Unknown Credit card charges from cruise

I called again and got the $12.27 deducted for the water I didn't drink

Just checked my Visa. Agent added $12.27 instead of deducting it. More phone calls

The agent probably got a commission for that "mistake".:rolleyes:

This happened to me too. Just off Anthem on 12/16. There was an extra $12.32 on my credit card charges. When I called they stated it was for the bottled water I didn't drink. The agent stated she would remove the charge. My parents who were on the same sailing in a different cabin had the same incorrect charge on their credit card also. I find it hard to believe this "mistake" is made so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by RocklandCruiser

This happened to me too. Just off Anthem on 12/16. There was an extra $12.32 on my credit card charges. When I called they stated it was for the bottled water I didn't drink. The agent stated she would remove the charge. My parents who were on the same sailing in a different cabin had the same incorrect charge on their credit card also. I find it hard to believe this "mistake" is made so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree this does seem to be a scam. I would probably not have noticed my charge but I had paid off my charges on board (thanks to a bingo win). I should have had zero charged.

With the Canadian exchange rate would probably otherwise not have noticed.

This type of "error" should stop happening now that the mini bars are being left empty.

Just got off 4 cruises B2B2B2B on Serenade, they don't have stocked fridge anymore but there is still 2 bottles of Evian in room to drink/purchase every week. Not sure if other ships still doing...

Can you ask the steward to remove them when you first get into your cabin? I did this on one of my cruises. The steward wasn't happy but I insisted & everything in the bar was removed. No risk of being charged.

You can ask, but don't be surprised if they say they cannot remove items from the mini-bar.

The charges that a lot of people are reporting are all $11-$12. They are for the two bottles of Evian water that are the only mini-bar items now left in the cabins. I think the word "scam" is just a tiny bit strong, but it is being reported so many times that I have to wonder how much money is being made on people who don't notice, don't care, or just don't bother to call. I called, mostly on principle, when it happened to me a few weeks ago on the Harmony.

I don't think the word "scam" is a tiny bit strong at all. I think it's spot on!

Considering the very low percentage of passengers on the CC community, AND as mentioned that most people don't even notice or bother to look at the final amount charged, sounds like the frequency of these "mistakes" is far too extreme.

Thx.

I don't think the word "scam" is a tiny bit strong at all. I think it's spot on!

Considering the very low percentage of passengers on the CC community, AND as mentioned that most people don't even notice or bother to look at the final amount charged, sounds like the frequency of these "mistakes" is far too extreme.

Thx.

Not sure, it isn't. Did the math on reports after our cruise on the Anthem for those on our roll call. 5% of us reported erroneous water charges... if 5% of the ship got the charge......

Based on what I've seen herhe, that sort of thing happens all the time. Not necessarily a scam, possibly human error. Happened to me once also and quickly got the charge credited.

Happened to us once on =X=, I called credit card company who reversed it immediately and that was that.

Can you ask the steward to remove them when you first get into your cabin? I did this on one of my cruises. The steward wasn't happy but I insisted & everything in the bar was removed. No risk of being charged.

This is what I am going to do also as 2 of my Grands will be in our cabin.

Happened to us once on =X=, I called credit card company who reversed it immediately and that was that.

Please call RCI, not your credit card company. 99% of card companies will eat anything under $25 because it's too expensive to contest the charge.

When you call RCI it takes a few days, but they eat the charge and are aware there is a problem.

I am one of those type A personalities that keep all my receipts & staple them to the bill when I get home. I put them in an envelope & check them off as I check daily. You can bet I would be at CS as soon as I spy a discrepancy.

Just add it up. $12.00 overcharge and no one disputes it. $12.00 times 2400 cabins equals $28,000.00 times 18 ships equals $518,400.00. Pretty good profit for doing nothing. Dispute every overcharge.

It appears that RCI just automatically charges $12.27 for the 2 bottles of water in your cabin upon embarkation even though the same 2 bottles are there when you leave at the end of the cruise. Just got off the phone with the customer service folks to get resolved and charge is being reversed "as a courtesy", I bit my tongue when I heard that line. It was a courtesy to place them in the cabin but not a courtesy to charge me for them if I did not consume them.

Edited by zebra36

Just add it up. $12.00 overcharge and no one disputes it. $12.00 times 2400 cabins equals $28,000.00 times 18 ships equals $518,400.00. Pretty good profit for doing nothing. Dispute every overcharge.

The number of ships (25) and cabins per ship (most are in the 1000-1800 range) is a bit off, but you are correct there's potential for profit for overcharges.

It appears that RCI just automatically charges $12.27 for the 2 bottles of water in your cabin upon embarkation even though the same 2 bottles are there when you leave at the end of the cruise. Just got off the phone with the customer service folks to get resolved and charge is being reversed "as a courtesy", I bit my tongue when I heard that line. It was a courtesy to place them in the cabin but not a courtesy to charge me for them if I did not consume them.

Sounds like some of the tricks our telecom companies up here tried. Do nothing and we assume that you want the product and you will be billed for it and to opt out you need to call.

All the more reason for a cash account.

The number of ships (25) and cabins per ship (most are in the 1000-1800 range) is a bit off, but you are correct there's potential for profit for overcharges.

I did not mean to say that my figures were accurate. I posted a number as a "what if". But hopefully, now people may get the message