Heads Up

Hello

First time posting here and, as the name indicates, first time cruising with Norwegian.

I just wanted to give a heads up to everyone.

My husband had sinus surgery late last month and one of his post op instructions is to do daily (2-4 times) nasal rinses. If anyone doesn't know what this means, it is basically shoving water up your nose to clean out the nasal passages.

Knowing that Norwegian no longer allows water on board, I called the 1-800 number earlier this month to find the best course of action (whether we could order distilled water on board, bring it on board with a note from doctor, etc.).

I was told by the customer service rep that we could bring distilled water on board, so long as we had a doctors note. So, we got a doctors note and lugged two gallons of distilled water to the port on our departure day.

We got to the security point on the day of our cruise and, lo and behold, we were not allowed to bring the water past the security check point. Showed the doctors note, and were told, at that point, that we actually needed to send the doctors note (via fax) to the main office in Miami, where it would be approved and we get on a pre approved list to bring the water on board.

Of course, this info was totally useless as we were supposed to leave in about four hours.

We asked the port employees if we could just order distilled water on board and we would be happy to throw away the water, the port employees (who were wearing blue scarves, but could not get a clear answer as to whether they were norwegian employees or not) said "we don't know".

So, we spend the first two hours of our "vacation" waiting in a security line checkpoint. The people in the blue scarves were some of the most unfriendly, unhelpful and rude people I have ever encountered.

They didn't know if we could purchase distilled water on board, they didn't know (or care) that we had been given the wrong information directly from norwegian employees on the 800 number and they certainly didn't care that we needed this water for a medical reason.

One of them even got a rude and snippy with me when I tried to talk to another couple who were in the same boat (pun intended) as us (trying to bring distilled water on board for medical reason). The employee told me in a condescending voice "Ma'am, I am talking to them right now, not you". Yes, good customer service always includes talking rudely to a customer that is already upset...always makes for a good outcome.

After about an hour, we called the 800 number because we figured it couldn't hurt. We were told, again, that it wasn't norwegian who was forbidding the water, but custom officials at the port. As we were standing in front of the custom official who was telling us he could care less about the water, we figured this wasn't going to get anywhere and hung up.

About an hour later, we were finally told we could board the ship, without the water. We were told distilled water would be provided to us. The whole wait was determining bringing the water on board and whether distilled water could be provided to us.

So, this was our first encounter with norwegian. It was not the best.

The port employees (who I still don't know if they were norwegian employees or port employees contracted out or what) were the worst customer service employees I have ever had the misfortune of encountering (I even noticed this when coming back into port and NOT having a problem).I'm not talking about the security personnel (who were some of the nicest individuals, the security guard even gave me a hug at one point because I was crying out of frustration), but the people in the blue scarves.

We were given information that was wrong TWICE from the 800 number. Others has been given wrong information, too (we encountered them while waiting).

I still am not sure of the fax number we were supposed to fax our doctors note because it wasn't provided in any of our cruise documentation. If this is Norweigan's policy, they certainly don't make it easy or clearly documented.

I will say, once we got on board, the service was excellent. The ship's crew was wonderful-from the bartenders, the room stewards and wait staff. The customer service manager on board called us to make sure we got the distilled water and offered us a free dinner and complimentary strawberries and wine. I had absolutely no problem with the service when on board the ship. The people on these ships work SO hard to make our vacation more enjoyable and I sincerely appreciate their hard work. I wish the management made their job easier by making rules and regulations clear to customers BEFORE getting on board.

So sorry this is so long, but I am hoping our experience may prevent others who need to bring distilled water (or another liquid that may need prior approval) aboard for some reason (ask the 800 number specifically about the pre approval before boarding the ship, ask for the fax number, etc.). I am still not even sure what requires pre approval...as I said, I looked at our cruise documentation and it was never stated. This seems to be a rather ambiguous rule and I wish we would have gotten more information prior to our departure...it certainly would have saved us alot of trouble as the start of what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation...

Thanks for posting. Sorry for your troubles.

But I learned a long time ago to "get it in writing". No way I would go to port with a doctor's note and say that is what I was told on the phone. Had it been me I would have insisted the phone rep or a supervisor send me an email confirmation of the conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"The port employees (who I still don't know if they were Norwegian employees or port employees contracted out or what) were

the worst customer service employees I have ever had the misfortune of encountering (I even noticed this when coming back into port and NOT having a problem).

I'm not talking about the security personnel (who were some of the nicest individuals, the security guard even gave me a hug at one point because I was crying out of frustration),

but the people in the blue scarves. "

Which Port was this?

Unfortunately, you have learned the hard way what many people already know about NCL.

The shipboard staff are generally excellent and will go out of their way to ensure that you have a great time. However, they are let down terribly by the land based operation. I assume that it is lack of instruction and training. I never phone NCL for info if i can avoid it (and the UK staff seem to be much better than Miami from what I understand).

We have many threads on this forum which get complicated because someone has phoned Miami and been given incorrect info. If you do have any questions in future I would strongly suggest asking here rather than phoning.

Having said that, this is an issue where you probably wouldn't have got the info here either. I remember a long discussion about it a while ago which seemed to have lots of conflicting info. Your report is very helpful for others who may be in the same position.

My suggestion would be to write to NCL making the point that they should be clearer as to the procedure. Make it quite short and keep to the point.

I don't say that in order to try to get compensation or anything (you don't seem to be after any and they did offer you something onboard), but there is a vague chance that such letters may get them to improve in future.

I very much doubt it, but you never know. It can't hurt.

I am so sorry you had to go through this. Definitely not a way to start your vacation. The people in the blue scarfs are "port" employees. I am glad your vacation turned around and you had a great time! Hopefully someone in a similar situation reads your post and does not have to go through the terrible issues you had to.

As an FYI, if you need to bring anything on board (liquid-wise) for medical reasons, you need to contact the access desk. If they approve your request, it will be marked on your eDocs that you are an exception to the policy.

Don't expect speedy service -- my husband had to follow up with them twice before we got an answer. And be prepared to be very exact in what you are bringing -- we were asked for brand names and sizes.

We'll be curious to see how all of this works out when we go on our cruise in February.

As an FYI, if you need to bring anything on board (liquid-wise) for medical reasons,

you need to contact the access desk.

If they approve your request, it will be marked on your eDocs that you are an exception to the policy.

Don't expect speedy service -- my husband had to follow up with them twice before we got an answer. And be prepared to be very exact in what you are bringing -- we were asked for brand names and sizes.

We'll be curious to see how all of this works out when we go on our cruise in February.

Do you have a link to the NCL Access Desk?

WE will also be on-board in February.

Edited by $hip$hape

Do you have a link to the NCL Access Desk?

WE will also be on-board in February.

We started by using this number -- 866 584 9756.

The email is accessdesk@ncl.com.

Like I said they aren't exactly timely. We started this process on 10/21 (I just found the email I sent my husband regarding the phone number) and we just got confirmation over the weekend. And the only reason we got confirmation is because my husband kept following up with them.

There seems to be confusion over who is in charge at cruise ports.

From what I have experienced and read it kind of goes like this (USA ports)

The cruise line is in charge of the ship. They can make all the rules about what you can bring on --- like bottles of wine, extension cords, water, etc.

TSA have the say over security in the port so they make those rules.... TSA liquid rules (nothing over 3 oz), no weapons, etc. They will also work with the cruise lines to stop those extension cords, irons, or allowing the bottles of wine. But TSA agents have the final say.

Homeland Security wants time to vet all passengers and that is now why it is much harder to show up at the port on embarkation day and get a cruise.

When you come back Customs is in control and their rules enforced.

You also have local laws and ordinances at the terminals. Factor in the union rules for workers, porters and such.

So while a cruise line may not have an issue with you bringing on a gallon of distilled water, TSA may. The cruise line may not have an issue with you bringing a flowering plant on the ship from on of the ports but Customs may confiscate it when you reach land.

Unfortunately, if you have some kind of special need or request it would behoove you to check with all agencies to see what their rules are.

I usually start with the cruise line and ask if what I need will or can be supplied on the ship. Example is distilled water and extension cords for my DHs CPAP machine and work from there. I also check the TSA, Custom, HLS and the port websites.

While I often get frustrated with the rules, I am grateful that people are trying to keep me safe. All cruise lines that we have traveled on have given us distilled water and now we get extension cords with no issue once on board.

To answer a few questions, this was New Orleans.

Nope, not looking for any compensation at this point. The manager on board did what he could to make it right and make us happy. It's not his fault the land based operations seem to be so inefficient and unhelpful. Like I said, it is a shame they make it so much harder on the ship's crew by NOT stating policies like this one in a clear and straightforward manner.

I don't know if I will write a letter to NCL. I really just posted so, hopefully, it might help someone out and prevent them from starting out their vacay like us (I don't know about everyone else, but I am so stressed out before the actual vacation, that this is just one more thing we didn't need).

The funny part is I had all these dreams prior to our vacation of leaving our passports at home or missing the boat...never thought about the water giving us so much trouble :p.

TSA have the say over security in the port so they make those rules.... TSA liquid rules (nothing over 3 oz), no weapons, etc. They will also work with the cruise lines to stop those extension cords, irons, or allowing the bottles of wine. But TSA agents have the final say.

The TSA doesn't screen embarking passengers on cruise ships leaving form US ports. The liquid rules you mention -- seen at airports -- do not apply to cruise terminals.

Your post has done nothing but add to the confusion around this topic.

They work for the Miami Port Authority.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you sure? Can Anyone link or verify? I was under the impression that the scarf people work for a third-party company who contracted to the cruise companies. Therefore the same person could check in a carnival passenger or a NCL passenger. Can anyone clarify?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure? Can Anyone link or verify? I was under the impression that the scarf people work for a third-party company who contracted to the cruise companies. Therefore the same person could check in a carnival passenger or a NCL passenger. Can anyone clarify?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you both are saying the same thing...... they work for the Miami Port Authority but are "outsourced labor" (contract).....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

You would have been better off to pack the water in your luggage, let them call you to the "Naughty Room" on the ship to retrieve your luggage (because they discovered you had liquid in your luggage), then reason with the crew and officers on the ship.

Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Thanks for a balanced account of the situation. Glad to hear that the folks on the ship tried to make it right.

As you can see from all of the replies, noone really knows what the heck is going on. I just buy a few bottles of water and sodas out of the machine at the port (Miami), pop em in my carry on and wa-la, I have what I need. You dont go through any other security checks at that point.

Of course distilled water for medical reasons is another thing.

Sorry for your frustration at the port. I can sure understand.

Hello

First time posting here and, as the name indicates, first time cruising with Norwegian ...

I am still not even sure what requires pre approval...as I said, I looked at our cruise documentation and it was never stated. This seems to be a rather ambiguous rule and I wish we would have gotten more information prior to our departure...it certainly would have saved us alot of trouble as the start of what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation...

Too bad you didn't discover Cruise Critic before your cruise. We could have told you how to contact Access desk for your distilled water question and you might have been able to get it provided onboard, as those of us with CPAPs do, or at least get written permission from NCL to bring the distilled water aboard.

The 800# reps know very little about anything beyond booking a cruise.

I'm so glad the rest of your cruise went well.

From what I have experienced and read it kind of goes like this (USA ports)

The cruise line is in charge of the ship. They can make all the rules about what you can bring on --- like bottles of wine, extension cords, water, etc.

Homeland Security wants time to vet all passengers and that is now why it is much harder to show up at the port on embarkation day and get a cruise.

When you come back Customs is in control and their rules enforced.

You also have local laws and ordinances at the terminals. Factor in the union rules for workers, porters and such.

So while a cruise line may not have an issue with you bringing on a gallon of distilled water, TSA may. The cruise line may not have an issue with you bringing a flowering plant on the ship from on of the ports but Customs may confiscate it when you reach land.

Unfortunately, if you have some kind of special need or request it would behoove you to check with all agencies to see what their rules are.

I usually start with the cruise line and ask if what I need will or can be supplied on the ship. Example is distilled water and extension cords for my DHs CPAP machine and work from there. I also check the TSA, Custom, HLS and the port websites.

While I often get frustrated with the rules, I am grateful that people are trying to keep me safe. All cruise lines that we have traveled on have given us distilled water and now we get extension cords with no issue once on board.

Let's take this post point by point.

TSA has nothing to do with ports and ships, and you will never see a TSA agent at a cruise ship terminal, so their regulations, while they apply to your flights to/from the ship, don't count for squat at the pier.

Homeland Security does not vet passengers before the cruise. They get the passenger manifest just before sailing, and use the days of the cruise to screen the passengers. The reason you can't show up at the port and buy a cruise on the day of departure is that the folks checking you in at the pier don't work for the cruise line, and don't have the ability to sell a cruise.

Okay, you got this one right, but I don't care whether you travel by ship, airplane, train or car, when you return to the US CBP has regulations you follow. This shouldn't be a surprise.

So, leaving the country on a cruise ship, you are free to check with all the agencies you mention, but TSA, Customs, HLS (which is actually DHS, but is the parent department to TSA and Customs (CBP), so they wouldn't have any different requirements), but it isn't necessary, as they don't care.

TSA has nothing to do with ports and ships,

I'm being pedantic now, but TSA has quite a bit of involvement with ports and ships, although they have next to nothing to do with the public-facing or passenger side of things.

Remember, Chief, that the TSA issues the Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) which is required by the Maritime Transportation Security Act for workers who need access to secure areas of the nation’s maritime facilities and vessels. This obviously includes cruise ship terminals.

Hello

First time posting here and, as the name indicates, first time cruising with Norwegian.

I just wanted to give a heads up to everyone.

My husband had sinus surgery late last month and one of his post op instructions is to do daily (2-4 times) nasal rinses. If anyone doesn't know what this means, it is basically shoving water up your nose to clean out the nasal passages.

Knowing that Norwegian no longer allows water on board, I called the 1-800 number earlier this month to find the best course of action (whether we could order distilled water on board, bring it on board with a note from doctor, etc.).

I was told by the customer service rep that we could bring distilled water on board, so long as we had a doctors note. So, we got a doctors note and lugged two gallons of distilled water to the port on our departure day.

We got to the security point on the day of our cruise and, lo and behold, we were not allowed to bring the water past the security check point. Showed the doctors note, and were told, at that point, that we actually needed to send the doctors note (via fax) to the main office in Miami, where it would be approved and we get on a pre approved list to bring the water on board.

Of course, this info was totally useless as we were supposed to leave in about four hours.

We asked the port employees if we could just order distilled water on board and we would be happy to throw away the water, the port employees (who were wearing blue scarves, but could not get a clear answer as to whether they were norwegian employees or not) said "we don't know".

So, we spend the first two hours of our "vacation" waiting in a security line checkpoint. The people in the blue scarves were some of the most unfriendly, unhelpful and rude people I have ever encountered.

They didn't know if we could purchase distilled water on board, they didn't know (or care) that we had been given the wrong information directly from norwegian employees on the 800 number and they certainly didn't care that we needed this water for a medical reason.

One of them even got a rude and snippy with me when I tried to talk to another couple who were in the same boat (pun intended) as us (trying to bring distilled water on board for medical reason). The employee told me in a condescending voice "Ma'am, I am talking to them right now, not you". Yes, good customer service always includes talking rudely to a customer that is already upset...always makes for a good outcome.

After about an hour, we called the 800 number because we figured it couldn't hurt. We were told, again, that it wasn't norwegian who was forbidding the water, but custom officials at the port. As we were standing in front of the custom official who was telling us he could care less about the water, we figured this wasn't going to get anywhere and hung up.

About an hour later, we were finally told we could board the ship, without the water. We were told distilled water would be provided to us. The whole wait was determining bringing the water on board and whether distilled water could be provided to us.

So, this was our first encounter with norwegian. It was not the best.

The port employees (who I still don't know if they were norwegian employees or port employees contracted out or what) were the worst customer service employees I have ever had the misfortune of encountering (I even noticed this when coming back into port and NOT having a problem).I'm not talking about the security personnel (who were some of the nicest individuals, the security guard even gave me a hug at one point because I was crying out of frustration), but the people in the blue scarves.

We were given information that was wrong TWICE from the 800 number. Others has been given wrong information, too (we encountered them while waiting).

I still am not sure of the fax number we were supposed to fax our doctors note because it wasn't provided in any of our cruise documentation. If this is Norweigan's policy, they certainly don't make it easy or clearly documented.

I will say, once we got on board, the service was excellent. The ship's crew was wonderful-from the bartenders, the room stewards and wait staff. The customer service manager on board called us to make sure we got the distilled water and offered us a free dinner and complimentary strawberries and wine. I had absolutely no problem with the service when on board the ship. The people on these ships work SO hard to make our vacation more enjoyable and I sincerely appreciate their hard work. I wish the management made their job easier by making rules and regulations clear to customers BEFORE getting on board.

So sorry this is so long, but I am hoping our experience may prevent others who need to bring distilled water (or another liquid that may need prior approval) aboard for some reason (ask the 800 number specifically about the pre approval before boarding the ship, ask for the fax number, etc.). I am still not even sure what requires pre approval...as I said, I looked at our cruise documentation and it was never stated. This seems to be a rather ambiguous rule and I wish we would have gotten more information prior to our departure...it certainly would have saved us alot of trouble as the start of what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation...

Thanks for the 411, I think I will pass on Norwegian line, too many lines out there to pick from, thanks!