use to shoot skeet and hit golf balls off the stern. At some Caribbean islands, we use to tender in an get off right on a beach because there was no dock. I do miss some of the early days of cruising, but I still can't wait to take my next cruise. I always find new reasons why I love a cruise vacation.

My first cruise was with the "girls" as a work get away.

I remember people going to all the parties on board dancing the night away and having fun with the simple contest and games on board.

Sleeping at the pool during the day, not really having a care in the world.

Being on time for dinner, and dressing up.

Oh well, times have changed ---I am happy just being on a cruise.

Safe travels.

For those of you confused by the shoe shine reference, let me explain. Before "freeslob" cruising and "It's my vacation, I can do what I what" mentality took over, dinner was an important social part of cruising. People dressed for dining and enjoyed a leisurely dinner interacting with their table mates.

To that end, cruiselines would have a basket in the closet into which one could place the dress shoes for shining. The basket was left outside one's cabin door at night and the next morning, the shoes would be there, bright and shining.

OP, I know where you are coming from about the RCCL experience. Remember, there has been corporate changes in Royal Caribbean International with the addition of cruiselines under the RCCL family that are now positioned in the market for the socio-economic group that RCCL use to target. RCCL has been now repositioned as an entry level cruise line to compete with Carnival and NCL.

There are cruiselines that still offer the type of experience you remember (although I think the shoe shine basket has disappeared). Yes, you will pay more, but as in anything, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for your shoe shine explanation....it surely was before we started cruising.

I personally resent your highlighted comment above. We enjoy a leisurely dinner with tablemates, but see no reason to have to dress 'formally' on vacation. I do believe that if there is a dress code for dinner it should be adhered to and enforced, but a dress code that is NOT realistic is worthless. Now, realistic in my mind might be different to others, but I don't believe that the dress code on Royal is unreasonable, since it doesn't require 'formal wear', but no shorts/or pool attire for dinner is reasonable. Men should not have to wear jackets each night for dinner, nor a women a formal gown or cocktail dress, but it is reasonable to expect the dress code to specify that shirts, not t-shirts be worn for dinner as well as bathing suits and coverups....there is a time and place for those things and at dinner it isn't the place in the MDR.

"It is my vacation", and reasonable dress codes make it all better for everyone. If someone doesn't want to leave the pool until a minute before dinner, or their excursion was a full day and they go from excursion to dinner -- they can find someplace on board to eat....there is always the WJ.

I can tell you for us.....we know how to dress wherever we go. AND it would be nice if dress codes were enforced, but the cruiseline doesn't want to alienate ANYONE for ANY reason. I will say, sometimes, the dress of a cruiser walking into the MDR does cause the staff to let the cruiser know they are not dressed appropriately for dinner -- it just doesn't happen frequently.