Unknown Credit card charges from cruise

Spent over 200 nites on Royal last 2 years and never happened to me, though not saying it can't or doesn't. While doing multiple B2B cruises I've watched bar staff come in rooms, couple times before I left and count the waters. If I took it after he counted and then left ship or changed rooms the next passenger in that cabin would be charged. Also possible I have taken waters out of fridge then charged, bottles replaced then having 2 extra bottles in the room. I just drank them, no biggie. I'm sure it happens though not every cabin and all the time as someone stated above and still Royal should correct this make it even rarer occurrence then it is.

Edited by ONECRUISER

No mini-bar charge on the final bill we received in our cabin on the Anthem last month. After reading about this here, I checked the emailed bill I got after returning home. A new mini-bar charge had been added for $12.37. I called Royal Customer Service and a credit is to be issued to my credit card in 3-5 business days. I don't know if I would have noticed a $12 additional charge if I didn't read about it here. $12 X number of cabins X number of ships X number of cruises does add up.

Not to beat a dead horse, but this does seem to occur more often than just a mere slip up. The reason for the odd dollar and cents charge is the inclusion of the 18% gratuity so suspect someone servicing the room must be reporting this as a sale. I had quit a bit of OBC to burn off and had a very small balance due at end of cruise but suspect that folks that run up a good sized bill might not notice or question a dubious $12.27 charge. Next cruise if there is water in my room I will just ask that it be removed and hope that will put and end to it.

Looked at my charges, and low and behold $12.82 in extra charges were there. Called and got it reversed.

Mini bar charges for Evian water! What a scbam!

I think Royal is doing this to increase revenue as it happens too often and to too many people on too many ships to be a mistake. If you question it they readily remove it, but, the many people who don't reconcile their cc statements end up paying an extra $12.82.

When you think how many staterooms Royal fills each week it will add a lot of income if only a few people don't complain. But, I bet less people complain then do not.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got off Anthem of the Seas Jan 14 and we have received our invoice with a zero balance.

When I checked my credit card there were two charges on there for Jan 9 and Jan 10 that we didn't make I called RCCL and they said it's could be a hold on my credit card. I ASKED WHY A HOLD FOR A ZERO BALANCE?

I recently read on cruise critic this has happened recently to others. I have been on over 30 cruises with RCCL and this never happened even when I had a balance.

These are fraudulent charges and there is something going on Many people don't check there credit cards and wind up paying for extra charges.

We got off RCCL Enchantment July 2016 and the final invoice matched our receipts but on checking our credit card after arrival home there was an additional charge of $41.00. We were told this was a charge for the mini bar in our cabin ... we never use the mini bar. After much correspondence and producing our final invoice the charge was dropped. Check your credit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off Anthem of the Seas Jan 14 and we have received our invoice with a zero balance.

When I checked my credit card there were two charges on there for Jan 9 and Jan 10 that we didn't make I called RCCL and they said it's could be a hold on my credit card. I ASKED WHY A HOLD FOR A ZERO BALANCE?

I recently read on cruise critic this has happened recently to others. I have been on over 30 cruises with RCCL and this never happened even when I had a balance.

These are fraudulent charges and there is something going on Many people don't check there credit cards and wind up paying for extra charges.

They don't?

And another thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2434965

This seems to be a pervasive problem, affecting many people on many different ships. Man I wish I had a friend in the news business to tip off - there's a juicy story here.

If it's a hold, the charge will say "pending" and will eventually drop off. It is not really a hold but an authorization. Every cruise I've been on, I see multiple such charges and they always drop off. Until it turns into an actual charge, there is nothing to worry about. On my last cruise I did not have a zero balance but only that final charge turned into an actual charge. All of the other pending charges went away.

They don't?

Nope.

And the ones that do, are you gonna remember 20-30 days after your cruise when reviewing all your charges for the last cycle that your final statement was $2436.48 when you see the charge on your credit card as $2448.36?

Edited by ThirstyCruiser

OP, there are two scenarios that frequently appear here. One is post-disembarkation charge for water or other consumables and needs to be removed by calling RCI's Post Cruise people.

The second pertains to holds that will (or should) disappear from your account a few days after the cruise. Same thing can happen with a hotel. You check in and they put a hold for sufficient funds to cover the cost of your room. The next morning, you check out, pay your bill and have a zero balance. The hotel will in turn cancel the hold, but it may still show on your online account for a few days.

This was never an issue with monthly paper statements, as these "behind the scenes" transactions weren't reflected. If you are going to use Internet access to your account, you might want to speak to someone at your financial institution to get them to explain.

BTW, if you've had over 30 cruises with RCCL, do you really think that they are going to set out to defraud you now?:confused:

Edited by Fouremco

Hi MrsZ,

It was nice to see a familiar face again. I met you on the same cruise last year and I am the one who asked you in the D lounge if you had been on the Anthem last year.

We had no extra charges on our bill, but a few people on the roll call did have the mystery charges.

Edited by Arzeena

BTW, if you've had over 30 cruises with RCCL, do you really think that they are going to set out to defraud you now?:confused:

Its not personal, whether you have 1 cruise or 30 under your belt.

Something new is amiss where charges are being added to the final bill. Is the room attendant hiding a pair of water bottles from every room as they prep it for the next week's guests? Probably not. Are multiple attendants reporting the water is used and splitting the money with someone in billing? Are the attendants innocent and instead is it someone in billing inflating the final statements after the paper copy was given out? Is my tinfoil hat on straight?

I dunno, way too many people reporting the final charge to their credit card being more than the zero'ed out paper copy they got final morning. Please read the stories in the 2 links above for more examples.

Edited by ThirstyCruiser

Nope.

And the ones that do, are you gonna remember 20-30 days after your cruise when reviewing all your charges for the last cycle that your final statement was $2436.48 when you see the charge on your credit card as $2448.36?

In lala land if they can't figure out the charge isn't the amount of the statement

Its not personal, whether you have 1 cruise or 30 under your belt.

Something new is amiss where charges are being added to the final bill. Is the room attendant hiding a pair of water bottles from every room as they prep it for the next week's guests? Probably not. Are multiple attendants reporting the water is used and splitting the money with someone in billing? Are the attendants innocent and instead is it someone in billing inflating the final statements after the paper copy was given out? Is my tinfoil hat on straight?

I dunno, way too many people reporting the final charge to their credit card being more than the zero'ed out paper copy they got final morning. Please read the stories in the 2 links above for more examples.

In the OP's case, it appears that the issue isn't one of being dinged for a bottle or two of water but for credit card holds which will disappear.

Edited by Fouremco

Hi MrsZ,

It was nice to see a familiar face again. I met you on the same cruise last year and I am the one who asked you in the D lounge if you had been on the Anthem last year.

We had no extra charges on our bill, but a few people on the roll call did have the mystery charges.

I do remember you from last year. I have never had this happen to me and can't believe how many people are getting charges on their credit card after they leave the ship.

No matter what this should not happen. My final bill came by email 5 hours after I left the ship and said 0 balance.