Removal of gratuities on beverage packages

Good evening

I am due to go on a sailing soon and contacted to purchase beverage packages. I was informed that the price included 18% of gratuities.

I requested that this be removed and was informed that there was no option to remove the gratuities if purchasing over the phone.

I was wondering if anyone has had any recent experience in getting the gratuity removed from drinks packages either prior to sailing or whilst onboard?

Good evening

I am due to go on a sailing soon and contacted to purchase beverage packages. I was informed that the price included 18% of gratuities.

I requested that this be removed and was informed that there was no option to remove the gratuities if purchasing over the phone.

I was wondering if anyone has had any recent experience in getting the gratuity removed from drinks packages either prior to sailing or whilst onboard?

Why would you want to remove it. don't you think the bar staff should get it?

Good evening

No, I think that's part of the drink package and you can't get rid of it. But I wish you all the best at least by trying.

Edited by johnjen

Why would you want to remove it. don't you think the bar staff should get it?

If it is a gratuity, then one of the drinks packages is for a child so I would be happy for the two adults to leave the gratuity on, but remove it for the drinks package for the child. Just personal preference

Edited by BoothenederGaz

If it is a gratuity, then one of the drinks packages is for a child so I would be happy for the two adults to leave the gratuity on, but remove it for the drinks package for the child. Just personal preference

Sorry. Not the way it works. Not happening!

Don't know how old the child is but I have been at many RCI bars where kids came up to the bar to have the bar person fill their soda cup. Wouldn't they deserve the gratuity for that?

Ah, I guess this is a hot topic. Apologies if raking over old ground. Am happy to delete the thread if I can

Any thread discussing the removal of gratuities is, as you've now surmised, a hot topic. Playing the child card will simply fan the coals.

Sorry, but 18% is mandatory tip whether you purchase your drink package prior to sailing or on board. Even if you purchase drinks with out the drink package 18% is automatically added to your bar bill. Yes, it more like a service charge then gratuity and there is no way around it. Good try. You are more then free is add an additional tip (above 18%) on to the bar bill or give extra in cash.

So you don't tip for your child when they go into a restaurant? Is it like, look at the receipt, subtract the price of the kids meal, and tip 15%? So, tipping $1.45 per day is excessive for service rendered in a service industry?

When I go on a cruise, I have and care about only one price. The total. In that total, includes transportation (air/car/parking), hotel (night before if I decide on it), taxes, tips, port charges, cruise fare, excursion budget, drink package, specialty restaurants etc. I add it all up, and that is my price. I pay for it all before the trip, (except for the car/gas/parking).

The cruise is one price, the cruise fare, tips, port charge and tax. (Just one price) If you want to save money on that one price, change your room to a inside. But don't take the tip away, and than upgrade your room.

BoothenederGaz, you have been gracious in this thread even when others here have not been.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Thank you

May I ask your opinion on Serenade ship as I notice from your signature that you have sailed on her several times. First time I have cruised with Royal Caribbean so not familiar with the fleet.

Edited by BoothenederGaz

All drinks That have a cost incur gratuities. Yes even your kids soda or milkshake. You pay it whether you have a package or buy it piecemeal

The age of the person has nothing to do with it

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

As you saw already, some did not give you a warm welcome. This is a place to ask and answer all cruise questions, so ask away! Just beware that some overreact and let you know truly the type of person they are.

I can't help with your Serenade question. I've been on almost all of the different RCI classes with the exception of the Radiance class, which Serenade is part of. However, I am trying it out on the Jewel next month and I cannot wait. These days, the Serenade is on the smaller side, but not as small as the classics of the 90s. The adult solarium on this class looks amazing, which is certainly one aspect I am looking forward to! enjoy your cruise!

Can't be removed on ANY cruiseline that I know of. All beverages and beverage packages have Gratuities attached. While you can remove other types of Dailey Service Charges the ones attached to beverages can not be removed. This is for Adults or Children

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can't remove gratuities off a beverage package. That is the tax, like going into a store and buying a pack of beer, you are taxed.

If your point is that neither a tax nor a gratuity can be removed I completely agree with you. But I don't think it is fair to say a gratuity equates to a tax. They are very different things.

Hopefully it does not come across as snarky, but just to give you something to think about that you may have not. Most of the salary that the crew who do receive tips comes from tips (not any different than a bar or a restaurant in the states), their base salary is lower than non tipped employees and it is made up by their tips from customers (in the end they will make more money in these positions). Not sure what package you are buying for your child but if it is the soda package it is only $1.27/day. Whether your child drinks one or ten sodas it does not matter. I would assume it would be a minimum of 3/day or it would not be worth purchasing. Every time the bar staff stops to refill your child's cup that is time they could be making a drink that you feel is worth a tip. Whether or not they are mixing a drink or not, it is still consuming their time that is used to make tips. The bar staff are actually the ones who get screwed with the drink packages, they are hired with a base salary and are suppose to get 15% of what they serve. With the packages they only get 15% of what people paid for not what they served. For this reason we tip an extra dollar a round for good service or service in the theaters.

Hopefully it does not come across as snarky, but just to give you something to think about that you may have not. Most of the salary that the crew who do receive tips comes from tips (not any different than a bar or a restaurant in the states), their base salary is lower than non tipped employees and it is made up by their tips from customers (in the end they will make more money in these positions). Not sure what package you are buying for your child but if it is the soda package it is only $1.27/day. Whether your child drinks one or ten sodas it does not matter. I would assume it would be a minimum of 3/day or it would not be worth purchasing. Every time the bar staff stops to refill your child's cup that is time they could be making a drink that you feel is worth a tip. Whether or not they are mixing a drink or not, it is still consuming their time that is used to make tips. The bar staff are actually the ones who get screwed with the drink packages, they are hired with a base salary and are suppose to get 15% of what they serve. With the packages they only get 15% of what people paid for not what they served. For this reason we tip an extra dollar a round for good service or service in the theaters.

Many thanks. I am not from the States, or ever visited as an adult, so was not aware of the reasoning or requirement behind tipping so really appreciate that.

On reflection, and appraised of the full reasoning behind this, whilst I had no option, I am however more than happy to pay the gratuities for all members of our party.

Edited by BoothenederGaz

May I ask your opinion on Serenade ship as I notice from your signature that you have sailed on her several times. First time I have cruised with Royal Caribbean so not familiar with the fleet.

Serenade is a great ship with good crew. If you want to read more, simply click on that ship's link at the top of the page.