Celebrity's Shore Excursion "Guaranteed Return To Ship" is no gimmick.

cybx

This is a factually correct statement. 1. The shore excursion offered by the ship is more expensive than a similar excursion provided by a private tour operator. The ship receives a 20% commission and that charge is passed on to the customer. 2. You are "herded like cattle" as you line up behind the person who carries the lollipop and attempt to keep them in sight. The tour ultimately goes as fast as the slowest person.3. Clearly you can't deviate from the tour plan. Any decision to deviate is in the hands of the tour operator. The tour guide must call superiors if there is a need to deviate.4.Most tours do include shopping visits. We had very limited time in Goa, but spent lots of time in a high priced tourist shop on the way home.

What you do is purely a personal choice. I don't understand an attack on a person who is simply stating the truth as Gonzo70 is. I've been on these boards for many years and can say without hesitation that Gonzo70 is one of the most insightful and reliable posters.

Thanks for the kind words; hope to have the pleasure of sailing with you again some day.

Hi Lois:

I've never experienced a small, personalize excursion offered on a Celebrity ship. Not to say that they don't exist, because they do. About 2 years ago Celebrity started to promote personalized excursions. They even created a new position to service those who want a private journey. I've seen many in Michael's Club arrange them. You can get it at a price. On my India cruise one was offered to the Taj Mahal at $2000 per person. I believe that there were 6 takers. Spoke to one couple that thought it was worth every penny. I believe that smaller group tours for the masses will become very scarce as Celebrity continues to promote Private Journeys. Things are certainly changing.

Yes indeed they are. On our recent cruise there was a new Destination Concierge promoting private excursions not only in Michael's Club, but just about anywhere you happened to be on the ship, in addition to giving presentations in the theater, and on the ship's TV.

I can't comment on the quality of those private excursions as we did not book any of them.

There is also the new Concierge Class concierge. I don't know how this position differs from the plain vanilla traditional ship's concierge, other than to make the people in Concierge Class feel special by having their very own concierge who offers some presentations exclusively for them.

It appears to be much the same way that the Destination Concierge offers some presentations that are exclusively for the suite people.

On the few occasions when I happened to pass by the room that is now designated for Concierge Class and has a concierge desk in it, I never saw an actual concierge in there. The room was usually empty, or there were some children playing in there.

So I do not know if this concierge is a different person, or if the same person just changes hats and goes back and forth from one concierge desk to another. ;)

Does Celebrity even have a regular traditional concierge for all passengers any more?

I had intended to ask, but never got around to it as we did not need any concierge services on this cruise.

I guess whether or not those new exclusive concierge positions will still exist a few years from now will depend on how lucrative they turn out to be for the cruise line.

What planet are you on? Cruise ships DO leave if passengers who are on private excursions are not back on board. We were in Madeira recently and another ship left around 15 passengers behind. The ship was actually still in sight!

There are a few facts here that I think EVERYONE will agree with.

1. If you are not on a cruise line excursion, they can as most likely will leave without you if you are late.

2. If you are on a cruise line excursion they will do everything possible to wait for you

3. If there is a crazy issue (like the plane on the princess excursion) they ship may have to leave without you; but when you are on a cruise line excursion they will get you to the next port and back onto the ship.

No one is arguing that the cruise line will wait for someone on a private excursion, but, especially in the Caribbean, there are companies that specialize in cruise ship excursions and know the traffic/travel time well enough to consistently get cruisers back to the ship on time. In fact, a missed ship would severely hurt their reputation and business.

An example is cave tubing in Belize. There are many companies that provide this tour independently and they have the timing down. Ours included a 'Belize city tour' during the trip, but they do that at the very end, and I believe that was just to create buffer time. They got us back to town 1-1.5 hours prior to the ship leaving, to be conservative, then added the tour in because they had time to. I'm sure if they didn't, they would have just gone straight to the ship.

As long as you use a reputable operator and watch the time for yourself you will almost certainly make the ship. Been a cruisecritic member for years and with many many thousands of cruisers have only read a handful of reports from people that missed the ship.

But 100% agree that you don't need to worry about the timing if you take a cruise ship excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we had one issue at Rio on our brazil cruise

luckily booked with the ship

We visited the christos statue and shortly before the way down the gear weel had an accident. In the end we where 3h late, but the ship was still in port and waiting.....

The $64,000 question is whether anyone has taken an excursion with a reputable company and missed the ship, and the company has not sorted it properly?

If, for example, romeinlimo got a minivan of people back to the ship too late, and did not sort the problem with outstanding service, their business would be hammered.

In practice, large independent companies have backup transport, often arrange things so that there's planned time near the ship at the end of the tour, and if the issue is traffic, the official vans will be similarly delayed.

No-one doubts that ships wait for official excursions. But I suspect that 99% of those who miss the boat are those who went DIY or went with very small private operators.

Stuart

An example is cave tubing in Belize. There are many companies that provide this tour independently and they have the timing down. Ours included a 'Belize city tour' during the trip, but they do that at the very end, and I believe that was just to create buffer time. They got us back to town 1-1.5 hours prior to the ship leaving, to be conservative, then added the tour in because they had time to. I'm sure if they didn't, they would have just gone straight to the ship.

Indeed. On an Adriatic cruise last autumn, the guides on independent tours explained that we'd do the out of city part first, in minibuses, and finish with the city walking tour, explicitly to ensure that there was no risk of missing the boat. They know their reputations would be shot if they had stranded passengers.

Stuart.

The $64,000 question is whether anyone has taken an excursion with a reputable company and missed the ship, and the company has not sorted it properly?

If, for example, romeinlimo got a minivan of people back to the ship too late, and did not sort the problem with outstanding service, their business would be hammered.

In practice, large independent companies have backup transport, often arrange things so that there's planned time near the ship at the end of the tour, and if the issue is traffic, the official vans will be similarly delayed.

No-one doubts that ships wait for official excursions. But I suspect that 99% of those who miss the boat are those who went DIY or went with very small private operators.

Stuart

Stuart,

I suspect that you are right. Some private tours even announce that they include a guarantee no missing the ship and would handle your arrangements to the next port.

Another poster was correct in the importance of proper research of tour companies and their reviews.

We have not missed the ship because of a late private tour, but on a tour from the port close to Glasgow to St. Andrews, we arrived precisely at the time that the ship had announced was the drop dead time. Traffic was heavy and everyone on our minibus was anxious.

I have read on cc boards of people that missed the ship, some with private tours and that resulted in much difficulty for those persons.

If you miss a tour and the ship is going to another country and you left your passports in the cabin safe, that could be a problem. Also, some ports are remote and there might not be a direct flight connection to the next port. These are things to consider when choosing a private tour requiring a lengthy drive.

I have done many private excursions and never missed the ship or thought we might. But all the private excursions were researched. I am OCD about reading reviews of the private companies. In Europe on Med cruises I wasn't worried if it did happen because most of the ports were close and with the trains there I could have arrived at the next port ahead of the ship.

The only time I was on tours that cut it close back to the ship was on cruise line excursions. My conclusion from that was not that it was lucky I took a cruise line excursion. It was that the tour operator didn't have to worry about the ship leaving and didn't hustle the tour back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Then you are both wrong and lucky :) Also, a guarantee to get me to the next port to re-join the cruise is not an acceptable resolution to me. As I stated earlier, this is not about the pros and cons of private vs. ship sponsored excursions. That is strictly personal choice. No amount of nasty babbling on this board is going to sway my feelings on the matter, nor should it sway anyone else as long as they have the facts to make informed choices,

Indeed. On an Adriatic cruise last autumn, the guides on independent tours explained that we'd do the out of city part first, in minibuses, and finish with the city walking tour, explicitly to ensure that there was no risk of missing the boat. They know their reputations would be shot if they had stranded passengers.

Stuart.

Well said, as was also noted, if you go and do a DIY - i.e. catching local transit and exploring on your own, there is some risk if you don't do your research. Having done DIY, we aim to be back in port 1 hour before final boarding time at the latest. Every independent tour operator we took got us back on time...the only time I cut it close was in Istanbul, 4 of us on our tour went to the Spice Market which was a 5km walk from the ship...however our guide who had sent the rest of the group (including my hubby) back as they were not interested could not get a taxi to take us. Us 4 had agreed to pay our own cab back beforehand. However, a bribe managed to convince a cab driver to get us back on time. A bit of adventure but again our own fault! In the end the bribe was 10 euros for a 5 euro cab ride. One of 4 didn't want to pay her share (2.50) until I informed her that she could always walk back. Hubby thought he heard our names being paged on the ship:p

You could not pay me to take a cruise line excursion in most ports.

If you've never taken a cruise-line excursion, how would you know how good or bad they are. We've taken cruise-line excursions since 2003 and have always had a good time. Of course some were better than others, but no complaints here. And we feel reassured that there would no question that the ship would wait for us if running late. I know for a fact that some people were left on the dock when taking a private excursion; maybe the cruise lines have changed their policy; waiting for anyone running late, regardless of which excursion they took.

;)

Well said, as was also noted, if you go and do a DIY - i.e. catching local transit and exploring on your own, there is some risk if you don't do your research. Having done DIY, we aim to be back in port 1 hour before final boarding time at the latest. Every independent tour operator we took got us back on time...the only time I cut it close was in Istanbul, 4 of us on our tour went to the Spice Market which was a 5km walk from the ship...however our guide who had sent the rest of the group (including my hubby) back as they were not interested could not get a taxi to take us. Us 4 had agreed to pay our own cab back beforehand. However, a bribe managed to convince a cab driver to get us back on time. A bit of adventure but again our own fault! In the end the bribe was 10 euros for a 5 euro cab ride. One of 4 didn't want to pay her share (2.50) until I informed her that she could always walk back. Hubby thought he heard our names being paged on the ship:p

You may not have known this because you were on a tour, but the Spice Market is on a tram line that runs every few minutes over the Galeta Bridge a few stops away from the docks. Also also I walked from the Spice Market back to the ship and it was about ten minutes. It is about a 30 minute walk from Sultanahmet. You can actually do Istanbul as a DIY. Without taking cabs, taking the trams and walking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Then you are both wrong and lucky :) Also, a guarantee to get me to the next port to re-join the cruise is not an acceptable resolution to me. As I stated earlier, this is not about the pros and cons of private vs. ship sponsored excursions. That is strictly personal choice. No amount of nasty babbling on this board is going to sway my feelings on the matter, nor should it sway anyone else as long as they have the facts to make informed choices,

I've done both but as far as doing non ship excursions, all it takes is once, something beyond your control. Accident, serious traffic, etc.

The guarantee sounds great - unless it doesn't work.

FWIW, on a Med Cruise with RCL, one of their own tours was left behind following an Amalfi coast tour.

Not sure how it was handled, but I am aware that it was the responsibility of RC to get them back onboard. I beleive most reputable tour compaies would do the same - their livelihood depends on their reputation.

I usually DIY for some of the same reasons cited above (by the poster who is being chastized for stating an opinion), feeling we get a better, more personalized experience at a better price. We have taken ship's tours on very rare occasions.

IMHO, the "miss the ship" scare tactic is never a good reason to dismiss the private tour option. Your own personal comfort level should be your deciding factor. How many horror stories have you read on these boards of passengers stranded due to a tardy private tour? I am also aware of private tour companies making calls to the port agant to report possible tardiness.

Some of the private tour companies are the very same ones contracted by the ship.

You could not pay me to take a cruise line excursion in most ports.

GerryM

Gonzo70 is clearly stating that you could not pay him to take a cruise in MOST ports. He's not saying that he wouldn't take a ship's excursion in any port. Some of you haven't read his actual worlds or simply don't understand them.

I do not take ship's excursions in MOST ports, but I do take them when I feel that they are a good bargain, or do the things I want to do. Just took ship's excursions in Cochin, New Mangalore, Goa and Mumbai. Goa was horrible as it focused on shopping.

I wonder how anyone can conclude from statements made that Gonzo70 has not experienced ship sponsored tours.

Edited by Orator

To all of you who defend private touring by repeating in chorus that a "reputable tour company will guarantee you get to the next port if you miss the ship for any reason", we know that. No one is arguing that won't happen.

The problem isn't that they won't step up and get you there. It is that you have to deal with the hassle of missing the ship and being transported by some other vehicle to catch the ship, which might be a couple of days away. That to me would not be enjoyable, desirable, or even acceptable. I booked a cruise. If I wanted a land vacation, traveling by bus, plane, train or whatever, I would have chosen that kind of a vacation, not a cruise.

It is the possibility of being off the ship overnight - or even days - without our personal items or a change of clothing that make some of us hesitate to take a private tour at some ports. That the ship will wait for their own tours is indeed valuable "insurance" for those that prefer it. And they shouldn't be made to feel somehow less intelligent, or timid, or incapable of doing research, or easily "herded", or of having lower standards for feeling that way.

Edited by PTMary

The problem isn't that they won't step up and get you there. It is that you have to deal with the hassle of missing the ship and being transported by some other vehicle to catch the ship, which might be a couple of days away. That to me would not be enjoyable, desirable, or even acceptable. I booked a cruise. If I wanted a land vacation, traveling by bus, plane, train or whatever, I would have chosen that kind of a vacation, not a cruise.

In all my time on Cruise Critic I have not seen a single thread about someone on a private excursion missing the ship. I am sure it has happened before, but it is EXTREMELY rare. In most ports I am able to find excursions privately that are generally not only cheaper, but smaller and more enticing than the equivalent cruise line tour. For me it is worth the minuscule risk of missing the ship in order to save money and have a better experience. I think the cruise line tries to inflate people's perception of the "risk" of private excursions since they make so much money off the excursions they sell.

In all my time on Cruise Critic I have not seen a single thread about someone on a private excursion missing the ship. I am sure it has happened before, but it is EXTREMELY rare. In most ports I am able to find excursions privately that are generally not only cheaper, but smaller and more enticing than the equivalent cruise line tour. For me it is worth the minuscule risk of missing the ship in order to save money and have a better experience. I think the cruise line tries to inflate people's perception of the "risk" of private excursions since they make so much money off the excursions they sell.

In all my years of cruising I have never been pressured by the cruise line companies to book with them to avoid being left behind on a private tour. The only place I hear of these scare tactics is here on Cruise Critic from people who abhor the thought of taking a ship tour. From my personal experience, those scare tactics are an urban myth.

We do both types of tours. We take ship tours not because we are pressured or are afraid of the risk, but for our own convenience. And we take private tours not because of the "cattle call" syndrome some claim ship tours to be, but again, for our own convenience.

Edited by sloopsailor

In all my years of cruising I have never been pressured by the cruise line companies to book with them to avoid being left behind on a private tour. The only place I hear of these scare tactics is here on Cruise Critic from people who abhor the thought of taking a ship tour. From my personal experience, those scare tactics are an urban myth.

In every Shore Excursion presentation the speaker, who is usually the Shore Excursion Manager, highlights the "you won't miss the ship" theme. They are indeed planting the seeds of fear in convincing you to book with them. I have found Managers such as Mario on Connie very helpful.

This thread should not be about Ship Excursions vs Private Excursions, but rather what are the advantages and disadvantages of each. Inexperienced cruisers could then have some information to base their personal decision. This thread has become too adversarial and less informational. What's best for one is not what's best for all. One should do what they are comfortable doing and that's my bottom line.

Edited by Orator

It is the possibility of being off the ship overnight - or even days - without our personal items or a change of clothing that make some of us hesitate to take a private tour at some ports. That the ship will wait for their own tours is indeed valuable "insurance" for those that prefer it. And they shouldn't be made to feel somehow less intelligent, or timid, or incapable of doing research, or easily "herded", or of having lower standards for feeling that way.

I think you are putting some false faith in the cruise line. There are several examples in this thread alone if situations where the ship left someone on one of their excursions. Plus common sense tells you that that could happen. If the boat is scheduled to leave at 6 pm, and then arrive at the next port at 8 am... the captain has some wiggle room on sail time based on speed, but not an unlimited amount. I can think of several things that could cause enough of a delay that the ship may have to leave you: major road closure, if tour bus is involved in a fatal accident (read a story recently of one that hit a bicycle), if you get injured on the tour and need medical care, etc.

I agree that one should do what they are comfortable doing. We all have different stress levels, wants and needs.

Completely agree. At the end of the day everyone cruises for different reasons. I travel to see and experience. The tours are my primary reason for cruising. I've been on a mix of independent tours and cruise line tours, and from my experience, I prefer independent tours. I don't feel that the 'insurance' of a cruise line tour is worthwhile enough for me to be limited in choices except in a few instances: if the tour length is almost the entire time in port or if there is a substantial amount of traveling to get from the boat to the activity. I enjoy cruising because I like to wake up in a new place every day, to travel the world but only unpack once, to control the budget by having most meals and entertainment included, etc. but I've accepted that there's always a very small chance of missing the boat and just do what is in my power to minimize it. I don't care what type of trip you take, sometimes stuff happens and you just have to roll with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

So this has happened, to your knowledge, with a reputable company? Otherwise, you're insuring against something that doesn't happen.

Stuart

I admit to having some anxiety, whenever I take a private tour or excursion, no matter what the promise of getting back to the ship on time or to the next port. This was particularly true on my most recent (repositioning) cruise where a private tour on Kona was the last port before Vancouver.[emoji51] Though I've thoroughly enjoyed almost every one I've taken over the years, there's always that little bit of concern, rolling about in the back of my head, throughout the time of the private tour or excursion.

That's why I'm delighted that many of the ports, on my upcoming Caribbean 14-nighter, have a number of late evening departures (and one overnight, too). And, Summit to Bermuda is really a private tour bonus port, IMO, with the three docked days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app